DVD Movies: ISO vs VOB ( & inter convertibility) for Network Media Streamer from a NA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVD Movies: ISO vs VOB ( & inter convertibility) for Network Media Streamer from a NAS

I typically convert / backup my DVDs to ISOs - Sometimes DVD5 and DVD9 onto my 1TB HDD.

Now some Network Media Players will play VOBs without an issue, some of the newer small brand like Popcorn hour will also play ISOs.

The motivation with having a single ISO was that they are easier to manage and if I ever want to BURN them to play in a normal DVD player at a location not at home then it would work.

The motivation with having them in VOBs is that some of the players only support VOBs and not ISOs (ala PS3). (Not sure about XBox 360)

The key question is are the VOBs (and relevant files) such that they can be dropped into Nero or similar burner and they would burn to a recordable DVD just like that and play normally in DVD Players.

i.e. Is VOB + Files in Folder <---> ISO conversion non-cryptic both ways? especially after original CSS crap / copy protection was taken care of when backing it up?

If it is then I can just RIP into VOBs from now on instead of ISOs and also extract existing ISOs into folders... IN CASE I BUY a player that supports ISOs and not VOBs.

(This is assuming ofcourse all DVD functionality remains intact)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The answer to your question is yes assuming your are ripping your DVD to IFO/VOB correctly (ripping files into VIDEO_TS folder in same structure as it was on the DVD). All you need to do in nero is select DVD-Video option in software and just drag the files in your ViIDEO_TS folder on your pc into the VIDEO_TS folder created by nero. It will pay fine with menus and everything (that is if you kept the menus).

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2008, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post

i.e. Is VOB + Files in Folder <---> ISO conversion non-cryptic both ways? especially after original CSS crap / copy protection was taken care of when backing it up?

Something to consider. Ja Phule's scenario should work for you just fine. But say you sit down on the couch and point your VOB only media streamer to one of your rips. You spend some time clicking around the folder with the remote to find the lowest numbered VOB that is 1gig in size (presumably the start of the movie). You press play, after the studio splash the credit start to roll, and the music swells, music swells, music swells....

then you realize that you are seeing the titles in english, spanish, and french. Alternating in 5 second intervals.

Because the player is playing the raw VOB, it has no IFO information about angles, and the foreign language titles are on alternate camera angles.

I saw this on Dumbo. And on one of the toy story disks they 'interlaced' bonus material into the main movie VOB so that the screen would flash between a scene in full color, and then artists concept sketches in black & white.

I had to go back and re-rip those and pull out the extra angles.

This might be a very rare situation.

I usually play ISOs ( via XBMC ) for things I intend to watch once & then erase. If I want to archive a flick I'll rip main movie and AutoGK it to Xvid (Keeping DTS or DD5.1 fully intact).
post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

I am hoping and assuming that this VOB player is SMARTER than that. I am guessing PS3 (the VOB/IFO but currently NON-ISO) currently plays this correctly. I might be wrong.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-22-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am hoping and assuming that this VOB player is SMARTER than that. I am guessing PS3 (the VOB/IFO but currently NON-ISO) currently plays this correctly. I might be wrong.

not in my experience. It does not how to play IFO's just basic MPEG2.

Sean
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

not in my experience. It does not how to play IFO's just basic MPEG2.

Sean

So you're saying that the PS3 at this point with its latest firmware does not play DVDs (in VOB in a Folder with IFO files) in the way a normal DVD Player or ISO Player such as an NMT Player or XBMC does.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

So you're saying that the PS3 at this point with its latest firmware does not play DVDs (in VOB in a Folder with IFO files) in the way a normal DVD Player or ISO Player such as an NMT Player or XBMC does.

Absolutely correct it does not over the network. it will play a disc you put in the slot.... it will play mpeg2 over the network but there is alot more to DVD than just the main mpeg2 stream.

Sean
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page