slingbox alternative? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-27-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at getting a slingbox so a family member could watch our analog cable TV channel lineup while they are temporarily out of the country. However, I just realized that my DELL desktop has a video card with a coax cable input.

When I first got the PC back in about 2003, I remember installing some software that basically allowed me to watch my basic analog cable TV channels. I didn't really wind up using it all that much, but I am now wondering if I can somehow use this video card to also maybe have some sort of slingbox feature for my family member.

Any suggestions on how to do this with the hardware I have? What special software should I maybe look into in order to achieve this?

"It Never Ends"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post

[Wants Slingbox alternative; has PC with a video card.]

Start by checking Orb.

East Lansing (Lansing, MI DMA) A/V enthusiast getting content from xfinity, Netflix, OTA and off the shelf-o'-discs. A 4228 in the attic is almost good enough.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 AM

I have been looking for a good solution, for another reason, and have encountered two products similar to the slingbox. They both have a virtual remote control (so the remote viewer can change the channel). There are as follows:

My HAVA
http://www.myhava.com

Pinnacle PCTV to Go
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...D+Wireless.htm
post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm going to preface this by saying I am not a fanboy of any kind. Just a value conscious - bang for the buck end user.

I can't imagine anything easier to setup & used then the end to end slingbox solution.
Just like TiVo, the SB has got the customer experience down to perfection.

I set mine's up in less than 30 minutes via the sling's powerline adapters & because i will be working in another city for most of the weeks going forward, I will be able to catch what's on my DVR live or recorded.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post

Start by checking Orb.

This is what I have been using for about 2 months now...I really like it, and it works well. I was travelling in Europe in late-June and was able to watch my stuff from home via Orb, no problems. Best part, it is FREE.

-Dave
-There are Ten Thunders in the Wake: The Seventh Thunder is Tribal Man again. --Triumph 1984
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder7 View Post

This is what I have been using for about 2 months now...I really like it, and it works well. I was travelling in Europe in late-June and was able to watch my stuff from home via Orb, no problems. Best part, it is FREE.

How's the latency/lag on orb?
I used it on my WinMobile PDA phone & found it laggy but have never tried it on a PC/laptop.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clettsome View Post

I have been looking for a good solution, for another reason, and have encountered two products similar to the slingbox. They both have a virtual remote control (so the remote viewer can change the channel). There are as follows:

My HAVA
http://www.myhava.com

Pinnacle PCTV to Go
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...D+Wireless.htm

Pinnacle is a rebranded Hava ...

I have a Hava pro and it's been working flawlessly since I got it. It was dirt cheap (price wise) also. I LOVE the mediacenter integration since it behaves just like a TV tuner card.
The only I dislike is that updates don't come as fast as they use to and the lack of API to do more with it (use it under linux with something else than RTSP).

A/V Enthousiast ...
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 04:55 AM

Hey all,

I realize most people who are using Sling box type products are mostly looking to view on the go via mobile device or laptop. But what about if you looking for a high quality output. I cant seem to find anything with an output better than Component Analog and nothing promises better then 720p resolution.

I realize when watching on a killer 20" laptop screen this is adequate but anything thing else and its simply cruddy. Anyone heard of any thing I can connect a 55" + In a rich guys 2nd home in central America? he told me "I wanna watch football live and duck dynasty" Duck Dynasty? ... Well any help would be appreciated.

Peter
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page