post #1261 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

My bad; I do tend to just say PCH, and forget there is an A-100 out there (OTOH, this is the A-110 Owners Thread). As far as AVRs, you mean if they don't decode those codecs?

CD

yep. lots of perfectly nice avr's don't support those codecs. but they can still accept 7.1 lpcm.

the point i was trying to make depends upon looking at pch from an alternate perspective where you don't necessary have a system taylored to the pch.

i think you are only using the file format you use becasue that works for bitstreaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

the point i was trying to make depends upon looking at pch from an alternate perspective where you don't necessary have a system taylored to the pch.

Then with your system in place perhaps a better approach would have been to research whether the PCH is taylored (sic) to your system. It took about one minute to find this post by a moderator of their forums -

"The easy answer is, multi channel Flac won't play on a NMT.
2 channel support only."

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1263 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Hey guys,

starting to get pretty frusterated with this devise.

So i went out and bought an internal hd from futureshop and then looking at an install video it looks like I need a little power cable that runs from the hd to the motherboard. That supposidly comes with the popcorn hour? I DON"T SEE IT? do you have to purchase the B-110 to get it?
post #1264 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM

I may be misunderstanding you but if you're talking about installing an int hd in the PCH you don't need any cables, just plug the hd into the device.
post #1265 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypresss View Post

Hey guys,

So i went out and bought an internal hd from futureshop and then looking at an install video it looks like I need a little power cable that runs from the hd to the motherboard. That supposidly comes with the popcorn hour? I DON"T SEE IT? do you have to purchase the B-110 to get it?

I believe the video you are viewing is for the A-100 not the A-110. There is no adapter required for the A-110. Power to the drive is provided via the SATA connector to which you will attach your hard drive.
post #1266 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Hey guys,

Cypresss, I am sorry to say you sound pretty lost. I'm assuming, from the sound of things, you've got yourself a good, old-fashioned IDE drive. Who said the PCH is supposed to come with the "power cable" for this antique? And seriously...I know I'm probably going to take some crap for this post...but do you honestly think you're now supposed to buy the $199 B-110 in order to get the "power cable" for your hard drive to work in the A-110?

Now watch, this guy will go in some other forum and trash the PCH as being no good.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #1267 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Then with your system in place perhaps a better approach would have been to research whether the PCH is taylored (sic) to your system. It took about one minute to find this post by a moderator of their forums -

"The easy answer is, multi channel Flac won't play on a NMT.
2 channel support only."

to simplify, you just said....

the player doesn't play multichannel flac.

i thought that is basically what i said to the other poster which is why you are irritated with me to begin with.
post #1268 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM

CdLamer, I am not trashing this device just frusterated as I have been having some issues. Other then that the device looks really good. I viewed this video here and it looked like I needed some special wire.
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2008/07/...-popcorn-hour/

I went back to futureshop and got an IDE to Sata Power adapter and Serial ATA 2.0 Cable. I'll try this and see if it works.
post #1269 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM

wow that was ez. I wasted a 50 min drive to get 2 wires I didn't need. This is a stupid day for me. I think I am lacking sleep hardcore. So now I got it installed in there gotta try to figure this out, anyone have a good video explaining how to map that network drive and do I install some firmware for the wd hd i got?
post #1270 of 2788 Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Ok wasted some solid time tonight trying to figure some stuff out and nothing wants to work. I am now trying to deal with the Wireless setup and hard drive and having issues. It doesn't find a network when I do the wireless auto setup. Does anyone have some pointers on how to do wireless manual setup? I can't connect to the internet threw a wire so please no one suggest that but I can plug a ethernet cable from my computer to my pch device. That doesn't give me internet though does it? Thanks in advance.
post #1271 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok wasted some solid time tonight trying to figure some stuff out and nothing wants to work. I am now trying to deal with the Wireless setup and hard drive and having issues. It doesn't find a network when I do the wireless auto setup. Does anyone have some pointers on how to do wireless manual setup? I can't connect to the internet threw a wire so please no one suggest that but I can plug a ethernet cable from my computer to my pch device. That doesn't give me internet though does it? Thanks in advance.

you are bouncing around trying to get a lot of things to work all at once.

you should pick something and work on just that for a bit and when it is working move on to the next thing.

the instructions for setting up the drive are in the quick start guide under "Setting up the full NMT application suite"

can you read and write files on the drive you installed?
post #1272 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

to simplify, you just said....

the player doesn't play multichannel flac.

i thought that is basically what i said to the other poster which is why you are irritated with me to begin with.

No it's because you quoted someone's question about BD rips and made it about continuing your own agenda about FLAC.

I will say the A-110 product page lists FLAC and should container a disclaimer about multi-channel. Perhaps it is time to cut your losses and look into conversion processes?

Gary J

post #1273 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps it is time to take a step back and get a better understanding of the basics of the device from the Wiki.

Gary J

post #1274 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

No it's because you quoted someone's question about BD rips and made it about continuing your own agenda about FLAC.

I will say the A-110 product page lists FLAC and should container a disclaimer about multi-channel. Perhaps it is time to cut your losses and look into conversion processes?

I responded to Alan Gouger, he is an AVS administrator who has been posting in the bd forums for years.

he was asking similar questions in the HDM forums a few weeks ago and he also noted he has a wd player which i also have.

when i read the other responses to him i felt that there was a piece of information that might be relevant to him that was missing.

it may seem irrelevant to you. but, some people have been ripping bd for a long time and have a lot of files that are mkv/flac.

i think the pch is a great gizmo. you have no reason to be on this witch hunt against me.
post #1275 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 05:40 AM

My A-110 is on order. I am planning to purchase a 1TB WD Caviar Green harddrive to go in it. If I purchase an OEM version of the drive (ie no cables, screws, etc come with drive), can anyone tell me if I can install it into the A-110 as is, or will I need to purchase anything else to get it to work. If the latter, can anyone recommend specifics? Thanks
post #1276 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpatt View Post

My A-110 is on order. I am planning to purchase a 1TB WD Caviar Green harddrive to go in it. If I purchase an OEM version of the drive (ie no cables, screws, etc come with drive), can anyone tell me if I can install it into the A-110 as is, or will I need to purchase anything else to get it to work. If the latter, can anyone recommend specifics? Thanks

that is the drive i am using. i had no problems. the screws you need come with the a110.

have fun with your new pch it is the best device of its type that exists IMO.
post #1277 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Ok wasted some solid time tonight trying to figure some stuff out and nothing wants to work. I am now trying to deal with the Wireless setup and hard drive and having issues. It doesn't find a network when I do the wireless auto setup. Does anyone have some pointers on how to do wireless manual setup? I can't connect to the internet threw a wire so please no one suggest that but I can plug a ethernet cable from my computer to my pch device. That doesn't give me internet though does it?

Have you visited the main support site and read the wiki? There is lots of information there, but it is a bit hard to find. Tha PCH does not have wireless capabilities and you have to use a dongle connected to your ethernet port. You will need a twisted pair ethernet cable for direct connection to your PC, but that will not give you internet access.

The ideal connection is wired ethernet cable to your router.

The PCH is not a plug and play device, and like any other interconnected computer requires careful configuration, e.g., making sure that your firewall and router allows access, and much more.
post #1278 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

you have to use a dongle connected to your ethernet port

Actually USB port.

Gary J

post #1279 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

wow that was ez. I wasted a 50 min drive to get 2 wires I didn't need. This is a stupid day for me. I think I am lacking sleep hardcore. So now I got it installed in there gotta try to figure this out, anyone have a good video explaining how to map that network drive and do I install some firmware for the wd hd i got?

Oh, you're having a STOOPID day and I'm CDLamer? Yeah, time for a new policy: from now on I'll just laugh at the clueless, such as yourself...and go and actually watch my PCH, while you tinker around and don't even know how to install a harddrive. From your proficiency and juvenile put-down, my guess is you're 17? Couldn't your Mom have helped you, instead of bothering us?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #1280 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 AM

Liked: 13
Had the A-110 for only 2 days and am dissappointed. It is playing MKVs no problem, it is playing my m2ts HD video files from my Sony SR11 but it simply will not play my 20 gig AVI files captured from an older Sony TRV900. I even tried to run it though TVersity with transcoding and it won't play audio. Even my xBox 360 can play them back. Just found another bug, if I try to play a slide show of HD stills, jpgs that are 3680x2070 it locks the Popcorn requiring a flip of the switch in the back. I was hoping everything would work smoothly before installing YAMJ and some cool skins. With all the hype around this product I think it falls short. And yes, the latest frimware is installed.

Jerry
post #1281 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

mkv is a container format. For example, you can put video, audio and subtitle streams into it.

there are some nice tools that support it. basically it is a free/open source container format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

there is no reduction in quality if you use the an original video encode and flac audio. flac is a lossless audio codec that is free/open source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flac

you mainly save space by throwing out everything except the main video/audio/subtitles you want.

i had been hoping the pch would play my mkv files but it doesn't. however, it is still better then what i had in my bedroom because it can play standard dvd iso files.

OK but you can do everything you said with .ts or .m2ts remuxxing.

so whats the benefit? seems like you are just complicating the problem by adding an unecessary conversion step...

Sean
post #1282 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

from your past posts, i think you know more about the pch then i do. so, i might have some wrong ideas. only had mine for a few days.

anyway, PCH passes both TrueHD and DTS HD MA but only the A110 and it uses bitstreaming to do it.

what if you don't have an avr that can decode the bitstream from pch?

PCM is always an option. I have not explored options beyond that and all 4 of my HT's have receivers which can decode DTS-MA and TrueHD.... so for me its a non issue...

Sean
post #1283 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

What are the current capabilities of the A-100 and A-110 in terms of streaming linear PCM video soundtracks over HDMI?

I have a suspicion that the answer is stereo only, not 5.1. Is that correct?

The documentation for this device is all over the place....so unlike many devices, read the fine manual does not always apply with this device. Plus features change pretty often with the firmware updates!

There is no manual so its impossible to read it

Sad but true... This is the first product I have ever purchased that has no user guide....

Sean
post #1284 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

Have you visited the main support site and read the wiki? There is lots of information there, but it is a bit hard to find. Tha PCH does not have wireless capabilities and you have to use a dongle connected to your ethernet port. You will need a twisted pair ethernet cable for direct connection to your PC, but that will not give you internet access.

The ideal connection is wired ethernet cable to your router.

The PCH is not a plug and play device, and like any other interconnected computer requires careful configuration, e.g., making sure that your firewall and router allows access, and much more.

Ya I have been to the wiki site but maybe I'll take a slower read through it today and try to fully understand this device. What do you mean the PCH does not have wireless capabilities? I bought the WN-100 and plugged that into the back usb drive. That should make it wireless no? I'll look into what you mean by having to use a dongle connected to your ethernet port.
post #1285 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Incollingo View Post

Had the A-110 for only 2 days and am dissappointed. It is playing MKVs no problem, it is playing my m2ts HD video files from my Sony SR11 but it simply will not play my 20 gig AVI files captured from an older Sony TRV900. I even tried to run it though TVersity with transcoding and it won't play audio. Even my xBox 360 can play them back. Just found another bug, if I try to play a slide show of HD stills, jpgs that are 3680x2070 it locks the Popcorn requiring a flip of the switch in the back. I was hoping everything would work smoothly before installing YAMJ and some cool skins. With all the hype around this product I think it falls short. And yes, the latest frimware is installed.

Jerry

Sorry to hear... I have locked mine up several times trying to slide show jpeg files from various cameras...

What's the bitrate on the AVI's.... The mediainfo tool seems provide such useful information....

Cheers,
Sean
post #1286 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

OK but you can do everything you said with .ts or .m2ts remuxxing.

so whats the benefit? seems like you are just complicating the problem by adding an unecessary conversion step...

Sean

i am not going to respond further on this topic in this thread. i don't have an "agenda" and if i try to explain further why i am using mkv/flac files it will just make things worse and run further off topic.

i just came here to report my findings and to make sure that the playback problems with mkv/flac were not just something i was doing wrong.

i am happy with my files as-is. i am also very happy with the pch. it does the job i wanted it for better than anything else i have used. i tested a dozen different file formats i want to support and it only failed in this one case.

if they update mkv support on pch per my suggestions then i will be even happier.
post #1287 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Is the wiki page under network configuration just talking about wired or can the same steps be performed in wireless too? I may have to take this devise to a buddies house where I can get wired internet so I can configure the hard drive atleast and then worry about the wireless setup another time maybe.
post #1288 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i am not going to respond further on this topic in this thread. i don't have an "agenda" and if i try to explain further why i am using mkv/flac files it will just make things worse and run further off topic.

i just came here to report my findings and to make sure that the playback problems with mkv/flac were not just something i was doing wrong.

i am happy with my files as-is. i am also very happy with the pch. it does the job i wanted it for better than anything else i have used. i tested a dozen different file formats i want to support and it only failed in this one case.

if they update mkv support on pch per my suggestions then i will be even happier.

I was not trying to beat you up. I thought I might be missing something. it seems from further reading of your posts its that you dont have a receiver that decodes the modern codecs. Therefore I can see why FLAC would be attractive as an alternative to PCM (would be smaller on disk). I am assuming then that only the MKV container allows multichannel FLAC as embedded audio.

Cheers
Sean
post #1289 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

I was not trying to beat you up. I thought I might be missing something. it seems from further reading of your posts its that you dont have a receiver that decodes the modern codecs. Therefore I can see why FLAC would be attractive as an alternative to PCM (would be smaller on disk). I am assuming then that only the MKV container allows multichannel FLAC as embedded audio.

Cheers
Sean

sorry, i didn't mean to imply that you were beating me up. fyi, there are threads on the networked media tank forum on flac and mkv if you really care to understand gory details.
post #1290 of 2788 Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Cypresss,

Have you spent some time at the NMT web site?

You can hook the device up to your network via ethernet, a usb dongle, or a wireless bridge. You could do the last two if a wired connection is not present.

You can also put the firmware updates onto a usb stick.

Nuff said.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page