Official SONOS owners thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #271 of 1016 Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hear you but Sonos is trying to address the home with no wiring for audio. Having an iPhone or Android phone in your pocket really makes the wall pad not necessary. It is funny. At first I really didn't like building music queues. Now I can't think of building up music any other way. I have the preamplifier version for the living room and the amplified for the outside speakers. More than enough for me but my house is tiny by most standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1016 Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think Sonos has 2 main advantages that they should be marketing:

1) As you mentioned, a perfect solution for homes that aren't pre-wired
2) A great interface, controller, and music source for the home

They are obviously doing a good job of marketing both of these, but I think they could do better on the latter. I agree with you on the keypads, ultimately, keypads are likely a dying breed. You are much more likely, IMO, to see hardwired touchscreens in select locations which offer a vast array of functionality(ie iPads). I think Sonos should release a "whole house unit" which would offer multiple powered zones under its current control scheme. This could be marketed to those with home wiring with or without dedicated keypads/volume controls. Maybe this would be the ultimate solution, reducing the need for pricey keypads that only offer one function.

Regardless, the Sonos system looks great to me, I just have to figure out a way to justify the cost
post #273 of 1016 Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I would also add that it just works. I have tried too many things that occasionally crashed or had glitches. Then you spend 20 minutes trying to figure out what iswrong. Sonos is very easy and always works.
post #274 of 1016 Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

Figured since the thread had died out, I could hijack it for a Sonos question, and give it some purpose! While I am not an owner, I am appealing to Sonos owners for some educated guidance.

I am in a relatively new house and when we built it, we had wiring run for volume controls, speakers, etc throughout the house. We had someone come in and install a "budget" distributed audio system, which was really just volume control knobs, speakers, and an amp to power all of the zones.

While the system works, it isn't very sexy, nor extremely user friendly. We find that we don't use it very often simply because how you have to get it going.

I finally stumbled upon Sonos, and I could really envision it helping us utilize our system more. With the ability to control the system throughout the house on our phones, iPad, etc I think we would find it to be much more useful.

My question is really how to best utilize Sonos given our setup....

What would you all recommend to enhance our system? Would it be better to save for a true distributed audio system (replace volume control knobs with display keypads, etc)? Any thought on whether Sonos may ever release some sort of keypad themselves?

My house was wired for and A-Bus system (which sucks). It sends low watt sound over ethernet to volume controls that then attach to speakers. It was nothing but trouble.

I replaced everything with Sonos boxes and couldn't be happier.

Here are some things I did and some tips:

First iPod touches are cheaper than contollers, but will not have the same range. Each Sonos box acts as a proprietary WiFi repeater and so if your WiFi router is far away the iPod may not be able to connect.

Amplified Sonos boxes can have 2 sets of speakers connected to them (see Sonos support site).

I have a receiver that I leave on connected to my non-amplified Sonos box. I can still control volume as long as the receiver is left at a decent level.

The S5 is great. If you can't run speaker wire, use one of those. You can also connect 2 and assign one to be a left speaker and the other to be a right.

The PC software does more than the iPod software.

I have various rooms setup to turn on at different times in the morning. My beroom wakes me up, and the kitchen plays the radio a little later.
post #275 of 1016 Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

Regardless, the Sonos system looks great to me, I just have to figure out a way to justify the cost

Start off slowly, maybe 3-4 zones initially and add more as you see fit. Since you already have a distribution amp from your old system, use that to power up a party zone that won't need individual volume control...or use your existing volume controls. Since you don't need multi source adding Sonos to your existing system seems like a no brainer.

Or wait it all out.....Apple's Airplay is getting lot's of third party support in 2011. I have a feeling that they're gonna bring networked AV right into the mainstream. For audio only, SONOS outclasses the Apple solution but when video is added to the mix, the scales begin to tip quite steeply for the Apple option. iOS apps like remote for iTouch/Pad and Sonos were Apple's 'Trojan Horse' so to speak. With newer iPhones coming and older G units selling for less than $100 the apps make lots of sense for repurposing these devices as controllers on the cheap.
post #276 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM

I added a jpg to show my initial thoughts for a speaker setup.

I basically want 2 dual Zones. (with ability to add 3rd Basement zone in the future)

1st Zone is Master Bedroom and Master Bathroom.
I want to be able to select Bedroom speakers only, bathroom speakers only or both.

2nd Zone is Living Room which already has Sony STR-DH810 Amp. (No speakers purchased yet) I want to be able to select Living Room only, Kitchen only, or both.

So equipment needed:
Zone 1:
ZP120
Speaker Selector Switch (with impedence matching)
4 In Ceiling Speakers (thinking monoprice)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Zone 2:
ZP90 (since using A/V Amp)
Think I can use Amp as speaker selector switch.

Future Zone 3:
ZP120 + Speakers.

Other:
BR100 for Wifi Bridge...

Does this sound correct?
Am I missing anything?
Is there anything I can do better setup wise?
Can someone suggest a good inwall speaker selector for my bedroom?
Wiring my speakers are easy since I have access to ceiling above in all rooms.

Where is best spot in bedroom to put ZP120? Will I typically need access to it or can I leave it up in my attic?

Thanks
LL
post #277 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

I
So equipment needed:
Zone 1:
ZP120
Speaker Selector Switch (with impedence matching)
4 In Ceiling Speakers (thinking monoprice)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Zone 2:
ZP90 (since using A/V Amp)
Think I can use Amp as speaker selector switch.

Future Zone 3:
ZP120 + Speakers.

Other:
BR100 for Wifi Bridge...

[...]

Where is best spot in bedroom to put ZP120? Will I typically need access to it or can I leave it up in my attic?

If you can hardwire the ZP-90 then you will likely not need a BR-100. Don't put the ZP-120 anywhere where it will get too hot or dusty, you could put it on the top shelf of a closet if you can get electricity there...
post #278 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Or wait it all out.....Apple's Airplay is getting lot's of third party support in 2011. I have a feeling that they're gonna bring networked AV right into the mainstream. For audio only, SONOS outclasses the Apple solution but when video is added to the mix, the scales begin to tip quite steeply for the Apple option. iOS apps like remote for iTouch/Pad and Sonos were Apple's 'Trojan Horse' so to speak. With newer iPhones coming and older G units selling for less than $100 the apps make lots of sense for repurposing these devices as controllers on the cheap.

I had a SONOS system all planned out, but AirPlay is making a seriously good value proposition.

Yes, it's missing SONOSNET and other SONOS goodness, but with $99 per zone (video included: ATV2) and 3rd party AirPlay-compatible stuff rolling out, it's putting a question mark over all of my elaborate SONOS dreams...

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #279 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I considered that (already have an ATV2) but the requirement to run a computer with iTunes puts me off. This of course includes the need to reformat everything to Apple's wishing!
post #280 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

I had a SONOS system all planned out, but AirPlay is making a seriously good value proposition.

Yes, it's missing SONOSNET and other SONOS goodness, but with $99 per zone (video included: ATV2) and 3rd party AirPlay-compatible stuff rolling out, it's putting a question mark over all of my elaborate SONOS dreams...

Disclaimer (I'm a Sonos fanboy)

Sync not perfect with airplay at least in the system I got to fiddle with and believe me it's annoying.

You'll still have to pony up for amplification unless you already have it.

Sonosnet HUGE advantage over standard wifi regardless of G/N/2,4ghz/5ghz.

As previously stated, Airplay must have itunes running on a computer. A NAS even with a itunes server will not work and that's a big one for me but maybe not for you.

I was all set to use airplay and an ATV2 for streaming netflix and photo slideshows to my living/bedroom because while my bluray players are fine with netflix, they kind of suck for photos. In the end the requirement to have one of my computers on running itunes was a deal breaker for me.

If the above limitation is ever overcome I'll setup an ATV2/Airplay system, but even if it wasn't a limitation and I was just starting out I would still get Sonos for my music streaming needs.

Jgiddyup
post #281 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

Sync not perfect with airplay at least in the system I got to fiddle with and believe me it's annoying.

As previously stated, Airplay must have itunes running on a computer. A NAS even with a itunes server will not work and that's a big one for me but maybe not for you.

I was all set to use airplay and an ATV2 for streaming netflix and photo slideshows to my living/bedroom because while my bluray players are fine with netflix, they kind of suck for photos. In the end the requirement to have one of my computers on running itunes was a deal breaker for me.

If the above limitation is ever overcome I'll setup an ATV2/Airplay system, but even if it wasn't a limitation and I was just starting out I would still get Sonos for my music streaming needs.

Sonos does do audio only streaming very well, but at a significant cost and amplified modules are no bargain over budget stereo receivers or stereo amps. What Airplay now does with video streaming and controllability and waht it promises to do in the future, IMO is a death blow to Sonos and other music streamers like it. Those wishing to disagree with my prediction should take note as i'll be referring to this post when it happens. Everyone has their feelings on Apple and iTunes but in truth, when looking at the format and capabilities of a well organized iTunes library i'm not sure there's ANY justification in the complaints. Especially on the video side with standard def DVDs and Metadata, H.264 files are much smaller than their counterparts and stream quite effortlessly and with excellent quality. For hidef audio, Apple Lossless is an excellent format with respectable file sizes and when streamed via Airports, bit perfect output to the DAC of your choice.
post #282 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My four zones sync just fine, every time.
Airplay enables streaming audio content directly from an iDevice as well, so no PC needed for streaming audio and app content.

No need for PC to be on to stream Netflix

I'd rather 'pony up' for amps of my choice or use what i already have than be locked into the amps in a Sonos system. The comparable unamplified modules are in fact a better deal.
post #283 of 1016 Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

My four zones sync just fine, every time.
Airplay enables streaming audio content directly from an iDevice as well, so no PC needed for streaming audio and app content.

No need for PC to be on to stream Netflix

Important point, sir.

I rent TV shows directly on my iPod Touch and stream them in HD with 5.1 surround directly from my Touch to my ATV2. PC off.

I dunno - I have mad love for SONOS, but Airplay is sweet and economical...

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #284 of 1016 Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 AM

Ditto jgiddyup

Sonus is such a good system - I still think it is one of my two top all time purchases for A/V
post #285 of 1016 Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone need some ZP120's NIB from a cancelled job ? pm me. Thx
post #286 of 1016 Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

You need to clear some space for PM's... PM me with how many and how much of you can...
post #287 of 1016 Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avale View Post
The ZP90 allows you to adjust line level which will change volume of the music. A few negatives to this approach is you always need to keep the amp on or go over to the amp and turn it on each time you want music. You aren't going to get remote volume control with a single sonos and amp. How many zones are we talking about? We had whole house audio in our last house and truly only the living room and outside speakers were ever used. Sonos with ease of turning on, adjusting and streaming from the likes of Padora has really increased the numbers of times we listen to music.
You can have remote volume control if you have the ZP90 connected to a networked amp (in my case, the onkyo 807) and use the Oremote and Sonos apps with an iPad (iPhone and iPod also work). The Oremote app allows full control of the amp from anywhere in the house, and of course, the Sonos app gives you full control of your tunes in addition to line level adjustments.

Kind of redundant using the Sonos with a network receiver, but the Sonos play and interface IMO is much cleaner than the native 807 interface.
post #288 of 1016 Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

I am interested, how much is the cost?
post #289 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Curious if anyone on this thread is using the Ipad with Sonos control software? I'm thinking about using the Sonos system in my home. My plan is Ipad control, ZP90's and storing my Apple Lossless collection on my server. Ever ZP90 will be Ethernet hard wired....

Any comments on personal experience with a similar setup is appreciated.

Tony
post #290 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Curious if anyone on this thread is using the Ipad with Sonos control software? I'm thinking about using the Sonos system in my home. My plan is Ipad control, ZP90's and storing my Apple Lossless collection on my server. Ever ZP90 will be Ethernet hard wired....

Tony

I'm using an iPad, an iPod Touch, and pc controllers depending on who's controlling from which room. Most of my music is in Flac and stored on my home server and I couldn't be happier with the entire system. I'm looking forward to the upcoming control app for Android too.
post #291 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

I'm using an iPad, an iPod Touch, and pc controllers depending on who's controlling from which room. Most of my music is in Flac and stored on my home server and I couldn't be happier with the entire system. I'm looking forward to the upcoming control app for Android too.

Thanks Mark. I assume I don't need to have itunes involved at all unless I'm managing metadata? How are you managing your flac collection in terms of metadata, cover art, etc? Does the metadata information (including cover art) carry over to the Sonos controller on your ipad?
post #292 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks Mark. I assume them I don't need to have itunes involved at all unless I'm managing metadata? How are you managing your flac collection in terms of metadata, cover art, etc? Does the metadata information (including cover art) carry over to the Sonos controller on your ipad?

I'm using the iPad as well (also Android phone or PCs as above depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing). I, however, only stream lossy audio (90 GB or so) and I do use iTunes as my primary management tool. Sonos has been working great with the only hitch being that some artwork doesn't automatically appear in their software. They've recommended an exe to remedy this, but it sure would be nice if this was all automated.

The iPad's been great, however. Pleasant interface, and Sonos streaming, of course, is pretty flawless IMO.
post #293 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Also, FYI, just be aware that your file source needs to be hard-wired to your router (something often missed in their documentation). Other than that, Sonos wireless has been perfect for me without any issues.
post #294 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
Also, FYI, just be aware that your file source needs to be hard-wired to your router (something often missed in their documentation). Other than that, Sonos wireless has been perfect for me without any issues.
The house is fully wired so I have no intention of utilizing wireless anyway.
post #295 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM

A few comments. I have iPhones and iPads to control the Sonos. While the iPad interface is very nice the iPhone in my pocket is more practical and used 90% of the time. You may want to consider getting an iTouch if you don't have an iPhone. In regards to the ZP90, it is a great product but you will need to turn on your stereo separately when you want to hear music (or leave it on all the time). In some zones you may want to consider the ZP120. The last feedback is if you have your music on a server working with iTunes already you are set. I have mine on a NAS where the drives spin down. They don't spin up fast enough for iTunes and I often get broken music links (no issue with Sonos). Music cover art isn't ideal. I'm still fighting this one. Anyone have good recommendation for cover art for a mac person?
post #296 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avale View Post
Anyone have good recommendation for cover art for a mac person?
You mean for Sonos? I just took a look back the script is only for PC, apparently (God knows why...). But here's what Sonos sent to me for anyone who's interested:
-----------
Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Sonos support. I see from your registration that you are using a PC for music. Fortunately there is a link within that FAQ for an automated script to embed the artwork for you:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/s...hp?p_faqid=688

Sonos Support
-----------
post #297 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM

OK, I have something strange going on here. I have albums in folders. On some of the albums where I've added cover art I have downloaded that album art jpg and added it to the album folder with the name "folder.jpg". This album art show up on the Sonos Mac app but doesn't show up on my Sonos app running on my iPhone. I have even updated my music index on my iPhone. Is anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions to resolve?
post #298 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Tony

Tony,

I'm pretty familiar with your main setup from reading the Classe thread and think you'll love Sonos.

I've had it for 15 months in what is a pretty good system and it sounds fantastic. As for the ipad app, it's my understanding it makes great use of the extra screen real estate and adds a few enhancements over the ipod app.

itunes is not needed at all for Sonos, but if your NAS or Server can run the small itunes server app (my WD My Book NAS came with it installed) then you'll have access to all your playlist etc...

If you don't want to or can't have itunes running somewhere, then you can still use it to manage all your music as Sonos only needs to know where the music is at and it will index and play it without help from any computer software.

Just wanted to add that all my music was ripped with DBpoweramp and out of roughly 5000 songs ripped, Sonos is not showing album art on only about 9 albums. All the music I've downloaded from itunes/Napster etc... displays without issue as well.

Jgiddyup
post #299 of 1016 Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mark. I assume I don't need to have itunes involved at all unless I'm managing metadata? How are you managing your flac collection in terms of metadata, cover art, etc? Does the metadata information (including cover art) carry over to the Sonos controller on your ipad?

I used dbpoweramp to convert to flac and it got the metadata for me and it does all carry over to the ipad. I believe that Sonos lets you import itunes playlists if you had desire to do that.
post #300 of 1016 Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had a Sonos system for several years and love it. I have my iTunes library stored on a NAS in lossless format, but I've always just relied on Sonos to index the music when my PC is not on.

Quote:

itunes is not needed at all for Sonos, but if your NAS or Server can run the small itunes server app (my WD My Book NAS came with it installed) then you'll have access to all your playlist etc...

This is the first I've heard of a separate "itunes server app" that can run directly on a NAS. I've always just used my NAS as a large shared drive -- I haven't attempted to load any server software on it. FWIW, it is a Thecus NAS and is several years old; it's not particularly user friendly and didn't come pre-loaded with any type of media sharing software.

Can anyone point me to the iTunes app that I would run on the NAS? Running something on the NAS seems like a more elegant solution than either leaving my PC on 24/7.

Thanks,
K-Wood
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page