post #361 of 1170 Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Another Zp120 / speaker question:

For our Master Bedroom and master bathroom - I would like to run 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers in these adjacent spaces by using a speaker A/B switch. Anyone see a problem with running both pair simultaneously? Will this speaker loading be a problem for a ZP120?
ZP120 is stable to 4 ohms, so running 2 pairs simultaneously will be just fine (I run them similarly myself).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1170 Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
rishi76/scientest,

Thanks for the input - that's what I was hoping to hear.

CK

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #363 of 1170 Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
New to the forums. Bought a house on Monday and I'll be setting up my home entertainment stuff in the next few weeks. Just ordered a P5, P3, ZP90, and a bridge. Plan is to connect the ZP90 to a receiver in an entertainment center in the basement and run the P5 and P3 in the living room and bedroom. Might spring for a few more P's if I feel like more sound is needed.

Next step is to pick receiver and speakers for the basement.

This is going to be fun.
post #364 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm looking for a system which will allow me to play my music, podcasts and internet radio from my ipod touch. It also needs to connect to at least one wireless speaker which I would like to put in another room.

Some people have suggested Sonos Play 5, Zeppelin Air, Squeezebox...and from doing my own research I think Sony has something and even Philips.

So far Sonos seems to be what I'm looking for. I have a few questions...is the Sonos dependent on a PC...I don't want that since I don't have my pc on all the time. I simply want the system to connect to my ipod touch and control it from there. Besides purchasing two Play 5s or 3s (not sure which one yet) do I need to purchase anything else...such as a dock etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #365 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercity22 View Post

I'm looking for a system which will allow me to play my music, podcasts and internet radio from my ipod touch. It also needs to connect to at least one wireless speaker which I would like to put in another room.

Some people have suggested Sonos Play 5, Zeppelin Air, Squeezebox...and from doing my own research I think Sony has something and even Philips.

So far Sonos seems to be what I'm looking for. I have a few questions...is the Sonos dependent on a PC...I don't want that since I don't have my pc on all the time. I simply want the system to connect to my ipod touch and control it from there. Besides purchasing two Play 5s or 3s (not sure which one yet) do I need to purchase anything else...such as a dock etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Silver,

If you want to use the iPod as the music source, you will need to plug it into the line in on a P5 or get the Sonos iPod dock. The problem with both methods is you would need another iPod/Sonos controller or walk over to where it's connected to Sonos to control it.

An alternative would be using an Airport Express and Airplay, but my suggestion would be to get a Networked Attached Storage (NAS) and store your music there. No PC required and it frees up your iPod to control the Sonos system and be used elsewhere. A cheap NAS can be had for around $100 and will give you 1 to 2TB of storage for music over the max 64GB of an iPod.

Sonos is the best AV purchase I've ever made with the possible exception of my Pioneer Plasma. Oh and I recommend the P5 over the P3 but that's just my opinion.

Jgiddyup
post #366 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Ok at first I thought that I would be able to use my ipod and listen to music on the Sonos via bluetooth/wifi etc. Buying a dock and a Sonos controller is not an issue for me. I prefer using the ipod as my main source on the Sonos because it will allow me to listen to internet radio and my podcasts where a NAS won't....(I'm assuming here). I'm reading up on airport express and airplay...how would that work....I guess I wouldn't need a dock...and I would connect the express to the Sonos and no clue what the airplay does..haha..pls explain.

Thanks for your help.

Note: I just saw some videos on youtube and saw the sonos zonebridge...is that like the airport express and would I still need to buy a dock if I get that?
post #367 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok at first I thought that I would be able to use my ipod and listen to music on the Sonos via bluetooth/wifi etc. Buying a dock and a Sonos controller is not an issue for me. I prefer using the ipod as my main source on the Sonos because it will allow me to listen to internet radio and my podcasts where a NAS won't....(I'm assuming here). I'm reading up on airport express and airplay...how would that work....I guess I wouldn't need a dock...and I would connect the express to the Sonos and no clue what the airplay does..haha..pls explain.

Thanks for your help.

Sonos can access Internet radio directly, it does not need your iPod. It can also access thousands of podcasts (called Shows on Sonos) directly from the Internet, no iPod needed. Also, with automatic library synching, you can make your iTunes library sync with your iPod purchases, so all music and downloaded podcasts are both on your iPod and in your library. But in truth, if you are not looking for multiple rooms of music, the Zeppelin with AirPlay is your cheapest solution. If you plan to expand to other rooms/zones, the Sonos has many advantages over AirPlay. It allows multiple sources to different players, it also allows you to link multiple zones together, in perfect sync. AirPlay cannot do either. It also sets up its own wireless network, so it won't get interference from heavy wireless use on your home wireless. Apple uses your home wireless and can suffer from heavy bandwidth use.
post #368 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM

I live in a small apartment so really I'm looking for two wireless speakers. One speaker would be for the bedroom/office area (zone a) and the other is for the living room/kitchen area (zone b). For example if my ipod is connected in zone a I'd like to be able to listen to the same thing in zone b.

Right now I connect my Ipod to a small radio in zone a with an audio jack and if I go into zone b I won't hear anything unless I blast the radio really loud (and even then it's not clear). Also, I do not want the device to be pc dependent since I don't have my laptop on all the time.

Hope this makes sense....and maybe the Sonos isn't want I should get but I'm new to this and I'm looking for something simple. What do you think?

Note: When at home I listen to internet radio quite often...more than the playlist on my ipod.
post #369 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I live in a small apartment so really I'm looking for two wireless speakers. One speaker would be for the bedroom/office area (zone a) and the other is for the living room/kitchen area (zone b). For example if my ipod is connected in zone a I'd like to be able to listen to the same thing in zone b.

Right now I connect my Ipod to a small radio in zone a with an audio jack and if I go into zone b I won't hear anything unless I blast the radio really loud (and even then it's not clear). Also, I do not want the device to be pc dependent since I don't have my laptop on all the time.

Hope this makes sense....and maybe the Sonos isn't want I should get but I'm new to this and I'm looking for something simple. What do you think?

Note: When at home I listen to internet radio quite often...more than the playlist on my ipod.

If you are looking for multiple rooms, and you are moving from room to room, Sonos is perfect. Look into the WD100 dock in order to play from your iPod, but I seriously think once you use the Sonos interface, the iPod will be used less and less as a music source and more as a controller. If you are looking for PC independence, an inexpensive (~$100) NAS drive is a lot more convenient than streaming from the iPod.
post #370 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
One other suggestion: start with how and where you want to listen to music, NOT what device you want it to come from. Your insistence on using your ipod instead of simply listening to music is understandable but backwards. It's like if someone was used to listening to music on their cassette player and posed all questions about using an ipod from the perspective of how can he play his cassettes using an ipod.

Focus on listening and enjoying the music, and be open to understanding a new, non-ipod centric paradigm.

"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill -- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill -- you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #371 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Yes I do move from room to room often and I'm glad to hear that Sonos has internet radio. I just read up on this. Things are clearer now thanks to all the help here. I'm reading up on NAS (new to me)..on the sonos forum and I think I understand how it works and how it's different from a hard drive. Interesting info. I learned tonight. Thx.
post #372 of 1170 Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM

The reason I was insistent on using my lpod is because my laptop isn't with me at all times and that is the pc I use to sync my ipod with. My desktop is connected to my router and I don't use it much except for d/l. Also the location of my desktop and where I'd like to keep one of the Sonos is far so I'd like to avoid as many wires as possible. Not sure if the NAS has to be physically connected to the sonos and pc but if it does then that won't work for me either. I need to read up on that.
post #373 of 1170 Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercity22
The reason I was insistent on using my lpod is because my laptop isn't with me at all times and that is the pc I use to sync my ipod with. My desktop is connected to my router and I don't use it much except for d/l. Also the location of my desktop and where I'd like to keep one of the Sonos is far so I'd like to avoid as many wires as possible. Not sure if the NAS has to be physically connected to the sonos and pc but if it does then that won't work for me either. I need to read up on that.
An NAS only has to be connected to your network. The easiest thing to do is connect it at the router.
post #374 of 1170 Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Still a bit confused as whether to include Sonos in my audio/video redo. Recently visited some friends with the system and was really impressed.

I have a two bedroom apartment and would probably enjoy have music in the living room/dining room area (zone a) and the second bedroom (zone b). A third zone for the master bedroom would be nice but not a requirement.

We mostly listen Sirius/XM through an existing star mate (Lifetime Membership) but have recently discovered the world of Pandora and other streaming music systems. The only additional media/music source at this point would be our iTunes library.

The primary location for the system/music would be the living room via a Polk or Sony Sound bar (Still to be determined.)

Does Sonos sound as though the best choice for us?

Any additional information/background I can provide to assist in getting feedback?
post #375 of 1170 Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookq View Post

Still a bit confused as whether to include Sonos in my audio/video redo. Recently visited some friends with the system and was really impressed.

I have a two bedroom apartment and would probably enjoy have music in the living room/dining room area (zone a) and the second bedroom (zone b). A third zone for the master bedroom would be nice but not a requirement.

We mostly listen Sirius/XM through an existing star mate (Lifetime Membership) but have recently discovered the world of Pandora and other streaming music systems. The only additional media/music source at this point would be our iTunes library.

The primary location for the system/music would be the living room via a Polk or Sony Sound bar (Still to be determined.)

Does Sonos sound as though the best choice for us?

Any additional information/background I can provide to assist in getting feedback?

I, too have Sirius and a lifetime. Sonos uses the internet - not satellite for Sirius and as such you get much better sound quality (CD quality). They charge you a small fee...I think it is $2/mo for this account but not if you only have a lifetime. I have a car XM radio and I added it to that account. If you only have a lifetime account....I think the internet account will be full price.

The other services - Pandora and Rhapsody are also CD quality and sound great.

What I really like about Sonos is the user friendly interface - either on my computers, iPad, iPhone, etc or the Sonos controller.

I also have the apple airport interface and I can stream music directly from my iPod to any room or all rooms.

I have both an NAS system and a computer which I just let it on all the time for my home library.

I could not be happier with the system. I have at least one of each component they sell.
post #376 of 1170 Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM

I wanted to know if the analog and digital outputs of the ZP 90 are active at the same time? I'd like to have a common home theater/poolside zone and would like to be able to listen out at the pool without firing up my theater AVR. I have a separate 2 channel amp that will power the outdoor speakers.

I searched but couldn't find anything confirming this. Thanks in advance!
post #377 of 1170 Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewill View Post

I wanted to know if the analog and digital outputs of the ZP 90 are active at the same time? I'd like to have a common home theater/poolside zone and would like to be able to listen out at the pool without firing up my theater AVR. I have a separate 2 channel amp that will power the outdoor speakers.

The outputs are the same as your other A/V equipment (think DVD player)- the digital and analog are output at the same time. But you still need a preamp and an amp. .....I have my ZP90 feeding a soundbar. It doesn't matter what your main A/V equipment is doing (one exception....if you are outputting your source music FROM your main equipment).

I have my outdoor speakers driven by a ZP120 You may consider that if you don't have a preamp
post #378 of 1170 Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 AM

knoxtn - Thanks for the reply. I guess I needed to clarify more my set-up configuration and what I'm looking to do.

I'd like to be able to connect the digital rca or optical output from the ZP90 to feed my receiver in my basement home theater while also simultaneously using the analog rca outputs to feed a separate Emotiva UPA-2 that powers several pairs of speakers at my pool. This would make it easy for my wife or kids to only have to hit one button on the UPA-2 amp to listen to music at the pool and not have to deal with firing up the home theater receiver and deal with zone 2/3 issues in controlling the AVR.

Many source components (Blu-ray, cable box, media streamers, etc.) will only send their output signal through one set of outputs, analog or digital, depending on which is being used and make all other outputs inactive. This would prevent me from being able to listen to the Sonos in the basement and pool at the same time. I need to confirm that the ZP90 outputs are all active, all the time.

Thanks.
post #379 of 1170 Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The ZP90 outputs to both analog and digital at the same time.
post #380 of 1170 Old 09-20-2011, 01:31 AM

Liked: 11
Hi guys just received my p5, zp90, and the bridge. I have one question would I notice any difference in connecting my zp90 to my pioneer elite sc-05 with the supplied rca cables, a decent quality toslink, or an upgraded rca. I'm guessing not because at the moment I am mostly streaming mp3's. Don't even know how to convert my discs to flac or if it is worth it.
post #381 of 1170 Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Simple enough to try it. The real questions are which DAC is better and are your mp3s ripped at a high enough bit rate?
post #382 of 1170 Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

Hi guys just received my p5, zp90, and the bridge. I have one question would I notice any difference in connecting my zp90 to my pioneer elite sc-05 with the supplied rca cables, a decent quality toslink, or an upgraded rca. I'm guessing not because at the moment I am mostly streaming mp3's. Don't even know how to convert my discs to flac or if it is worth it.

Even with FLAC I don't think you're really going to hear a difference... Google for how to use EAC ( there are good guides on Hydrogenaudio.org) if you want to go to FLAC. The difference between FLAC and most MP3 encodings is something you can likely hear. But don't convert existing MP3's to FLAC, re-rip or you won't be getting any benefit.
post #383 of 1170 Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the responses guys I will look into flac after I finish setting up all my music on the sonos and programming my harmony etc..
post #384 of 1170 Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
EAC is an excellent ripping program, but think about DB power amp as well. I have both and DB power amp is significantly easier to use for me.

Jgiddyup
post #385 of 1170 Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Thanks again I think I have heard of db poweramp before.
post #386 of 1170 Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Last month I was a complete newbie to ripping CDs.
I went with dbpoweramp and am glad I did, it really is easy

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #387 of 1170 Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 PM

For anyone reading this that is on the fence about getting into the Sonos system, I have some advice: Just buy it!

When I first read about the system a few years ago, I thought it seemed like an interesting way to distribute music in the house. The price was the only thing keeping me from taking the plunge. Then they came out with the iOS controller system that allowed anyone with an iPhone, Ipad, or iPod Touch to operate the system instead of the expensive proprietary Sonos remote control device. We have an iPod and and iPad in our household, but I was still reluctant to part with the cash for the players.

A few weeks ago, I found a local dealer that demo'd the system for me in person and showed me how easy it was to control the system from a PC and iPod and I was hooked. I promptly snapped up a ZP90 and an S5 player and took them home.

I have a networked hard drive (NAS) in my basement where we keep all our family pictures, movies, and of course music. I hooked the ZP90 into my family room AV receiver, routed the ethernet cable that runs to my PVR through the ZP90's ports (I used the supplied ethernet cable to daisy chain the signal back to the PVR - which means I did not need to run another ethernet cable just for the Sonos system), installed the Sonos software on my PC and iOS devices, and within 20 minutes, I was listening to music in two different areas of the house.

The ZP90 sounds great through our AV system in the family room, and I am also very impressed with the sound of the S5. We also have one of those Bose Sounddocks that we used to plug our ipod into for portable sound, and the S5 blows the Bose away in terms of sound quality. Much more bass (but not boomy), and much better mid range that really fills whatever room we take the S5 to. I plan to get some outdoor speakers for our patio and run them off of the family room AVR's "zone 2" outputs, but in the meantime, the S5 sounds great outdoors too.

Our family has been listening to much more music lately, and we have even discovered a couple of really cool radio stations using the Sonos software. My only regret is that I did not get this system years ago.

PS - anyone want to buy a used Bose Sounddock?
post #388 of 1170 Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugs View Post

For anyone reading this that is on the fence about getting into the Sonos system, I have some advice: Just buy it!

When I first read about the system a few years ago, I thought it seemed like an interesting way to distribute music in the house. The price was the only thing keeping me from taking the plunge. Then they came out with the iOS controller system that allowed anyone with an iPhone, Ipad, or iPod Touch to operate the system instead of the expensive proprietary Sonos remote control device. We have an iPod and and iPad in our household, but I was still reluctant to part with the cash for the players.

A few weeks ago, I found a local dealer that demo'd the system for me in person and showed me how easy it was to control the system from a PC and iPod and I was hooked. I promptly snapped up a ZP90 and an S5 player and took them home.

I have a networked hard drive (NAS) in my basement where we keep all our family pictures, movies, and of course music. I hooked the ZP90 into my family room AV receiver, routed the ethernet cable that runs to my PVR through the ZP90's ports (I used the supplied ethernet cable to daisy chain the signal back to the PVR - which means I did not need to run another ethernet cable just for the Sonos system), installed the Sonos software on my PC and iOS devices, and within 20 minutes, I was listening to music in two different areas of the house.

The ZP90 sounds great through our AV system in the family room, and I am also very impressed with the sound of the S5. We also have one of those Bose Sounddocks that we used to plug our ipod into for portable sound, and the S5 blows the Bose away in terms of sound quality. Much more bass (but not boomy), and much better mid range that really fills whatever room we take the S5 to. I plan to get some outdoor speakers for our patio and run them off of the family room AVR's "zone 2" outputs, but in the meantime, the S5 sounds great outdoors too.

Our family has been listening to much more music lately, and we have even discovered a couple of really cool radio stations using the Sonos software. My only regret is that I did not get this system years ago.

PS - anyone want to buy a used Bose Sounddock?

Love the post that is the same exact thing I thought of the s5 or play5 as it is referred to now. That it blows away the bose sound docks thank god I never took that plunge.
post #389 of 1170 Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM

For Sonos to work for Internet streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, etc.) do I always need to keep a computer powered on...or will I be able to use my WHS (which is always on).

Thanks. I am leaning to Sonos over Squeezebox as it seems the interface is easier to use.
post #390 of 1170 Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedn View Post

For Sonos to work for Internet streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, etc.) do I always need to keep a computer powered on...or will I be able to use my WHS (which is always on).

Thanks. I am leaning to Sonos over Squeezebox as it seems the interface is easier to use.

You don't need anything on for Internet services, and if you have an NAS, you do not need a computer on (or need a computer at all). The Sonos software for your computer is a controller only, it is completely optional. Unlike Squeeze, Sonos requires no server to run.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page