post #451 of 1016 Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercity22 View Post

Like I mentioned in my last post I love what Sonos could do....however I find the Play 5 a bit too bassy. Is there anything I could do?

Thanks.

same thing you do with any speaker (regardless of built in streamer or not), move it away from the wall(s), or add bass traps...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1016 Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked: 10
It's away from the wall...and putting a bass trap on the walls is a bit extreme for just one Play 5....the issue is that I don't want it to disturb the neighbors too much.(thin walls in my place)..can I put something under the unit so it absorbs some of the bass?
post #453 of 1016 Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercity22 View Post

It's away from the wall...and putting a bass trap on the walls is a bit extreme for just one Play 5....the issue is that I don't want it to disturb the neighbors too much.(thin walls in my place)..can I put something under the unit so it absorbs some of the bass?

Grab one of your controllers, go into the room settings menu and adjust the bass and treble using equalizer settings.

Jgiddyup
post #454 of 1016 Old 12-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Just came from a HHGreg and a sales person told me that the Bose factory and the Sonos factory were right next door from each other and the engineers from Bose were defecting to Sonos. He also said that Bose and Sonos were sharing alot of the same sound technology. Is this true?
post #455 of 1016 Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I hope not!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #456 of 1016 Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther63 View Post

Just came from a HHGreg and a sales person told me that the Bose factory and the Sonos factory were right next door from each other and the engineers from Bose were defecting to Sonos. He also said that Bose and Sonos were sharing alot of the same sound technology. Is this true?

Stop right there. Nothing good can come from listening to a sales person.
post #457 of 1016 Old 12-29-2011, 04:53 PM

So I cannot for the life of me figure out something and I'm hoping you can help. We got a connect 90, and two Play 5s. The connect 90 is hooked into the router. The Play 5s are in bedrooms.

How/why does airplay come into the mix? I can see all the music in our whole house already since we have all the computers and storage devices shared via windows homegroup. But my husband seems to think if we install an airport express it will allow him to play through itunes easier. Is this the case?

Also, in our theater room, we have a Denon 2112ci receiver, which has airplay. If we hook an airport express unit into the Sonos, could this allow us to then also play the speakers in the theater room through the Sonos app or would we be using the airplay app? I know I could hook a connect into the theater room, but that's another $$ I don't want to do if the airplay would allow me to see the room and choose to play in there through the sonos app.

Please explain this to me. We have some best buy reward points that would pay for an airport express and I'm likely to try it out, but if someone could set me straight before then, that would be great.

Oh, and by the way, we have a DLink powerline adapter already hooked into the router and the Denon receiver. This allows us to make use of the features that the Denon offers that are wireless. Is this how I'm getting airplay or does that work automatically?
post #458 of 1016 Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb013 View Post

How/why does airplay come into the mix? I can see all the music in our whole house already since we have all the computers and storage devices shared via windows homegroup. But my husband seems to think if we install an airport express it will allow him to play through itunes easier. Is this the case?

Also, in our theater room, we have a Denon 2112ci receiver,
Please explain this to me. We have some best buy reward points that would pay for an airport express and I'm likely to try it out, but if someone could set me straight before then, that would be great.

Oh, and by the way, we have a DLink powerline adapter already hooked into the router and the Denon receiver. This allows us to make use of the features that the Denon offers that are wireless. Is this how I'm getting airplay or does that work automatically?

I have an Airport Express and hooked it up as a test to one of my Play 5's --- I couldn't figure out what was gained since my iTunes library was already on the Sonos music library. But it does indeed allow you to stream to Sonos. I travel a lot and the express is far more valuable in my hotel room - setting up a local hotspot....so I don't have it installed with Sonos anymore.

Not sure about the Denon - but if you get no answer here--send an email to Sonos tech support and they'll get back to you if they can answer it.

You can always put a Connect 90 on the Denon. I also said I would not get anymore Connects but after I caught the Sonos disease - I got about 4 more - sorry about that.
post #459 of 1016 Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb013 View Post

So I cannot for the life of me figure out something and I'm hoping you can help. We got a connect 90, and two Play 5s. The connect 90 is hooked into the router. The Play 5s are in bedrooms.

Also, in our theater room, we have a Denon 2112ci receiver, which has airplay. If we hook an airport express unit into the Sonos, could this allow us to then also play the speakers in the theater room through the Sonos app or would we be using the airplay app? I know I could hook a connect into the theater room, but that's another $$ I don't want to do if the airplay would allow me to see the room and choose to play in there through the sonos app.

You could use the AE, but there's no need to. Just get a Sonos Zone Bridge and hook that to the router. Then connect the Connect90 to your Denon.

You'll then have access to your iTunes library without any added complexity

Jgiddyup
post #460 of 1016 Old 12-31-2011, 07:06 AM

Well I think I'd have to get another connect 90. Where the router is I already have a different Denon that pushes the sound out so most of the house can hear it. I wouldn't want a bridge there because then those speakers wouldn't be in the sonos mix. Maybe I'll have to figure out where to move the router.
post #461 of 1016 Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM

Why don't you hook up your computer running iTunes to the 90? You can then send from iTunes to any Sonos box.

The airplay on the denon is independent of sonos. You send music from iTunes or an idevice directly to the denon via airplay.

veni, vidi, vici
You can't understand something until you can measure it with numbers.
post #462 of 1016 Old 01-01-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Considering a switch; is it possible Sonos still doesn't support hi-res?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #463 of 1016 Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Considering a switch; is it possible Sonos still doesn't support hi-res?

CD

No hi res and I don't think we'll ever see it on current hardware, but who knows!

Jgiddyup
post #464 of 1016 Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

No hi res and I don't think we'll ever see it on current hardware, but who knows!

Man...not trying to start a fight, but I just don't get that. It's not exactly new. I know most of the public, and probably even half of the "audiophiles" don't even care; but for a streaming device, promoting digital music...it's a big feature.

The current chipset just won't support it...and Sonos is going to have to do a major overhaul to implement it? I guess they're trying to decide if it's even worth it, but I guess that very thing will keep me with SB.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #465 of 1016 Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sonos recently hit the 1 Million installed zones milestone - if HD audio really was a mainstream issue you would be hearing about it by now!

The established 'Hi-Fi' brands will cater for those that require HD audio - I can't see it in the Sonos roadmap in the near future!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #466 of 1016 Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Man...not trying to start a fight, but I just don't get that. It's not exactly new. I know most of the public, and probably even half of the "audiophiles" don't even care; but for a streaming device, promoting digital music...it's a big feature.

The current chipset just won't support it...and Sonos is going to have to do a major overhaul to implement it? I guess they're trying to decide if it's even worth it, but I guess that very thing will keep me with SB.

CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Sonos recently hit the 1 Million installed zones milestone - if HD audio really was a mainstream issue you would be hearing about it by now!

The established 'Hi-Fi' brands will cater for those that require HD audio - I can't see it in the Sonos roadmap in the near future!

Joe

I'm with you Joe as I could be called a pseudo audiophile if that definition includes someone who cares deeply about the quality of the sound in my main system at least.

Hires doesn't interest me as I've found the redbook versions of the hires recordings I've listened to are just as good. But I certainly understand why others might feel differently,

Jgiddyup
post #467 of 1016 Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 AM

Liked: 12
Well, I find myself in a strange development. After years of enjoying Sonos, I'm moving to a new home in a rural area with no internet. The only means is satellite, which has pricing based on use.

Anybody have experience with Sonos on Hughes Internet ? I presume audio isn't anywhere near HD video, but it is on longer.

I suppose, we'll have to limit our listening.
post #468 of 1016 Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 11
Wow that is a real RURAL area. I have no clue on the bandwidth it uses.
post #469 of 1016 Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn View Post

Well, I find myself in a strange development. After years of enjoying Sonos, I'm moving to a new home in a rural area with no internet. The only means is satellite, which has pricing based on use.

Anybody have experience with Sonos on Hughes Internet ? I presume audio isn't anywhere near HD video, but it is on longer.

I suppose, we'll have to limit our listening.

Funny, I've tried several of the Internet based services but just end up not using them and always doing playback from my personal music library instead. Guess you could view this as an opportunity to start building up a home server based music library? Doesn't need much of a server, low cost NAS will do it if you don't have a PC laying around that you can use.
post #470 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Play:5 versus Play:3

Is the Play:5 worth the extra $100? On the website, Sonos claims Play:5 has "bigger sound." For those who own both, is that true?

Right now, the Sonos would be placed on the kitchen counter or table in the TV room. When the weather improves, it will also be used on a 3 season porch for outside use. I certainly want bigger sound and I have room to accommodate the Play:5 I just want to make certain there is a noticeable difference between the two. Thank you.

post #471 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian View Post

Play:5 versus Play:3

Is the Play:5 worth the extra $100? On the website, Sonos claims Play:5 has "bigger sound." For those who own both, is that true?

Right now, the Sonos would be placed on the kitchen counter or table in the TV room. When the weather improves, it will also be used on a 3 season porch for outside use. I certainly want bigger sound and I have room to accommodate the Play:5 I just want to make certain there is a noticeable difference between the two. Thank you.

Yes, I own two Play:5s and one Play:3. The Play:5s are for bigger spaces, and the sound is noticeably "bigger". If you look at the specs of the 3 and 5 you can see why

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #472 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM

The other thing of course is that the Play 5 has an AUX IN, the Play 3 doesn't...that could be quite important.

I think it's really dumb that they didn't put an AUX IN on the Play 3. What could that have cost? $5?
post #473 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM

The Play5 = 5 speakers. The Play3 = 3.
The sound by Play5 is livingroom + party.
The Play3 is more for study + kitchen.
Hope this helps.
post #474 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

An advantage of the Play 3 over the Play 5...the Play 5 can be hooked up to be a stereo pair...and the 5 cannot.
post #475 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 AM

That Trick from the Play3 comes from the Play5. :-)
post #476 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsalopek View Post

An advantage of the Play 3 over the Play 5...the Play 5 can be hooked up to be a stereo pair...and the 5 cannot.

Play 5 does this not sure about play 3.
post #477 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thank you all for your comments. Just ordered the Play:5 and bridge.

post #478 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsalopek View Post

Oh good grief....I said that wrong. I meant to say:

An advantage of the Play 3 over the Play 5...the Play THREE can be hooked up to be a stereo pair...and the FIVE cannot be hooked up as a stereo pair.
post #479 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Both the play 3 and Play 5 can do the stereo pair...just looked it up on the Sonos website:

http://blog.sonos.com/products/tip-h...e-stereo-pair/
post #480 of 1016 Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just bought my first Sonos unit last month (finally!). I opted for he Play5 over the 3 because everything I read and watched online made me feel like I'd be disappointed with the output from the 3 for the space I wanted it in (living room). Couldn't be happier with the 5. The sound and convenience are great. I've used it just about every day. I do plan on getting a 3 down the road to try out in a smaller space.

Im curious, can anybody speak to a 5 v a pair of 3s in stereo?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page