post #721 of 1016 Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoSteve View Post

Thanks for the reply. Since I have the Structured Wiring panel, where my home internet comes in could I connect a Bridge or a Connect in between the Router and multiswitch so that any receiver in the house or speaker plugged into the Ethernet port could be on the Sonos network? Wouldn't it also make any computer plugged into a rooms Ethernet port also on the Sonos system? Where would the best place be for the Apple Time Capsule to function as my NAS storing all of my music.
Thanks

The Sonos system has its own wireless network. So only one Sonos component needs to be plugged into the wired network. AIUI, it only uses your network to access the NAS and for wired apps to control the units. The only things on SonosNet are the Sonos devices. A computer on ethernet with a Sonos Bridge on it would not be part of SonosNet.

So, you could either put a Bridge into your wiring closet or connect any one Sonos device to your ethernet. I don't think putting a Connect in the closet makes sense unless it has coax/toslink/RCA wires running from it to one of your receivers.

If I were in your sitch, I'd put the Apple Time Capsule in the closet, either on the switch or the router. In my case I run the Sonos app off a computer that doesn't have wireless where I keep my music.

To walk through it step by step.

Take the Time Capsule and plug it into your switch.
Make sure your iTunes can see it and add music etc.

Then, if it were me, I'd take a Connect and add it to the Master Bedroom stereo via RCA/toslink/coax. Plug that into an ethernet jack there. Configure it to see the NAS/TimeCapsule and play a song.

Once I could play a song there, I'd add the Play5 to one of the offices. It doesn't need to be connected to anything other than the power socket. When it powers up, you use the Sonos app to add the new Sonos device to your network. It's kind of like pairing a bluetooth phone. Play a song there. Play a different song in the Master, play the same song in both. All controlled through the Sonos app on your smartphone.

Once you've done that, you'll be able to see what your choices are for the Family and patio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1016 Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/sonos-play-1-fcc/

Sonos Play:1 exposes itself at the FCC

this will go great in my daughters room. perfect replacement for the cd player constantly playing kids songs.
TimGoodwin likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #723 of 1016 Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/sonos-play-1-fcc/

Sonos Play:1 exposes itself at the FCC

this will go great in my daughters room. perfect replacement for the cd player constantly playing kids songs.

Is everyone expecting this to be a smaller "Lite" version of the Play:3?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #724 of 1016 Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy the connect:amp, but I wasn't sure if Sonos has a yearly release cycle for it's products. I found some reviews of the connect:amp from September of last year and thought maybe a new version is released each fall or something? I don't mind waiting a month or 2 if that'll get me the newest version. Thanks,
post #725 of 1016 Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sonos does not release new versions of their products very often. I would be surprised if they update the connect amp in the next year. The hardware is solid, and they have great support for their software. I wouldn't think twice about purchasing today.
post #726 of 1016 Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 13
I was thinking about getting the P5 but had a few questions.
How is this better than an airplay speaker which I can pick up for $150? Is it just a question of expandability? Can the airplay system be expanded?
Does the controller, e.g. ipad, have to be on once I've "told" sonos what to play? In other words is the content streamed from my phone? What if my wife selects something and then leaves with her phone? Do I have to recontrol (I think just created a new word!)
I have an old internet bridge sitting around. Can I just use that rather than have to buy the sonos bridge?

Any help would be appreciated.
post #727 of 1016 Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak_phy View Post

I was thinking about getting the P5 but had a few questions.
How is this better than an airplay speaker which I can pick up for $150? Is it just a question of expandability? Can the airplay system be expanded?
Does the controller, e.g. ipad, have to be on once I've "told" sonos what to play? In other words is the content streamed from my phone? What if my wife selects something and then leaves with her phone? Do I have to recontrol (I think just created a new word!)
I have an old internet bridge sitting around. Can I just use that rather than have to buy the sonos connect?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about Airplay but I have a Sonos system.

If you're thinking about getting a speaker for just a single location then I don't think a Sonos product makes sense. Where the Sonos shines is in sharing a library of music in multiple locations; like the den, bedroom and media room. In this latter situation the Sonos devices all access the same music library but each can play something different.

If you're streaming music from your phone then the music is on your phone. If the phone leaves then so does the music. On the other hand, if you're streaming from a music library on the computer or network drive then it'll keep playing. If you had a Sonos with controllers on your wife's phone and your phone Sonos makes sure that both controllers always see what is playing on each device. So if your wife starts playing something then leaves, you'll see on your controller what she was playing but you'd be able to play whatever you want.

The Sonos Bridge isn't just a regular internet bridge so you won't be able to reuse yours. What it does is create a separate wireless network just for Sonos devices. This keeps the quality of the streaming very very high.

You should check out some of the animations on the Sonos site. They show some of the capabilities.
Janibrewski and bak_phy like this.
post #728 of 1016 Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM

I do like that the streaming isn't from content on the phone in the case of sonos.

As for the bridge I thought I read that as long as one of your sonos devices was hardwired into the network it would then work as a bridge to other devices. if I use my current non-sonos wireless to wired bridge shouldn't that work?
post #729 of 1016 Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do like that the streaming isn't from content on the phone in the case of sonos.

Well, as long as the only copy of the music isn't on the phone
Quote:
As for the bridge I thought I read that as long as one of your sonos devices was hardwired into the network it would then work as a bridge to other devices. if I use my current non-sonos wireless to wired bridge shouldn't that work?

The Sonos uses a special wireless system that only it can use. If you have a normal wired-to-wireless bridge it does not set up that special system.

But, you don't need the bridge (any bridge, really) if you have a wired Sonos device plugged into your network. As long as one Sonos device is plugged into your wired network you are fine.

So, get a Play5 and plug it into the wall and your wired network and you're good. Or get a Sonos Bridge and plug that into the wired network and just plug the Play5 into the wall.

In my situation, I have a Sonos Connect plugged into the network and my stereo and a Play3 plugged into the wall in the bedroom.
bak_phy likes this.
post #730 of 1016 Old 09-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

The Sonos uses a special wireless system that only it can use. If you have a normal wired-to-wireless bridge it does not set up that special system.

But, you don't need the bridge (any bridge, really) if you have a wired Sonos device plugged into your network. As long as one Sonos device is plugged into your wired network you are fine.

So, get a Play5 and plug it into the wall and your wired network and you're good. Or get a Sonos Bridge and plug that into the wired network and just plug the Play5 into the wall.

In my situation, I have a Sonos Connect plugged into the network and my stereo and a Play3 plugged into the wall in the bedroom.

After thinking a bit more I think that I've decided to do exactly what you did. Rather than get the bridge I'll get the connect so that I can control my regular stereo as well. Although I already have 2 ways to play all my music there (apple TV and Panasonic smart TV) they both involve the TV being on. I think that separating the stereo from the TV would be a great improvement.

Thanks for all your help!! I'm now off to the store..
post #731 of 1016 Old 09-14-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi
If I have 6 connect players in a rack hardwired to my network router and now I want to add a connect player in my garage without hardwire (no cat5 cable run the the garage) will I now have to use the sonos wireless bridge and make all players communicate wireless and unplug them from the router? Or keep all 6 hardwired to the router and just make the 1 new connect player wireless.

I was under the impression that keeping them all hardwired makes for better streaming??

JOE
post #732 of 1016 Old 09-14-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Simply plug the Bridge and the New Zone Player to the mains and go through the simple 'add a device' routine - nothing else needs to change.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #733 of 1016 Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I got the connect and P5 and everything works great! Well almost... My kids have hijacked the P5 so now I still have nothing in my kitchen. frown.gif
post #734 of 1016 Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Simply plug the Bridge and the New Zone Player to the mains and go through the simple 'add a device' routine - nothing else needs to change.

Joe
ok thanks joe

JOE
post #735 of 1016 Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcjo View Post

Hi
If I have 6 connect players in a rack hardwired to my network router and now I want to add a connect player in my garage without hardwire (no cat5 cable run the the garage) will I now have to use the sonos wireless bridge and make all players communicate wireless and unplug them from the router? Or keep all 6 hardwired to the router and just make the 1 new connect player wireless.

I was under the impression that keeping them all hardwired makes for better streaming??

I don't even think you'll need the bridge assuming there is enough signal coverage in the garage from where the racked components are... if not the bridge could act as a repeater somewhere half way.

Unless sonos changed something in their architecture. For a long time in the beginning they didn't even have a bridge and you had to have one of their connect type devices hardwired whether used as music device or not. I think the bridge stemmed from market response as needing a low cost wired connection point instead of wasting a music device in an undesired location. Regardless all of their devices are "bridges" in the wireless sonos net.

Bottom line if there is enough signal in the garage you should be good to go with just pluggin the connect in to power and go.
post #736 of 1016 Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got the connect and P5 and everything works great! Well almost... My kids have hijacked the P5 so now I still have nothing in my kitchen. frown.gif

Yeah, mine set up a Pandora Disney channel and play that through the sonos.
post #737 of 1016 Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Yeah, mine set up a Pandora Disney channel and play that through the sonos.
Could be worse.. Mine have set up a kidz bop channel!
post #738 of 1016 Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 AM

Liked: 12
I have an interesting Sonos puzzle.

I got the idea of adding my USB DAC I use it on my headphones connected to my iPad for excellent digital audio) to my PC USB port and playing Spotify digitally to the DAC and then using LINE IN on a Play 5 for audio. It worked just fine and then I tried playing through two Sonos Play 5's and then I got static and dead spots. I fddled with the line in settings (from 1 to 10 on level and it made zero difference. But coming back to just one Play 5 and it was OK again.

If I go straight from the PC sound out line to the Play 5 this doesn't happen. Seems the DAC is doing something when more than one Sonos.

Anybody have a guess?
post #739 of 1016 Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The way I believe it works, is that for when the Play 5 is set to just play what's coming through its line in, it passes the analogue audio directly to its internal amp to play back from. If it's been set to broadcast to other Sonos devices, it has to pass the analogue line in audio on to its ADC section, to convert it to digital audio. The now digital audio can then go on to Sonos digital audio in sync streaming system and be played back by the nominated Sonos devices, including the one whose line in is being used. So there's probably a mismatch with the line in signal level coming from the DAC & what the Play 5's ADC section is expecting, but not enough of a mismatch between the line in from the DAC and the Play 5's own amp.
post #740 of 1016 Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM

but the DAC has converted to analog already. should be an easy line in retrieval
post #741 of 1016 Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Liked: 36
Yes, for the internal amplifier. However, the Sonos system does NOT stream in analogue, but in digital, therefore the need for an ADC (plus coding) for streaming to the other Sonos devices, therefore the possible reason for the behaviour you are seeing. Essentially there could be 2 different inputs via the same line in, one for the internal amplifier, the other for sonos in-sync streaming to multidevices and the streaming one may be is less tolerant than the internal amp one.
post #742 of 1016 Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 PM

The DAC has a volume control and when I lowered it a few notches, the problem went away
post #743 of 1016 Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Wonder what the chances are of getting an audiophile CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP out of Sonos

I just tested the Rialto 400 and it was great. If only we could get a CONNECT:AMP like that. Sonos should OEM the guts.

Review here: http://www.hometoys.com/emagazine/2013/10/audiocontrols-rialto-400/2191
post #744 of 1016 Old 10-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
There is the Wyred4Sound Modified versions

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/539960

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #745 of 1016 Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 11
I am currently using my iPad as the Sonos controller, but want to migrate that function away from the iPad and onto a dedicated and relatively cheap 7" Android tablet. Anybody have any recommendations or a suitable Android tablet? I was thinking of a 4.1 Jellybean minimum with HD screen resolution. Again, this tablet would be strictly for Sonos use. The new Dell Venue 7 at $149.00 looks like a reasonable option, but I would like to get under $100.00, if possible. Thanks.
post #746 of 1016 Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not sure I see the point. Whether I use my iPhone or Kindle Fire the app always has to re-initiate with the system. Not sure you'd see much benefit from being dedicated. That said, I'd go with the fastest tablet you can get within your budget.

Unrelated - gave a quick listen to a Play:1 at the store. Very impressed with the sound output for the size. Think 2 Play:1s might be preferable to a Play:3!
post #747 of 1016 Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post

I am currently using my iPad as the Sonos controller, but want to migrate that function away from the iPad and onto a dedicated and relatively cheap 7" Android tablet. Anybody have any recommendations or a suitable Android tablet? I was thinking of a 4.1 Jellybean minimum with HD screen resolution. Again, this tablet would be strictly for Sonos use. The new Dell Venue 7 at $149.00 looks like a reasonable option, but I would like to get under $100.00, if possible. Thanks.

I use original Kindle FireHD's
post #748 of 1016 Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Any Tablet is going to work very well as a controller. Especially if it's sole purpose is Sonos.

Even a inexpensive OSX or Windows 8 Laptop would kick but.

I am super excited about the Play:1 speaker. Does anyone / has anyone found some matching stands?

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #749 of 1016 Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Holy **** - SONOS where have you been all my life?

As someone who carries an iPad everywhere, and loves music and podcasts... I can't believe I am so late the the Sonos party!

Today I hooked up my first Sonos system - my small master bedroom now has a playbar, sub, and two play-1s as surround channels. It is phenomenal.

Now I'm hooked.

If I understand correctly, all I need is the Sonos Connect to hook my Living Room/HT setup into the Sonos world? Not quite as simple, as I'll still have to pick up the remote to turn things on, but still. I can't believe nobody told me about this earlier.

When you guys started, did you immediately want a Sonos (or two) in every room of your house?
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #750 of 1016 Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post

Holy **** - SONOS where have you been all my life?

As someone who carries an iPad everywhere, and loves music and podcasts... I can't believe I am so late the the Sonos party!

Today I hooked up my first Sonos system - my small master bedroom now has a playbar, sub, and two play-1s as surround channels. It is phenomenal.

Now I'm hooked.

If I understand correctly, all I need is the Sonos Connect to hook my Living Room/HT setup into the Sonos world? Not quite as simple, as I'll still have to pick up the remote to turn things on, but still. I can't believe nobody told me about this earlier.

When you guys started, did you immediately want a Sonos (or two) in every room of your house?
How do you currently stream music in your living room from your iPad?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page