Official SONOS owners thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1016 Old 06-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a Panasonic TC-P65S60, Directv Geni, and Xbox One.

As I understand it the Xbox one out puts DD 5.1 (I'm not a pro at this so I may be wrong). So is there a way that I can hook my Directv box to my Xbox and then into my TV and have true DD 5.1 surround with everything (TV, Xbox Games, and Blu Ray on Xbox)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1016 Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Anyone using "qobuz"? I searched this thread and found not a single mention. But since it's the only major lossless streaming format, and Sonos supports it, I was hoping to solicit some insights. Worth c $30 a month?

post #993 of 1016 Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Anyone using "qobuz"? I searched this thread and found not a single mention. But since it's the only major lossless streaming format, and Sonos supports it, I was hoping to solicit some insights. Worth c $30 a month?
I've heard of it, but haven't heard any feedback. I was curious myself, but didn't realize it was $30 a month!
post #994 of 1016 Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I've heard of it, but haven't heard any feedback. I was curious myself, but didn't realize it was $30 a month!
That's the price for lossless. Lossy is ten euros so about $14.
post #995 of 1016 Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM

Liked: 0
So I found some guy who seems to have hacked his play 1 to run off a battery pack. I would love to be able to do this so that I could take out a speaker with me to BBQ in the backyard without having to run an extension cord. The video is on youtube if you search: youtube sonos battery- it is the top result. Link is
Anyone have any info on how this guy made this work. His video does not include instruction but is just a proof of concept type thing.
post #996 of 1016 Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I needs some advice, please.

Building a house with in-ceiling speakers in several rooms and patio. How would I be able to use Sonos to play music throughout the home? What if my wife wants to listen to something in the kitchen, while I wanted to listen to something else on the patio? Would that require two difference receivers to be hooked up to Sonos? I'll have speakers on both floors of the home...how can I distribute different music to them? Or with Sonos would it have to be the same song through all the speakers?

Sorry for the ignorance, but I just needs some guidance here.

Thanks in advance!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #997 of 1016 Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
While Sonos is know for their Stand Alone Speakers that can play their own content or be grouped together you can also look at the Sono's Connect Product which come in two flavors one amplified and the other without amplification.

If you would use a "Connect Amp" for each of the rooms it would give you a lot of flexibility but at a cost as each Connect Amp is $499.

This solution would allow you to control each room separately so they could be playing something different in every single room (Zone) or Group any one of them together or all of them together to play the same content. Of course this would NOT include speakers themselves. This is really the only way I can see going with the most flexibility. If you went with the Non-Amplified versions you would have to add in an external Amp and have to handle switching separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
I needs some advice, please.

Building a house with in-ceiling speakers in several rooms and patio. How would I be able to use Sonos to play music throughout the home? What if my wife wants to listen to something in the kitchen, while I wanted to listen to something else on the patio? Would that require two difference receivers to be hooked up to Sonos? I'll have speakers on both floors of the home...how can I distribute different music to them? Or with Sonos would it have to be the same song through all the speakers?

Sorry for the ignorance, but I just needs some guidance here.

Thanks in advance!
post #998 of 1016 Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
For every set of speakers that you want to be able to play an independent stream of music you need a separate Sonos unit. That could be a bunch of non-amped Connects that are run into a multi-zone distribution amplifier -- maybe all sitting in a single equipment closet. Or, it could be a separate Connect Amps with built in amps, one for each pair of speakers -- maybe with each Connect in each room, which might give you more robust connections to things like an iPhone used to control it. Using multiple Connects with a distribution amp might be cheaper and more flexible but it would also be more complex to operate...
post #999 of 1016 Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Boycott over lack of streaming (boycottowl)

For anyone who is interested, there is a Sonos Boycott on boycottowl. It calls on all current and potential Sonos users to refrain from buying any new Sonos equipment until they add streaming capability to the controller software:

http://www.boycottowl.com/Sonos/804
post #1000 of 1016 Old 07-18-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by avuser2014 View Post
For anyone who is interested, there is a Sonos Boycott on boycottowl. It calls on all current and potential Sonos users to refrain from buying any new Sonos equipment until they add streaming capability to the controller software:

I'll admit I'm confused. Not clear from the link what the issue is, since I stream music. Please clarify.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #1001 of 1016 Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 PM

Streaming actual device audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
I'll admit I'm confused. Not clear from the link what the issue is, since I stream music. Please clarify.
Indeed, music streaming from both local and cloud resources is pretty easy to set up, in my opinion. However, this does not allow users to wirelessly stream the audio that is actually playing on their device.

This is the issue that many people on the Sonos site and elsewhere have with the system.
post #1002 of 1016 Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
'This is the issue that many people ' - really!!!

1 boycott and 24 'views' - that'll sort Sonos out then

Did I miss the page where Sonos offered this feature/function???

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #1003 of 1016 Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Boycott Sonos? How could I live without Sonos...please, dont be so hard on them...

Stef
post #1004 of 1016 Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avuser2014 View Post

B as in B, S as in S.

Someone wants a boyott until Sonos adds streaming capability?!?!

Streaming is ALL I do on Sonos. From multiple sources. For years.

A boycott? Really?!

This is absurd.
post #1005 of 1016 Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I think the concept is desire to stream available music to something like your ipad or phone that uses the controller software without need of an actual sonos box of some sort.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #1006 of 1016 Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I think the concept is desire to stream available music to something like your ipad or phone that uses the controller software without need of an actual sonos box of some sort.
That could be, although I wonder if that is really the beef, since the boycott confusingly mainly mentions something about needing a "wired connection" to do what he wants. Still not clear exactly what that is. I can't even understand exactly what this person is alleging the problem to be, and I have read his "boycott' page several times.

If you are correct that his real beef is simply being able to stream without any Sonos device, that seems pretty absurd as well: does he demand that Sonos rejigger their proprietary free contoller software so anyone can use their proprietary multi zone audio system without buying ANY hardware from them? Is that what he wants? Sounds a lot like what one would hear from the proverbial teenager living in mom & dad's basement and resenting the lack of support they are providing.

How exactly would Sonos - or any innovative technology company - survive, much less afford to continue to create and innovate if they were to give away the fruits of their labor for free?

Perhaps I'm confused and missing something, but to date the originator of the 'boycott' has not made any rational case that I can discern. It would appear that I am not alone in that, as this boycott page shows a total of one boycotter - presumably only the originator himself. That pretty much says it all.
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #1007 of 1016 Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Your guess could be quite spot on. While I would love to see some type of "licensing" where you could in fact basically "unlock" the app for your phone via a purchase of a sonos system component of any type, to allow access to stream the music wirelessly over the device, that would still yield somewhat negative results for sonos IMO. I would go from being on the verge of buying another connect for my garage setup to just pluggin my phone in via headphone jack and using that as the streaming device so yes, it does not make sense from a sales standpoint. Perhaps they could offer an update to the software whereas you buy a lifetime "any device" unlock code into the app and it would allow you to do such a thing. You could even make that charge something like the same price as a play 1 or connect and yield some additional sales. I know I don't use my garage setup enough to really validate another $350 box, but if for $200 I could just use my phone, I would certainly jump on it

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1008 of 1016 Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm probably just dense or misunderstanding you, beastaudio, but wouldn't a $200 Play 1 do what you want in the garage at the price point you can accept, and you would control it from your phone as any Sonos zone?
post #1009 of 1016 Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
I'm probably just dense or misunderstanding you, beastaudio, but wouldn't a $200 Play 1 do what you want in the garage at the price point you can accept, and you would control it from your phone as any Sonos zone?
I mean it would do that, but I already have a pretty nice setup in the garage that I would want to use as the "speakers" instead, where simply walking outside and plugging my phone in would be pretty nice for the DIY horns that are out there

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1010 of 1016 Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
If he's looking at a Sonos Connect, he probably already has an amp and speakers in his garage that he likes better than the Play:1. If a mobile device could act as a zone player then he could connect the headphone out jack to his amp, replacing the need for a Connect. So, as has been discussed, Sonos isn't going to just enable their apps to play music on the mobile device for free. An in app purchase to enable that feature might be an option if the potential profit was equal to or greater than what they would make on the sale of a Connect. That way Sonos still makes the same money. The only reasons I can think for why Sonos has not done is are...

1) They are worried that the app could be hacked and the zone playback enabled without paying for it.
2) They are worried that a truly mobile zone player could be moved from room to room too easily, thereby costing them sales of multiple Connect/Play devices, rather than just one.
3) Perhaps they actually would like to do that, but have gotten push back from Apple, who may see the expansion of Sonos into the mobile playback market as competition for iTunes?
post #1011 of 1016 Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you hit the nail on the head with all three points... Including why I would enjoy something of the sort for the garage, but I am certainly not holding my breath Starting up a boycott is some next level stuff though, Haha. I am not hurting THAT bad with my particular situation....

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1012 of 1016 Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder whether Sonos has chosen this route to protect hardware sales or preserve system stability and quality.

I ran a Squeezebox system for years, with all kinds of frankenstein clients -- iOS devices, old PC's, raspberry pi's, etc etc. It was cool that the system was so open. And it was a nightmare in terms of stability and sync, versus what I have with Sonos.

----

On the other hand, I thought this boycott was about source devices, and which ones Sonos supports. Of course, via the line in option on several different devices, one can pipe any source around the house. But that is an admittedly wired solution -- unless you spend $50 on a wireless setup.....

post #1013 of 1016 Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
'And it was a nightmare in terms of stability and sync, versus what I have with Sonos.' - whilst protecting its hardware market I suspect this is the biggest worry about opening up the system to allow it to stream to other devices, it would be a nightmare to support!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #1014 of 1016 Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head with all three points... Including why I would enjoy something of the sort for the garage, but I am certainly not holding my breath Starting up a boycott is some next level stuff though, Haha. I am not hurting THAT bad with my particular situation....
It took me a few months to save up for a Connect:Amp for my garage. All I did was not take the family out to dinner once a month for three months. It always amazes me when my friends see my SONOS setup (plus speakers) and ask "What did that run you?" My answer is always the same: "Well, for seven rooms (3 Connect:Amps, 2 Connects, 1 S5, 1 S3) and speakers, about the difference of eating a nice meal at home versus taking the family out to eat for one year."

And on a side note, 3 out of 4 times the restaurant over cooks my salmon, when I can nail it on the grill 100% of the time (plus I can listen to SONOS out on my patio while grilling).
bswiz likes this.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #1015 of 1016 Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Haha, as long as your family is still happy, seems like you found a nice loop-hole!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1016 of 1016 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

I just found out about the boycott, which I think isn't well thought out. If streaming from an app on your phone is what you really want to do, just get a cheap bluetooth device and plug it in. Before SONOS, I bought two such devices for my amps. I don't use them with SONOS since its ability to stream from the internet directly, or my laptop, is so much better for what I want the system for. When I walk out of range of my wifi, I want to be able to continue listening to music.

Anyway - the boycott doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. It had 94 views with 3 people joining it.

HDTV.....or not......Is the HDTV picture quality we have come to love threatened? Will we look back at what we "used" to have? ........I hope not........
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page