Official SONOS owners thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1092 Old 06-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Newbie
 
Esr3885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a Panasonic TC-P65S60, Directv Geni, and Xbox One.

As I understand it the Xbox one out puts DD 5.1 (I'm not a pro at this so I may be wrong). So is there a way that I can hook my Directv box to my Xbox and then into my TV and have true DD 5.1 surround with everything (TV, Xbox Games, and Blu Ray on Xbox)?
Esr3885 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1092 Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,080
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Anyone using "qobuz"? I searched this thread and found not a single mention. But since it's the only major lossless streaming format, and Sonos supports it, I was hoping to solicit some insights. Worth c $30 a month?

____________________

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
nathan_h is offline  
post #993 of 1092 Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Superman07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Anyone using "qobuz"? I searched this thread and found not a single mention. But since it's the only major lossless streaming format, and Sonos supports it, I was hoping to solicit some insights. Worth c $30 a month?
I've heard of it, but haven't heard any feedback. I was curious myself, but didn't realize it was $30 a month!
Superman07 is offline  
post #994 of 1092 Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,080
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I've heard of it, but haven't heard any feedback. I was curious myself, but didn't realize it was $30 a month!
That's the price for lossless. Lossy is ten euros so about $14.
nathan_h is offline  
post #995 of 1092 Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Newbie
 
tdmoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I found some guy who seems to have hacked his play 1 to run off a battery pack. I would love to be able to do this so that I could take out a speaker with me to BBQ in the backyard without having to run an extension cord. The video is on youtube if you search: youtube sonos battery- it is the top result. Link is
Anyone have any info on how this guy made this work. His video does not include instruction but is just a proof of concept type thing.
tdmoreno is offline  
post #996 of 1092 Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slateef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Heaven
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I needs some advice, please.

Building a house with in-ceiling speakers in several rooms and patio. How would I be able to use Sonos to play music throughout the home? What if my wife wants to listen to something in the kitchen, while I wanted to listen to something else on the patio? Would that require two difference receivers to be hooked up to Sonos? I'll have speakers on both floors of the home...how can I distribute different music to them? Or with Sonos would it have to be the same song through all the speakers?

Sorry for the ignorance, but I just needs some guidance here.

Thanks in advance!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
slateef is offline  
post #997 of 1092 Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 AM
Senior Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
While Sonos is know for their Stand Alone Speakers that can play their own content or be grouped together you can also look at the Sono's Connect Product which come in two flavors one amplified and the other without amplification.

If you would use a "Connect Amp" for each of the rooms it would give you a lot of flexibility but at a cost as each Connect Amp is $499.

This solution would allow you to control each room separately so they could be playing something different in every single room (Zone) or Group any one of them together or all of them together to play the same content. Of course this would NOT include speakers themselves. This is really the only way I can see going with the most flexibility. If you went with the Non-Amplified versions you would have to add in an external Amp and have to handle switching separately.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
I needs some advice, please.

Building a house with in-ceiling speakers in several rooms and patio. How would I be able to use Sonos to play music throughout the home? What if my wife wants to listen to something in the kitchen, while I wanted to listen to something else on the patio? Would that require two difference receivers to be hooked up to Sonos? I'll have speakers on both floors of the home...how can I distribute different music to them? Or with Sonos would it have to be the same song through all the speakers?

Sorry for the ignorance, but I just needs some guidance here.

Thanks in advance!
funhouse69 is online now  
post #998 of 1092 Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scientest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
Building a house with in-ceiling speakers in several rooms and patio. How would I be able to use Sonos to play music throughout the home? What if my wife wants to listen to something in the kitchen, while I wanted to listen to something else on the patio? Would that require two difference receivers to be hooked up to Sonos? I'll have speakers on both floors of the home...how can I distribute different music to them? Or with Sonos would it have to be the same song through all the speakers?
For every set of speakers that you want to be able to play an independent stream of music you need a separate Sonos unit. That could be a bunch of non-amped Connects that are run into a multi-zone distribution amplifier -- maybe all sitting in a single equipment closet. Or, it could be a separate Connect Amps with built in amps, one for each pair of speakers -- maybe with each Connect in each room, which might give you more robust connections to things like an iPhone used to control it. Using multiple Connects with a distribution amp might be cheaper and more flexible but it would also be more complex to operate...
scientest is offline  
post #999 of 1092 Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Boycott over lack of streaming (boycottowl)

For anyone who is interested, there is a Sonos Boycott on boycottowl. It calls on all current and potential Sonos users to refrain from buying any new Sonos equipment until they add streaming capability to the controller software:

http://www.boycottowl.com/Sonos/804
avuser2014 is offline  
post #1000 of 1092 Old 07-18-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SimpleTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by avuser2014 View Post
For anyone who is interested, there is a Sonos Boycott on boycottowl. It calls on all current and potential Sonos users to refrain from buying any new Sonos equipment until they add streaming capability to the controller software:

http://www.boycottowl.com/Sonos/804
I'll admit I'm confused. Not clear from the link what the issue is, since I stream music. Please clarify.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
SimpleTheater is offline  
post #1001 of 1092 Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Streaming actual device audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
I'll admit I'm confused. Not clear from the link what the issue is, since I stream music. Please clarify.
Indeed, music streaming from both local and cloud resources is pretty easy to set up, in my opinion. However, this does not allow users to wirelessly stream the audio that is actually playing on their device.

This is the issue that many people on the Sonos site and elsewhere have with the system.
avuser2014 is offline  
post #1002 of 1092 Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
'This is the issue that many people ' - really!!!


1 boycott and 24 'views' - that'll sort Sonos out then


Did I miss the page where Sonos offered this feature/function???


Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Joe Fernand is offline  
post #1003 of 1092 Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Boycott Sonos? How could I live without Sonos...please, dont be so hard on them...

Stef
stef2 is offline  
post #1004 of 1092 Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by avuser2014 View Post
For anyone who is interested, there is a Sonos Boycott on boycottowl. It calls on all current and potential Sonos users to refrain from buying any new Sonos equipment until they add streaming capability to the controller software:

http://www.boycottowl.com/Sonos/804


B as in B, S as in S.

Someone wants a boyott until Sonos adds streaming capability?!?!

Streaming is ALL I do on Sonos. From multiple sources. For years.

A boycott? Really?!

This is absurd.
hanesian is offline  
post #1005 of 1092 Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,768
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 876
I think the concept is desire to stream available music to something like your ipad or phone that uses the controller software without need of an actual sonos box of some sort.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #1006 of 1092 Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I think the concept is desire to stream available music to something like your ipad or phone that uses the controller software without need of an actual sonos box of some sort.
That could be, although I wonder if that is really the beef, since the boycott confusingly mainly mentions something about needing a "wired connection" to do what he wants. Still not clear exactly what that is. I can't even understand exactly what this person is alleging the problem to be, and I have read his "boycott' page several times.

If you are correct that his real beef is simply being able to stream without any Sonos device, that seems pretty absurd as well: does he demand that Sonos rejigger their proprietary free contoller software so anyone can use their proprietary multi zone audio system without buying ANY hardware from them? Is that what he wants? Sounds a lot like what one would hear from the proverbial teenager living in mom & dad's basement and resenting the lack of support they are providing.

How exactly would Sonos - or any innovative technology company - survive, much less afford to continue to create and innovate if they were to give away the fruits of their labor for free?

Perhaps I'm confused and missing something, but to date the originator of the 'boycott' has not made any rational case that I can discern. It would appear that I am not alone in that, as this boycott page shows a total of one boycotter - presumably only the originator himself. That pretty much says it all.
SimpleTheater likes this.
hanesian is offline  
post #1007 of 1092 Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,768
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Your guess could be quite spot on. While I would love to see some type of "licensing" where you could in fact basically "unlock" the app for your phone via a purchase of a sonos system component of any type, to allow access to stream the music wirelessly over the device, that would still yield somewhat negative results for sonos IMO. I would go from being on the verge of buying another connect for my garage setup to just pluggin my phone in via headphone jack and using that as the streaming device so yes, it does not make sense from a sales standpoint. Perhaps they could offer an update to the software whereas you buy a lifetime "any device" unlock code into the app and it would allow you to do such a thing. You could even make that charge something like the same price as a play 1 or connect and yield some additional sales. I know I don't use my garage setup enough to really validate another $350 box, but if for $200 I could just use my phone, I would certainly jump on it

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #1008 of 1092 Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm probably just dense or misunderstanding you, beastaudio, but wouldn't a $200 Play 1 do what you want in the garage at the price point you can accept, and you would control it from your phone as any Sonos zone?
hanesian is offline  
post #1009 of 1092 Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,768
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
I'm probably just dense or misunderstanding you, beastaudio, but wouldn't a $200 Play 1 do what you want in the garage at the price point you can accept, and you would control it from your phone as any Sonos zone?
I mean it would do that, but I already have a pretty nice setup in the garage that I would want to use as the "speakers" instead, where simply walking outside and plugging my phone in would be pretty nice for the DIY horns that are out there

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #1010 of 1092 Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
I'm probably just dense or misunderstanding you, beastaudio, but wouldn't a $200 Play 1 do what you want in the garage at the price point you can accept, and you would control it from your phone as any Sonos zone?
If he's looking at a Sonos Connect, he probably already has an amp and speakers in his garage that he likes better than the Play:1. If a mobile device could act as a zone player then he could connect the headphone out jack to his amp, replacing the need for a Connect. So, as has been discussed, Sonos isn't going to just enable their apps to play music on the mobile device for free. An in app purchase to enable that feature might be an option if the potential profit was equal to or greater than what they would make on the sale of a Connect. That way Sonos still makes the same money. The only reasons I can think for why Sonos has not done is are...

1) They are worried that the app could be hacked and the zone playback enabled without paying for it.
2) They are worried that a truly mobile zone player could be moved from room to room too easily, thereby costing them sales of multiple Connect/Play devices, rather than just one.
3) Perhaps they actually would like to do that, but have gotten push back from Apple, who may see the expansion of Sonos into the mobile playback market as competition for iTunes?
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1011 of 1092 Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,768
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 876
I think you hit the nail on the head with all three points... Including why I would enjoy something of the sort for the garage, but I am certainly not holding my breath Starting up a boycott is some next level stuff though, Haha. I am not hurting THAT bad with my particular situation....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #1012 of 1092 Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,080
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I wonder whether Sonos has chosen this route to protect hardware sales or preserve system stability and quality.

I ran a Squeezebox system for years, with all kinds of frankenstein clients -- iOS devices, old PC's, raspberry pi's, etc etc. It was cool that the system was so open. And it was a nightmare in terms of stability and sync, versus what I have with Sonos.

----

On the other hand, I thought this boycott was about source devices, and which ones Sonos supports. Of course, via the line in option on several different devices, one can pipe any source around the house. But that is an admittedly wired solution -- unless you spend $50 on a wireless setup.....

____________________

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
nathan_h is offline  
post #1013 of 1092 Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
'And it was a nightmare in terms of stability and sync, versus what I have with Sonos.' - whilst protecting its hardware market I suspect this is the biggest worry about opening up the system to allow it to stream to other devices, it would be a nightmare to support!


Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Joe Fernand is offline  
post #1014 of 1092 Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SimpleTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head with all three points... Including why I would enjoy something of the sort for the garage, but I am certainly not holding my breath Starting up a boycott is some next level stuff though, Haha. I am not hurting THAT bad with my particular situation....
It took me a few months to save up for a Connect:Amp for my garage. All I did was not take the family out to dinner once a month for three months. It always amazes me when my friends see my SONOS setup (plus speakers) and ask "What did that run you?" My answer is always the same: "Well, for seven rooms (3 Connect:Amps, 2 Connects, 1 S5, 1 S3) and speakers, about the difference of eating a nice meal at home versus taking the family out to eat for one year."

And on a side note, 3 out of 4 times the restaurant over cooks my salmon, when I can nail it on the grill 100% of the time (plus I can listen to SONOS out on my patio while grilling).
bswiz likes this.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
SimpleTheater is offline  
post #1015 of 1092 Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,768
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Haha, as long as your family is still happy, seems like you found a nice loop-hole!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #1016 of 1092 Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I apologize if this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread...

I'm considering purchasing a Sonos Connect to integrate into my living room setup, which includes a 7.2 channel AVR with Airplay, Bluetooth, and stereo Zone 2 analog pre-outs. There are a few things I am interested in accomplishing with this setup...

1) To consolidate all of my music streaming options (both internet streaming services and locally stored audio files) into a single device/UI that is easily controlled with an Android/iPad/iPhone.
2) To allow playback of all of the above on my existing sound system, using a single input source.
3) To begin building a multi-zone audio setup that will allow me to share this audio throughout the house, sometimes playing different music in different zones and sometimes playing the same music is multiple zones (in sync with eachother).
4) To be able to send audio from external sources, including the DirecTV receiver, to other parts of the house (without having to run wires).

Item #'s 1-3 are pretty straight forward and are options found in many wireless audio packages. Item #3 obviously requires a Connect. I will likely connect both the optical and analog outputs from the Connect to the AVR for flexibility, though I would use the optical connection most of the time for better quality in the living room. Item #4 is the one that, as far as I can tell, makes Sonos the best option (as opposed to strictly using an AppleTV/Roku/etc.). Not many wireless audio systems seem to have inputs for external source devices. With that being said, I have a few questions regarding the analog inputs on the Connect...

1) What quality can I expect from their analog to digital conversion? Will it be CD quality (assuming the source is outputting CD or better quality)?
2) Is there a noticeable delay resulting from the need to make the analog to digital conversion? For instance, if I have the audio playing directly from the source in the living room and the same audio playing through the Sonos system in another room close by and can hear both as I walk through the house, will there be an audible delay? I realize that the Sonos system is able to sync audio that it is putting out to multiple zones, but wasn't sure if my scenario would be different since one of the zones is not directly tied into the Sonos controller.
3) Are there any alternative products that can actually accept digital audio inputs (HDMI/optical/coax) from an external source and integrate them into a wireless audio system without the need for the extra digital to analog and analog to digital conversions?
4) Are there any alternative products that support wireless streaming of multi-channel audio to multiple zones? I know Sharp has a universal player coming out that can stream multi-channel audio via. WiSA, but it is priced considerably higher than I would like and I am not sure that it can actually support multiple zones and 7.1 channel surround sound simultaneously.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 08-15-2014 at 12:52 PM.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1017 of 1092 Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,768
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
I apologize if this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread...

I'm considering purchasing a Sonos Connect to integrate into my living room setup, which includes a 7.2 channel AVR with Airplay, Bluetooth, and stereo Zone 2 analog pre-outs. There are a few things I am interested in accomplishing with this setup...

1) To consolidate all of my music streaming options (both internet streaming services and locally stored audio files) into a single device/UI that is easily controlled with an Android/iPad/iPhone.
2) To allow playback of all of the above on my existing sound system, using a single input source.
3) To begin building a multi-zone audio setup that will allow me to share this audio throughout the house, sometimes playing different music in different zones and sometimes playing the same music is multiple zones (in sync with eachother).
4) To be able to send audio from external sources, including the DirecTV receiver, to other parts of the house (without having to run wires).

Item #'s 1-3 are pretty straight forward and are options found in many wireless audio packages. Item #3 obviously requires a Connect. I will likely connect both the optical and analog outputs from the Connect to the AVR for flexibility, though I would use the optical connection most of the time for better quality in the living room. Item #4 is the one that, as far as I can tell, makes Sonos the best option (as opposed to strictly using an AppleTV/Roku/etc.). Not many wireless audio systems seem to have inputs for external source devices. With that being said, I have a couple questions regarding the analog inputs on the Connect...

1) What quality can I expect from their analog to digital conversion? Will it be CD quality (assuming the source is outputting CD or better quality)?
2) Is there a noticeable delay resulting from the need to make the analog to digital conversion? For instance, if I have the audio playing directly from the source in the living room and the same audio playing through the Sonos system in another room close by and can hear both as I walk through the house, will there be an audible delay? I realize that the Sonos system is able to sync audio that it is putting out to multiple zones, but wasn't sure if my scenario would be different since one of the zones is not directly tied into the Sonos controller.
3) Are there any alternative products that can actually accept digital audio inputs (HDMI/optical/coax) from an external source and integrate them into a wireless audio system without the need for the extra digital to analog and analog to digital conversions?
Their DAC seems impressive to me so far. I will point out that you will absolutely have to use the analog in to your AVR as only a handful of current AVR's can take a digital signal and output it to zone 2. Almost all require analog for z2/z3. Now if you use both. the digital will send to your main zone, with zone two picking up the slack for external zones.

Delay: I have not noticed delay that is anything bad enough to affect that tunnel-like sound when transitioning between rooms. In fact, it drastically improved when I went to the sonos from when I was using a combo appleTV and airplay approach previously.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #1018 of 1092 Old 08-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
SeaNile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Couple of question about buying a Sonos system for my home. This will be a stand alone unit with no existing amp, receiver, etc.

1. Router is upstairs, main speakers will be downstairs, will this be an issue?

2. Main room where TV is located. Not sure I want to go with 5.1 so I just want good sound in this main room. Can I run 2 Play5's in stereo? What is the best way to achieve best sound in main listening area?

3. Going back several years ago I had a Bose 2.1 system with sub. Always sounded crappy to me and there seemed to be a huge separation between highs and lows and felt that I knew exactly where the sub was located. If I go with Sonos and add a sub is it a well integrated sound?

4. I have wifi by the pool which is just a few steps away from my home. If I can get a signal can I bring out a Play5 or 2 Play 3's and use this for outside sound?

5. Best way to get music to Sonos with iTunes and MacBook Pro? I'm OK with powering on the computer when I want to listen to music, Does not need to be on 24/7.

Thanks! Think I'm going shopping tomorrow....
SeaNile is offline  
post #1019 of 1092 Old 08-15-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,080
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Their DAC seems impressive to me so far. I will point out that you will absolutely have to use the analog in to your AVR as only a handful of current AVR's can take a digital signal and output it to zone 2. Almost all require analog for z2/z3. Now if you use both. the digital will send to your main zone, with zone two picking up the slack for external zones.

Delay: I have not noticed delay that is anything bad enough to affect that tunnel-like sound when transitioning between rooms. In fact, it drastically improved when I went to the sonos from when I was using a combo appleTV and airplay approach previously.
I love SONOS and would argue it's "the Apple" of whole home audio -- simple, effective, not cheap but not silly expensive. And their support is actually better than Apple -- lifetime online and phone support.

BUT in my experience, when I listen to external audio captured by my Connect, in the other zones there is a noticeable LAG (echo) *if* I have the original source playing (rather than routed through the CONNECT and then playing).

TV->CONNECT->OTHER ZONE means "TV" and "OTHER ZONE" are NOT in sync. CONNECT and OTHER ZONE are in sync.

Of course, in your situation, if you listen to the TV in the TV room via the CONNECT (and not via the TV), while the audio will not be delayed in other zones, the lipsync will be off on the TV. And you will lose surround sound.

____________________

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
nathan_h is offline  
post #1020 of 1092 Old 08-15-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,080
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Couple of question about buying a Sonos system for my home. This will be a stand alone unit with no existing amp, receiver, etc.

1. Router is upstairs, main speakers will be downstairs, will this be an issue?

2. Main room where TV is located. Not sure I want to go with 5.1 so I just want good sound in this main room. Can I run 2 Play5's in stereo? What is the best way to achieve best sound in main listening area?

3. Going back several years ago I had a Bose 2.1 system with sub. Always sounded crappy to me and there seemed to be a huge separation between highs and lows and felt that I knew exactly where the sub was located. If I go with Sonos and add a sub is it a well integrated sound?

4. I have wifi by the pool which is just a few steps away from my home. If I can get a signal can I bring out a Play5 or 2 Play 3's and use this for outside sound?

5. Best way to get music to Sonos with iTunes and MacBook Pro? I'm OK with powering on the computer when I want to listen to music, Does not need to be on 24/7.

Thanks! Think I'm going shopping tomorrow....
1. Probably no problem, if you put a BRIDGE on ethernet, or otherwise have ethernet where one of the PLAY speakers is. Depends a little on distance and wall type and local network interference. (There is, in the works, a system from SONOS that won't require ANY device to be hard wired, but it is months behind schedule and I would never recommend buying any system based on a feature that is not released yet.)

2. Yes you can run two PLAY5's in stereo. But I would choose PLAY1's and a SUB.

3. Yes, the SONOS sub is quite musical and well integrated, though requires a little setup (location matters, level setting matters). NOTE: The sub WILL NOT pair with Play5's. It will pair with Play1's.

4. Probably. Note SONOS does not use your wifi. It creates its own network.

5. You create a shared drive / folder on your laptop and SONOS reads it from there. Not ideal if you are switching it off, but I suppose it might work. I have not tried that.

____________________

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
nathan_h is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off