post #1021 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Couple of question about buying a Sonos system for my home. This will be a stand alone unit with no existing amp, receiver, etc.

1. Router is upstairs, main speakers will be downstairs, will this be an issue?

2. Main room where TV is located. Not sure I want to go with 5.1 so I just want good sound in this main room. Can I run 2 Play5's in stereo? What is the best way to achieve best sound in main listening area?

3. Going back several years ago I had a Bose 2.1 system with sub. Always sounded crappy to me and there seemed to be a huge separation between highs and lows and felt that I knew exactly where the sub was located. If I go with Sonos and add a sub is it a well integrated sound?

4. I have wifi by the pool which is just a few steps away from my home. If I can get a signal can I bring out a Play5 or 2 Play 3's and use this for outside sound?

5. Best way to get music to Sonos with iTunes and MacBook Pro? I'm OK with powering on the computer when I want to listen to music, Does not need to be on 24/7.

Thanks! Think I'm going shopping tomorrow....
1. Probably no problem, if you put a BRIDGE on ethernet, or otherwise have ethernet where one of the PLAY speakers is. Depends a little on distance and wall type and local network interference. (There is, in the works, a system from SONOS that won't require ANY device to be hard wired, but it is months behind schedule and I would never recommend buying any system based on a feature that is not released yet.)

2. Yes you can run two PLAY5's in stereo. But I would choose PLAY1's and a SUB.

3. Yes, the SONOS sub is quite musical and well integrated, though requires a little setup (location matters, level setting matters). NOTE: The sub WILL NOT pair with Play5's. It will pair with Play1's.

4. Probably. Note SONOS does not use your wifi. It creates its own network.

5. You create a shared drive / folder on your laptop and SONOS reads it from there. Not ideal if you are switching it off, but I suppose it might work. I have not tried that.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Interesting that the Play5 won't work with sub but the Play1 will. So what do you think is better, 2 Play1's with sub or 2 Play5 in stereo w/o sub?
post #1023 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Little caveat to #4 :

Sonos uses your main wifi to read FROM your library or NAS, but once it pulls the music from there, the distribution is through its own "mesh" network. If you truly want to not use your wifi for the streaming. you need to have a music source hard wired into one of the units in some form or fashion.
nathan_h likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1024 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting that the Play5 won't work with sub but the Play1 will. So what do you think is better, 2 Play1's with sub or 2 Play5 in stereo w/o sub?
The PLAY1's are excellent monitor speakers and with a SUB will give you a very nice full range system with excellent imaging and full range music reproduction. That would absolutely be my choice.
Janibrewski likes this.

Build Thread:
post #1025 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

I don't mind having to power up the computer when I want to listen to music. If I do that will it work OK with iTunes?
post #1026 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though I have a Mac I don't use iTunes. I don't know what the integration experience is like. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Otherwise, the sonos user forums are very good places to look as well.

Build Thread:
post #1027 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I don't mind having to power up the computer when I want to listen to music. If I do that will it work OK with iTunes?
Depends on what you mean. In my experience it reads the iTunes music folder directly so, in that sense, it's not working with iTunes.

I have it set to refresh its index from my iTunes folder every day at 4am and never noticed anything odd. It shows all the same info as iTunes.
post #1028 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Even though I have a Mac I don't use iTunes. I don't know what the integration experience is like. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Otherwise, the sonos user forums are very good places to look as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Depends on what you mean. In my experience it reads the iTunes music folder directly so, in that sense, it's not working with iTunes.

I have it set to refresh its index from my iTunes folder every day at 4am and never noticed anything odd. It shows all the same info as iTunes.
Yep. I still run my entire library through the Itunes folder and it works great. I have actually come home and downloaded songs that I have heard elsewhere (XM, Spotify) during the daytime and while I make my library update at 6am each day, I have manually updated after I download the songs and after about 10 minutes or so, my recently added playlist has everything I just uploaded there. It takes a couple more clicks than just using the itunes and appleTv interface, but is quicker than I anticipated. The initial upload of you library takes a little while, but updates are piece of cake.

@nathan_h how you been bud? Might be in mind for a personal speaker switcher here in the near future

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #1029 of 1073 Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I had one too many beers, 'cause I don't follow. But I am glad you could SeaNile out.

Build Thread:
post #1030 of 1073 Old 08-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Just bought a bridge and 2 of the Play5. Running them in stereo and it's a fantastic value! Sounds very good,

2 questions. It's only reading about 1/4 of my iTunes library. Not sure how or why, but it powered up OK and synched but why is only some of my library is accessible?

Other question, always looking for louder and better sound....can I run 4 Play 5's in stereo in one room? Or should I get the sub and see if that helps? Sounds good, but always wanting more.
post #1031 of 1073 Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just bought a bridge and 2 of the Play5. Running them in stereo and it's a fantastic value! Sounds very good,

2 questions. It's only reading about 1/4 of my iTunes library. Not sure how or why, but it powered up OK and synched but why is only some of my library is accessible?

Other question, always looking for louder and better sound....can I run 4 Play 5's in stereo in one room? Or should I get the sub and see if that helps? Sounds good, but always wanting more.
Glad you like them.

Regarding your questions:

1) If you have more than 65,000 tracks, Sonos will only recognize and index the first 65,000 tracks. It will ignore the rest. (Niggles: The actual number can be lower since there is also a limit to the amount of meta data Sonos can store; so if you have long file names, or lots of info in tags, etc, you may not get to track 65000 songs. That said, there are some awkward workarounds people on the Sonos forums have come up with. My workaround: I have Sonos index all my lossless tracks, which get no where near the limit, and then instead of keeping track of my lossy tracks I have a Google Music All Play subscription, which gives me access to just about everything under the sun.)

2) No, you cannot use a Sonos sub with the Play5. The devices are not compatible with one another. The Sub will work with the Play1, and together with a play one actually read a higher SPL, IIRC.

Build Thread:
post #1032 of 1073 Old 08-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

2) No, you cannot use a Sonos sub with the Play5. The devices are not compatible with one another. The Sub will work with the Play1, and together with a play one actually read a higher SPL, IIRC.
This is the first I've heard that. I hang out on the Sonos forums quite a bit and have never seen this mentioned.

For example, here is one post where someone talks about using a pair of Play5's with the Sub:
http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=15

I'd argue the P5 with sub might be overkill (instead of Play1/3's with sub) but everything I've read says it can be done if you want to.

Maybe you are thinking of the limitation of using P5's as surround speakers with the PLAYBAR? Only P1/P3 can be used as surrounds due to the 5Ghz radio in them.
post #1033 of 1073 Old 08-17-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
This is the first I've heard that. I hang out on the Sonos forums quite a bit and have never seen this mentioned.

For example, here is one post where someone talks about using a pair of Play5's with the Sub:
http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=15

I'd argue the P5 with sub might be overkill (instead of Play1/3's with sub) but everything I've read says it can be done if you want to.

Maybe you are thinking of the limitation of using P5's as surround speakers with the PLAYBAR? Only P1/P3 can be used as surrounds due to the 5Ghz radio in them.
Good point. I may be confusing the two situations. I don't have a Sonos Sub.
post #1034 of 1073 Old 08-17-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Good point. I may be confusing the two situations. I don't have a Sonos Sub.
I only have a single S5 but just removed my Sub from my Playbar and associated it with my S5 and it works fine so I can't imagine it wouldn't work with two S5's in a Stereo Pair.

Oh I the Sub adds a whole lot to the experience so even with S5's I think it would make a big difference but that is really subjective.

It is true that you can't use S5's with the Playbar which is why I got rid of two of my S5's and bought two sets of the Play 1's. I absolutely love the Play 1's and the fact that they are moisture resistant is a bonus as I have one in the bathroom.

Last edited by funhouse69; 08-17-2014 at 04:16 PM.
post #1035 of 1073 Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sonos has great customer service. I have a Play One and a Connect. I had bought the Connect used on ebay (refurbished from a third party) and it quit on me after less than a year. Sonos sold me a refurbished Connect for reasonable price, but it didn't work well, but they gave me a 45 day warranty, so they're going to send me a new one with a one year warranty. I would rank Sonos customer service up there with the very best.
post #1036 of 1073 Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have a ten zone system ready to go.... Where to begin. Three floor house, first floor is a garage and utility room three zones there, second floor bedrooms three zones there, third floor four zones.
Third floor is where the main HT is. The modem/router is there. I also ran ethernet cat5 from third floor to the second and 1st floor, for bridges incase the network was struggling to work properly.

Should i start a separate thread ?????

Thanx KG

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #1037 of 1073 Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
I have a ten zone system ready to go.... Where to begin. Three floor house, first floor is a garage and utility room three zones there, second floor bedrooms three zones there, third floor four zones.
Third floor is where the main HT is. The modem/router is there. I also ran ethernet cat5 from third floor to the second and 1st floor, for bridges incase the network was struggling to work properly.

Thanx KG
Are you saying that these are the zones you would like to have and want advice on what Sonos products to use in each of them? If so, what music sources would you like to be able to incorporate (songs stored on a local PC/NAS, online services, external sources like a CD player or AV receiver, etc)? Do you have any existing speakers that you would like to use with the Sonos ecosystem? How large are each of the rooms? What is your budget?
post #1038 of 1073 Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

No, system is intact. It will be for pandora, XMradio ect. All inwall speakers or inceiling speakers. I ran about a mile or two of wire. I want to control with smart phones android probably

10zones total. I have yet to fire it up.

Third floor is the main living quarters and the main hometheater room. Second floor is sleeping quarters, 1st floor is garage and utility room.

....... and an elevador

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #1039 of 1073 Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, system is intact. It will be for pandora, XMradio ect. All inwall speakers or inceiling speakers. I ran about a mile or two of wire. I want to control with smart phones android probably

10zones total. I have yet to fire it up.

Third floor is the main living quarters and the main hometheater room. Second floor is sleeping quarters, 1st floor is garage and utility room.

....... and an elevador
You've lost me. Is the system that you already have using Sonos Play speakers, Connects, and/or Connect amps for each zone? Without Sonos hardware, the app would be useless to you. It sounds like you might just be looking for some sort of remote control app. If that's the case, we would need to know what all of your speakers are currently connected to, or if you just have all of the speaker wire leading to a closet with no actual hardware or source devices to provide the music. If you already have all of that worked out as well, then I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is.
post #1040 of 1073 Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanx KG
Sounds like you need ten CONNECT:AMPs, at least one of which needs to be connected to your home network via ethernet.

Build Thread:
post #1041 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
No, system is intact.
Define exactly what this means.

I agree with hockeyoAJB - it sounds like you simply have wires run from a central closet location to inwall speakers. Unless you have Sonos hardware connected to the zones in some way, though, you don't have anything that can be run using the Sonos app. A full ten zone system will set you back a pretty penny.

Once you clarify what exactly you have, and what you are looking for, we can offer more suggestions.

post #1042 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

OMG....... I just want to know what is the next step. I prewired the whole thing ! I hooked up 10 connect amps to 10 sets of inwall speakers. The ethernet connection is ready, the whole thing is ready to be plugged in......

I want to be sure i begin correctly.... Sometimes there are better ways to begin a network audio system this big.

I think i need someone who has a system intact that can give me advice on the best way to begin connecting to a network....

Cant be any more straight forward than that Lol.......

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #1043 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Open up the iphone or android app, choose the "add a component" option. You'll need to do it for each unit. It's a one time thing. (One CONNECT AMP needs to be plugged into ethernet.)

---

If you have a local music source (like a NAS drive) you'll need to tell Sonos where that is. You may need to use a desktop client (download from SONOS) on your computer to do that. I don't remember. It's a one time thing.

If you use any online music services, you will want to "add a service" on the iphone or android app to add it (Google All Play, Spotify, Beats, Pandora, etc.)

----

Sit back and enjoy.

Build Thread:
post #1044 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Open up the iphone or android app, choose the "add a component" option. You'll need to do it for each unit. It's a one time thing. (One CONNECT AMP needs to be plugged into ethernet.)

---

If you have a local music source (like a NAS drive) you'll need to tell Sonos where that is. You may need to use a desktop client (download from SONOS) on your computer to do that. I don't remember. It's a one time thing.

If you use any online music services, you will want to "add a service" on the iphone or android app to add it (Google All Play, Spotify, Beats, Pandora, etc.)

----

Sit back and enjoy.
Ty!!! So, just one connect amp will need hardwire internet connection, Ty.

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #1045 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...(One CONNECT AMP needs to be plugged into ethernet.)...
Correct me if I'm wrong but, if you have multiple Connect:Amps and opt to hardwire one of them to your network (rather than using a bridge or hardwiring all of them), the one that is hardwired would need to be powered on in order for any of the other Sonos devices to be able to connect to the network, correct? If so, is it possible for the Connect:Amp in that zone to be powered on without outputting audio to the speakers in that zone?

Just curious as this could impact the choice of which Connect:Amp to hardwire. For instance, it might make sense to hardwire the one connected to the speakers that would be used most often.
post #1046 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Friends:
I an about to purchase Sonos for FOUR "zones". Each zone will handle two rooms with 2 speakers in each room.
My installer is suggesting that I purchase a Niles amp. from him; he says this would be better than buying 4 Sonos amps and connecting2 pairs of speakers to each unit. The Connects would be ~$600 less expensive than the Sonos Amps. which could go toward the $1,500 cost of the amp.
I hope you will share your thoughts on this decision I am facing.
Gratefully, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #1047 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but, if you have multiple Connect:Amps and opt to hardwire one of them to your network (rather than using a bridge or hardwiring all of them), the one that is hardwired would need to be powered on in order for any of the other Sonos devices to be able to connect to the network, correct? If so, is it possible for the Connect:Amp in that zone to be powered on without outputting audio to the speakers in that zone?

Just curious as this could impact the choice of which Connect:Amp to hardwire. For instance, it might make sense to hardwire the one connected to the speakers that would be used most often.
I use a Play1 as my single hard wired unit.

I can listen to music on the other units WITHOUT outputting sound on the Play1.

(FYI, all SONOS units are ALWAYS on. They may not be streaming music but they are always on.)

Build Thread:
post #1048 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post
Friends:
I an about to purchase Sonos for FOUR "zones". Each zone will handle two rooms with 2 speakers in each room.
My installer is suggesting that I purchase a Niles amp. from him; he says this would be better than buying 4 Sonos amps and connecting2 pairs of speakers to each unit. The Connects would be ~$600 less expensive than the Sonos Amps. which could go toward the $1,500 cost of the amp.
I hope you will share your thoughts on this decision I am facing.
Gratefully, Richard
If you just run it off of CONNET:AMPs you will have to use 8 ohm speakers and you will always have music playing in both rooms of each zone, at the same volume.

I don't know if the NILES solution gives you more flexibility, but it might.

Build Thread:
post #1049 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ah, you bring up a very interesting point. WHile I don't at all mind having the music playing in both of the rooms in each zone, I might most certainly want to be able to adjust the volume independently for those two room pairs.
So, are you saying that with the right 3rd party amp (like the Niles) and Sonos Connects (vs. using 4 Sonos Connect:Amps, I could individually control the volume of the 8 pairs of speakers?
Thanks, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #1050 of 1073 Old 08-25-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post
Ah, you bring up a very interesting point. WHile I don't at all mind having the music playing in both of the rooms in each zone, I might most certainly want to be able to adjust the volume independently for those two room pairs.
So, are you saying that with the right 3rd party amp (like the Niles) and Sonos Connects (vs. using 4 Sonos Connect:Amps, I could individually control the volume of the 8 pairs of speakers?
Thanks, Richard
Your installer can answer that better than me. He or she should already have asked you if that is what you want.

But for sure I can answer the other question: if you are running four passive speakers across two rooms off a single connect:amp, the volume will rise and fall in unison.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page