post #1051 of 1055 Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Open up the iphone or android app, choose the "add a component" option. You'll need to do it for each unit. It's a one time thing. (One CONNECT AMP needs to be plugged into ethernet.)

---

If you have a local music source (like a NAS drive) you'll need to tell Sonos where that is. You may need to use a desktop client (download from SONOS) on your computer to do that. I don't remember. It's a one time thing.

If you use any online music services, you will want to "add a service" on the iphone or android app to add it (Google All Play, Spotify, Beats, Pandora, etc.)

----

Sit back and enjoy.
I'm taking notes while on vacation, thats why i havent tryed out your suggestions yet. So as you adding each ConnectAmp, you name them as you go too.

I think for now it will be a Pandora music system, and XM.

I may want to connect one ConnectAmp on each floor to the internet, remember there are three floors and i prewired Cat5 to each floor, why waste that prewire. Will this plan change the setup sequence at all.....

How well do the ConnectAmps handle a 4ohm load. I have 4 inwalls for that zone as they are all in the garage, each pair will be paralleled for 4ohms.....

Last edited by kgveteran; 08-26-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1055 Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
I'm taking notes while on vacation, thats why i havent tryed out your suggestions yet. So as you adding each ConnectAmp, you name them as you go too.

I think for now it will be a Pandora music system, and XM.

I may want to connect one ConnectAmp on each floor to the internet, remember there are three floors and i prewired Cat5 to each floor, why waste that prewire. Will this plan change the setup sequence at all.....

How well do the ConnectAmps handle a 4ohm load. I have 4 inwalls for that zone as they are all in the garage, each pair will be paralleled for 4ohms.....
Sure, hard wire them all to your network. That is the most reliable connection. (Small caveat that some routers won't like this. There is a list on the Sonos web site about which don't like it. It's a relatively small number but of course if yours is one, that's something to pay attention to.)

My UNDERSTANDING but I have not direct experience is that a CONNET:AMP can power a 4ohm per channel load.
post #1053 of 1055 Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Your installer can answer that better than me. He or she should already have asked you if that is what you want.

But for sure I can answer the other question: if you are running four passive speakers across two rooms off a single connect:amp, the volume will rise and fall in unison.
Another possible option might be to use impedence-matching volume controls between the CONNECT:AMP and the speakers. I believe that would give you independent volume control of the rooms.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with this, but there are similar discussions on the Sonos Forums.

Richard:
Unless you already have the 4 sets of speakers, you could also consider using some of the Sonos powered speakers in one or more zones (Play1, 3, or 5) and then you don't have to worry about wiring anything!

Last edited by bswiz; 08-26-2014 at 05:33 PM.
post #1054 of 1055 Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
richardorser - 'sub-zones' are OK but I've found folk tend to end up regretting going down that route once they experience the flexibility of individual Zones in a system. How large are the rooms and have you considered using PLAY:5, 3 or 1 rather than any 'installed' speakers in the sub zones?

If you go down the 'Installed' route are you OK with the 'Sub' Zones always being on and volume matched to the 'main' zone - if not how/where will you want to control the Vol. in the Sub zone?

kgveteran - whilst Sonos can be relatively simple to deploy once you have a large property with presumably lots of other wired/wireless devices on a shared network you want to know what you are doing with your Network settings as you can run into problems. I'd be tempted to suggest you find a local Ci with good Networking and Sonos experience to come in and give you a hand!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #1055 of 1055 Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
OMG....... I just want to know what is the next step. I prewired the whole thing ! I hooked up 10 connect amps to 10 sets of inwall speakers. The ethernet connection is ready, the whole thing is ready to be plugged in......

I want to be sure i begin correctly.... Sometimes there are better ways to begin a network audio system this big.

I think i need someone who has a system intact that can give me advice on the best way to begin connecting to a network....

Cant be any more straight forward than that Lol.......
Nice attitude for someone asking for help.

Good luck.
post #1056 of 1055 Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It never sounds good in print, sorry. I meant no harm.........
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com