post #1051 of 1068 Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
I'm taking notes while on vacation, thats why i havent tryed out your suggestions yet. So as you adding each ConnectAmp, you name them as you go too.

I think for now it will be a Pandora music system, and XM.

I may want to connect one ConnectAmp on each floor to the internet, remember there are three floors and i prewired Cat5 to each floor, why waste that prewire. Will this plan change the setup sequence at all.....

How well do the ConnectAmps handle a 4ohm load. I have 4 inwalls for that zone as they are all in the garage, each pair will be paralleled for 4ohms.....
Sure, hard wire them all to your network. That is the most reliable connection. (Small caveat that some routers won't like this. There is a list on the Sonos web site about which don't like it. It's a relatively small number but of course if yours is one, that's something to pay attention to.)

My UNDERSTANDING but I have not direct experience is that a CONNET:AMP can power a 4ohm per channel load.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1068 Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Your installer can answer that better than me. He or she should already have asked you if that is what you want.

But for sure I can answer the other question: if you are running four passive speakers across two rooms off a single connect:amp, the volume will rise and fall in unison.
Another possible option might be to use impedence-matching volume controls between the CONNECT:AMP and the speakers. I believe that would give you independent volume control of the rooms.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with this, but there are similar discussions on the Sonos Forums.

Richard:
Unless you already have the 4 sets of speakers, you could also consider using some of the Sonos powered speakers in one or more zones (Play1, 3, or 5) and then you don't have to worry about wiring anything!

Last edited by bswiz; 08-26-2014 at 05:33 PM.
post #1053 of 1068 Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
richardorser - 'sub-zones' are OK but I've found folk tend to end up regretting going down that route once they experience the flexibility of individual Zones in a system. How large are the rooms and have you considered using PLAY:5, 3 or 1 rather than any 'installed' speakers in the sub zones?

If you go down the 'Installed' route are you OK with the 'Sub' Zones always being on and volume matched to the 'main' zone - if not how/where will you want to control the Vol. in the Sub zone?

kgveteran - whilst Sonos can be relatively simple to deploy once you have a large property with presumably lots of other wired/wireless devices on a shared network you want to know what you are doing with your Network settings as you can run into problems. I'd be tempted to suggest you find a local Ci with good Networking and Sonos experience to come in and give you a hand!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1054 of 1068 Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
OMG....... I just want to know what is the next step. I prewired the whole thing ! I hooked up 10 connect amps to 10 sets of inwall speakers. The ethernet connection is ready, the whole thing is ready to be plugged in......

I want to be sure i begin correctly.... Sometimes there are better ways to begin a network audio system this big.

I think i need someone who has a system intact that can give me advice on the best way to begin connecting to a network....

Cant be any more straight forward than that Lol.......
Nice attitude for someone asking for help.

Good luck.
jinj likes this.
post #1055 of 1068 Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It never sounds good in print, sorry. I meant no harm.........
post #1056 of 1068 Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
It never sounds good in print, sorry. I meant no harm.........
No harm bud Just work your way through the program on your PC, get all that going, then start connecting the sonos units one by one. Their mesh network is pretty seamless and works fantastically with no drops for me so far, so you shouldn't have problems there. At least one hard-wired to your network gets you started, the rest is a cake walk

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #1057 of 1068 Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Worked out quite well..... Thanx for the help.

Are the old sonos units compatable with new software

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #1058 of 1068 Old 09-14-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Worked out quite well..... Thanx for the help.

Are the old sonos units compatable with new software
Yup. All my units are older zone players at least 5 years old, and I have no issues with using the software updates. Sonos is very good with that thus far.
post #1059 of 1068 Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Niles ZR4630 and am about to upgrade to the newer (and yet discontinued) ZR6. Besides the wall mounted keypads Niles only has a handheld remote for convenience-controlling the zones. I want to keep the Niles system and all my pre-wired speakers and keypads but was thinking on adding a ZP90 as a dedicated audio source to stream Spotify, Pandora and Sirius as well as my local iTunes library. Since it has support for the app and WiFi controls I would have the best of both worlds with Sonos access from any of the wired zones.

Sonos seems like a great product in its simplicity and though I would not be taking advantage of its wireless speakers it seems like it would be an ideal solution for me. Before I pull the trigger for the purchase, is there anything else I should consider?

I appreciate any advice or commentary you Sonos owners can provide.

Mike
post #1060 of 1068 Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler View Post
I currently have a Niles ZR4630 and am about to upgrade to the newer (and yet discontinued) ZR6. Besides the wall mounted keypads Niles only has a handheld remote for convenience-controlling the zones. I want to keep the Niles system and all my pre-wired speakers and keypads but was thinking on adding a ZP90 as a dedicated audio source to stream Spotify, Pandora and Sirius as well as my local iTunes library. Since it has support for the app and WiFi controls I would have the best of both worlds with Sonos access from any of the wired zones.

Sonos seems like a great product in its simplicity and though I would not be taking advantage of its wireless speakers it seems like it would be an ideal solution for me. Before I pull the trigger for the purchase, is there anything else I should consider?

I appreciate any advice or commentary you Sonos owners can provide.

Mike
Don't see any issues. Optical or analog out from ZP90 into amp works great (I use in a 3 places at hone). Obviously, one ZP90 gives you one concurrent source. So if you wanted to listen to Pandora in Room 1 and Spotify in room 2, you'd need 2xZP90's and users would have to know which ZP90 is which input to amp.
post #1061 of 1068 Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 PM
1C5

Hi! I'll have to read through this thread as I just built a new house and am interested in Sonos for different zone audio.
I'll have many questions as I build my system (8 or 9 zones eventually.)

But my first question is this: I bought a Marantz 7007 a/v receiver that I will use to power my great room ( have surround speakers and it's where I'll watch most of my movies). And everywhere in the house will have in ceiling speakers. So I'll use the 7007 to power these 5 speakers and get a Connect for this room.
Now my question is: since the 7007 can do 3 zones, can I add 2 more zones of in ceiling speakers to it and then get 2 more Connects to control 3 zones of speakers powered by the 7007? And still have all the individual zone control of Sonos being able to listen to different things in each zone?

And would this setup work just as well as using a Connect Amp for these other 2 zones?

Thanks!

And one more quick question. When I start adding Connect Amps to other zones, can I keep all the Amps in the basement with my A/V rack or would it be better to have the Amps in each room with the corresponding speakers or does it not matter?
post #1062 of 1068 Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 PM
1C5

Hold on about the last question...I forgot all the speaker wire is already run to my a/v rack in the basement so I hope the Connect Amps can be located in the basement?
post #1063 of 1068 Old 09-16-2014, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post
Hold on about the last question...I forgot all the speaker wire is already run to my a/v rack in the basement so I hope the Connect Amps can be located in the basement?
It is perfectly acceptable to locate all of your Connect:Amps in one central location. As long as you used a minimum of CL2 in-wall rated speaker wire of the appropriate gauge, based on length of wire run, you should be good to go. 14 ga. should be sufficient for anything under 100'. For runs of 100' or more, I would recommend 12 ga.
post #1064 of 1068 Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post
Hi! I'll have to read through this thread as I just built a new house and am interested in Sonos for different zone audio.
I'll have many questions as I build my system (8 or 9 zones eventually.)

But my first question is this: I bought a Marantz 7007 a/v receiver that I will use to power my great room ( have surround speakers and it's where I'll watch most of my movies). And everywhere in the house will have in ceiling speakers. So I'll use the 7007 to power these 5 speakers and get a Connect for this room.
Now my question is: since the 7007 can do 3 zones, can I add 2 more zones of in ceiling speakers to it and then get 2 more Connects to control 3 zones of speakers powered by the 7007? And still have all the individual zone control of Sonos being able to listen to different things in each zone?

And would this setup work just as well as using a Connect Amp for these other 2 zones?

Thanks!

And one more quick question. When I start adding Connect Amps to other zones, can I keep all the Amps in the basement with my A/V rack or would it be better to have the Amps in each room with the corresponding speakers or does it not matter?

You could use Connects for other zones through the Marantz, but Connect Amps would give you way better ease of use. Yes all of your Connect Amps can be in the basement but you might have to deploy a Sonos Bridge or two to other spots in the house if using wireless depending on any coverage issues. If the Connect Amps are wired then disregard the comments about the Sonos Bridge.

Jgiddyup
post #1065 of 1068 Old 09-21-2014, 04:43 PM

I got my Sonos Connect on Friday and WOW....how great is that product??? Easy setup, upgraded to newest firmware, added my music services and network folder location and I was up and running in minutes. I see what you guys are talking about on the Sonos products. Ease of setup and configuration and on top of all that...it just works! Of course I am only using the Connect as a 3rd audio source on my ZR6 system but there is a lot to love already about this product.

Now if I can just get my ZR6 to recognize that my iPod is connected to it......
post #1066 of 1068 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler View Post
I got my Sonos Connect on Friday and WOW....how great is that product??? Easy setup, upgraded to newest firmware, added my music services and network folder location and I was up and running in minutes. I see what you guys are talking about on the Sonos products. Ease of setup and configuration and on top of all that...it just works! Of course I am only using the Connect as a 3rd audio source on my ZR6 system but there is a lot to love already about this product.

Now if I can just get my ZR6 to recognize that my iPod is connected to it......
Welcome to the club. Start adding some stand alone speakers like the Play1 around the house and you'll be hooked -- line and sinker.

Build Thread:
post #1067 of 1068 Old Today, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone tried the new Deezer Elite service through Sonos? They advertise CD-quality FLAC streaming vs. the 320kbps that Spotify has. Wondering if anyone has given it a spin to see what their library is like, etc.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page