AVS Forum banner
304K views 2K replies 394 participants last post by  Superman07 
#1 ·
Wheres the love. I dont see an owners thread. After recently getting a 150 bundle, all i can say is im in heaven. With pandora, rhapsody and the music on my computer , its music nirvana. i think im going to buy another bundle for another powered unit for the patio and another non powered unit for the theater.

bow

See less See more
#877 ·

Funhouse,

Thank you for the very informative reply!

I purchased the playbar with the sole intention of using it as part of a Sonos 5.1 system(although I still need Sub to complete the set), so I would be extremely dissapointed if all I achieved was a "simulated" surround sound.

Am I correct in saying that if I purchase the HDMI switch I will be good to go, and have 5.1 with virtually all my content?

#878 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr90  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24182049

Funhouse,

Thank you for the very informative reply!

I purchased the playbar with the sole intention of using it as part of a Sonos 5.1 system(although I still need Sub to complete the set), so I would be extremely dissapointed if all I achieved was a "simulated" surround sound.

Am I correct in saying that if I purchase the HDMI switch I will be good to go, and have 5.1 with virtually all my content?
Yes provided all of your sources support / output Dolby through their HDMI Connection which shouldn't be an issue as pretty much all of them do. You just need to make sure that the switch has an Optical Out Port. Monoprice has 2 different switches that do. I originally went for this HDMI Switch.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

With this switch you would connect all of your devices (DVR, HTPC, Blu-Ray) to the HDMI Switch then HDMI Out of the Switch to one of the HDMI Inputs on your TV then use the Switch to select the device you want to watch (it has a remote). The optical out from the switch will go in to the Play Bar. This will give you 5.1 all the time provided the source you are watching has it.

Couple of things -

The LEDs on this particular HDMI Switch are obnoxiously bright. I ended up getting the little LED "Light Dims" dots from Think Geek to tone them down.

The First Input on the HDMI Switch is on the front of the unit which is kind of annoying

Because the Play Bar never "Turns Off" when you turn you TV off the Play Bar will keep playing so you have to either power off the HDMI Switch or Mute The Play Bar.

Monoprice also has another Switch that is a little more money that the LEDs are not annoyingly bright and has all of the ports on the back of it. That is their Part # 7974 both of them have a remote. This one is a much simpler remote and the one I am currently using.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

#879 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24181808

The Lack of DTS Support means that if you play a Blu-Ray that has only a DTS Soundtrack you get no sound whatsoever out of your Play Bar. That said my Blu-Ray player has a setting that Down-Mixes the output from DTS to Dolby 5.1 and it sounds AWESOME. I don't know if this is a common setting on Blu-Ray players or not, I have a Samsung that I got on Black Friday and it is has it.

This can also be accomplished with adjusting the audio settings on a PS3 or PS4

#881 ·

I got a Play 1 as a gift (with a bridge) and it has been working flawlessly. Today I bought a ZP80 off the internet. I connected it to my Marantz SR5005 and it recognized it but I'm not sure what to put the input on to play the sound through the digital out. So far the only sound I get is if I use the analog out. Can anyone tell me what input to use on the receiver? Thanks.

#882 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy4  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24205963

I got a Play 1 as a gift (with a bridge) and it has been working flawlessly. Today I bought a ZP80 off the internet. I connected it to my Marantz SR5005 and it recognized it but I'm not sure what to put the input on to play the sound through the digital out. So far the only sound I get is if I use the analog out. Can anyone tell me what input to use on the receiver? Thanks.

You should be able to connect the Coax on the ZP80 to the Coax on the receiver. Or the optical. They should work equivalently well.

Here's the quick setup guide for it.

#883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy4  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24205963

It depends whether you connected via optical or coax. you need to look at the label and see which digital input you used and then map that to a source (like CD/VCR/Aux). This source will then become the sonos. (See page 48 of manual for input mapping)

#885 ·
I was on the fence to buying Sonos stuff until I heard it at a large store last night. I was several departments oveer when I first heard the music, I was positive somone was messing around with tower speakers and a sub. As my wife and I gradually made my way over there I saw it was a Playbar, sub and 2 play 3's as rears running the Sonos demo. VERY impressive the amount of volume this stuff puts out. I bought the playbar and sub last night. I was aware of the dolby digital issue so I asked the guys at the store. The guy told me that I am in luck because my TV's (Panisonic ST and VT) are 2 of the very few that pass DD. I was stoked, got home and hooked it up via the TV... no dolby digital. I am guessing it might pass though on the OTA input but no other sources. I ran an optical from the SAt box to the play bar and I am in business. It is a waste of money if you arent going to run DD to the playbar the 2 channel audio sounds a 1/4 as good. It is literally night and day. I will also say that there is a pretty pronounced break in period with compoents. I hooked it up last night and listened to music and wasnt exactly thrilled. I let it play almost all day today at a decent volume level and it already sounds much better, much more natural.

If you buy the sub spend some time finding the best place for the sub, that can also make a huge difference in how the system sounds. Thre is a lot of info on sub placement on this forum but I find it best just to place in in several different locations in the room and listen to it for awhile so see what sounds the best to you. Try different seats in the room too. Overal I am REALLY impressed with it so far.

We are building a house and I planned on putting a dedicated wired system in the TV room in the basement and now am considering just putting Sonos down there now. Does anyone know if you can run two subs in one zone? I was initially buying this for the hearth room TV to get decent sound witout having to worry about tradidtional componenets and speakers.

#886 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24227268

We are building a house and I planned on putting a dedicated wired system in the TV room in the basement and now am considering just putting Sonos down there now. Does anyone know if you can run two subs in one zone? I was initially buying this for the hearth room TV to get decent sound witout having to worry about tradidtional componenets and speakers.
When you say two subs in one zone do you mean two subs with a single playbar or other Sonos "Group" if that is what you are asking then answer is no. If you are asking if you can have more than one Sub grouped together with other components say a Playbar / Sub in the Livingroom and another Playbar / Sub in another then sure you can.

#887 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24227685

When you say two subs in one zone do you mean two subs with a single playbar or other Sonos "Group" if that is what you are asking then answer is no. If you are asking if you can have more than one Sub grouped together with other components say a Playbar / Sub in the Livingroom and another Playbar / Sub in another then sure you can.
Meant in one group. That's a bummer.

#888 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24227740

Meant in one group. That's a bummer.
Why would you want to? Even though the Sub is relatively small it is really powerful / impressive in my opinion. That said having more than one doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

You could however get "Creative" and Bond the Sub to another Sonos Device that isn't part of your original TV / Surround Group then Group them together.

Also I neglected to mention before that I am glad you are impressed with Sonos and decided to give it a try. I couldn't agree with you more about going from Stereo to True Dolby, the difference to me makes the whole thing well worth the investment.

#889 ·
One sub, no matter how powerful is going to give you lots of hot spots, where the bass is extra loud and nulls where the bass is quite just due to room acoustics and how sound waves work. 2 subs helps make the frequency response flatter(more consistent in all areas of the room). My basement rec room is pretty large and the larger the room the more you need 2 or 3 subs.

For example: the sub that I plan on buying for the basement is the PSA XS 30 Which is a dual 15" driver sealed sub. I really need two of them to appropriately account for the room size however I will not have 2 giant sub boxes in my room for ascetics alone not cost.

I thought if I could pair 2 subs to the same 5.1 zone in my basement I could put both the subs under the couch and you wouldn't be able to see them.

#893 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24229971

What's everyone take on the play 1 vs the play 3 vs the play 5?
In what way?

The Play 5 has the best sound quality in my opinion but can NOT be used as Rears in a 5.1 Setup.

For some strange reason I feel the Play 1's have a better sound then the Play 3's but that is just like anything else completely subjective. That said I was all set to go with the Play 3's for my rears but after hearing the Play 1's I opted for them and haven't been disappointed one bit! I think the Playbar, Sub, Play 1 Combo sounds just as good as just about any other set up I've heard as long as you get Dolby in to the Playbar.

Oh and the fact that the Play 1's are cheaper is just a bonus and didn't in anyway whatsoever influence my decision.

#894 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24233372

In what way?

The Play 5 has the best sound quality in my opinion but can NOT be used as Rears in a 5.1 Setup.

For some strange reason I feel the Play 1's have a better sound then the Play 3's but that is just like anything else completely subjective. That said I was all set to go with the Play 3's for my rears but after hearing the Play 1's I opted for them and haven't been disappointed one bit! I think the Playbar, Sub, Play 1 Combo sounds just as good as just about any other set up I've heard as long as you get Dolby in to the Playbar.

Oh and the fact that the Play 1's are cheaper is just a bonus and didn't in anyway whatsoever influence my decision.

You must be loaded
! I am just trying to decide what I am going to use for found in my other rooms. I almost like the idea of 2 play 1's over 1 play 5 to achieve stereo sound.

If I buy rears for my playbar they will be play 1's.

#895 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24230468

Then just setup up the second sub in the same room as a second grouped zone. That should solve the problem.

I would think you can run as many subs as you like this way?

BTW, I agree that multiple subs is not so much a volume issue as a smoothness of sound issue. One researcher in acoustics experimented (computationally) with 5000 subs and said that offered the best frequency response.

#896 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24234141

I would think you can run as many subs as you like this way?

Does the software allow you to set just a sub as a zone?

BTW, I agree that multiple subs is not so much a volume issue as a smoothness of sound issue. One researcher in acoustics experimented (computationally) with 5000 subs and said that offered the best frequency response.

#897 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24234210

A Sub has to be "Bonded" with another player maybe in the future you will be able to set them up individually but that for most people wouldn't make sense as a Sub would normally be used with some other kind of player. Adding multiple subs would get away from the "Simple" set up that Sonos likes to promote. Of course some of us would love to have some more advance config options.

#898 ·
I asked this question quite some time ago and didn't receive a response. Thoughts?

I'm considering picking up a Connect to power my HT system when I want to listen to some tunes as well as a Connect Amp or another connect to provide music in a different zone with standalone, non-powered speakers. If I went with a Connect, I'd obviously need an external amp. Does anybody have any recommendations on a few relatively nice amps priced under 1) $300 and 2) $500?

Thanks in advance.

#899 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24244963

I asked this question quite some time ago and didn't receive a response. Thoughts?

I'm considering picking up a Connect to power my HT system when I want to listen to some tunes as well as a Connect Amp or another connect to provide music in a different zone with standalone, non-powered speakers. If I went with a Connect, I'd obviously need an external amp. Does anybody have any recommendations on a few relatively nice amps priced under 1) $300 and 2) $500?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you bother with an external amp when you can just get the Sonos Connect Amp?

One of the best things about Sonos and one of its main selling points is its simplicity, keep it that way with a single Connect amp.

#900 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24244963

Thanks in advance.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish here. You want to set up a Home Theater System with an external Amp and connect a Sonos Connect to it? The reason I am asking is you said "picking up a Connect to power my HT System".

Assuming this is what you are looking for you can probably just get an SV Receiver of your choice or look at some of the stand alone amps from companies like Boston Acoustics, NAD, Polk or Marantz. They all have different price points so do some poking around.

#901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1074710/official-sonos-owners-thread/870#post_24236496

A Sub has to be "Bonded" with another player maybe in the future you will be able to set them up individually but that for most people wouldn't make sense as a Sub would normally be used with some other kind of player. Adding multiple subs would get away from the "Simple" set up that Sonos likes to promote. Of course some of us would love to have some more advance config options.
I am not sure how difficult adding a second sub would be if the software allowed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.