Official SONOS owners thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1099 Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So who thinks they need a Sonos Boost? See the sonos homepage.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1099 Old 10-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
How does the lossless sound through SONOS vs. lossy? Can you tell a difference? Is it worth it? I have a SONOS Connect hooked up to my theater rig and think it would benefit greatly from the higher quality stream, but would like to hear your feedback on the sound comparison.

It's hard to tell, but I'm using Deezer Elite and my CD sourced FLAC files (both lossless) and they sound fine. Even Spotify premium (320Kbps ogg vorbis files, lossy) sounds fine. There is just slight fullness to the Lossless versions and its not noticeable unless you really know the song/track. I would even catch a difference in both background and focused listening.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #1083 of 1099 Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I don't get one thing on their site. They say you can import your favorite mp3's to deezer, but then what? Do they go out and find the lossless version at that point and upload it to their server? Can a say how excited I am that the days of compressed music are slowly coming to an end? With storage these days, it is almost on the horizon. I just want a service that will look at my library and let me switch out low bitrate versions of all my stuff for lossless codecs. If I could grant a program access that would find everything and switch me out, I would be in HOG HEAVEN.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #1084 of 1099 Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Soon to be a Sonos owner, but have a couple noob questions:

1. I know that as of earlier this year, Sonos products work over your existing WiFi, so no bridge needed. For existing/older products, is that just a firmware update? Or does that functionality require a newer unit? (I'm looking at a used Connect:Amp.)

2. I'm pretty sure this will work, but want to confirm:

* Use a Connect with my home stereo, connected to my AVR.
* Use a Connect:Amp in another room, with existing speakers connected.
* Play the same source simultaneously in both rooms.

I eventually plan to add a pair of Play:1's in a 3rd room and also use them on the patio.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #1085 of 1099 Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Soon to be a Sonos owner, but have a couple noob questions:

1. I know that as of earlier this year, Sonos products work over your existing WiFi, so no bridge needed. For existing/older products, is that just a firmware update? Or does that functionality require a newer unit? (I'm looking at a used Connect:Amp.)

2. I'm pretty sure this will work, but want to confirm:

* Use a Connect with my home stereo, connected to my AVR.
* Use a Connect:Amp in another room, with existing speakers connected.
* Play the same source simultaneously in both rooms.

I eventually plan to add a pair of Play:1's in a 3rd room and also use them on the patio.
You don't need a bridge anyway as each Sonos device comes with an Ethernet Port and only 1 device needs to be connected to a network connection and then Sonos does its magic with its own network. Personally I would stick with this as it is tested and works extremely well.

That said as of Software Version 5.1 (according to their website) all Sonos products will work with existing wifi with some exceptions. Read more about it here...
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2638

Your set up will work and you will be able to play the same music / source or or different music / source on each of your Sonos Devices.

A word of warning, once you get anything Sonos you will more than likely get more and more and more... =)
post #1086 of 1099 Old 10-18-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
You don't need a bridge anyway as each Sonos device comes with an Ethernet Port and only 1 device needs to be connected to a network connection and then Sonos does its magic with its own network. Personally I would stick with this as it is tested and works extremely well.

That said as of Software Version 5.1 (according to their website) all Sonos products will work with existing wifi with some exceptions. Read more about it here...
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2638

Your set up will work and you will be able to play the same music / source or or different music / source on each of your Sonos Devices.

A word of warning, once you get anything Sonos you will more than likely get more and more and more... =)
Awesome, thanks. One more question: I currently play Spotify using AirPlay from my phone to the Apple TV connected to my AVR. I like that it displays the album art and song info on the TV. Is there a way to have Sonos do that as well? Not a deal breaker if it doesn't, but would be nice.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #1087 of 1099 Old 10-18-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Awesome, thanks. One more question: I currently play Spotify using AirPlay from my phone to the Apple TV connected to my AVR. I like that it displays the album art and song info on the TV. Is there a way to have Sonos do that as well? Not a deal breaker if it doesn't, but would be nice.
Sonos will automatically display the cover art on whatever controller you are using but I don't know of a way to get it on your ATV but I am not that knowledgeable of ATV.
post #1088 of 1099 Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

There is no video out on any of the sonos units. You can see it on your phone, or your laptop, but would need to have an HDMI from your laptop to your display to show your desktop to see it on your TV. This is definitely one thing I did wish sonos would do, make a simple interface to show on the screen.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1089 of 1099 Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I just wonder if there's a "video only" option in AirPlay for developers. I understand the reason apps like Spotify and Pandora display info from the iOS app to ATV via AirPlay is because it's sending everything - audio and metadata. But I wonder if it's possible to just send the metadata.

Another possible option, which would be great, would be if Sonos were able to get an official ATV app. Problem solved.

post #1090 of 1099 Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Won't happen as that would break from their proprietary network, something that they intentionally keep from happening with all of their products. It would be nice tho... If just for the metadata as you say, that seems more feasible, but then you would have two sources, your connect for the audio and the atv for the video, so might still not be the best option.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1091 of 1099 Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Won't happen as that would break from their proprietary network, something that they intentionally keep from happening with all of their products. It would be nice tho... If just for the metadata as you say, that seems more feasible, but then you would have two sources, your connect for the audio and the atv for the video, so might still not be the best option.
But haven't they already broken from their proprietary network? Everything can work on existing WiFi network...

post #1092 of 1099 Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

To pull content from your main storage area it will use the wifi, but their mesh network is how all the sonos devices actually talk to each other and send signal from hooked up sources.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1093 of 1099 Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can mirror your iPhone to your tv while listening to Sonos for album art etc... but if your video switching is done through the AVR and it doesn't allow separate audio/video sources (most don't) then it will not work.

Jgiddyup
post #1094 of 1099 Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 PM

Liked: 10
All,

I'm in the process of building a new house and today went through the planning for traditional in ceiling speakers. The plan is:

2 in the kitchen
2 in the living room (which is one large room next to the kitchen)
1 speaker bar for the living room TV
2 on the deck
2 under the deck aiming out for a pool
6.1 surround system in the basement projection room.

Today I already have the 6.1 system, speakers and amp and I'm not thinking that needs to be connected to the Sonos system.

The rest of the choices are wide open and I am rethinking whether I purchase and wire these speakers or if I invest the same $ into a few Sonos speakers or if I continue with the wired speakers and use Connect & Connect AMPs to tie it all together and expand into other rooms as needed. At a minimum it sounds like I need to keep the outside/under deck speakers for the pool as Sonos doesn't have any rated for outdoors.

Any thoughts from existing owners? Since it's new construction I have the flexibility.

Thanks in advance.
post #1095 of 1099 Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0wave View Post
All,

I'm in the process of building a new house and today went through the planning for traditional in ceiling speakers. The plan is:

2 in the kitchen
2 on the deck

Today I already have the 6.1 system, speakers and amp and I'm not thinking that needs to be connected to the Sonos system.

The rest of the choices are wide open and I am rethinking whether I purchase and wire these speakers or if I invest the same $ into a few Sonos speakers or if I continue with the wired speakers and use Connect & Connect AMPs to tie it all together and expand into other rooms as needed. At a minimum it sounds like I need to keep the outside/under deck speakers for the pool as Sonos doesn't have any rated for outdoors.

Any thoughts from existing owners? Since it's new construction I have the flexibility.

Thanks in advance.
This really is complete up to you, if you go with in wall / ceiling speakers then they will hidden / out of the way. If you go with players they will have to be placed somewhere which you may or may not want to do. Of course the beauty of having actual players is that they can be moved / relocated if you ever want / need to.

You can use a single Connect / Connect Amp to control multiple rooms but I would try and avoid that as the beauty of Sonos is that you can play different content in every single room.

You are correct they don't have any players that are rated for outdoor use only their Play one is ok for humid locations such as a bathroom.

If you are considering the Sonos Play Bar for your livingroom I would be mindful that it does NOT support Dolby DTS which has been a major sticking point for a lot of people. If you try and play a movie that has DTS you will get no sound whatsoever. Some Blu Ray players will down-convert the audio to 5.1 / AC3 which is supported.

This has been a hassle for me but I don't mind as I rip my library and put my movies on my network so they can be played anywhere / everywhere with Plex so I convert the audio track in the ripping process.

I will say that the Play Bar combined with their Sub and two Play 1's is a very impressive setup. I am very impressed with it but certainly not inexpensive.

As for the basement you can always connect a Connect to it as well as have Sonos available there.
post #1096 of 1099 Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
jgdiddyup - 'but if your video switching is done through the AVR and it doesn't allow separate audio/video sources (most don't) then it will not work'. A simple 'trick' with many AVR's is to use the Optical (or coaxial) Digital Out from your Audio Source connected to a Digital Audio Input you can 'assign' to the same Source as the HDMI 'Video' Source, that way when you select the Video Source via HDMI you can toggle the audio between HDMI (from the video Source) and Optical/Coaxial (from an audio Source).

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #1097 of 1099 Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
All,

2 in the kitchen
2 on the deck

Thanks in advance.
We've just moved from our old house where I had 6 zones on Sonos and 2 zones from my AVR. There my zones where; all the co-joining rooms in the main house, 2 bedrooms, the office, the shop and the patio with the AVR powering the co-joined rooms from a Connect. I found that you never end up using different sources into zones that are beside each other, certainly something like a kitchen that opens onto a great room, but even a dining room ends up playing the same thing as the kitchen the den and the living room. So my personal recommendation is that you do run a Sonos into the AVR but if you have a bunch of rooms where you might want music in 1 of them at a time, but otherwise it will be all or nothing, then run a Connect into a multizone amp that has remote room by room control. Other than that, if you ever think you'll move then the Plays might be the way to go, but the in ceiling speakers may add resale value depending on where you are building...
post #1098 of 1099 Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
or if I invest the same $ into a few Sonos speakers or if I continue with the wired speakers and use Connect & Connect AMPs
I'm not a fan of the Play's sound, although I think the Play1 is not too bad. So I'd go with in-ceiling speakers and Connect:Amps.

I agree with the person who said zones next to each other tend to play the same thing. The ability to control volume independently in adjacent zones is critical. I found, with one Connect driving a multi-zone amp with no per-zone volume control, that it was really annoying. One room's too loud, one's too soft, etc.
post #1099 of 1099 Old Today, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two adjacent areas like this, pool an patio and mater BR and bath. I use one connect amp for each area with individual wall volume controlls for each sub zone. For each pair I set the vc for the sub zone which is softer to max, then trim down the louder sub zone until the volume in the two is equal. Then I am using the sonos app volume to adjust them together. I find I almost never have to adjust the wall vcs unless I want one of the sub zones completely off.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page