Official SONOS owners thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1141 of 1170 Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very familiar with Elan G! and Control4 but they are more home automation systems than whole house audio systems. When I said no IPods on the walls I didn't mean those types of controllers but I'm really not considering a full home automation system at this point. That controller alone is close to if not more than $1000 alone.... with no system components. I looked a bit closer and see that that is an iPad mini with the Elan G! app! Looks nice!! Do you know what wall mount they are using for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1170 Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton3 View Post
I really miss having the keypads installed at each location and buying iPods and having them in different locations is not my thing so please don't suggest that....
OK, buy some Androids instead. Seriously, cheap Chinese Androids can be bought for less than the cost of the Russound keypads.... Heck, even and Amazon Fire HD is only $99 and that would give you a 6" screen!
nathan_h likes this.
post #1143 of 1170 Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Yep, if what you want is a touch pad, just buy some ready made wall boxes. You'll need to run power to them, but many are ready for that.

Then, "permanently" mount your iPod or android tablet of choice, programmed to stay open to the Sonos control app. Not sure about which are easiest/best mounts.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #1144 of 1170 Old 11-17-2014, 08:36 PM

I was too quick to rule out mounting iPods partly because I didn't want to deal with the issue swiping the screen to open the iPod, and then finding the app and opening it, etc., and never realized you could set your iPod to stay on one app only. After researching the mount you suggested, I came across an article explaining how to set your iPod to remain on one app only. I tried it and think it could be a nice solution together with a nice wall mount. Thanks for the suggestion!!
nathan_h likes this.
post #1145 of 1170 Old 11-17-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Please share the link and how the solution goes.

I for one can conceptually see it working perfectly (in my head) but don't actually know all the steps yet.

post #1146 of 1170 Old 11-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Warning long post!!!

Okay folks, I have a bit of a dilemma that I need help resolving. In 2005, my family and I purchased a single-family home that is roughly 5000 sq. ft. spread over three levels. We had the builder pre-wire our home for whole house audio. So we have speaker wire running from 12 locations where speakers have been installed in the ceilings.

We also have CAT5 running from the wall of each location where speakers are installed back to the headend.

Back in 2007, we purchased a Russound CA66 system. It was a six-zone, six-source system with pretty much all analog source capability.

Fast forward to 2013, when we decided to replace the Russound system with a Sonos system. We ended up purchasing seven Sonos Connect-amp units.

We've been very happy with the system overall. We love the ease of use, the ease of set-up, and the numerous digital music sources that are available through Sonos. My wife NEVER used the Russound system but she ALWAYS uses the Sonos system.

Until recently, we hadn't even fathomed the thought of replacing the system. However, a few weeks ago we went to a Parade of Homes open house symposium in our town and came across a model home that was equipped with a Russound MCA-C5 system.

As soon as I saw the system, I had thoughts of switching back to Russound. What I really liked was that the unit had lcd keypads installed in each speaker location for volume control, on-off capability, music selection, etc., and full keypad metadata.

As much as I really love my Sonos system, I find that not having keypads installed at each location to turn the system off and on is a bit annoying and particularly inconvenient-especially because I'm not the type of person who walks around the house with my cell phone in my pocket. (And I felt this way before seeing the keypads installed at the model home.)

Other than that, we are completely satisfied and happy with the system. In fact, I feel in some ways that if I went back to Russound, I would be taking a step or two backwards in terms of technology.

My old Russound system did have keypads but they were antiquated. They were single line, lcd keypads that allowed you to select the source, change the volume, turn the system off and on and equalize the settings. However, there was no metadata capability.

The new Russound keypads provide all the features of the old Russound keypads plus they have metadata capability when used with Russound music sources.

In terms of Russound music sources, Russound also has a DMS 3 .1 music server that provides three separate and distinct sources for digital music and one source for AM/FM music. So the unit is Pandora, XMSIRIUS, Tunein and Vtuner, AM/FM capable. It also has Apple AirPlay. With all that being said, it still doesn't provide as many music sources as Sonos. Nonetheless, we only use Pandora and SIRIUSXM and Tunein, even though Sonos has a lot more sources available.

There are three members of the family who live in the home full-time (me, wife and 7 y.o. daughter who uses the system, plus a son who is away in college. So even though we'd have fewer sources to chose from, I don't suspect we'll have any source sharing issues with the Russound system.

I really miss having the keypads installed at each location and buying iPods and having them in different locations is not my thing so please don't suggest that....

I guess my question is whether switching back to the Russound system would be a couple steps backwards in terms of technology?

Would going from a Sonos 7 zone (soon to be eight if we stay with Sonos), 7 source system to a Russound 8 zone, 4 source system be a bad decision?

The other consideration is that Russound is a dealer installed unit whereas Sonos is a plug and play consumer friendly system.

I know folks buy the Russound systems on eBay but that voids the warranty and I had an issue with my old Russound system where a zone on the amp went bad and Russound refused to repair it.

I don't want to be faced with that situation again so if I decide to go the Russound route, I'd have to pay install and programming fees which tend to add up quickly.

So my final question is would you guys consider switching to Russound or would you simply stay with Sonos?

Here is a link to my current setup:
Get a decent automation system that has a GOOD sonos driver (I have RTI). Then put a panel (or iPad, or Droid if you wanna go cheap and be frustrated) in those location. Then you can do way more than just control music (as you add more automation and integrate more stuff (like alarm, lights,etc)
post #1147 of 1170 Old 11-19-2014, 05:15 PM

I thought about doing something like that (Control4) but it seemed very cost prohibitive. What does your Sonos interface look like with RTI? Does it resemble the Sonos interface or is it something totally different. Would it be possible to take a few pictures of the interface and post them here?? That could be an option that I could add on to over time...
post #1148 of 1170 Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I thought about doing something like that (Control4) but it seemed very cost prohibitive. What does your Sonos interface look like with RTI? Does it resemble the Sonos interface or is it something totally different. Would it be possible to take a few pictures of the interface and post them here?? That could be an option that I could add on to over time...
I use homeseer and this is a screen I created for Sonos. I have DirecTV screens as well, not to mention lights, HVAC, etc.

post #1149 of 1170 Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
(I have HomeSeer too and URC). Attached are screenshots from my current RTI controllers (about to re-design though), (These are from the UI designer so lots of numbers you wouldn't normally see and placeholders for cover art - sky's the limit in terms of design though)

Examples from following controllers :

T2x: http://www.rticorp.com/products/wire...ontroller.html

KX2 (no covert art but newer version coming soon that will support it - KX7 does support it): http://www.rticorp.com/products/wire...ontroller.html

KX2's are very affordable if you can live without cover art (it's just eye-candy after all) and have lasershark compatible hard buttons (comes with about 16 icons)

iOS (Android available too)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T2x-1.png
Views:	39
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	376202   Click image for larger version

Name:	KX2.png
Views:	33
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	376210   Click image for larger version

Name:	iOS.png
Views:	31
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	376218  
post #1150 of 1170 Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sonos connectivity with three existing systems

I have an old house where I cannot run wires behind walls easily.

I have three existing systems-
1. Faulty bedroom 5.1 system for use with TV- may need to replace av receiver
2. Faulty 2 channel system in living room- 15 yr old H/K receiver lost left channel
3. Perfect 7.2 system in basement as home theater

I either have to replace the two channel receiver and the 5.1 receiver OR look into Sonos.

I am looking at Sonos for the kids rooms, the kitchen and maybe even outside.

My problem is that I primarily listen to indie cds not available on streaming services and local news radio- and TV, I listen to a lot of TV on the AV Receivers.

Is there a Sonos product that could take the place of my 2 channel receiver, utilizing the speakers, cd player, turntable I have and connecting into the Sonos system or do the two have to exist separately?
post #1151 of 1170 Old 11-24-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontgd View Post
Is there a Sonos product that could take the place of my 2 channel receiver, utilizing the speakers, cd player, turntable I have and connecting into the Sonos system or do the two have to exist separately?
It would probably make more sense to replace the receiver (for the inputs) and get a Sonos Connect for this area. Otherwise, it would be possible, but not necessarily cost-effective.

B.
dontgd likes this.
post #1152 of 1170 Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Has anyone really messed around with deezer yet? I did last night for a little while testing some tracks they had against my version that I own. I found that my version, (typically aac or higher bitrate mp3) still managed to sound a little better. The low end was more pronounced and fuller, but other than that the top end sounded for the most part identical on the tracks I tested. I was somewhat disappointed in this but the service is still pretty neat. $119/yr I don't know, but I guess I have 30 days to decide huh?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #1153 of 1170 Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontgd View Post
2. Faulty 2 channel system in living room- 15 yr old H/K receiver lost left channel
My problem is that I primarily listen to indie cds not available on streaming services and local news radio- and TV, I listen to a lot of TV on the AV Receivers.
If the receiver has pre-outs and they're OK then you could feed those into a Sonos Connect:Amp.
dontgd likes this.
post #1154 of 1170 Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
If the receiver has pre-outs and they're OK then you could feed those into a Sonos Connect:Amp.

Or tape outputs..

B.
dontgd likes this.
post #1155 of 1170 Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Has anyone really messed around with deezer yet? I did last night for a little while testing some tracks they had against my version that I own. I found that my version, (typically aac or higher bitrate mp3) still managed to sound a little better. The low end was more pronounced and fuller, but other than that the top end sounded for the most part identical on the tracks I tested. I was somewhat disappointed in this but the service is still pretty neat. $119/yr I don't know, but I guess I have 30 days to decide huh?
I've been in the trial period with Deezer for almost a month now and gonna have to decide today. I also subscribe to Rhapsody (eight years) and my hearing isn't great (66 years old) but I like the better sound quality on Deezer piped thru Sonos system or using my iPhone and good headphones. Deezer interface is awkward and creating playlists is really bad compared to Rhapsody. I've got a very fast internet speed which I think is necessary. I'm leaning toward subscribing for a year and try to copy over some playlists from Rhapsody over to Deezer. I've compiled ton's of playlists and fav albums on Rhap that I don't want to loose. But overall I do like the FLAC format while I can still hear the difference.
post #1156 of 1170 Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just picked up a Connect and a Connect Amp so I can start playing with Sonos before I build my new house. I'm very impressed so far by it's ease of use, but it seems a bit restrictive as far as being able to play what I want (no 96khz flac support, can't easily use PC audio to stream, etc).

Right now the thing I would like the most would be to be able to stream whatever audio I want from my Android phone to a Sonos device. Basically I want to do this to get around the limitation of Sonos not supporting SiriusXM On Demand functionality. One solution is to use the line-in on a Sonos unit for a bluetooth receiver, but that isn't ideal since obviously the phone would have to stay close to the receiver. Is there an app that can accomplish this same task? I've dug around a bit, but I haven't found anything yet. I tried an app called AllCast, but it only lets you stream files you select to stream, so that won't work.
post #1157 of 1170 Old 11-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHBurN View Post
Right now the thing I would like the most would be to be able to stream whatever audio I want from my Android phone to a Sonos device.
I thought the Sonos app had something called something like "Play from Here" which would stream from the phone?
post #1158 of 1170 Old 11-29-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I thought the Sonos app had something called something like "Play from Here" which would stream from the phone?
I think you are thinking of "This Mobile Device". It only allows you to play actual files you have stored on your Android. I did see that if you root the phone Macronos lets you stream all audio directly from the phone, like if it was a bluetooth connection. I might have to root the phone, but it's a shame that it seems like that is the only way it's possible.

Is there any other way for me to deal with 24bit/96khz flac files, besides manually converting all of the files? Any sort of program that will automatically transcode the files? That'd be a nice substitute for not having 96khz support.
post #1159 of 1170 Old 11-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHBurN View Post

Is there any other way for me to deal with 24bit/96khz flac files, besides manually converting all of the files? Any sort of program that will automatically transcode the files? That'd be a nice substitute for not having 96khz support.
I use jriver on my pc and their gizmo app on my phone to do this. My Sonos shows up to both as a dlna receiver. Jriver will convert any file to one supported by the Sonos.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #1160 of 1170 Old 11-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post
I use jriver on my pc and their gizmo app on my phone to do this. My Sonos shows up to both as a dlna receiver. Jriver will convert any file to one supported by the Sonos.
Awesome, thanks a lot, I'll check out Jriver.
post #1161 of 1170 Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sonos Play 5

I just purchased a Play 5. I must say I'm extremely satisfied with the ease of use. The product is a 5 out of 5 here. IMO, where it fails is in sound quality (3/5) and app navigation. I find the app to be outdated, and since I use Spotify the majority of the time it doesn't "mirror" Spotify's app as closely as I'd like. The sound quality is OK IMO. It isn't the easiest on the ears. I'm pleased with low-end output, I just wish they would have done a better job on the highs and mids. I'd still recommend this to a friend. I guess since I'm more of an audiophile when it comes to sound I may be more critical on the Play 5 than I need to be.
post #1162 of 1170 Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

It's interesting.

I would recommend you try out the Play 1 -- but a pair of them -- as an alternative. Linear response and good off axis response. (And of course with a pair you will get stereo sound.)

Yes, you'll lose a little bass extension, but if you value dedicated rather than casual background listening, I think you'll be pleased.

(And you can add a subwoofer, if you need to.)

The good thing is that SONOS let's you get a full refund, if you decide either:

1) no, the PLAY3 is preferable (and you return the Play 1's) or
2) you prefer the PLAY 1's and return your recently purchased Play 3.

post #1163 of 1170 Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 PM

So I decided to keep my Sonos system. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and suggestions. I decided to try this solution for my Sonos local room control. It is an iPod in wall mount. I plan to install two other iPods and one iPad mini in my main listening area.

post #1164 of 1170 Old 12-04-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 36
A new version of the Sonos Software is out this morning and it has Multi-User Support for up to 32 Users. I know a lot of people have been waiting for this and they have finally added it!!!
post #1165 of 1170 Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Does that do more than let (for example) two people with different Spotify accounts both use their own account?

Frankly I never really understood why two people in the same household would both pay for separate all you can eat accounts. Even if your tastes differ greatly, is it worth paying double for the ability to only see recommendations based on your own listening habits?

(Maybe I'm just cheap.)

post #1166 of 1170 Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Does that do more than let (for example) two people with different Spotify accounts both use their own account?

Frankly I never really understood why two people in the same household would both pay for separate all you can eat accounts. Even if your tastes differ greatly, is it worth paying double for the ability to only see recommendations based on your own listening habits?

(Maybe I'm just cheap.)
Not all of the services are pay. I use Slacker and Pandora (free versions of both), and presumably my wife and I could each have different accounts so we wouldn't have to dig through each others stations. I haven't tested this yet, but I think that's how it is supposed to work.
post #1167 of 1170 Old 12-04-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point. I gave up on the free services since I hate hearing ads. But yet in that case it completely makes sense -- if it's easy to do, and cleaner than sharing, why not.

post #1168 of 1170 Unread 12-05-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Good point. I gave up on the free services since I hate hearing ads. But yet in that case it completely makes sense -- if it's easy to do, and cleaner than sharing, why not.
Yeah, for us it's not a big deal since we don't have a ton of stations. But I can see where, if you were in a house with kids, for example, you might prefer not to have "Miley Cyrus Radio" cluttering up your stations. Not to say there aren't some adults out there who love Miley...
post #1169 of 1170 Unread Today, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had the Play 3 for a year and a half now and it's brilliant. Wish I'd got rid of CD's sooner. Looking at a Play:1 for the bedroom. Bit pricey at the moment. I can get one via referring a 3 friends. Just need to find two more. If anyone has bought one from Sonos or instore and is in UK and not registered on the site yet, could you say I referred you if I send a link? PM obvs.
post #1170 of 1170 Unread Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about the UK, but anyone on the fence in the US about purchasing (another) device, now is a good time:

Sonos and many retailers are offering about 10% off most devices. I tend to purchase from Crutchfield. The way they are handling it is a (for example) $20 gift card, when you purchase a $200 Play1 (free shipping, no tax collected to most locations).

But even purchases direct from Sonos are being discounted in a similar fashion.

This is pretty rare. Barring an overall price reduction in the New Year, this is probably the best price on most of these items one will see.

I think the deal goes on until the end of Dec, at least. So one can buy a device and use the credit towards a second device (and still get a credit issued on the second device) if one is quick enough.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page