Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1016 Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

The website is now saying the stock at the local stores is gone. I didn't go last week for a few reasons and now I should have. I'll try and go today and see if there are actually any since I'm not sure how accurate those online things are anyway.

Store stock levels are not accurate. I went to 3 different stores, one was showing 2 in stock, they could not find one. A few other stores showed 1, but they couldn't find them either. Then I had my wife call around to a couple more stores and she found one about 50 miles away from the last store I went to. Definitely worth the trouble. BTW, every store I looked at via Best Buy's website said unavailable.

If you want it, start calling around to your local stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1016 Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Hi all - thought I'd repost verbatim a post I put on the Sonos forums (cf http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?p=52261) a while back, just 'cause I still feel like it's true, and there was no forum here on Sonos at the time. I was trying to think about what to say about my love affair with Sonos to add to this thread, and I said to myself, oh yeah, I already said that.

----

Open letter to folks at Sonos:

Thanks.

Sonos is life-transforming in a way that few other products have been for me. Sonos has made more of a difference for me than my iPod(s) ever did. I now listen to music morning to night (at least when I'm at home). I wake to high quality music that fades in, listen to (Pandora) mixes that introduce me to new artists. I purchase more music than I used to as I want to hear more of these new artists' music. My listening room has now moved into the living room, and I now listen "seriously" just as much of the time, but now I listen "semi-seriously" and "ambiently". My parties are better, because I don't fuss with music at the party, I just fuss with it before. I talk about music more; this enables me to make new friends and contacts. I feel more interesting - more like I did when I was 20 and running a show at a college radio station. Music is in my blood in a way that it never could be with just an iPod.

Sure, Sonos could get better, lighter, faster, but it's not going to be a quantum difference in how it's transformed my life. To that degree, I'll buy that the "Product" (at least as I think about it) is "done". It may get a better UI, a lighter controller, a whatever... but the bulk of the difference it'll make to me has already been made. And it was worth the $2K - clearly. Others who are putting off the purchase because of their concern about technology cycles don't really get it yet.

Speaking of marketing... If the opinions cited by some here are indicative of the world at large, Sonos needs to create an in-home trial program or something designed to seed usage with super-users. The "life-transformation" I'm yammering on about does not come from playing with the UI and a song or two in the store (Apple is lucky and highly skilled - you can pick up a Touch or a Nano and "get it" slightly better than you can with a Sonos). But Sonos has done more for me.

Perhaps the microwave, dishwasher, and laundry machine would have fallen in the category of products I would have loved more (had they been invented in my adult lifetime). While I think people always want new and better, and this phenomenon has increased and broadened (average new car held for 5 years now, down from 7 not so long ago, who knows, maybe it'll be 3 someday soon), great brands transform lives. There is also something to be said for a product that doesn't suffer from endless upgraditis. My amplifier feels this way (Creek 5350) - I will not soon try to upgrade. Many do not upgrade their amps for 20 years. Perhaps Sonos is trying to fall into this same category of eternal, timeless, good stuff. I admit that's hard to do with a technology offer, but they may get a chance to slow down the cycle and offer really transformational stuff.

Thanks again.

J
post #93 of 1016 Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 AM

Well, after 3 days of owning Sonos, I picked up another bundle for future use. This one even cheaper than the first. $425 The fact that my wife is on board with my logic, tells me it was the right decision.

I can not stress enough, if you want to pick up one of the BU130's, call your local bestbuy. They may still have one or two left.
post #94 of 1016 Old 12-12-2008, 07:13 AM

I was a DIE HARD Audiotron user and kept it for 4 years and ONLY replaced it when I purchased the Sonos. I love it and do not see anything remotely close to the quality or functionality for the price. Yeah it's expensive but it's definitely worth it.
post #95 of 1016 Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

RCS is right on!

I visited a local store and was told that a bundle was available. When I arrived, the manager was looking around for about 20 minutes as his employees pulled a boxed c100, a boxed z100 and an open box zp100. He wasn't going to let that one go, so he said that there wasn't anything they could do for me since they didn't have the zp80 there. When I suggested that he replace the zp80 with a zp100 and we would call it even on the 10% open box discount (total would've been 500), he began to explain Best Buy's business model and said that it would make more sense for him to send it back to Sonos than to sell it to him. That was after I had waited around for 30 minutes or so...

Rather than thanking him for his complex explanation of how American companies function and letting him know that we missed that lesson in graduate school, I let it go and left it at that (with a few comments as I left his department thanking him for wasting my time)

As I left, I phoned another store 30 minutes away that had a display bundle remaining. This time, I was successful and am now the proud owner of a new bundle (with 2 cradles for free!). I am excited to set this up and am thrilled that I was able to get this bundle for 449.99.

Thanks for the heads up on this great deal

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #96 of 1016 Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Update:

I just finished setting this up and am not really sure why I was nervous about the process. It took less than 1 minute and was extremely easy. I see that they are now discounting the ZP100 at BB for 1/2 price. I may have to swing by on Monday morning to pick one of these up.

1 quick question: How difficult is it to add an external hard drive to this system? Is there one that you guys recommend?

Thanks,
fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #97 of 1016 Old 12-13-2008, 07:25 PM

Fred, if you're going to add an external hard drive and run that as a standalone on your network, you will need an NAS Hard Drive. I think buy.com has some that are reasonable. They are a bit more expensive than the standard external hard drives.

I eventually have to add one myself. For now I am streaming from my laptop, lastfm and Sirius. Good enough for the moment.
post #98 of 1016 Old 12-13-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

2nd Update

I went to another BB this evening because I was told that they had 2 zp100s in stock (one open box and one new). I arrived about an hour before closing and played around in their speaker room which allows you to test various speakers and compare them using a switcher (similar to those in hifi shops), which I thought was nice.

After messing around with the speakers, I proceeded to customer service where my zp100s were waiting for me. When I asked the young lady to get me the sonos zp100s (I was planning on getting just 1), she brought out two zp100s and a new controller. When I told her that I wasn't really interested in the controller, she told me that they were going to give it to me for free!

Rather than asking for 10% off on the open zp100, I paid for both zp 100s (250.00 a pc) and left with all 3 boxes. What an evening

I now have a 4 zone Sonos setup (3 powered and 1 passive) with 2 controllers and don't have a clue how I am going to let my old lady know that we need to buy a lot of speakers

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #99 of 1016 Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 AM

Man my BB's don't have the cradles in stock. Fred you're a lucky man.
post #100 of 1016 Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Fred,

Adding an NAS will allow you to listen to your personal library without a PC running, and it is as easy to install as plugging in an ethernet cable, copying your files, and then reassigning the share directory to the NAS.

I personally own the following:

Buffalo LinkStation Live LS-CHL - NAS - 500 GB

It is silent (some are noisy), reliable, fairly inexpensive and a snap to set up.
post #101 of 1016 Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred DeGrandis View Post

2nd Update

I went to another BB this evening because I was told that they had 2 zp100s in stock (one open box and one new). I arrived about an hour before closing and played around in their speaker room which allows you to test various speakers and compare them using a switcher (similar to those in hifi shops), which I thought was nice.

After messing around with the speakers, I proceeded to customer service where my zp100s were waiting for me. When I asked the young lady to get me the sonos zp100s (I was planning on getting just 1), she brought out two zp100s and a new controller. When I told her that I wasn't really interested in the controller, she told me that they were going to give it to me for free!

Rather than asking for 10% off on the open zp100, I paid for both zp 100s (250.00 a pc) and left with all 3 boxes. What an evening

I now have a 4 zone Sonos setup (3 powered and 1 passive) with 2 controllers and don't have a clue how I am going to let my old lady know that we need to buy a lot of speakers

Wow, nice deal. Congrats
post #102 of 1016 Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! I will look into the Buffalo NAS and will probably have some additional questions. On another note, how do I add an additional controller to my setup?

Thanks again,
Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #103 of 1016 Old 12-14-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind... That was quite easy as well

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #104 of 1016 Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All sold out in my area. Guy at the Magnolia desk said somebody had swept the entire area and none of the stores had them.
post #105 of 1016 Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 AM

Don't give up so easily... did they check the computer while you were there?
Also, if you're in northern VA, you still have Maryland that you can check.

Maybe give the main office a call and see if they have any there.
post #106 of 1016 Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have time, call the Best Buy's in your area to see if they have any Sonos products in stock. The first place said that they had the bundle in and I asked them to hold it for me. The second place I went said that they had 2 ZP100s in stock and then suddenly found the controller that the decided to sell it to me for a penny. I suppose their rationale was to sell me a bundle @ 500.00, even though they didn't have a bundle to sell

Also, I know it's a pain, but ask the lady to run to the back to check with the home theater guys (currently, the volume of customers often prohibits the customer service folks to transfer the phone back to this department).

If this doesn't work, I did see a few people selling bundles they probably picked up from BB on a popular auction site (I am not one of these people) with a 40% profit margin. It's lame that they do this, although it beats paying list.

Good luck,
Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #107 of 1016 Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 PM

Fred I have a 250GB+250GB NAS for sale cheap
post #108 of 1016 Old 12-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Are there any other retailers that have the BU130 bundle, ZP100 or ZP80 on clearance like Bestbuy does? I've been to 5 Bestbuys with no luck.
post #109 of 1016 Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post

Are there any other retailers that have the BU130 bundle, ZP100 or ZP80 on clearance like Bestbuy does? I've been to 5 Bestbuys with no luck.

I have not seen any and it does confuse me a little. If Sonos is clearing out inventory why don't others have a discount. Even if it's not as much as BB, I could see people buying them at $250-300. While not as good that would still be a good deal.
post #110 of 1016 Old 12-23-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:

I have not seen any and it does confuse me a little. If Sonos is clearing out inventory why don't others have a discount. Even if it's not as much as BB, I could see people buying them at $250-300. While not as good that would still be a good deal.

Maybe there ain't that much inventory of the old kit left.

I guess companies like BB had a significant stock of the old kit. I guess thats up to them how they dispose of it. There are probably folks out there who would prefer the older units because of things like line out on the ZP100 and you might be able to charge full price for this kit for a while. I guess at some point the older stock starts to lose some value and thats when they start to discount it but I also reckon the big retailers had some notice of the new models and have been running stocks down for a while.
post #111 of 1016 Old 12-24-2008, 01:30 PM
alv
Advanced Member

I'm a new owner and couldn't be happier. I got a Cullen modded unit and Pandora sounds quite good. I haven't reburned uncompressed CD's to test them yet.
post #112 of 1016 Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Found a display kit (80, 100, and Controller) at a local Best Buy for $450. Ended up buying an extended warranty from them for 40 bucks that will cover any damage in the future. Felt like this was a no brainer, since they will have to replace the "broken" units with the updated models. Surprised this was still around based on some of the above experiences. Hooking up now (and hitting a couple other BB's tomorrow)
post #113 of 1016 Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Good deal. I did notice BB had the ZP120 and bundle on sale, but alas they weren't discounting the ZP90s. With the iPhone/Pod acting as a controller I don't have a need for the bundle, and I felt the 120 was overkill.
post #114 of 1016 Old 01-29-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Good deal. I did notice BB had the ZP120 and bundle on sale.

Do you think the bu120 bundle is still available or will BB get more?
post #115 of 1016 Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM

Guys,

I have been looking all over, trying to find a solution that works.

I have a DroboShare and Sonos and can't select the drobo as the source for music files. I am using a Mac

I have tried; NETWORKNAME.local/drobo, ip address, drobo/iTunes and anything else I can find in different forums.

Can someone here (Who has actually connected the two) tell me a definitive way to make it work.

What do I put in for the file location? Can all music files be in a folder or do they have to be the root position?

Thank you very much in advance for you help!
post #116 of 1016 Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpinghand View Post

Guys,

I have been looking all over, trying to find a solution that works.

I have a DroboShare and Sonos and can't select the drobo as the source for music files. I am using a Mac

I have tried; NETWORKNAME.local/drobo, ip address, drobo/iTunes and anything else I can find in different forums.

Can someone here (Who has actually connected the two) tell me a definitive way to make it work.

What do I put in for the file location? Can all music files be in a folder or do they have to be the root position?

Thank you very much in advance for you help!

Might check the sonos forums for a specific answer.
post #117 of 1016 Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM

So, I'm the happy owner of 4 ZPs, 2 controllers and 3 cradles. I have 2 ZP80s (bought from a long ago bundle), 1 ZP90 and 1 ZP120.

The most recent 2 zones and 1 controller were bought via the newer bundle gear (ZP120, ZP90, and CR100).

But after reading this thread, I have to check out my local Best Buys and see if I can pick up an older ZP100. I"d like to add a zone to the bathroom

So, far Living Room (ZP90), Den (ZP80), Kitchen (ZP120), and Master Bedroom (ZP80). I have 3 cradles, but only 2 CR100s. I found that this arrangement works fine. My house is small and only one story. But another zone for the bathroom would be nice. I'd get a pair of small indoor/outdoor speakers for that room that would handle the humidity.

The most expensive part of the whole "system" for me was the speakers

I LOVE my system. I hardly watch TV anymore. I much prefer music. Between RadioTime via the Sonos, Rhapsody, Pandora, and my own Flac library (homed on a Netgear NAS box), I'm always having a musical time It doesn't get any better.

Cheers,
--jans
post #118 of 1016 Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 AM

I don't really feel the need for a controller if I were to pick up a bundle. If I were to do so would anybody be interested in getting an additional controller ~1/2 off?
post #119 of 1016 Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Just started adding Sonos to my house. I love it. Pandora is awesome. Really like the way it picks other music based on the band you choose...

Have one ZP80, a ZP100's on the way. Was reading that more than 4 zones you want to change the distribution from lossless to a lossy format. Is this true? Is this with more than 4 zones running simultaneously or even if the other zones are not active? Or are they always active???

If you daisychained or connected two bridges to your network, would you have improved performance?

Most of my music is ripped mp3, is there a huge difference between mp3 and a lossless format? Was thinking of using FLAC...

One last question, is it possible to connect to a streaming library, where you pick the particular music? Wolfgang's Vault is live shows from Bill Graham and King Biscuit and there's a ton of great shows. The Sonos forum connected to the Sonos website said there really was not a way yet. I was wondering if anyone had figured out a way here...
post #120 of 1016 Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblopes View Post

Was reading that more than 4 zones you want to change the distribution from lossless to a lossy format. Is this true? Is this with more than 4 zones running simultaneously or even if the other zones are not active? Or are they always active???

first I heard about that. but I don't think there is any truth to it... I have 8 zones, and I just use flac... no issues, it just works...

Quote:

If you daisychained or connected two bridges to your network, would you have improved performance?

not sure, I have no bridges, and my performance is just fine, I tell music to play, and it plays, not sure what any additional performance would get me? play faster maybe?

Quote:

Most of my music is ripped mp3, is there a huge difference between mp3 and a lossless format? Was thinking of using FLAC...

yes, if your system/speakers are good enough... no if they aren't... ie I only have one zone where it matters...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page