Official SONOS owners thread - Page 43 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1262 Old Today, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Can anyone suggest a good volume control for in wall? I have a new build and ceiling speakers run to the VLC box then to the connect amps in the basement.
If you have a dedicated Connect:Amp for each room (i.e. no cases where 2 or more rooms are being powered by the same Connect:Amp) then the simplest and most effective option is an old iPad running the Sonos app in a wall-mounted dock wherever you want one. Having the ability to control not only the volume but also the audio content being played in each zone, from that zone's wall-mounted control is a nice feature. Plus, no additional wiring is required beyond power for keeping the iPad charged.

This also avoids some of the pitfalls of mixing and matching in-app and external volume controls as you have 100% control of the volume from any device with a Sonos app. For example, with a "dumb" wall-mounted control, if somebody has turned the volume all the way down at the wall control, no amount of turning it up within the app will do anything. Likewise, if somebody has turned the volume all the way down in the app then no amount of turning it up at the wall control will do anything. When you use a single control method (whether that be the in-app controls or an external control), you can predict how loud your speakers will play with the volume slider/knob set at a particular position. Once you start mixing multiple methods of controlling the volume, you don't know how loud the music will play without adjusting it by ear from that listening position, because you have no way of knowing what position the other volume control is set at unless you are fiddling with both at the same time.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; Today at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1262 Old Today, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks. I appreciate the dual control aspect but I have 4 runs and 3 amps. All have volume control drops as per the installer. I just need a good recommendation on what controllers to get? I don't plan on really using most of them but I do plan on splitting the deck with the family room speakers and using the control to effectively silence one set as needed.

Any good iPad mounts? I have two mini retinas I purchased so I can mount one upstairs and one in the basement.

Thanks for the reply!

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page