Official SONOS owners thread - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1291 of 1305 Old 07-16-2015, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Theater Room View Post
Did anyone else get an advertisement email for a Sonos Play:1 Limited Edition? The advertisement says it will only be available for sale on the Sonos site, and at a price of $250.

Does anyone know anymore about this product, and what features or improved performance it is supposed to have that carries the premium price?

thanks,
I believe it's just a cosmetic change, there's no performance or feature upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1305 Old 07-16-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Theater Room View Post
Did anyone else get an advertisement email for a Sonos Play:1 Limited Edition? The advertisement says it will only be available for sale on the Sonos site, and at a price of $250.

Does anyone know anymore about this product, and what features or improved performance it is supposed to have that carries the premium price?

thanks,
I had to dig around as well, it is just color and that is it / just like they did with the limited edition blue one. In this case it is more black and more white.

Whatever generates the buzz I guess.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1293 of 1305 Old 07-17-2015, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I had to dig around as well, it is just color and that is it / just like they did with the limited edition blue one. In this case it is more black and more white.

Whatever generates the buzz I guess.
Well, that is disappointing. I was expecting that with statements such as "Play:1 Tone" and "Built by Music Lovers for Music Lovers" that perhaps there might be an upgrade in sound quality. It seems odd to charge $50 more just for a subtle cosmetic change.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV, Two Sonos Play:1s
post #1294 of 1305 Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
I want an HRA digital-out only / wired ethernet only Connect.

To forestall comments, yes, so that my bats and dogs can enjoy my Beethoven and Def Leppard.
post #1295 of 1305 Old 07-17-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
There needs to be a service where someone can view your entire library, and go find any/all flac or lossless files they possibly can to replace your older mp3 or low bitrate files....That would be nice.
Headphones.
post #1296 of 1305 Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
^^^^ Um what?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #1297 of 1305 Old 07-18-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
^^^^ Um what?
Headphones is a program that you can use to help automate music downloads of whatever quality you specify. So, for example, you enter a list of albums that you want, and specify that you want FLAC copies, and it will automatically download them once they are available.

I haven't actually used it, but I believe that it can scan your entire music directory and import a list of the albums you currently have, and then use a single action to request flac replacements for anything that you don't have in that format already.
post #1298 of 1305 Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Beach House Sonos Rig over Powerline Ethernet Success

I'm one of those major Sonos fans for all the reasons stated ad nauseum in this forum. I'm fully vested in a (5) AMP, (1) Connect and (2) Play5 WHA suite, with the WAF and KUF (kid usability factor) a major mark of success.

So I had an opportunity to bring the Sonos goodness to an uncle of mine out in NH a few weeks ago in time and as a surprise for his massive 4th of July party on Great East Lake – we are in CA so logistics were a challenge. The site scenario was a bit of a challenge too. We wanted to have an AMP with outdoor speakers at his small beach house at the water’s edge. And have a Connect for the main kitchen / family room. The challenge was the distance and terrain between the main house and boat house. I have to report that the full package we installed was a huge success. We had the lake-front rocking with patriotic tunes time synced to the hundreds 0f massive fireworks mortar rounds launched from the end of the boat dock. Rather than try to add so many words, I’ve attached our plan and as-builts in pictures for your peeks.

While Sonos does not claim support over powerline Ethernet connections, I’m pleased to report that the setup we established at the boat house, a distance of ~350ft from the main house, worked like a champ. Not only was the Sonos Amp on that network leg, but so was a general purpose WiFi AP. At one point we had over 10 folks drinking morning coffee, surfing the morning news and sports on various tablets, notebooks and smartphones, while the AMP was blaring out tunes streamed from Pandora and the local Synology NAS music library located at the house. All good and a very happy uncle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Tunes Goals Low.png
Views:	37
Size:	949.8 KB
ID:	842578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Tunes Viewshed.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	842586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Tunes Beach View Low.png
Views:	42
Size:	743.7 KB
ID:	842602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Tunes Boat House Mods Low.png
Views:	39
Size:	740.7 KB
ID:	842610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Tunes Sonos.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	792.8 KB
ID:	842618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Tunes Parts List.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	842626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Tunes Design.png
Views:	31
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	842698  

DrCee

Last edited by DrCee; 07-22-2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Wrong Design File
post #1299 of 1305 Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM
1C5

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently moved into a new house and have in ceiling speakers basically in every major room.

I added one Sonos Connect for my great room and love it/use it all the time. It is connected to my receiver to power it.

I am now looking to add 3 more Sonos Connects for other various rooms.

My question is: should I be looking at buying 3 Connect Amps at $599 each or buying 3 Connects at $399 each and finding a way to power them? Ie, Can I get some kind of Amp that can power 3 or more Sonos Connects for less than the $600 difference in cost? Which route should I be looking at going. Is there any downside to have an external Amp instead of the Connect Amp? (I amin Canada, thus the more $$ prices)

And for future, I will probably be adding another 2 more Connects or Connect Amps to complete the house.

Thanks for the help.

So in summary, my choices are probaby:

Get Something like this: AudioSource AMP 1200 12-Channel Audio Distribution Amplifier along with the Connects

or skip the Audiosource Amp and get Sonos Connect Amps instead.
post #1300 of 1305 Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post
Can I get some kind of Amp that can power 3 or more Sonos Connects for less than the $600 difference in cost?
They make zone amps for this sort of thing. Like the Parasound Zonemaster (but that's expensive) or the Dayton Audio MA1240a.

At least, that's how I understand it.

On the other hand, I don't see why any mult-channel amp wouldn't work.

I made the mistake of buying an amp that only has one set of inputs and 3 sets of outputs. That was the wrong choice when I split a zone into two zones.
post #1301 of 1305 Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Hmmm... Bit of a tough call. The Connect:Amp is not a very high-powered unit but if you do not have multi-zone capability and don't need it loud is not a bad approach. I am not sure how it will handle long cable runs, and of course the one area SONOS is notoriously weak on is specs (probably for good reason). You can buy inexpensive pro amps with similar or more power for from $150 to $300 USD or so from places like Sweetwater Sound (or others, I have just used Sweetwater a lot over the years). A two-channel pro amp can easily drive a pair or four speakers per channel so should provide two rooms per stereo amp. I am not that familiar with AudioSource unit but that also looks like a contender, although it is relatively low power per channel (40 W into 8 ohms). It does provide a simple one-box solution, and there are probably similar units out there.

External amps take more space and will burn more energy, although decent class-D pro amps may not be any more than the CONNECT:AMP and/or provide much more power.

My inclination would be the CONNECTs and a rack of external amps so if an amp dies you just replace that and not the whole (more expensive) CONNECT:AMP. That also gives you a bit more flexibility in amplifier and source choice as you expand. But, a multizone amp is a lot less space and arguably easier to set up. They also usually incorporate trigger and auto-on/off features pro amps will usually not provide.

There are other systems designed for whole-house audio with built-in speakers, like the Control4 system, that you could also consider. That's another can of worms, however.

HTH - Don

Edit: Note the AudioSource 1200 appears to be the same as the Dayton Audio MA1240a but the Dayton is about $100 less from Amazon or Parts Express. Or you can get the Dayton 1260 for 60 W/ch instead of 40 W/ch for the same price (~$600 USD). Might be worth a look if you go that route.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; Yesterday at 09:44 AM.
post #1302 of 1305 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
They also usually incorporate trigger and auto-on/off features pro amps will usually not provide.
Sonos don't provide a trigger output, darn them, but auto on/off would be good from the conservation POV.
post #1303 of 1305 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Sorry, did not mean to imply SONOS has trigger I/O, or auto-anything (they do turn off the amps after a while but AFAIK you can't set it anywhere). That was in reference to multizone amps.

I also wish they would add an input to the smaller models. In one room I could have used a pair of Play 1's or a 3 but went to the Play 5 to get the input for the kids' iPods.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1304 of 1305 Unread Today, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post
I just recently moved into a new house and have in ceiling speakers basically in every major room.

I added one Sonos Connect for my great room and love it/use it all the time. It is connected to my receiver to power it.

I am now looking to add 3 more Sonos Connects for other various rooms.

My question is: should I be looking at buying 3 Connect Amps at $599 each or buying 3 Connects at $399 each and finding a way to power them? Ie, Can I get some kind of Amp that can power 3 or more Sonos Connects for less than the $600 difference in cost? Which route should I be looking at going. Is there any downside to have an external Amp instead of the Connect Amp? (I amin Canada, thus the more $$ prices)

And for future, I will probably be adding another 2 more Connects or Connect Amps to complete the house.

Thanks for the help.

So in summary, my choices are probaby:

Get Something like this: AudioSource AMP 1200 12-Channel Audio Distribution Amplifier along with the Connects

or skip the Audiosource Amp and get Sonos Connect Amps instead.
just get sonos amps. finding a multi-zone mulit input amp WITH control via an app or volume controls in every room (lots of wiring) isn't gonna be cheap. for the former, you'll likely need a home automation system. So unless you think you're gonna play everything at a fixed volume level, forget separate amps. (Cheapest way would be cheap AVRs with multi-zone, but you'd still be looking at multip apps/remotes to control it.

I'm an RTI dealer and can buy multi-zone amps and switches cheaply fro personal use and i have the control system and i still uses sonos amps for everywhere except home theater room, which is driven by AVR

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #1305 of 1305 Unread Today, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
just get sonos amps. finding a multi-zone mulit input amp WITH control via an app or volume controls in every room (lots of wiring) isn't gonna be cheap.
I think I'm misunderstanding something. The Sonos:Connect does the volume control and the Sonos App has provided all the controls I've needed.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page