Official SONOS owners thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1321 of 1323 Unread Today, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yep, skipping seems to be a sign that there are connection problems (getting to the source) and the buffer seems to be able to cover perhaps 20 seconds of a lost stream. I'm guessing a dozen years ago, when the hardware was designed, that was pretty robust. These days, with RAM so cheap, it sure feels like buffering 5 minutes or more would be plausible.

I've often fretted about the power draw (I've got seven devices total) but it is what it is....though again one might surmise that current tech and design principals could do better, and get that idle draw down further.
Yeah, it's kind of surprising to be perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong. Sonos works really, really well overall, but it seems that they haven't made too many advances in the many years they've been around. I'm bummed they've ditched the physical keypads too. I really liked those a lot.

You're right. The buffer and power draws were totally acceptable, and even good for the time they initially came out, but for being the year 2015, they should EASILY be able to buffer as much as they want to, and they should EASILY have a true standby mode that could at least get them down to the 2 watt range. 5 watts seems a bit steep for a device that's not even doing anything but waiting for a command to start playing something.

Hopefully they make a substantial update soon as $350-500 is a bit steep for such outdated tech. Again, don't get me wrong. It's a great product overall, and I do like them a lot, BUT perhaps their overwhelming success may caused their development team to get a bit too relaxed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1323 Unread Today, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Yeah, it's kind of surprising to be perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong. Sonos works really, really well overall, but it seems that they haven't made too many advances in the many years they've been around. I'm bummed they've ditched the physical keypads too. I really liked those a lot.

You're right. The buffer and power draws were totally acceptable, and even good for the time they initially came out, but for being the year 2015, they should EASILY be able to buffer as much as they want to, and they should EASILY have a true standby mode that could at least get them down to the 2 watt range. 5 watts seems a bit steep for a device that's not even doing anything but waiting for a command to start playing something.

Hopefully they make a substantial update soon as $350-500 is a bit steep for such outdated tech. Again, don't get me wrong. It's a great product overall, and I do like them a lot, BUT perhaps their overwhelming success may caused their development team to get a bit too relaxed.
Remember, when a device is not doing anything, it is still maintaining the mesh network, indexing your library, etc., in addition to waiting for a command.

While not cutting edge hardware wise, for all models, some of the limitations are acceptable and understandable to me: They place a premium of backwards compatibility, stability and usability. The first of those is VERY important to me. I've been burned too many times by having tech that still functions become landfill just because the manufacturer has decided to abandon earlier hardware. I realize that in some ways, maintaining compatibility has probably held Sonos back (e.g., the library size limits, the 44.1kz limit) but I find that to be acceptable versus the alternative of obsoleting my investment.

And I think the modest upgrades to the usability of the control apps, allowing wifi access, and commendable speed with which new online services are added all point to keeping things useful and relevant for me.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #1323 of 1323 Unread Today, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 120
^^Very true. Great points.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page