Official SONOS owners thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #1411 of 1435 Old 12-23-2015, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
IMO, using Dolby Pro Logic to upmix 2.0 to 5.1 is only an acceptable option when the content itself only includes a stereo soundtrack. Settling for downmixed and then upmixed audio is not a trade off I would accept. With that said, there are ways to get DD 5.1 from multiple devices to a Playbar. The first thing I would do is verify whether or not his TV can pass DD 5.1 from an external device connected to one of its HDMI inputs thru the TV's optical audio output. Most Sony, Toshiba, and Vizio TV's have been capable of this for years. I believe that some of the newer Samsung's can do it as well. If it works then problem solved. If not then you still have a few options...

1) If all of your source devices have an optical/coaxial audio output then an optical/coaxial switch box (e.g. 4 in, 1 out) could be used to provide an easy way of switching between the audio sources. The only downside is that you would need to select your audio and video sources individually. This can be simplified if the switch box can be controlled via IR and you use a good universal remote that can send commands to both the TV and the switch box to change sources with the press of a single button.

2) If you have any source devices that do not have an optical/coaxial audio output (e.g. the new AppleTV) then you would need an HDMI audio extractor in addition to or in place of the optical/coaxial switch box. The tricky part here is that you will need to verify that the HDMI audio extractor supports whatever video formats (resolution, frame rate, bit depth, etc.) your source device outputs. If the source device is limited to 1080p and lower resolutions then just about any HDMI audio extractor will do. But if it does 4K/UHD (particularly 4Kp60 or HDR) then your options are very limited as not many (if any) HDMI audio extractors support passthru of this type of video.

Given that your friend only really listens to stereo or multichannel audio from TV programming and AppleTV, DD 5.1 is likely the most advanced audio format he uses. Therefore, I think a Playbar, sub, and two Play 1's would be a workable solution for him. Personally, I would go with an AVR that supports DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD with at least a 5.1 speaker setup and get a Connect to integrate Sonos into the system. But, most of my movie watching is via. disc (Blu-Ray or DVD, which includes HD audio or at least DTS, neither of which Sonos supports). I even listen to multichannel music (Pure Audio Blu-Ray or SACD) at times. If he's not using formats that Sonos doesn't support then he should be fine.

That is a kick ass answer, pretty much says it all, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1435 Old 12-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksas View Post
Hello, newbie to Sonos system here..really enjoying my new Play 1's and Connect so far, and the app is great, anyways...

My question though is related to a friends house...he thinking about going the Playbar / Sub route and maybe 2 Play 1's as rear surrounds for the living room. It would do duty for TV, movies and music. TV is Xfinity cable, movies mainly streamed through Apple TV (get 2 or 3), and as for music he has a Play 5 in the kitchen already but wants to expand to the living room where he has a 70" LCD but no sound system yet.
Now i understand the issues with the 1 Toslink input on the Playbar and TV sound possibly outputting only 2.0 stereo, but i wanted to get peoples opinions that may have this set up already and how they like it. Is the dolby pro logic surround 'good enough' for movies?
Considering the price all in, about $1,800 (Playbar, Sub, 2 Play 1's), i could recommend a decent 5.1 system and a new 4k receiver for that price, but he would still have to buy a Connect or another Play speaker for that room for music.
Any impressions, comments, pros cons of this set up are appreciated, thanks.
I also strongly suggest an AVR Solution HOWEVER the one thing that Sonos does offer that others don't is that it is Wireless and their wireless is unlike any others out there (that I've seen / heard so far).

The Playbar does a very, very good job at 5.1 (true not simulated) and the addition of the sub does make it a really impressive setup. The biggest problem is getting the proper source to the Playbar as most TVs did not and maybe still don't pass out more than stereo from their optical port.

We've also talked about how Sonos does not support DTS this when it came out made sense but now it doesn't and i can't imagine anyone buying one that ever plans on using a Blu Ray player. Even one that will only output 5.1 had issues with certain movies like no sound at all or only certain tracks.

The one other thing that I miss more than anything was the ability to pipe the sound from my TV throughout the rest of my sonos devices.

I imagine that Sonos will eventually wake up and pay the licensing fee for DTS and add it to the Playbar and if they do they will have a winner as it was so simple and very impressive in a 5.1 setup.

Personally I went with an AVR Setup (as mentioned in my signature) after fighting with the playbar setup and DTS it just didn't make sense anymore. But for some people that don't want to run wires everywhere it still might make sense with some hope that DTS will be supported at some point.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1413 of 1435 Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Quote:
Considering the price all in, about $1,800 (Playbar, Sub, 2 Play 1's), i could recommend a decent 5.1 system and a new 4k receiver for that price, but he would still have to buy a Connect or another Play speaker for that room for music.
That's a lot of clams! Taking the Connect out of the pricing still leaves $1,400. You can get something like the Tannoy TFX (600-ish) and a very good AVR like the original Cambridge Audio 551R (500-700) and still have some cash left over for music or videos.

But, then, wires.
post #1414 of 1435 Old 12-24-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I also strongly suggest an AVR Solution HOWEVER the one thing that Sonos does offer that others don't is that it is Wireless and their wireless is unlike any others out there (that I've seen / heard so far).

The Playbar does a very, very good job at 5.1 (true not simulated) and the addition of the sub does make it a really impressive setup. The biggest problem is getting the proper source to the Playbar as most TVs did not and maybe still don't pass out more than stereo from their optical port.

We've also talked about how Sonos does not support DTS this when it came out made sense but now it doesn't and i can't imagine anyone buying one that ever plans on using a Blu Ray player. Even one that will only output 5.1 had issues with certain movies like no sound at all or only certain tracks.

The one other thing that I miss more than anything was the ability to pipe the sound from my TV throughout the rest of my sonos devices.

I imagine that Sonos will eventually wake up and pay the licensing fee for DTS and add it to the Playbar and if they do they will have a winner as it was so simple and very impressive in a 5.1 setup.

Personally I went with an AVR Setup (as mentioned in my signature) after fighting with the playbar setup and DTS it just didn't make sense anymore. But for some people that don't want to run wires everywhere it still might make sense with some hope that DTS will be supported at some point.

I am not sure that they will ever do that. My TV does not support sending out anything other than stereo via the Toslink so I have an HDMI switch between my blu-ray and my Tv and playbar. The trick is just to have your Bluray player perform the decoding of all audio streams and just send Pcm to you playbar. That way it does not matter what the soundtrack is. I have this setup in one area in my basement and it seems to work quite well.

- Scott Home theater: Triad Silver/4 LCR, LS, RS; Triad Silver/4 Surround LRS, RRS; Denon X4000; Emotiva XPA-7; Oppo BDP-103; TiVo Roamio Plus; Apple TV; Amazon Fire TV; Sony HW55ES; 120 inch screenStudy: Onkyo NR-717; Klipsch RF-7 II LF, RF; Klipsch RC-64 II C; RF-82 LS, RS; TiVo HD Premium; Samsung LED 40 inch
post #1415 of 1435 Old 12-24-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjinatl View Post
I am not sure that they will ever do that. My TV does not support sending out anything other than stereo via the Toslink so I have an HDMI switch between my blu-ray and my Tv and playbar. The trick is just to have your Bluray player perform the decoding of all audio streams and just send Pcm to you playbar. That way it does not matter what the soundtrack is. I have this setup in one area in my basement and it seems to work quite well.
Optical cables and ports don't have the bandwidth to carry 5.1 channel PCM. They can only carry up to 2 channel PCM or lossy compressed multichannel audio (Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital EX 6.1, DTS 5.1, or DTS ES 6.1). So, if you're using a Playbar and have set your source device (e.g. Blu-Ray/DVD player, cable/satellite set top box, streaming device, or TV) to decode the audio and output PCM then your Playbar is only receiving 2 discrete channels (stereo) of audio, which it is then upmixing to surround sound. If you want true discrete multichannel surround sound, you should set your source devices to Auto/Dolby Digital and always select the core Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

If Sonos ever releases an updated Playbar that has an HDMI input then you could set your source devices to decode and pass up to 8 channel PCM, which would eliminate the need for any codec licensing and get you bit perfect audio. It still won't get you Atmos or DTS-X object-based audio, but I don't see Sonos ever going to the trouble of allowing you to pair enough wireless speakers to make it worthwhile anyways.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 12-24-2015 at 07:33 AM.
post #1416 of 1435 Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I already have a couple of sonos connect and amps on my wired network. I am thinking about getting a few more and was considering an older zp80. Since they will not be using the wireless sonosnet, is there any down side of using the older model?
post #1417 of 1435 Old 12-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
I already have a couple of sonos connect and amps on my wired network. I am thinking about getting a few more and was considering an older zp80. Since they will not be using the wireless sonosnet, is there any down side of using the older model?
What do you mean you won't be using the Sonosnet? The older ZP80 has to use the Sonosnet and can't use Wifi. I guess the other alternative it to have them all hardwired in that case it wouldn't matter.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1418 of 1435 Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Doesn't the Sonos:Connect has RCA IN which could be selected as source? If so wouldn't it be possible to send the TV audio to this RCA input and then stream it to other Sonos devices.

I am not sure that Sonos will support DTS anytime soon. I think that most people that care about Hone Theater already has an AVR receiver that supports the formats they need.

/Milo
post #1419 of 1435 Old 12-26-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
Quote:
What do you mean you won't be using the Sonosnet? The older ZP80 has to use the Sonosnet and can't use Wifi. I guess the other alternative it to have them all hardwired in that case it wouldn't matter.
Sorry if that wasn't clear - regardless of which sonos device I get, it would be connected to my network via ethernet, therefore, the wireless protocol it comes with (wifi or sonosnet) would be irrelevant to me. So based on not needing that, is there any other downside to using a ZP80 vs ZP90? Thanks
post #1420 of 1435 Old 12-26-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lund Milo View Post
Doesn't the Sonos:Connect has RCA IN which could be selected as source? If so wouldn't it be possible to send the TV audio to this RCA input and then stream it to other Sonos devices.
The lag in that situation I found unbearable. Having the dialogue show up a few dozens of milliseconds really makes it unusable.
post #1421 of 1435 Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 AM

If a Sonos speaker (newest gen) is setup wirelessly on the home network, then is alternatively is hardwired (ethernet) to the router, will the speakers then use their own mesh network automatically or will you have to go through the setup process again or change something in the settings?

Thanks
post #1422 of 1435 Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If a Sonos speaker (newest gen) is setup wirelessly on the home network, then is alternatively is hardwired (ethernet) to the router, will the speakers then use their own mesh network automatically or will you have to go through the setup process again or change something in the settings?

Thanks
I think I've done that multiple times and I don't recall having to redo the setup.
post #1423 of 1435 Old 01-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks
No you won't have to run the setup again, just keep in mind that depending on your network if you have more than one Sonos Device Wired you can run in to some issues. This usually occurs when you have more than one Switch and end up with a broadcast storm (been there / done that). If you have a pretty simple network you shouldn't have much of an issue but if you have a switch that is managed make sure that STP (Spanning Tree) is turned on which will prevent network loops from occurring.

post #1424 of 1435 Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No you won't have to run the setup again, just keep in mind that depending on your network if you have more than one Sonos Device Wired you can run in to some issues. This usually occurs when you have more than one Switch and end up with a broadcast storm (been there / done that). If you have a pretty simple network you shouldn't have much of an issue but if you have a switch that is managed make sure that STP (Spanning Tree) is turned on which will prevent network loops from occurring.

Your comment intrigued me -- I have multiple Sonos devices connected via hardwire Ethernet, and some on different switches. So far, everything has been working fine. But is there a reason why having multiple devices hardwired is a bad practice? Should I have just one device connected, and rely on Sonosnet (or whatever it's called) to connect the devices? BTW, all of my devices are earlier generation (ZP80's, ZP100's, and Connect:Amps). Thanks!
post #1425 of 1435 Old 01-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Wood View Post
Your comment intrigued me -- I have multiple Sonos devices connected via hardwire Ethernet, and some on different switches. So far, everything has been working fine. But is there a reason why having multiple devices hardwired is a bad practice? Should I have just one device connected, and rely on Sonosnet (or whatever it's called) to connect the devices? BTW, all of my devices are earlier generation (ZP80's, ZP100's, and Connect:Amps). Thanks!
No having multiple hardwired devices is fine any a lot of people do it. I was just pointing out that it can cause issues in certain network configurations. I have 6 switches in my network and ran in to issues when I connected more than one but that was due to Spanning-Tree Not working properly. Trust me you would know if you have an issue your network will crash withing seconds of plugging in more than one Sonos Device to a wired connection. If that doesn't happen you will be good to go. I personally prefer wired connections for anything / everything that I can wire.

post #1426 of 1435 Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for intel, funhouse69. I also try to hardwire everything I can, which leads me to have 4 separate switches on my network, one where my cable drop is and one at each TV and/or computer location. If I have a switch near my Sonos, it gets hardwired. As to network problems, ignorance is bliss so far!
post #1427 of 1435 Old 01-07-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Gents, I am a pretty die-hard Sonos Playbar supporter from their mission to execution and terribly satisfied and have the whole 5.1 setup with sub. At the same time I knew there would eventually be a serious competitor coming this space of an elegant wireless sound system with home theater capabilities. The individuals clamoring for DTS have been tough to overcome but I know this will not change due to the limits of the Toslink Optical Connection.

Looks like Philips is entering the field with an HDMI ready system that might include DTS capabilities and maybe some other features that Sonos can also provide. 2016 is getting interesting! I haven't made a full investigation but here are the details:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/file...e6_12_pss_.pdf

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...g=EN&ctn=E6/12
post #1428 of 1435 Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Optical cables and ports don't have the bandwidth to carry 5.1 channel PCM. They can only carry up to 2 channel PCM or lossy compressed multichannel audio (Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital EX 6.1, DTS 5.1, or DTS ES 6.1). So, if you're using a Playbar and have set your source device (e.g. Blu-Ray/DVD player, cable/satellite set top box, streaming device, or TV) to decode the audio and output PCM then your Playbar is only receiving 2 discrete channels (stereo) of audio, which it is then upmixing to surround sound. If you want true discrete multichannel surround sound, you should set your source devices to Auto/Dolby Digital and always select the core Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

If Sonos ever releases an updated Playbar that has an HDMI input then you could set your source devices to decode and pass up to 8 channel PCM, which would eliminate the need for any codec licensing and get you bit perfect audio. It still won't get you Atmos or DTS-X object-based audio, but I don't see Sonos ever going to the trouble of allowing you to pair enough wireless speakers to make it worthwhile anyways.

Interesting - never realized that this interface was limited like that. I guess I had incorrectly assumed since optical was being used that there would be no such arbitrary limitation like that. I am guessing that it is limited due to the fact that you can also use copper based cables or perhaps just an artifact of the Toslink interface spec. In any case you are right regarding that limitation so my workaround won't do any good. Looks like either they support the DTS stuff or we have to stick to lossy multichannel audio.

- Scott Home theater: Triad Silver/4 LCR, LS, RS; Triad Silver/4 Surround LRS, RRS; Denon X4000; Emotiva XPA-7; Oppo BDP-103; TiVo Roamio Plus; Apple TV; Amazon Fire TV; Sony HW55ES; 120 inch screenStudy: Onkyo NR-717; Klipsch RF-7 II LF, RF; Klipsch RC-64 II C; RF-82 LS, RS; TiVo HD Premium; Samsung LED 40 inch
post #1429 of 1435 Old 02-03-2016, 08:11 AM

Anyone use and external DAC with their Sonos Connect? Or perhaps a good external DAC in between the Connect and AVR?
post #1430 of 1435 Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I send optical to my avr and analog to my whole home amp.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #1431 of 1435 Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 184
I send one unit to a dedicated Emotiva DAC that essentially re-clocks the whole signal and removes jitter. I send another unit to a AVR (nothing fancy, a five year old Yamaha). I do not find that the AVR is any less good than the dedicated DAC.

Either one is a step up from using the analog output on the Emotiva. The analog output is fine for casual listening. I feed it to some outdoor speakers.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Looking to buy more Triad speakers. Got some to sell? Hit me up.
post #1432 of 1435 Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Anyone else that uses the iphone app been having problems lately getting your app to find your system at home? It has seemed to me that it only started after my last update, and i have to close the sonos app and re-open it several times before it will find my system properly.... Just wondering if I am all alone here
post #1433 of 1435 Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 184
worked fine for me last night. i have my apps update automatically so i assume i have the latest iOS version.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Looking to buy more Triad speakers. Got some to sell? Hit me up.
post #1434 of 1435 Old Today, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the sound degraded when adding 2 Play 1's as rears in a 5.1 setup with playbar and sub via wifi in Lieu of Ethernet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven
post #1435 of 1435 Old Today, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevies3 View Post
Is the sound degraded when adding 2 Play 1's as rears in a 5.1 setup with playbar and sub via wifi in Lieu of Ethernet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No - Not at all the Sonos Wireless is top notch. I suppose there could be instances where there could / would be issues if you have some kind of interference that prevents the wireless signal but you aren't loosing any kind of bandwidth if that is what you are asking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music
Gear in this thread