Official SONOS owners thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #1471 of 1494 Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontil.../#65c9140c7bbd

This will be interesting if Sonos can work with Amazon Echo
SimpleTheater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1494 Old 04-22-2016, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
There is still no way to have Sonos auto generate a playlist based on a song selection, correct? How do people get around this?
I just discovered you can use the "cast" feature to send music to Sonos from inside the Google Play Music app (this worked even when I didn't have Google Play Music set up as a service on my Sonos). So one way would be to pick a song, and then hit "start radio" based on that song in Google Play Music, which essentially plays a playlist based on that song. Then cast to your Sonos and it will play that radio station.

Not perfect but it works.
post #1473 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying my first Sonos product and need some guidance. Here is the application: We had 2 outdoor speakers installed with our new deck (Boston Acoustic Voyager 50s). Right now these are driven by the zone 2 amp in my home theater AVR (an old Yamaha RX-V650). This old AVR has zero network/streaming ability. To listen to music on the patio we connect an iPod or iPhone to it. Problem is, whenever we want to change the song or volume someone has to go in the house to do it. Would much rather do it from a smart phone from the deck. Research led me to Sonos products. Here is my question, which option do I go with:

1) Buy a Connect:amp and drive the speakers with that. Pros: I can control the volume remotely since the amp is integrated. Cons: Extra $150, can't listen to the Sonos in the home theater (no line out on the connect:amp).

2) Buy a Connect and run it through zone 2 of my AVR (like I do with the iPod now). Pros: Save $150, can listen to the Sonos in my home theater since it is a source on the AVR. Cons: Not sure if I can control volume from a smart phone (wouldn't I need to run in the house and turn the AVR volume knob?).

Thanks for any advice,
Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player
Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
URC MX-780 remote control
post #1474 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
2) Buy a Connect and run it through zone 2 of my AVR (like I do with the iPod now). Pros: Save $150, can listen to the Sonos in my home theater since it is a source on the AVR. Cons: Not sure if I can control volume from a smart phone (wouldn't I need to run in the house and turn the AVR volume knob?).
The Connect can be configured for either fixed volume or variable. In variable mode, the volume may be controlled on a smartphone or tablet via a slider in the app or the physical buttons on the device.
post #1475 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying my first Sonos product and need some guidance. Here is the application: We had 2 outdoor speakers installed with our new deck (Boston Acoustic Voyager 50s). Right now these are driven by the zone 2 amp in my home theater AVR (an old Yamaha RX-V650). This old AVR has zero network/streaming ability. To listen to music on the patio we connect an iPod or iPhone to it. Problem is, whenever we want to change the song or volume someone has to go in the house to do it. Would much rather do it from a smart phone from the deck. Research led me to Sonos products. Here is my question, which option do I go with:

1) Buy a Connect:amp and drive the speakers with that. Pros: I can control the volume remotely since the amp is integrated. Cons: Extra $150, can't listen to the Sonos in the home theater (no line out on the connect:amp).

Thanks for any advice,
Sooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcousineau View Post
The Connect can be configured for either fixed volume or variable. In variable mode, the volume may be controlled on a smartphone or tablet via a slider in the app or the physical buttons on the device.
Right, option two meets your needs.

But here I am going to go heretical in the Sonos thread. I have seven Sonos devices in my house and I love them.

But if I was doing just one zone, I might not choose Sonos. Sure it still works great and is easy, so you are not making a mistake with Sonos. But these days, for a single zone like you are talking about, there are lots of other options that MIGHT make sense.

I would strongly look at a $35 google chromecast music edition to plug into my receiver in a situation like yours (though I am not sure about volume control of the chromecast, nor what your preferred music sources are, so you'd want to check on whether it would be a good fit for you).

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #1476 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Right, option two meets your needs.

But here I am going to go heretical in the Sonos thread. I have seven Sonos devices in my house and I love them.

But if I was doing just one zone, I might not choose Sonos. Sure it still works great and is easy, so you are not making a mistake with Sonos. But these days, for a single zone like you are talking about, there are lots of other options that MIGHT make sense.

I would strongly look at a $35 google chromecast music edition to plug into my receiver in a situation like yours (though I am not sure about volume control of the chromecast, nor what your preferred music sources are, so you'd want to check on whether it would be a good fit for you).

You took the words the right of my mouth, a $35 Chromecast Audio should do the trick, using the 3.5mm stereo cable into aux on the AVR, or 3.5mm stereo Y cable into any analog inputs on your AVR.

If Sonos is the first choice for you then I would stick with the Connect over the Connect Amp, and yes you can choose to use the variable volume control on an iDevice.
post #1477 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I decided to go with the Sonos Connect. Although, that Chromecast Audio is mighty cheap at 1/10 the price. But I'm only buying one. What matters most to me is a simple interface since the wife and kids will be using it. It is hard for me to predict which product would be simpler. I like the idea of having one app that controls all the music sources and the controller. The Sonos seems simple. With the chromecast, each music source has its own app (I think), and as long as the app can cast to the chromecast you are all set. I can see advantages to both. But according to this review: http://www.cnet.com/products/chromecast-audio/ iTunes is not supported from iPhone or iPad with chromecast. That is basically the whole families' music source. As for sound quality, I expect the Sonos has a better DAC, or at least it should for the price.

Anyhow, I have a 2 week return period to evaluate how we like Sonos. I did find it as an open box special which knocked $50 of the price. So it was only 9 times the cost of the chromecast.

Really love all the radio stations I can stream, that is really cool (yes, I know, I'm behind the times). One nit pick, wish I could turn it off. It seems to have a really high standby power. Even when not streaming the box is hot.

Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
post #1478 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Good choice, the Sonos app is fantastic and easy to use, the family should be happy. I felt the same way about it always being on but one thing you can do in the settings menu is turn the white power light off so it at least 'appears' to be off, at least psychologically.
post #1479 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! That was a big success. My wife loves the Sonos. We had dinner on the deck (steaks made on the grill). While eating I put the app on her iPhone and handed it back. After a minute or two figuring out the navigation she was streaming a Celtic radio station, then a Bollywood radio station (family likes Bollywood), then queuing up songs she has stored on her phone. She was giggling like a teenager.

It was a good evening.
nathan_h and SimpleTheater like this.

Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
post #1480 of 1494 Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent. Yep it is a friendly device. I love them.

post #1481 of 1494 Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Hoo boy, I can see this is a slippery slope. Now I'm thinking of adding a play1 to use as a sort of portable speaker (den, bathroom, kitchen, wherever). This is how it starts, isn't it? Fortunately I think their speakers are more reasonably priced than the connect.

Question for the experts: Is there a way to have favorites grouped by user? Sure everyone's favs can populate the "Sonos Favorites" but then that gets crowded fast with 5 family members. Wish I could make a "Dad's Favorites" and a "Mom's favorites" etc. Since the strength of Sonos is multi-room and whole house applications I am surprised that I could not find a way to do this. Similarly under the TuneIn source there is "My Radio Stations" and "My Radio Shows". It makes no sense to use the word "My" on a system for multiple users. I should be able to rename it "Dad's Radio Stations" and then create another called "Mom's Radio Stations", etc. Am I missing something? It looks like it will handle multiple music service accounts, but I haven't had to try that yet.

Thanks.

Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
post #1482 of 1494 Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Hoo boy, I can see this is a slippery slope. Now I'm thinking of adding a play1 to use as a sort of portable speaker (den, bathroom, kitchen, wherever). This is how it starts, isn't it? Fortunately I think their speakers are more reasonably priced than the connect.

Question for the experts: Is there a way to have favorites grouped by user? Sure everyone's favs can populate the "Sonos Favorites" but then that gets crowded fast with 5 family members. Wish I could make a "Dad's Favorites" and a "Mom's favorites" etc. Since the strength of Sonos is multi-room and whole house applications I am surprised that I could not find a way to do this. Similarly under the TuneIn source there is "My Radio Stations" and "My Radio Shows". It makes no sense to use the word "My" on a system for multiple users. I should be able to rename it "Dad's Radio Stations" and then create another called "Mom's Radio Stations", etc. Am I missing something? It looks like it will handle multiple music service accounts, but I haven't had to try that yet.

Thanks.
Yup its like Crack, they work, they work well and you want to add more and more and more zones / rooms. Been there / done that. I am a single user but I believe that they add multi-user support in an update a while back.

Actually check that, you can add multiple accounts for services, I don't believe you can have multiple users yet. This has been very high on a lot of peoples wish lists.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1483 of 1494 Old 06-02-2016, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks.
One thing I can't figure out is how to play all or shuffle the Sonos Favorites (as it's own playlist).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #1484 of 1494 Old 06-02-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks.
Welcome to the Borg, umm, fold!

I just create multiple Sonos playlists and view the Sonos favorites as everyone's vote on what's best out of their individual playlists. Can't offer any advice on the radio stations.
sooke likes this.
post #1485 of 1494 Old 06-12-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wall mounting Play:1 - Flexson or Vogels or…?

I'm using Sonos for a Home Theatre set-up using Play:1 units. (See also the note I'm about to post about the Tone units.) Does anyone have a view on what the best wall mounting brackets are to be close to the wall and essentially invisible? I won't need to touch them once they're in place. It looks like it's between Flexion and Vogels. Anything else? Thanks!
post #1486 of 1494 Old 06-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjohnson View Post
I'm using Sonos for a Home Theatre set-up using Play:1 units. (See also the note I'm about to post about the Tone units.) Does anyone have a view on what the best wall mounting brackets are to be close to the wall and essentially invisible? I won't need to touch them once they're in place. It looks like it's between Flexion and Vogels. Anything else? Thanks!
I have the Flexson Play:1 mount. It works ok but I think it's overpriced. Also the set screw they gave me was the wrong size - seems to be a common problem if you look at the reviews for the mount. I don't know anything about the Vogels mount, but from the pictures it seems like it would stick out from the wall a bit more than the Flexson.
alexjohnson likes this.
post #1487 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Screened porch: Sonos vs other wireless options?

So...just finished a new screened porch and need music. Nothing fancy, it's strictly casual listening out there. Will use streaming services exclusively as source, mainly Amazon Prime, Slacker, maybe Spotify. Original plans had been to use a Sonos Connect Amp and run cables to ceiling speakers, something like Goldenear Invisas. Unfortunately, idiot contractors closed in the ceiling before running the cables, and due to crazy joist design, pulling them now would be a huge PITA.

So I'm thinking of just going with a wireless system. Given the budget, I was considering something like a pair of Play 5's, or maybe even Play 3's to save some $$. Is there a better option? Play 1's and Sonos Sub? What about other products--Denon HEOS? Polk Play-Fi? Though we already have sonos in the house so a single app to control them all probably wins over ultimate sound quality. So: best Sonos config for about $1K?

And any issues with outdoor location? It will be dry, but exposed to significant temperature variations (it's Atlanta).

Last edited by clinresga; 07-13-2016 at 09:39 AM.
post #1488 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
So...just finished a new screened porch and need music. Nothing fancy, it's strictly casual listening out there. Will use streaming services exclusively as source, mainly Amazon Prime, Slacker, maybe Spotify. Original plans had been to use a Sonos Connect Amp and run cables to ceiling speakers, something like Goldenear Invisas. Unfortunately, idiot contractors closed in the ceiling before running the cables, and due to crazy joist design, pulling them now would be a huge PITA.

So I'm thinking of just going with a wireless system. Given the budget, I was considering something like a pair of Play 5's, or maybe even Play 3's to save some $$. Is there a better option? Play 1's and Sonos Sub? What about other products--Denon HEOS? Polk Play-Fi? Though we already have sonos in the house so a single app to control them all probably wins over ultimate sound quality. So: best Sonos config for about $1K?

And any issues with outdoor location? It will be dry, but exposed to significant temperature variations (it's Atlanta).
Only the Play1's are designed for humidity. A few of those would be great, imo, in a covered porch. Since you already have some SONOS in the house, I wouldn't consider adding a different wireless setup.

post #1489 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a couple sonos play 1's in other locations but worried they'd be overwhelmed in the outdoor environment. But, say I got 4 Sonos 1's. Could I configure them with two as left channel and two as right? Maybe create two locations each with a stereo pair and then group them?
post #1490 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a couple sonos play 1's in other locations but worried they'd be overwhelmed in the outdoor environment. But, say I got 4 Sonos 1's. Could I configure them with two as left channel and two as right? Maybe create two locations each with a stereo pair and then group them?
The alternative is bring the play 5 outside only when yo uneed it. IT's not that heavy. And you could do what I need to do is keep a play 5 in the kitchen and move it to the outdoors as needed. But that's just what I do until the new deck goes in to put the outdoor speakers in place. Depends on how annoying that is and how often you need it outside.

Of course i Love the play 5 and the 1 is great but not great.

Panasonic P65S1
Onkyo TX-SR607
DefTech Mythos One Fronts
DefTech Mythos Three Center
DefTech BP1.2X Surrounds
PS3 Blu-Ray
post #1491 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
You could make two stereo pairs and then group them. But for $800 for 4 Play:1s, you might consider getting a Connect:Amp and outdoor speakers.
post #1492 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Since you already have some Play 1's, you have a perfect situation for a test. Walk them outside, set them up, and crank them up. They may surprise you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
You could make two stereo pairs and then group them. But for $800 for 4 Play:1s, you might consider getting a Connect:Amp and outdoor speakers.
And if the Play 1 experiment doesn't work, this idea of using real outdoor speakers and a Connect:AMP is not bad at all.

post #1493 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I personally wouldn't try to bundle them like this.

And while it may be heresy, I find MONO is better outdoors unless I know where I am going to always sit. It's much better at giving a good experience across a larger area, imo.

So even if I had two play 1 speakers outdoors, I'd run them in mono.

In fact, I have five mono speakers in my yard......

post #1494 of 1494 Old 07-13-2016, 06:40 PM

I was actually pretty underwhelmed by 1 Play:1 outside, even though my expectations were not very high. 4 would be better, but probably not if you're going to buy them all.

I did the Connect:Amp and PSB CS500s outside instead, and this combo is really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page