Official SONOS owners thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
post #1501 of 1514 Unread 07-28-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojohnso View Post
I got a chuckle out of this as people who don't do research like you probably won't come across your post.
Very good point. It'd be much easier to find the limitations in the spec sheet than to see it buried among hundreds of posts on a third party discussion board.

Quote:

The 5's do allow you to hook up an AUX connection that doesn't require you to sync to a wireless system. Perhaps you don't want to be tethered, but maybe that could work for you while you figure things out?

- Tom
That's true. And while not as user friendly as being build it, one could add a blue tooth dongle to that Aux-in jack for under $50 if one wanted to.

Full disclosure: I did that for a while but found it sounded better and was more reliable to just plug in hard wired.

-----

Color commentary: For any system with a SINGLE speaker or zone, I don't think SONOS is the easiest or best or most cost effective solution any longer.

I still think it's at the top of the heap for a whole house system with multiple zones though the competition is not too bad these days (Denon's systems, Yamaha's system, etc).

But for a single zone, single speaker, I wouldn't recommend SONOS.

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1514 Unread 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
But for a single zone, single speaker, I wouldn't recommend SONOS.
I agree but what has a better UI?
post #1503 of 1514 Unread 07-28-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I agree but what has a better UI?
That's in the eye of the beholder, but for a single zone, the UI is likely whatever your phone or tablet provides, for the music source you plan to use.

For example, if you get something like the RIVA TURBO X RTX01B, I believe you can stream any audio you have on your phone (stored there, or streamed there) and the interface for finding selecting controlling the music is whatever app you are using for that.

If one is still using an old fashion music server, then whatever app you use to access that (for example, Plex) is you interface.

---

That said, I agree with what your comment implies, which is that the SONOS interface is pretty darn good! But I don't think it's so good that it justifies getting SONOS for a single zone any longer.

That said, getting SONOS for a single zone is not a BAD idea. It's just no longer the only choice, and arguably not the best choice for everyone, especially if Bluetooth streaming, a battery, and portability are top priorities.

post #1504 of 1514 Unread 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Has anybody had success setting up their Sonos with an Amazon Echo? There are a few items on GitHub, but the instructions don't sound straight forward, even though the outcome looks great.
I just recently got Sonos and Echo to be friends. It took an evening to get it to all work since I wanted Echo and my Insteon Keypads to control Sonos. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that I wanted to use jishi’s “node-sonos-http-api” since with this I get a list of all my Sonos devices and playlists by name instead of having to rely on IPs or IDs. It requires an always on computer which I gave the task to my NAS.

My setup consist of the following:

* Synology NAS running a docker container with this image that uses node-sonos-http-api
* ISY994i controller with ISY Portal and Networking module
* Insteon Keypads
* Amazon Echo

Using my ISY and networking module I created a list of play/pause/shuffle commands to send to the sones-api server end point.

Once done I logged into the ISY portal and create a list of spoken words that I can say to Alexa that will then invoke the ISY programs I created.

Conclusion: Seamless integration. Now I can control Sonos using any of my keypads in the couple of rooms that I have them in plus Alexa will queue up any playlist and play in any room that I instruct her to.

Last edited by Greg Haynes; 07-28-2016 at 07:47 PM.
post #1505 of 1514 Unread 07-28-2016, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Haynes View Post
I just recently got Sonos and Echo to be friends. It took an evening to get it to all work since I wanted Echo and my Insteon Keypads to control Sonos. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that I wanted to use jishi’s “node-sonos-http-api” since with this I get a list of all my Sonos devices and playlists by name instead of having to rely on IPs or IDs. It requires an always on computer which I gave the task to my NAS.

My setup consist of the following:

* Synology NAS running a docker container with this image that uses node-sonos-http-api

* ISY994i controller with ISY Portal and Networking module

* Insteon Keypads

* Amazon Echo

Using my ISY and networking module I created a list of play/pause/shuffle commands to send to the sones-api server end point.

Once done I logged into the ISY portal and create a list of spoken words that I can say to Alexa that will then invoke the ISY programs I created.

Conclusion: Seamless integration. Now I can control Sonos using any of my keypads in the couple of rooms that I have them in plus Alexa will queue up any playlist and play in any room that I instruct her to.

Thanks for the input. Link didn't seem to work so I Googled it. I had done some research and came across the following. One guy had developed a solution and essentially pointed to this saying he didn't update his any longer. Had you tried this and settled on the solution you posted?

https://github.com/rgraciano/echo-sonos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1506 of 1514 Unread 08-01-2016, 06:44 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Has anyone messed around with the new plex capability on the Sonos system yet? I have mirrored my music library to the plex system, but I don't see much need for it when I actually organize my playlists and whatnot via itunes.
post #1507 of 1514 Unread 08-01-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Has anyone messed around with the new plex capability on the Sonos system yet? I have mirrored my music library to the plex system, but I don't see much need for it when I actually organize my playlists and whatnot via itunes.
Works well. I only really need it for stuff that is higher rez than 44.1/16bit. Plex will transcode it to something that Sonos can play. Plex will also find meta data like an artist photo for tracks that are missing such, which is kinda nice.

post #1508 of 1514 Unread 08-01-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I have Plex and Sonos as well and when I saw the announcement I thought Wow Cool but when I really thought about it I was thinking why? If I already have access to my entire music library then why "Duplicate it" with Plex.

I do see the transcoding as a nice bonus but for me that isn't much of an issue. The only bonus is if I would bring my Sonos to another location or others could have access to my library through plex remotely?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1509 of 1514 Unread 08-01-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I have Plex and Sonos as well and when I saw the announcement I thought Wow Cool but when I really thought about it I was thinking why? If I already have access to my entire music library then why "Duplicate it" with Plex.

I do see the transcoding as a nice bonus but for me that isn't much of an issue. The only bonus is if I would bring my Sonos to another location or others could have access to my library through plex remotely?
Plex does have a feature to make your library available remotely. I haven't used it yet. I think the basic version of this functionality is free.

post #1510 of 1514 Unread 08-01-2016, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Plex does have a feature to make your library available remotely. I haven't used it yet. I think the basic version of this functionality is free.
One of the best features of Plex is to have your Libraries Available outside of your home. You don't need to have anything more than the basic install. You do get some additional features if you have a Plex Pass Account (like remembering what you've watched / where you left off) for all of your users.

I can only assume that this applies to Plex on Sonos as well.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1511 of 1514 Unread 08-08-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it was mentioned before but a new feature appeared in one of the recent updates: Chromecasting.

My wife pointed out on her Android phone that in the Google music app, in addition to being able to "cast" music to our Chromecast, she could also select one or more of the Sonos speakers in the house.

Very useful for "I was listening to this on my headphones and now want to play it on the speakers" situations, etc.

(And perhaps a demonstration that the Spotify app not working with Sonos directly is more a Spotify choice than a Sonos limitation...)

post #1512 of 1514 Unread 08-09-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

My favorite use of Plex on SONOS is to play my "Recently Added" albums. I really wish SONOS had that in Music Library, but now we have it with Plex.
post #1513 of 1514 Unread 08-31-2016, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Official SONOS owners thread

Found this buried in all of yesterday's Spotify news!

Quote:
Sonos has also announced a partnership with Amazon, specifically the company's Alexa voice assistant. Sonos users will soon be able to control their speakers using any Amazon voice-controlled device, such as an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot or the Fire TV. This is set to launch in beta at the end of the year for a full release in 2017.

Last edited by Superman07; 08-31-2016 at 08:00 AM.
post #1514 of 1514 Unread 09-05-2016, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I've been using both Sonos and Chromecast Audio for the last couple months. I had Sonos zones set up first, then later added CCAs to rooms where I don't care about mult-room playback (master bedroom and office). I also use a CCA at work, as our WIFI is a separate network from our workstations.

Although CCA is convenient and cheap, Sonos is a much more robust system. I often get "can not play back the requested track" errors on CCA and have to attempt to play the track several times before it will catch. Also, I often find my phone loses its connection to the CCA. For example, if I am casting Google Music to the CCA, the Google Music app on my phone will stop updating what's playing, I then have to go in to the Google Cast app, stop casting, and then go back in to Google Music and re-cast if I want to play something else. And sometimes this takes several attempts as well. It is really annoying. With Sonos, I can just fire up the Sonos app and it shows me what is playing on each zone, and I can easily stop or change the music, and I can do this from any device - phone, tablet, or Surface.

Sonos isn't perfect - I sometimes get unresponsive zones - but it is far more reliable to me than Chromecast Audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music
Gear in this thread