Official SONOS owners thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1651 of 1670 Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yep. I think I'm going with Deezer for a year at 9.99 It clearly sounds much better than Spotify when streamed through my connect to my high end system. Weird thing is; Spotify sounds MUCH better through my Desktop Windows PC than Deezer. That's my only complaint. I have "HTML 5 player" and "high quality" both checked but the sound is flat, treble and bass seem muted. Spotify sounds excellent through same PC..

I emailed Deezer about the issue and they didn't know what to say about that other than explain that the streaming rate through a browser would be limited to 320kpbs which is MP3. But how come Spotify streaming at the same rate sounds so much better through the same desktop browser?

Also, Has anyone had any luck getting Deezer to extend the $120/year (9.99 mo) past the 1st year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1670 Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have been using Deezer for over a year and have no complaints about sound quality or streaming reliability. I evaluated Tidal early on, but had some issues with the stream being dropped. Those issues may have long since been resolved--I don't know.

I occasionally notice holes in the catalogue, and use Apple Music to fill in the missing content. In general, the Deezer catalogue is pretty good.

Interesting you would find audio differences between the two streams. Since the audio is digital FLAC, one would expect identical sound quality.

Thanks for the input on this. Just now getting into the streaming and really didn't know that much about Deezer
post #1653 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sonos released a new product the Playbase. Essentially a platform with built in speakers for a tv to sit on.

Only support optical and Dolby. No HDMI or DTS.

If you weren't in the market for a Playbar, chances are this is not for you.

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/playbase.html

Personally disappointed it doesn't support HDMI or DTS. Doesn't give me hope in a refreshed Playbar other than cosmetics.

post #1654 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Sonos released a new product the Playbase. Essentially a platform with built in speakers for a tv to sit on.

Only support optical and Dolby. No HDMI or DTS.

If you weren't in the market for a Playbar, chances are this is not for you.

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/playbase.html

Personally disappointed it doesn't support HDMI or DTS. Doesn't give me hope in a refreshed Playbar other than cosmetics.
Even more ridiculous is Sonos' reasoning for leaving out DTS...might be time to jump ship and check out something like the Bose SoundTouch or Sony's next soundbar, both of which support DTS.

"For home entertainment, DTS content is only found on physical media such as DVD, Blu-ray and Laserdisc – no video streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu support DTS. Sonos is focused on modern listeners who predominantly stream and because most physical discs encode DTS at bitrates substantially similar to Dolby Digital, we have decided to not support DTS on PLAYBASE as we don’t believe it offers a better listening experience for the majority of owners."
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #1655 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is RCA or COAX desirable if my sources are all streaming going from SONOS Connect to OSD 12 Channel Amp? Currently using RCA but was wondering if there was a noticeable difference if I use the COAX if my sources are 100% streaming?

Thanks for the great thread with all the great info
post #1656 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:

"For home entertainment, DTS content is only found on physical media such as DVD, Blu-ray and Laserdisc – no video streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu support DTS.
That's true.

Quote:
Sonos is focused on modern listeners who predominantly stream
That's a fair choice. Seems silly to limit your market that way BUT maybe it is true. People that use physical media seeking the highest quality might not be interested in a sound bar???? Other companies making sound bars disagree and are actually putting Atmos into sound bars.....

Quote:
and because most physical discs encode DTS at bitrates substantially similar to Dolby Digital
(big buzzer sound) Wrong.

Quote:
we have decided to not support DTS on PLAYBASE as we don’t believe it offers a better listening experience for the majority of owners."
Well, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Cripple the quality and then say you do that because your customers don't care..... but in point of fact, if someone DID care, they wouldn't be your customer because you don't give them what they care about.

---

Anyway, I don't doubt that Sonos has run the numbers and believe they are leaving little money on the table. And the fact that they have released something that is essentially like what they already have in the marketplace indicates to me they are happy with their market share and don't see a need to capture more of the market (and don't believe all the competition that has emerged in recent years is any threat).

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #1657 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 03:33 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6966 Post(s)
Liked: 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWigglerSpot View Post
Is RCA or COAX desirable if my sources are all streaming going from SONOS Connect to OSD 12 Channel Amp? Currently using RCA but was wondering if there was a noticeable difference if I use the COAX if my sources are 100% streaming?

Thanks for the great thread with all the great info
Well, RCA is analog and coax is digital. Since your amp is likely analog, a coax connection will not work. Typically, coax would connect to an AVR with a DAC. I don't know if you are using an AVR as well, but if you are, the DAC in the AVR is likely to be better than the DAC in the Connect, which is mediocre at best. IOW, you would get better sound quality through the AVR.
post #1658 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
That's true.

That's a fair choice. Seems silly to limit your market that way BUT maybe it is true. People that use physical media seeking the highest quality might not be interested in a sound bar???? Other companies making sound bars disagree and are actually putting Atmos into sound bars.....

(big buzzer sound) Wrong.

Well, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Cripple the quality and then say you do that because your customers don't care..... but in point of fact, if someone DID care, they wouldn't be your customer because you don't give them what they care about.

---

Anyway, I don't doubt that Sonos has run the numbers and believe they are leaving little money on the table. And the fact that they have released something that is essentially like what they already have in the marketplace indicates to me they are happy with their market share and don't see a need to capture more of the market (and don't believe all the competition that has emerged in recent years is any threat).

I agree with most of this minus the self fullfilling prophecy part as I have never experienced any discernable difference between Dolby and DTS but that's my anecdotal take with a sample size of one. HDMI/HDCP is a nightmare that has lost whatever battle it was trying to fight but at least I understand the initial purpose even while disagreeing with future viability.

USB C for the however temporary win.

Jgiddyup
post #1659 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 PM

I can see it from both sides. I do wonder how many technical hurdles they'd have to address by including HDMI. It is an extra component you have to cram into already tight quarters. Plus they aren't looking to be an AV receiver. You would think DTS would be at least something they support. I wonder how much a comparable product costs with HDMI and more audio codecs.

I do think they have competition though. We have four Sonos products, but I toy with the idea of getting a Bluesound product since it supports lossless. If they offer a compelling enough reason, and money isn't an issue, then I probably wouldn't hesitate to get one. Does that mean I'd dump Sonos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1660 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 08:10 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I can see it from both sides. I do wonder how many technical hurdles they'd have to address by including HDMI. It is an extra component you have to cram into already tight quarters. Plus they aren't looking to be an AV receiver. You would think DTS would be at least something they support. I wonder how much a comparable product costs with HDMI and more audio codecs.

I do think they have competition though. We have four Sonos products, but I toy with the idea of getting a Bluesound product since it supports lossless. If they offer a compelling enough reason, and money isn't an issue, then I probably wouldn't hesitate to get one. Does that mean I'd dump Sonos?

Do you mean Hi-Res instead of lossless? Sonos supports lossless, e.g Tidal, Deezer, and lossless audio files from a NAS. IMO, any subtle audio improvements attributable to Hi-Res would be lost with the rather small and modest speakers in this class of audio equipment.

I reported several weeks ago about purchasing a modification to the Sonos Connect from Wyred4Sound, which provides a noticeable audio improvement when using lossless audio. If you want an improvement and want to keep your Sonos products, this might be something you should look at.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upg...nnect-modified

Last edited by AustinJerry; 03-07-2017 at 08:19 PM.
post #1661 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sonos doesn't support lossless formats for video sound. Neither DTS-MA, DOLBY TRUE-HD, nor multi channel linear PCM.

Quote:

Quote:
Do you mean Hi-Res instead of lossless? Sonos supports lossless, e.g Tidal, Deezer, and lossless audio files from a NAS. IMO, any subtle audio improvements attributable to Hi-Res would be lost with the rather small and modest speakers in this class of audio equipment.

I reported several weeks ago about purchasing a modification to the Sonos Connect from Wyred4Sound, which provides a noticeable audio improvement when using lossless audio. If you want an improvement and want to keep your Sonos products, this might be something you should look at.

post #1662 of 1670 Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Sonos doesn't support lossless formats for video sound. Neither DTS-MA, DOLBY TRUE-HD, nor multi channel linear PCM.
Yes, you are correct. But it does support lossless audio formats. Either you should have been more clear in your original post, or I should have read your post more closely. I don't use Sonos for video sound, so it never crossed my mind. Does Bluesound support lossless video sound?
post #1663 of 1670 Old 03-08-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. But it does support lossless audio formats. Either you should have been more clear in your original post, or I should have read your post more closely. I don't use Sonos for video sound, so it never crossed my mind. Does Bluesound support lossless video sound?

I'm not familiar enough with their products. Any yes, I meant Hi-Res. I'm already pushing lossless FLAC files through my Sonos at its max supported bit rate.
post #1664 of 1670 Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Superman responded to Jgiddyup'a response to my post where I had quoted Sonos' own statements about not supporting lossless video sound on the Playbase.

post #1665 of 1670 Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Well, RCA is analog and coax is digital. Since your amp is likely analog, a coax connection will not work. Typically, coax would connect to an AVR with a DAC. I don't know if you are using an AVR as well, but if you are, the DAC in the AVR is likely to be better than the DAC in the Connect, which is mediocre at best. IOW, you would get better sound quality through the AVR.
Perfect. Thanks for clarifying I really appreciate it!
post #1666 of 1670 Old 03-10-2017, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

How do you think MQA would compare to Lossless using the wyred4sound Sonos upgrade?
I am using a Ifi spdif ipurifier Reclocker with great results.

Samsung UN55H6350 LED TV/ Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Bookshelfs/ SVS PB1000 Subwoofer/ Roku 4/ Sonos Connect / iFi SPDIF iPurifier
post #1667 of 1670 Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
How do you think MQA would compare to Lossless using the wyred4sound Sonos upgrade?
I am using a Ifi spdif ipurifier Reclocker with great results.
Sorry, no experience with MQA. I am using the Wyred4Sound Remedy reclocker in addition to the Connect mod, and it sounds pretty good.
post #1668 of 1670 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is a "up to your ears and priorities" type question, but hoping to get outside of my own head here...

I'm a long time Sonos fan (Play 1s throughout the house) with an AVR/traditional home theater and Sonos Connect. I have a true 5.1 set-up with a Sony STR-DH710, a 10' Sony sub and some hefty Sony bookshelf speakers (bought about a decade ago). It can crank out crazy volume (definitely more than I need) and has always sounded great to me. I used to watch a lot of physical media (including Blu-rays) but not so much these days (mostly streaming and TV). I use a Tivo, Xbox One, Apple TV and Roku.

I live in a small apartment (living room is about 15x20) and am starting to think this set-up is overkill and the dream of getting a house where this will live as a dedicated HT is dwindling. The big speakers (especially the L/R large bookshelfs and big center hanging over the TV) and wires are an eyesore, and it's a little inconvenient to have to turn on the receiver and control the volume with the remote whenever I want to use the Sonos Connect.

I worked for Sonos a few years ago and heard a prototype of the Playbase and remember being blown away with the sound that came out of that small package. Have not had a chance to hear the final product yet. I've recently come into some extra money and am thinking about treating myself to a new toy (and making the wife happy) by selling off my HT and getting a playbase, sub and two rear Play1s. It will be more convenient, better work with the rest of the Sonos system and a MUCH better eyesore. I'm also struggling these days to regulate volume for late night apartment watching between dialog and action scenes.

The thing I'm struggling with is how much audio fidelity I'll lose with no DTS, Dolby and DTS HD, smaller speakers and less separation in the L/R/C channels. I know I won't lose any low-end because I'm very acquainted with the ridiculous sub. But I am worried my movie watching experience will suffer significantly.

Assuming money is no object, how would you feel about going all-in on Sonos if you are used to a true, halfway decent 5.1 AVR setup?
post #1669 of 1670 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should be fine but just in case, buy from a place with a good return policy. Compare the old and new system in your home so that you know for sure. Then either return the sonos gear or sell off the old system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodriguezDan View Post
I know this is a "up to your ears and priorities" type question, but hoping to get outside of my own head here...

I'm a long time Sonos fan (Play 1s throughout the house) with an AVR/traditional home theater and Sonos Connect. I have a true 5.1 set-up with a Sony STR-DH710, a 10' Sony sub and some hefty Sony bookshelf speakers (bought about a decade ago). It can crank out crazy volume (definitely more than I need) and has always sounded great to me. I used to watch a lot of physical media (including Blu-rays) but not so much these days (mostly streaming and TV). I use a Tivo, Xbox One, Apple TV and Roku.

I live in a small apartment (living room is about 15x20) and am starting to think this set-up is overkill and the dream of getting a house where this will live as a dedicated HT is dwindling. The big speakers (especially the L/R large bookshelfs and big center hanging over the TV) and wires are an eyesore, and it's a little inconvenient to have to turn on the receiver and control the volume with the remote whenever I want to use the Sonos Connect.

I worked for Sonos a few years ago and heard a prototype of the Playbase and remember being blown away with the sound that came out of that small package. Have not had a chance to hear the final product yet. I've recently come into some extra money and am thinking about treating myself to a new toy (and making the wife happy) by selling off my HT and getting a playbase, sub and two rear Play1s. It will be more convenient, better work with the rest of the Sonos system and a MUCH better eyesore. I'm also struggling these days to regulate volume for late night apartment watching between dialog and action scenes.

The thing I'm struggling with is how much audio fidelity I'll lose with no DTS, Dolby and DTS HD, smaller speakers and less separation in the L/R/C channels. I know I won't lose any low-end because I'm very acquainted with the ridiculous sub. But I am worried my movie watching experience will suffer significantly.

Assuming money is no object, how would you feel about going all-in on Sonos if you are used to a true, halfway decent 5.1 AVR setup?

post #1670 of 1670 Old Today, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodriguezDan View Post

As you say, everyone is going to have different priorities but I did away with a 'true' 5.1 living room system a few years ago in favor of a PLAYBAR with SUB (no surrounds even), and haven't looked back. I initially thought the lack of DTS would be an issue, but find that we watch probably 95% of our media via Netflix or other streaming sources these days. If you are after the absolute best HT experience, I still don't think SONOS is the right choice. But in my case, ease of use, appearance, and "good enough" audio/HT was what I wanted, and SONOS has delivered well in those regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music
Gear in this thread