Official SONOS owners thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #1681 of 1705 Old 06-18-2017, 08:55 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7708 Post(s)
Liked: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
How do I determine the IP address for the connect? I'm using a Mac.
In the controller app, select Settings/About My Sonos System, and you will see the IP addresses for any Sonos component.s To display the Stats, choose the Sonos Connect IP address.
DaveN and nathan_h like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1705 Old 06-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^ cool!

Have you tried deleting all the apps and reinstalling?
post #1683 of 1705 Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
The release notes for Sonos 7.3 include a line item that says "Play your vinyl LPs on Sonos." but no additional information. Are they actually incorporating a software-defined RIAA curve option into the input on CONNECT & CONNECT AMP?

Nope: found a link to more info. Understandably needs a phono pre amp still to make it work.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)

Last edited by nathan_h; 06-20-2017 at 09:51 PM.

post #1684 of 1705 Old 06-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Has anybody heard more info on the Sonos - Alexa integration? They announced that last year and even put out a video, yet nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1685 of 1705 Old 07-27-2017, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm considering a Sonos Playbar to expand access to my music collection to another room beyond my media room, and also improve the sound level of the TV in my living room. Problem is I have a lot of hi-res and 5.1 FLAC files in my collection. I have no interest in re-ripping these files. Are there any other options to play them via Sonos? I don't care if they get "down sampled." I just want to be able to play them. I was thinking like maybe a DLNA server could transcode to a low res or stereo on the fly and the Sonos could play them that way? Would this work? Other ideas? Thanks!

post #1686 of 1705 Old 07-29-2017, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
I'm considering a Sonos Playbar to expand access to my music collection to another room beyond my media room, and also improve the sound level of the TV in my living room. Problem is I have a lot of hi-res and 5.1 FLAC files in my collection. I have no interest in re-ripping these files. Are there any other options to play them via Sonos? I don't care if they get "down sampled." I just want to be able to play them. I was thinking like maybe a DLNA server could transcode to a low res or stereo on the fly and the Sonos could play them that way? Would this work? Other ideas? Thanks!

I would think Plex should work for you. Create a Plex media server pointing to your music collection, and then add Plex to your Sonos. Stream your music over Sonos using the Plex service and it should work. Plex does a great job in converting source material so that it plays successfully on any device.

By the way a friend of mine just got the PlayBase for under his tv along with the sonos subwoofer and it sounds AMAZING. I was completely blown away. Next time I upgrade my home theater I may do the same. We have come a long way ...
nathan_h and elee532 like this.
post #1687 of 1705 Old 07-29-2017, 04:53 PM

By the way, what I love about Plex in Sonos is how you can see and play your last added albums. I really wish the Sonos music controller could do the same ( no way to see most recently added music). The bad thing about Plex is that I believe it streams out over the internet and comes back to play, rather than keeping everything local on your network ( I believe this to be true but I may be wrong).
elee532 likes this.
post #1688 of 1705 Old 07-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
By the way, what I love about Plex in Sonos is how you can see and play your last added albums. I really wish the Sonos music controller could do the same ( no way to see most recently added music). The bad thing about Plex is that I believe it streams out over the internet and comes back to play, rather than keeping everything local on your network ( I believe this to be true but I may be wrong).

Thanks @timmo !!

One more question... one of the things I have heard about Sonos is that it's possible to search all music sources at once... I.e. local music collection and streaming services. Would Plex be included in search? Thanks!

post #1689 of 1705 Old 07-29-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
Thanks @timmo !!

One more question... one of the things I have heard about Sonos is that it's possible to search all music sources at once... I.e. local music collection and streaming services. Would Plex be included in search? Thanks!

Yes! Plex is just plain awesome...I love it, and completely free to boot. I bought a lifetime license to support them though. I hope it's always around.
elee532 likes this.
post #1690 of 1705 Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi sorry if the question was already asked... is there a way to see in which audio format the sonos playbase is currently playing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1691 of 1705 Old 08-17-2017, 06:42 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7708 Post(s)
Liked: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricog View Post
Hi sorry if the question was already asked... is there a way to see in which audio format the sonos playbase is currently playing ?

By audio format, I assume you mean MP3, M4a, FLAC, etc.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but if you go to Help:About in your Sonos controller, find the IP address of your playbase, and then enter 192.168.x.xxx:1400/status/perf, where 192.168.x.xxx is the player's IP address, you will see the Sonos buffer information, as shown in the first attached screen shot. If you examine the buffer closely, it will show you the audio format of the current track (FLAC in the example).

Also, on some music services, the Sonos controller will have a "Track Format" option when you click the "..." to bring up the menu, as shown in the second screen shot (Deezer is the music service). Clicking the track format option will show you the current audio format (Flac in the third screenshot).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonos Buffer.JPG (118.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Deezer Track Format.JPG (86.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Deezer Track Format2.JPG (45.7 KB, 73 views)
nathan_h and ballen420 like this.
post #1692 of 1705 Old 08-23-2017, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
By audio format, I assume you mean MP3, M4a, FLAC, etc.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but if you go to Help:About in your Sonos controller, find the IP address of your playbase, and then enter 192.168.x.xxx:1400/status/perf, where 192.168.x.xxx is the player's IP address, you will see the Sonos buffer information, as shown in the first attached screen shot. If you examine the buffer closely, it will show you the audio format of the current track (FLAC in the example).

Also, on some music services, the Sonos controller will have a "Track Format" option when you click the "..." to bring up the menu, as shown in the second screen shot (Deezer is the music service). Clicking the track format option will show you the current audio format (Flac in the third screenshot).

Thanks a lot it is exactly what I was looking for!

post #1693 of 1705 Old 09-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

So an event has been announced for early October in NYC. I believe there has also been discussion of FCC filings for device with built in mic.

I'd hope the recent Play 5 has the same thing built in as a hidden feature.

Also, I really hope any Alexa integration isn't contingent on the new device, unless it's an accessory.

post #1694 of 1705 Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sonos has finally announced the Alexa support, including a new $199 Sonos One smart speaker, plus Echo Dot support. Details on their page: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/alexa-on-sonos

Edit: And here's the setup instructions.

Looks like it'll know whether you want to play on a Sonos or an Echo by specifying the room name.

Last edited by dennya; 10-04-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #1695 of 1705 Old 10-04-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennya View Post
Sonos has finally announced the Alexa support, including a new $199 Sonos One smart speaker, plus Echo Dot support. Details on their page: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/alexa-on-sonos

Edit: And here's the setup instructions.

Looks like it'll know whether you want to play on a Sonos or an Echo by specifying the room name.
It appears you need a Sonos One if you want to control your other Sonos devices using Alexa. In other words, if you have an Echo Dot you can't control your Play5. But if you have a Sonos One, you can use Alexa to control your Play5? Am I understanding the Sonos website correctly?
post #1696 of 1705 Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm trying to set it up now.
post #1697 of 1705 Old 10-04-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
It appears you need a Sonos One if you want to control your other Sonos devices using Alexa. In other words, if you have an Echo Dot you can't control your Play5. But if you have a Sonos One, you can use Alexa to control your Play5? Am I understanding the Sonos website correctly?
No, if you look at the setup instructions, it just says you need an Alexa-enabled device.

Looking through the docs (I'm not at home with my Sonos right now) it looks like, once you have it set up, you just use the room name to specify that you want to play on the Sonos versus the Alexa device you're talking to.
post #1698 of 1705 Old 10-04-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ahh yes. I see now. I was only looking at the instructions for the Sonos One and that gave me my wrong perception. Sorry for my confusion.
post #1699 of 1705 Old 10-04-2017, 01:22 PM

It took a while but I've got my Sonos One working with Alexa. Thanks dennya!
dennya likes this.
post #1700 of 1705 Old 10-05-2017, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

I managed to hook my Alexa's up to Sonos. The link provided earlier was for products and no info on how to hook up so I had to Google.

You actually start the connection via an Alexa Sonos skill. You also have to activate Sonos Beta.

So far so good, but I need to play with it more and get more familiar with the commands.
post #1701 of 1705 Old 10-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I managed to hook my Alexa's up to Sonos. The link provided earlier was for products and no info on how to hook up so I had to Google.

You actually start the connection via an Alexa Sonos skill. You also have to activate Sonos Beta.

So far so good, but I need to play with it more and get more familiar with the commands.
Here as well but as long as Spotify is not yet added in the skill it is not very useful - just a demo that is actually works...

At least you can start with the app and then use alexa to go to the next track or turn up the volume.

It will improve soon, I guess...

TV: Samsung 78JU7500 / BR: Samsung H5900 (region- & code-free) / Audio: Sonos "5.1" / Streaming: ATV4 (with Infuse) / NAS: Time Capsule & WD My Cloud
post #1702 of 1705 Old 10-05-2017, 01:33 PM

I have Amazon Music Unlimited, just as good as Spotify, which I tried, but was more expensive....Amazon music unlimited gives you tens of millions of songs and is $3.99 a month for Prime members, per Echo dot or the larger Echo, or you can pay $7.99 to have it on all devices. I wish it was in my car. I have the Sonos One in our bedroom, and I can now tell Alexa to play virtually any song ever recorded "in the bedroom" and it plays out of the Sonos. Pretty cool.

Last edited by pandy4; 10-06-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #1703 of 1705 Old 10-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

Got mine hooked up too. I think it's really poor on Sonos' part not to provide any documentation on how to hook it up and commands. I got it working but no idea how to do the following:

Play Apple Music playlist <name> in rooms 1, 2 and 3
Play Sonos playlist <name> in rooms 1, 2 and 3

etc.

Anyone figured it out?

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #1704 of 1705 Old 10-06-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
Got mine hooked up too. I think it's really poor on Sonos' part not to provide any documentation on how to hook it up and commands. I got it working but no idea how to do the following:

etc.

Anyone figured it out?
I only quickly played around with it last night. I have two Sonos Connect Amps (wired to kitchen and outdoor deck) and one Sonos Play5. I was able to say "Alexa play music in kitchen" and the Sonos Connect Amp began playing the most recently selected playlist from my iPhone. However, when I attempted "Alexa turn down volume in the Kitchen" and "Stop playing music in the kitchen" both times Alexa told me I first needed to play music before I could control play options (or something like that). I pulled out my iPhone and stopped the music. I haven't played around with it since but it seems some of the basic features may be rough around the edges in the Beta version.
post #1705 of 1705 Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post

etc.

Anyone figured it out?

You have to preemptively group them and then tell it to play the group name. Sonos said they’re working on a play everywhere feature, but I don’t think you can do “kitchen and den”.

I don’t think it’s listed as a service, but so far it’s working with my Sirius XM Account I have tied into Alexa. I just have to say play Sirius channel name in location x. However, she turns around and says playing Sirius XM station in.... yet if I say Sirius XM vice Sirius the command won’t go through.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page