Official SONOS owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1055 Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've never used the sonos line in function before, but I had a quick question. I'm planning on installing some in-ceiling speakers to hook up to the sonos zp120. I'm also looking to route the audio from my cable box through to the speakers as well, but trying to avoid the use of an avr or speaker switch. Can I have the cable box audio routed through the line in on the zp120 and leave the zone set to line-in and have the audio from the cable box pipe through the speakers? I'm basically looking to have it such that I can turn on my TV and start listening to the audio through these speakers w/o having to make any adjustments on the controller?

2 Other quick questions.

How does the line-in deal with volume adjustments at the source (e.g., will the volume change if I turn up/down vol. on the cable box).

Is there any latency issue with using the line-in such that I'd have lip-synch issues?

Thanks!

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1055 Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New owner of 5 whole days and this thing ROCKS. I'm only running 1 zone right now, but did test 2. I set up a NAS and having your whole music library in uncompressed format available without the computer being on is fantastic.

And then to have it all in the palm of your hand seals the deal.

I have moved my files around to several different drives in the last few days until coming up with NAS solution and the re-indexing has been nearly flawless. I had to do it twice a couple of times, but eventually it always worked. Very impressed

Jgiddyup
post #183 of 1055 Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 AM

Hi:

I'm considering SONOS system but the obvious question is deciding between Zoneplayer S5 vs Zoneplayer120 with Klipsh speakers and a sub?

There's a big difference in cost.

Does the Zoneplayer S5 has enough power and sound quality for a 13' X 13' room???

Thanks for your time!!
post #184 of 1055 Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchildpr View Post

Hi:

I'm considering SONOS system but the obvious question is deciding between Zoneplayer S5 vs Zoneplayer120 with Klipsh speakers and a sub?

There's a big difference in cost.

Does the Zoneplayer S5 has enough power and sound quality for a 13' X 13' room???

Thanks for your time!!

What about a ZP90 with a pair of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s? Perhaps you meant those already by "Klipsch speakers and sub", but I wasn't sure. I haven't used a S5, but from looks alone my guess would be that it is too small for 13x13.
post #185 of 1055 Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 AM

The ZP90 will require a separate power source, such as an amp or receiver. I use a ZP80 into my main A/V system and it works splendidly. I'm kinda a "power" snob, so I find it hard to believe that the 120 can drive a good set of loudspeakers very well. But I must admit I have never heard a 120 in a home setting.
post #186 of 1055 Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powercat View Post

The ZP90 will require a separate power source, such as an amp or receiver. I use a ZP80 into my main A/V system and it works splendidly. I'm kinda a "power" snob, so I find it hard to believe that the 120 can drive a good set of loudspeakers very well. But I must admit I have never heard a 120 in a home setting.

I've got my main zone on a ZP 80 into a Denon 3808 but 4 other zones on ZP100's. I use one ZP100 for my outdoor speakers and one in my 20 x 20 shop. Can't blast music real loud outdoors, but I rarely have it turned above 3/4s for most patio party type situations. Similarly, in the shop it runs between 1/2 and 3/4 volume max.

Given the 120 is a bit more powerful than the 100 I'd think it should hold up pretty good?
post #187 of 1055 Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Proud to say I'll be a Sonos owner by 3pm tomorrow. I must say working at a participating Sonos dealer really helps. Have a 250 bundle being overnighted. There was only about a $10 difference from standard to overnight and with how much I'm paying, $10 wasn't even a question.
post #188 of 1055 Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSuellentrop View Post

Proud to say I'll be a Sonos owner by 3pm tomorrow. I must say working at a participating Sonos dealer really helps. Have a 250 bundle being overnighted. There was only about a $10 difference from standard to overnight and with how much I'm paying, $10 wasn't even a question.

Yep - I joined the ranks a couple of weeks ago as well. My Denon receiver has Rhapsody and internet radio but it not only is hard to use, but the stability is terrible - it keeps hanging.

Sonos, however, is one of my best purchases ever. I need to restrain myself from adding modules in the garage, crawl space, and closets.

The beauty of Sonos is it is rock solid and the user friendliness is outstanding.
post #189 of 1055 Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn View Post

Sonos, however, is one of my best purchases ever. I need to restrain myself from adding modules in the garage, crawl space, and closets.

Heh, I added _two_ to my shop.

Not quite as bad as it sounds, ones being used to run test signals to the work bench when I build speakers....

I also dropped one into my daughters room. She has an iPod touch which works wonderfully with it. In particular, I grabbed a cable that lets her charge the iPod and listen to it via the line in on the Sonos, so she can play the music library, or bring up a YouTube video and play it back via the Sonos, etc.
post #190 of 1055 Old 04-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

there is a system that does video... bit harder to set up, but just as simple to use... Kaleidescape oh and just a bit pricier...

Kaleidescape is ludicrously expensive >$20k. Control4 has similar functionality and has video capability, but requires a licensed installer for any changes

With iPod functionality being added to the some of the new receivers like the Yamaha's, I'm wondering if any of the new A/V receivers will have Sonos like functionality with a easy GUI that allows the selection of music for different zones...
post #191 of 1055 Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8 View Post

Kaleidescape is ludicrously expensive >$20k. Control4 has similar functionality and has video capability, but requires a licensed installer for any changes

oh, Kaleidescape also requires a licensed installer... so you probably need to add a couple $$$ to the big K price...
but... for the moment at least, Big K is the only Legal option, and only for DVD's... but our Benevolent Media overlords are trying to change that.

our Benevolent Media overlords don't want you to rip DVD's (or HD DVD's or Bluray) to your HDD's... because the only reason anyone would want to do that is to be an evil parrot wielding pirate... so they bought and paid for the Digital Millennium Copyright Act... now no one can make copies if it involves breaking copy protection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8 View Post

With iPod functionality being added to the some of the new receivers like the Yamaha's, I'm wondering if any of the new A/V receivers will have Sonos like functionality with a easy GUI that allows the selection of music for different zones...

maybe someday... but just a little something to think about... the technology for them to do so has been here for 10+ years... if they wanted to they could of beat Sonos to the market... what are they waiting for?

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #192 of 1055 Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 AM

I have a unique situation that has me a little confused. I have a single story house that has vaulted ceilings. It will be virtually impossible to run wires to outdoor speakers from my theater room. Here is my plan I want to put 3 pairs of speakers outside around the pool area. They can all play the same source and at the same level. I also have a Sunfire 250x2 channel amp that I was going to use for power. So if I understand this correctly please (correct if i am wrong) I can install 1 ZP90 in my theater room and connect it to the router. I think I can install another ZP90 (wireless) with the Sunfire Amp somewhere close to the Lanai where I could get speaker wires run to the amp. Does this sound correct? And for the other rooms I could just install the 120 with a set of speakers or the S5. Thanks
post #193 of 1055 Old 04-08-2010, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfondell View Post

I have a unique situation that has me a little confused. I have a single story house that has vaulted ceilings. It will be virtually impossible to run wires to outdoor speakers from my theater room. Here is my plan I want to put 3 pairs of speakers outside around the pool area. They can all play the same source and at the same level. I also have a Sunfire 250x2 channel amp that I was going to use for power. So if I understand this correctly please (correct if i am wrong) I can install 1 ZP90 in my theater room and connect it to the router. I think I can install another ZP90 (wireless) with the Sunfire Amp somewhere close to the Lanai where I could get speaker wires run to the amp. Does this sound correct? And for the other rooms I could just install the 120 with a set of speakers or the S5. Thanks

Sounds right to me.
post #194 of 1055 Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 AM

The Sonos ZonePlayer S5 is portable and has its own amp. Just need a place to plug it in and if you don't have other SOnos players in the house, you'll neeed a bridge for the internet connection
post #195 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'm new to this and I realize that there will be supporters on both camps, but how does Sonos compare to Squeezebox?

I'm really interested in the Sonos S5 now that it's available in black and works with either the iPhone or iPod Touch. Is the quality on that player decent for a small room? Can it also function as an alarm where it'll just play a song or a loud ringtone to wake me up?

Where can I get the S5 for the cheapest price?
post #196 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 AM

this is not the thread to compare Sonos to Logitech SB... I've heard (but do not own) a Sonos S5 (white) - it is plenty loud for a small device. You will need to buy a Sonos ZoneBridge (about $100) and connect it to your router or a switch on your LAN ... or use cat5 cable with the S5 .. but it kinda defeats the purpose or portability. I believe it works with alarms with iPhones but double check on the sonos forums if this is a deal breaker...

The S5 is too new for heavy discounting, or buying used on ebay...best buy or direct from Sonos is recommended.
post #197 of 1055 Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 AM

I'm really interested in the Sonos S5 now that it's available in black and works with either the iPhone or iPod Touch. Is the quality on that player decent for a small room? Can it also function as an alarm where it'll just play a song or a loud ringtone to wake me up?

Yes - you bet!! You can set it up for an alarm mode and play anything in the library, a raido station, etc. I set my morning wake-up alarm for weekdays and also set it to auto-off after two hours of whole house listening while I get ready.

Sonos has such a nice user interface, I can't imagine Logitech being better (but I'm not familiar with Logitech)

As for the S5----I have one and it has very good sound with excellent bass and high volumes. I am very pleased. Althouugh I have only one, amazingly you can also buy two of them and set it up for left and right channels.
post #198 of 1055 Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 PM

Sonos newbie question:

I am thinking of going the Sonos route.

My question is if my current/desired setup is as follows.
(12 ceiling speakers through out hosue)
(1 Dual Zone Receiver (Zone1: TV setup, Zone2:House audio feed/Sonos))

So if I hook all my speakers to my receiver. Then buy 2 Z90's (Sonos Bridge units)
Hook one to my router and one to my receiver, then in theory I should be able to use my PC or Ipod Touch to control the Sonos system and play all the music on my HP MediaSmart, Stream internet radio, AM Radio?

Is that right?

Also is there any special equipment needed to connect 12 speakers to a receiver?
post #199 of 1055 Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

Sonos newbie question:

I am thinking of going the Sonos route.

My question is if my current/desired setup is as follows.
(12 ceiling speakers through out hosue)
(1 Dual Zone Receiver (Zone1: TV setup, Zone2:House audio feed/Sonos))

So if I hook all my speakers to my receiver. Then buy 2 Z90's (Sonos Bridge units)
Hook one to my router and one to my receiver, then in theory I should be able to use my PC or Ipod Touch to control the Sonos system and play all the music on my HP MediaSmart, Stream internet radio, AM Radio?

Is that right?

Sorta. The ZP90 is not a bridge, Sonos does sell a seperate unit that is known as bridge unit. It will only help bridge other Sonos systems together when the distance between them is too great for a regular wireless connection.

However, you do want at least one ZP-90 going into your receiver, it will be what is used to determine what music goes from the PC to the receiver, think of it conceptually as a replacement for a CD player. It can then feed any zone you want on the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

Also is there any special equipment needed to connect 12 speakers to a receiver?

Most likely. Depends on the speakers, but assuming you're not running a 70V system (normal 8 or 4 ohm speakers) you really want a multi-zone amp or at the very least an impedance matching switch or volume control (which will reduce the volume you can get throughout the house) . You'd be mostly missing the benefits of the Sonos with this set up; you've really only got one zone, (or two if you feed two ZP-90s into the receiver). Some people stack multiple ZP-110s in the wiring closet each going to a separate room, then each room can be run independently. With that setup you no longer need a multi zone amp but it will likely be more expensive.

Also depending on how big of area you have to cover you may need a repeater just to get the controller signal back to the wiring closet... If you plop a ZP-110 in the actual room (assuming you can get to the wiring) you can kill two birds with one stone. However, I find I prefer to have my ZPs hard wired and not use wireless (I do have two that run wireless but they give me the odd connection problem every once and a while).
post #200 of 1055 Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a couple zones of Sonos, but I'd like to add one more that is a dedicated two-channel with really good speakers and DAC. I'm considering the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC with their new Bridge option. Supposedly they have apps for iPhone/iPad and since the DAC has gain, there's no need for a Pre-Amp. All I need is a good power amp and speakers. The Bridge can put the DAC on the network, making all the content on my NAS available just like it is for the Sonos. It will be like my high-end media server. Has anyone else done this?
post #201 of 1055 Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I have a couple zones of Sonos, but I'd like to add one more that is a dedicated two-channel with really good speakers and DAC. I'm considering the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC with their new Bridge option. Supposedly they have apps for iPhone/iPad and since the DAC has gain, there's no need for a Pre-Amp. All I need is a good power amp and speakers. The Bridge can put the DAC on the network, making all the content on my NAS available just like it is for the Sonos. It will be like my high-end media server. Has anyone else done this?

Unless you've got treated room I'd save your money and just use a ZP-90 with the amp of your choice. There are 3rd party "audiophile" mods for the Sonos components, but again, you're room will be a much bigger factor....
post #202 of 1055 Old 08-14-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

Unless you've got treated room I'd save your money and just use a ZP-90 with the amp of your choice. There are 3rd party "audiophile" mods for the Sonos components, but again, you're room will be a much bigger factor....

The room I propose to use for listening (as opposed to background music) does have some acoustical treatments and I can employ more as needed -- maybe even invest in an outboard Audyssey PRO calibration. There's no way, however, that a ZP90 is going to sound anywhere near as good as a Perfect Wave DAC. I might consider using a ZP90 with an HTIB or a pair of small bookshelfs. For me it's not about saving money...it's about having one room dedicated to ultra high quality audio. The Perfect Wave with Bridge seems like a good way to accomplish this while integrating with and maintaining the overall simplicity of the Sonos system.
post #203 of 1055 Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's no way, however, that a ZP90 is going to sound anywhere near as good as a Perfect Wave DAC.

I'd take that wager any day, any amount, but that's another thread....
post #204 of 1055 Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 AM

I have my Sonos hooked up with my receiver as both an inpout and an output. I also ripped my CD collection to a PC harddrive either lossless or near lossless and play through the Sonus Optical out......and it is quite good. Going the other way (receiver out to Sonos) I can play by CD throughout the house -- and this is through analog inputs and not digital, but still quite good.

I have the same track on SACD, mp3, CD, apple lossless, etc...and I intend to test them one of these weekends to see if I can tell the difference.
post #205 of 1055 Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

I'd take that wager any day, any amount, but that's another thread....

You're asserting that the $349 zone player is the sonic equivalent of a $3700.00 PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC/Bridge? The only impartial judge for this match up would be Conventional Wisdom and CW would have to be aware of such a thread (wherever it is posted) and then take it seriously enough to give its informed opinion.
post #206 of 1055 Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're asserting that the $349 zone player is the sonic equivalent of a $3700.00 PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC/Bridge?

Pretty much, yup. Unless the PS Audio screws up some how (and I've owned PS Audio equipment in the past, so I doubt that's the case).

Quote:

The only impartial judge for this match up would be Conventional Wisdom and CW would have to be aware of such a thread (wherever it is posted) and then take it seriously enough to give its informed opinion.

No, the impartial judge is a double blind ABX. I've participated in several of them with DACs and never, but never, found anyone that can discriminate between any normal DACs. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the DAC of your choice, but before you do, try a real simple test:

- Down load Foobar 2000;
- rip a CD track of your choice to a WAV file (use EAC if you can);
- create a copy of the WAV as a AAC 256 VBR (or 320 Mp3 with the LAME encoder);
- play them both back over what ever you consider to be the best possible equipment you have for discriminating between different sources (I prefer electrostatic head phones for this kind of thing). Get as familiar with them as you want;
- switch to Foobar 2000s double blind testing mode for the two versions of the track in question and see if you can pick them out;

Odds are probably less than 1/10 that you'll have any luck discriminating between them. Now consider how much less difference there can possibly be between two DACs... It's just not the kind of thing that humans can hear, but like I said, it's also a topic for another thread (and the general topic- differences between DACs - has been done to death several times here on AVS).

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program....

One other thing to consider; you can run the digital out from a ZP-90 to the DAC of your choice. So, you can always get the ZP-90 and if after some time you really have money burning a hole in your pocket that you need to spend then you can pick whatever DAC of the moment catches your fancy and give it a go, without having to spend anything more than $350 to get your feet wet...
post #207 of 1055 Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 AM

I just read there is new app out soon for the iPad ---a controller like the iPhone but much more info with the bigger screen --and free
post #208 of 1055 Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn View Post

I just read there is new app out soon for the iPad ---a controller like the iPhone but much more info with the bigger screen --and free

They just announced that they are pushing it back until the end of September.
post #209 of 1055 Old 08-20-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs476 View Post

They just announced that they are pushing it back until the end of September.

iPad control for both Sonos and Squeeze will really get interesting when Apple releases its smaller, cheaper 7" iPad Mini soon.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #210 of 1055 Old 08-20-2010, 01:05 PM

I was just trying to solve a speaker wiring problem. My 7.1 receiver is running in 5.1 because I can't wire the back left and right without a major project -- ripping out some wallboard and crawling in tight spaces..

It just occured to me I can run the preamp outs for the rear channels into a ZP90 and then put a ZP 120 and two speakers in the back and run them wirelessly. Cool, eh?

Trouble may be the slight delay with the auto setup (it's a Denon with Audysee ) to tose back channels - but it would sure save me a wiring headache

Anybody think this will work??? The rears aren't that important??? I just checked with Sonos and don't think they ever did this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page