Official SONOS owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1055 Old 10-11-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wheres the love. I dont see an owners thread. After recently getting a 150 bundle, all i can say is im in heaven. With pandora, rhapsody and the music on my computer , its music nirvana. i think im going to buy another bundle for another powered unit for the patio and another non powered unit for the theater.

bow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1055 Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
I agree with you completely. I got my first Sonos bundle about a year and a half ago and I've been in love with it ever since. I've since expanded the system and it just keeps getting better and better.
post #3 of 1055 Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

Wheres the love. I dont see an owners thread. After recently getting a 150 bundle, all i can say is im in heaven. With pandora, rhapsody and the music on my computer , its music nirvana. i think im going to buy another bundle for another powered unit for the patio and another non powered unit for the theater.

bow

Listen, I don't want to rain on your parade, because any other guy could probably make this comment and not risk having it misconstrued, but...I think one of the reasons you haven't seen an "official" Sonos thread before is usually those are a place for owners to gather and sort through common problems. I'm not above saying, for the most part, one of the strengths of the system is that it doesn't seem to have (m)any, so what do you intend to post in this thread? I suspect more of what you already have: one very nice pic of the Controller, and one "I like it too" comment from the gallery.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #4 of 1055 Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I like my setup too...
4 ZP-100's
2 ZP-80's
3 controllers (only really ever use one..., did just use the second one the other day, so its nice to have at least...)
2 cradle things...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #5 of 1055 Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I'm deciding on which music streaming device to use in my house. Sonos seems like the easy answer. The thing is I tried the Sonos at a local store and...I'm tryin' to love the Sonos but the controller came off as sort of clunky. Sort of like an iPod clone but without the finesse of an iPod. As an iPod owner you really get spoiled by the beauty of the interface and the smoothness and responsiveness of the scroll wheel. Every time I used the Sonos scroll wheel I kept expecting an iPod-like responsiveness but was met by a wheel that I had to press much harder to operate, and which didn't operate nearly as accurately or responsively as my iPod classic scroll wheel.

Likewise, after all the raves about the "big bright viewscreen" of the Sonos controller I found it rather lackluster: kind of dull, especially when viewed on any angle other than straight on. Again, my iPod screen looks so much nicer, brighter and sharper. (Although I suppose there would be some "brightness" control setting for the Sonos that perhaps was turned somewhat down).

I also miss the ability to see the album art as I search the music, whereas the Sonos controller only lets you see a text list of the artists/albums and then shows the album art after you've made your selection. Again...spoiled by the beautiful interface of my iTunes/iPod.

Given I want to set up at least two (or more) zones I'll still likely end up with the Sonos.

How do you owners find the controller to live with?
post #6 of 1055 Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

the sonos does display cover art while browsing, its in the upper right corner of the screen... true, its too small to be useful, but you can make out basic shapes and colors

my jog wheel works just fine on my 3 controllers, but then I don't have an ipod to compare it with... or maybe then controller in the store was beat on?

as far as the screen goes, it is decent... but nothing special...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #7 of 1055 Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

just got the zonebridge today and it freed up my zp120. now im looking for some good outdoor speakers so i can setup a patio zone.

what services is everyone using?
im thinking of keeping rhapsody and i already use pandora on my PC, its a shame you have to pay the 30 dollar a year fee to use it with sonos

the live 30% cashback ebay deal got me this bundle for 600, im hoping to score another one for the same.

one thing i wish is that when searching for artists or songs it would retain previous searches and autofill the search box. the wheel should also have sensors under the upper,lower,left, and right areas so you dont have to jog through the entire alphabet. other than that i really have no gripes
post #8 of 1055 Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I'm not an owner...but who better to ask these questions than owners?

My wife and I are loving internet radio via iTunes, so I'm sure we'd use the internet radio feature of the Sonos quite a lot.

Can we make easily accessable radio "playlists?"

In iTunes I have a bunch of my favorite radio stations dragged into a playlist with my name, and my wife's favourite stations in a playlist with her name. Can we do this with the Sonos?

Further, for our ripped CDs streaming to the Sonos, can we make general playlists for individual people? That is, individual folders or playlists for me, my wife, my kids etc, so we don't have to search through each other's music collection to find what OUR music?

Thanks.
post #9 of 1055 Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

just got the zonebridge today and it freed up my zp120. now im looking for some good outdoor speakers so i can setup a patio zone.

if they can be mounted away from direct contact with water/UV light, any 'good' speaker will work fine...
by good, I just mean not total crap, but not $100K speakers either, any speaker will start to sound like crap after being out side long enough...

Quote:

im thinking of keeping rhapsody and i already use pandora on my PC, its a shame you have to pay the 30 dollar a year fee to use it with sonos

I just listen to my CD's really...
as far as the $30 for Pandora, they do need the money, our Benevolent Media overlords have seen to that... they can't/don't want to compete, so raise the royalty fees until you put Pandora and the like out of business...
of course I personally have bought more music the last couple of years because of Pandora, but I guess selling more music isn't what the RIAA is all about...

and of course, from pandora's rules:
Quote:

Q: What do I get when I subscribe? How much does a subscription cost? Is renewal automatic?

Subscribing to Pandora enables several additional listening options, no matter how you sign up. Each subscriber thus receives a Universal Pandora Account which includes support for:

-Pandora on the Web without advertising of any kind
-Pandora on the Go for any supported mobile phone. Visit Pandora on the Go for more information.
-Pandora in the Home with the Sonos Digital Music System, the Logitech Squeezebox or the Logitech Transporter. Visit Pandora in the Home for more information.

post #10 of 1055 Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Sorry, I'm not an owner...but who better to ask these questions than owners?

you would probably get better answers at the sonos forums

Quote:

My wife and I are loving internet radio via iTunes, so I'm sure we'd use the internet radio feature of the Sonos quite a lot.

Can we make easily accessable radio "playlists?"

no clue... I don't listen to internet radio that much... if Sonos can't, you should put in a feature request, sounds like a cool feature to me...

Quote:

Further, for our ripped CDs streaming to the Sonos, can we make general playlists for individual people? That is, individual folders or playlists for me, my wife, my kids etc, so we don't have to search through each other's music collection to find what OUR music?

Thanks.

you can make as many playlists as you like... name them whatever you like...
(technically not as many as you like, there is probably some limit, like 65534 or something)

post #11 of 1055 Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I'm using Rhapsody (Napster is probably fine too but they had Rhapsody support before Napster so I just stuck with it b/c it suits my need perfectly) Sirius, and Pandora. Between those three I'm seriously in music nirvana.

I use Rhapsody to discover new music and to also listen to playlists that other users generate. These playlists can be great for mixing things up a bit.

I use Sirius as my sleep music at night (Spa channel) and as my wake-up music in the morning. I also use Sirius for regular radio when working around the house.

I use Pandora to discover new music and to play some seriously good music for whatever the mood might be.

And finally I use my normal 5,000ish track personal library for normal listening whenever the mood strikes me.
post #12 of 1055 Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

...so what do you intend to post in this thread? I suspect more of what you already have: one very nice pic of the Controller, and one "I like it too" comment from the gallery.

Why did you even post that comment? I'm not sure what value you hoped to add to the forum. But at any rate, it's obvious that you're already wrong in your assumption. Threads like this are good for several reasons actually. One of which is to simply discuss how current owners are using their system and/or planning to expand their system. Another is for people who are interested in Sonos. It gives them a good spot to talk with existing owners to fully understand how it can best be utilized.
post #13 of 1055 Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 AM

Just ordered a system as well. I am using napster to go. Can't wait to get it going. For those wanting a more apple like controller there is a new app in the app store called zones that makes your iphone or touch into a sonos controller. It has undergone several revisions in a short period of time and many seem to really like it now. It is not an official app from Sonos, but for $15 I will definitely be trying it out. Link to sonos forum...

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=10461

Link to developer
http://kupuk.com/zones/

Darin
post #14 of 1055 Old 10-15-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

the live 30% cashback ebay deal got me this bundle for 600, im hoping to score another one for the same.

one thing i wish is that when searching for artists or songs it would retain previous searches and autofill the search box. the wheel should also have sensors under the upper,lower,left, and right areas so you dont have to jog through the entire alphabet. other than that i really have no gripes

I just got a pair of Polk Atrium 55's for my outdoor speakers. They suit me very well, but then when I am outside, I am not terribly picky.

Also, I use Rhapsody, but I have also kind of lucked out. My 30 day "trial" never expired. Once it does I fully plan on officially signing up, but for now, I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
post #15 of 1055 Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ive been eyeing the atriums as well. i found some bose (...yes i know bose is terribly overpriced for what they offer) at sams on clearance and they come with a 5 year warranty against the elements. my main concern is living in ohio and it can get quite cold in the winter yet still get pretty hot in the summer

thats cool about zones, hopefully in the future theyll allow rhapsody support and then ill buy
post #16 of 1055 Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #17 of 1055 Old 10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177
Sonos is giving away a set of their speakers free with the purchase of a ZonePlayer 120 or a Sonos Bundle 150 (until the 31th). Just use code FREESP100.
post #18 of 1055 Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

is that only for purchasing from the sonos store?
post #19 of 1055 Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Where and when do you enter the code? They ask for payment confirmation before I see a place to enter the code for the free speakers?
post #20 of 1055 Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

Where and when do you enter the code? They ask for payment confirmation before I see a place to enter the code for the free speakers?

If you have any questions call them on their 800 number... I'm sure they will be more than happy to take your money.

Update: It appears you enter the code on the first cart screen... using the Coupon or Gift Card box. At least that worked for me.
post #21 of 1055 Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is that only for purchasing from the sonos store?

I think it's only a Sonos direct purchase promotion. However in the past when Best Buy carried Sonos they often matched or beat Sonos' promotions. I'm guessing others would too. Can't hurt to give them a try.
post #22 of 1055 Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 PM

Just g.ot my 150 bundle for bedroom and living room + controller. I have to say it one of the most fun things I have purchased in a long time. Set up took about 15 minutes and was playing my own music as well as browsing/playing napster. It was exactly as advertised (which seems to be more and more rare these days). For those looking for plug and play, works great.

Darin
post #23 of 1055 Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM

I've got a question:

I don't own a Sonos system but have been planning on it. One option that dawned on me is that instead of buying the Sonos controller I could buy a small laptop at a cheaper price nowawadays and run the free controller software. I would get the extra benefit of having a laptop to surf the web on the couch if I wanted to. In either case I would stream the music from a NAS to the zoneplayer. What do you guys see as the pros and cons, besides the portability factor (Sonos controller most likely being smaller than the laptop)? I'm interested in hearing which would actually be easier to use/navigate/select songs with and anything you would be gain or miss out on by choosing one controller vs. the other.
post #24 of 1055 Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVImpulse View Post

What do you guys see as the pros and cons, besides the portability factor (Sonos controller most likely being smaller than the laptop)?

I end up using the pc software the most, but ....

The remote is useful. It's easier for when you don't want to fire up the laptop, other people are over or other family members will find it better.

I'd get it, at some point.

who ever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.
post #25 of 1055 Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

why wouldnt you just buy the bundle? buying the powered and no powered units is slightly less than just buying the bundle. i use the pc on one floor and a controller on the other floors. when i buy another bundle ill have an extra controller. and if zones starts to work exactly like the controller ill have 3 more. ( two iphones and an itouch in the house)

the laptop would definitely be easier to navigate as the biggest problem with the controller is scrolling to type. if they put pressure senitive buttons below the scroll wheel in a dpad configuration like the ipods have then it would be much easier

also ive been using the system as ambient music when i sleep and as an alarm in the morning. without the controller id have to get up and go to the pc to turn the alam off or the unit and ute t
post #26 of 1055 Old 10-25-2008, 01:38 PM

I am trying to output my reciever (Pioneer Elite VSX-84 TXSi) into the analog input on my ZP-90, by way of the analog output from the reciever.

The Sonos system picks up the Tuner and XM throughout the network, but will not transmit my connected sources like PS3, Comcast DVR box and Pioneer DVD/ACD/VDA player (they are input to the reciever by HDMI or iLink).

Any suggestions/comments?
post #27 of 1055 Old 10-25-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman View Post

The Sonos system picks up the Tuner and XM throughout the network, but will not transmit my connected sources like PS3, Comcast DVR box and Pioneer DVD/ACD/VDA player (they are input to the reciever by HDMI or iLink).

I'm assuming you are using zone2 output from the receiver. If so run analog audio cables from each device you want to output from zone2. Very few receivers will take a digital input and send it out as zone2, most require analog inputs for that.

who ever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.
post #28 of 1055 Old 10-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Great new thread. I have a question, is anyone using the Cullen modified ZP90? I'm looking at using this as my transporter for all 2-channel music through a PSA digital Link III Cullen level 4 modified.

Thanks for the info
Mark
post #29 of 1055 Old 10-25-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Great to see a Sonos thread! I am surprised one did not previously exist. It is an excellent product with a great interface. In my next house I will be using them for whole house integration.
post #30 of 1055 Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bump. As somebody else posted in a seperate thread Sonos release an iPhone/iPod Touch controller application for free.

Does anybody have experience running Sonos with a Drobo - routed through USB or using the netshare add-on?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pm6004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page