SERVER-QUEST: Transporter (Modwright) / Mac (mini) / music servers - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Tim, my suggestion would be to play signal through it for at least 100 hours and then give it an A/B. That may or may not provide more differences.

Yeah, some due diligence is in order here. I have 30 days to return it, so I'll give it some more time before making my final decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I just got my new iMac up and running. This machine took the place of my failing, and now dead, iMac G5. I went back and forth about fixing the old one and getting a new Mini to set up as a HT-Mac. Well, a 24" screen is freakin' huge! I am used to a 17 incher. I do have to say that everything is sounding better than ever. I'm not sure if the old machine was having such a hard time running toward the end that the quality of the files it was streaming was degraded, or if it's a psychological thing, but I am very happy with what I am hearing now! Music library scan took about 1/10th the amount of time it took before, and I haven't heard any of those annoying bursts of pink noise that I mentioned before.

Cheers,
Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #93 of 98 Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Has anyone looked into the new PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC as a digital media server? Someone has pointed out to me that it can do dadgum near everything. As soon as they add the bridge portion it will stream any music file from 16/44 to 24/192 (both wired and wireless), and that is without the Perfect Wave Transport. If you add the transport it will play HRX discs native, as well as any format of CD.

On top of all of that it can even act as a 2-channel pre, although it is limited to digital inputs only.

MSRP w/o bridge $2999. Transport also $2999. I don't really believe you'd need the transport if solely streaming from a NAS/hard drive and could go with the Perfect Wave DAC as a high end DAC and media server (all in one).

This thing/things appears to have high potential!

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...erfectwave-dac

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...port?cat=audio

I'm going to dig into this a bit further and will let you'll know what I find.
Mark
post #94 of 98 Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM

I agree....it does seem to have everything. I was advised by a local A/V guy that PS Audio other DAC was a good buy. So in investigating I discovered the same information and came to the same conclusion.

I was looking at building a HTPC to locate in my a/v rack. However if the Perfectwave DAC does all it says then I can eliminate the HTPC (for now relative to audio). I can attach it my home network with my home PC / sever that has my Itunes library and I'm in business for stereo sounds. Thereby eliminating the noise associated with a HTPC located in my media room.

I do have a few concerns however:
What is the cost of the bridge?
The You Tube video seems to imply that you can not access the volume control of the pre-amp through the network connection (Ipod Touch)? Only from the front screen...I can not see a good reason for not having this capability built-in.
Does the unit have IR capbailities, given the above issue.
I assume you can bypass the pre-amp function and route directly to a pre/processor/ receiver?

The price seems to be in the ball park given all the engineering work they have put into this unit and they capability built-in. And given that most other external quality DACs are priced from ~$500-$5K and many benefit from aftermarket mods to upgrade key components in the signal path. These aftermarket mods are priced from ~$500-$2k.

I'm currently in the specification phase of my new media center and this unit seems to fit my requirements.

Interest to hear what others are using for DACs and how this compares specificatiosn wise since it's not schedule for release until April / May '09.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini>B&W 805Di> Rotel RSX-1560> Harmony 890> iPad (4th gen.)
post #95 of 98 Old 04-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Well I finally got some information from PS Audio, here's what they sent (short answer):

My e-mail:

Quote:
I am a present owner of the Digital Link III/w Cullen level 4 mods. Phenomenal DAC by the way. The Perfect Wave DAC appears to have extremely high potential with it's ability (with the future bridge) to stream all current resolutions of music from an offboard NAS/harddrvie.

I'm looking for status on the bridge and if this will be user installable upon release. Additionally, do you feel the transport is a necessary addition or could one just go with the DAC and a NAS for all music listening and then use the Perfect Wave for added non-PS Audio transports.

The Perfect Wave appears to be a phenomenal step forward in music playback and with the upcoming bridge could be … well pretty amazing.

There is mention of added harddrive (NAS) "containers" to match the PWD in the future?

Also, is there going to be an i-phone/i-touch app available from PS Audio for display of tracks, cover art, etc. in the future?

Answer:

Quote:
The Bridge upgrade for the Perfect Wave DAC will be available shortly after the release of the PWD. It is indeed user installable and for most it will take less than a minute. If you are okay with playing all of your media from the NAS there is no need for the addition of the Transport. Eventually we will offer our own server solution which will feature both storage and ripping capabilities, of course with the same bit perfect read abilities of the PWT.

The iPhone app will be released at the same time as the Bridge. It will allow for a rich graphical interface with your networked media.

Not much, but something. I've also got a call into a dealer. When I get more, I'll pass it along.

The PS audio website is very informative on the PerfectWave system.
Mark
post #96 of 98 Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Do you think there is enough interest now or in the future to start a seperate DAC user thread. This thread would engage in discussion about various DACs with some focus on the PWD. I would some day like to develop enough interest to maybe approach PS Audio about a group but.

What do you think?

Mid 2010 Mac Mini>B&W 805Di> Rotel RSX-1560> Harmony 890> iPad (4th gen.)
post #97 of 98 Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

For anyone connecting their Mac to an HDTV, this software is a life saver.

DisplayConfigX
http://www.3dexpress.de/

Using the highest compatible default resolution got me most of the way there, but due to overscan on the TV, the top menu bar was cut off and the mouse cursor could get lost off-screen.

DisplayConfigX allowed me to tweak the front and back "porch" so that everything fits on-screen. I ended up with a funky 1248 x 697 as the optimal setting.

Funny how a little fix like this can be so satisfying.

Oh, but I should mention that during the learning phase, I set a resolution that was incompatible with the TV and lost my pic. Long story, but I had to use the video-out adaptor on a different TV input to get the display settings back up . . . then I had to engage the voice over function in the Mac and feel around in the dark to get back to a resolution that worked. It would have been a lot easier if I had another monitor to use, but I don't.

Hi Hifisponge:

I'm in the process of setting up a Mini-based music server with video output to my 50" Pioneer plasma and wanted to use DisplayConfigX to tweak the display. Can you suggest a best approach to avoid the lost picture problem? I have another display, but I'd hate to have to unbox it and feel my way around to restore a viewable picture.

Thanks in advance for your help on this one.

Steve
post #98 of 98 Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlplasma View Post

Hi Hifisponge:

I'm in the process of setting up a Mini-based music server with video output to my 50" Pioneer plasma and wanted to use DisplayConfigX to tweak the display. Can you suggest a best approach to avoid the lost picture problem? I have another display, but I'd hate to have to unbox it and feel my way around to restore a viewable picture.

Thanks in advance for your help on this one.

Steve

Steve -

I'm afraid not. Unlike Windows, which asks the user to confirm a change in screen resolution before it is permantly applied, Apple OS makes the change instantly. However, if you are careful, you should be able to avoid the issue.

My first problem was that I double clicked on the "display" option in the set-up menu, when it only required a single click. The first click selected the display option, and the second click selected the resolution that was under the cursor at the time. So don't double click!

If for some reason you select a resolution that is incompatible with your display and you lose the image, keep in mind that you can scroll up and down the resolution list using the up and down arrow keys. So stay calm, don't touch the mouse and press the up or down arrows until the image comes back (wait 5 seconds between button presses to allow the monitor time to synch).

If you run into any snags, feel free to call on me.

I don't remember everything I did to get my resolution set, but I'm sure it will come back to me in a time of need.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page