SERVER-QUEST: Transporter (Modwright) / Mac (mini) / music servers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My turn to play moderator I though this discussion appropriate for a dedicated thread, in hopes that it continues to grow as more and more options become available. Most of all keep it friendly and helpfull.
Thanks.

A little background, and some fuel for further discussion:

I recently decided to set up a music server for my home. While I originaly thought I would go with a Mac-mini + HD(s) and run through iTunes ( I still may evolve that way) I decided that I would get a Modwright Transporter and wirelessly stream music files from my home computer (iMac). Well, after the initial set-up, I quickly decided that I would get an external Hard Drive and (re)rip my 1500(ish) and growing CD collection[very close on that guess Tim, I haven't actually counted in quite some time, but 1500 is pretty close (±100)]. I had previously ripped everything into iTunes for use with the iPod that my wife gave me a couple of years ago. That gift fueled the somewhat dormant fire that burned within my soul that is a very deep love of music. It directly led to me now upgrading my entire home system, basically starting from scratch. This thread represents just one head of the Hydra that comprises a modern Audio-Video system. (Man, a turntable, integrated amp and a pair of speakers were all I used to want/need!!!).

Now, I have moved to a ethernet wired connection on the Transporter because my wireless router sucks (drops connections constantly). That router will eventually be replaced by an Airport Extreme Base Station (perhaps) but the connection will remain wired.

The Transporter is great. It does everything I want it to, and more. Plus the ModWright modification to it not only looks cool as hell, it sounds amazing!

I am still in the process of ripping everything to FLAC (using MAX) and am pleased with the result. Other than being incredibly time consuming, their meta-data base is no where near as expansive as the one for iTunes (Gracenote), so I have to manually enter some of it. More often than not I can simply copy and past the missing meta-data in from iTunes (There is a Apple script that will do this for you, but I have no clue how that stuff works). Along with the album art. Thankfully I was obsessive about having correct info/art when I did the iTunes rips, so this whole process is much easier this time around.

I am not satisfied with the SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork interface software though, it is somewhat lacking (IMO) in features, such as tracking what you have played (playcount), and smart-playlists... (both are features that I have come to really love in iTunes. When used together I can set up a smart-playlist to play random songs that I have not listened to in over 6 months, with no repeats. I can't do this with the SqueezeCenter software) Also, I wish that it were a stand alone application and not run through a web browser. And a visualizer would be a welcome addition. In truth, though SqueezeCenter is bare-bones and does its job, just no bells and whistles.

This is turned into a much more long winded intro than I intended so lets just let the sucker loose and see where it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Michael- I finally made it through the last of the A-Z organized CDs... and am just starting the "various artist" collections... then my wife's music... been ripping for over a month (maybe two)... 500-ish gigs worth now ripped to FLAC, 1TB is going to work out just fine for me (for now) with a little room for the new stuff. At least now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I may even be done by the time my HT3's arrive.

I am sure you are aware, but there is a new mod for the TP power supply that Dan will be offering soon. If you haven't already asked him about it, you may want to. He has posted a little bit of info about it over @ AC. ...just thought I would mention it, in case you didn't know already.

Cheers,
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Holy shite dude. Do you have 1500+ CD's to burn? I just bought a Mac Mini and two 750GB drives (one for back-up) and will start ripping into apple lossless soon as well, but I only have around 3-400 CDs.

The Mac Mini and HD's will be in my AV rack connected directly via optical digital, so no streaming for me and no need for a TP. And I'll use a DVI to HDMI cable out from the Mac Mini to the TV so I have a graphic iTunes interface to use as my music server. Should make listening to music at a whim a hellava lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenamc View Post

First... It's great to know I'm not the only one that will be racking up over 500 gb worth of music. I started my server on my upstairs desktop (400 gb hdd) knowing it would just be a starting point. Said drive is now effectively full and I am roughly 1/2 through my collection. I am guessing around 1500 Cds.

It's incredible how much my listening habits have changed from served music. I think you'll really dig it, Tim. I had considered a Mac Mini, but a Mini + DAC > TP. And before you point out Mw TP > either, I know. But how cool is it to see vacuum tubes and wifi antennea sticking out of the same box? Plus it's supposed to sound ok too.

-Michael

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I wish I had an excuse to put some tubed gear in my rack, but it just wasn't meant to be right now.

I can't wait to put together the music server though. I know it is going to have a profound effect on how and what I listen to. It's the whole reason I'm doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

I've ripped about 900 CDs over the last three years, not too horrible but I sure wouldn't want to do it again. I spent some time last week talking to a guy who is looking at starting on ripping 7,000 CDs ! Tried talking him into lossless, but he's on a budget so it looks like it will be 256KB VBR ACC. The resultant storage costs are reasonable, but I can't help but wonder if he won't be doing it all over again some time in a couple of years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I am close to needing a second terabit drive and will probably move it all to a NAS with RAID in the next few weeks as I could not imagine re-ripping everything

Tim, why not go with the stock Transporter??? The DACS they use are absolutely incredible and you could run the Slimserver interface to your screen. This would provide way better sonics than the Mac Mini and the Transporter certainly goes with the look of your gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I just bought two 1.5 TB drives BR movies take up 25-40GB EACH

Quote:

My thinking was that having the Mac Mini in my AV rack would give me the shortest signal path and would have the "best man for the job" handling the processing (the Classe SSP-800).

The Mac Mini (connected to an external 750GB drive) would simply be a transport sending digital signal directly to the Classe SSP-800 processor.

By going with any streaming type device like the transporter, I am now adding a wi-fi signal between it and the mac mini, having the transporter do DA conversion, the signal is then converted back to digital for bass management in the SSP-800 and back to analog for output to the speakers. This just seems like a lot more processes than necessary.

Even if I connected the transporter to the SSP-800 via analog bypass, I would think that the DACs and the analog output stage would be better in the 800 than in the transporter, no? And then I can only listen in stereo with no subwoofer.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Makes perfect sense to me. Or use Sonos from a NAS drive digital out to the preamp which is what I do. The interface is better and easier (and no screen needed) and allows you to move your music to other parts of the house if you like.

Quote:

Apple has a solution for that too. I can use an ipod touch as a portable graphical interface to control the itunes library on the mac mini via the wi-fi connection. And if I want music in other rooms, just use an Apple airport, which also has a digital out, to stream music from the server to another system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I don't think you can stream different songs to seperate Airports though....so all rooms will have to play the same music. I believe Sonos can have up to 32 seperate streams.

Quote:

True. Though for my smaller home, I wouldn't need that.

Quote:

you are going to have to have an internet connection to the Mac Mini for itunes to work fully so you could just hardwire the transporter instead. The Transporter has both digital and analog outputs for you could listen for yourself and see what you prefer.
I do believe that the "miracle" DACs in the Transporter are superior to what is in a home theater processor; I know the Classe is a high-end processor but the DACs in the TP are incredible. There is a reason that with all of the various mods that exist for the Transporter none of them include replacing the DACs. It absolute best sound quality is what you are after than I believe that would come from the Transporter, but both solutions are good.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now the question is in order to retain the sound quality I am getting from the TP, and be able to use the features that I like in iTunes, will an optical hookup from Mac -> TP give me the best of both worlds (using the TP as a DAC)??? I still want to control the music through the Transporter, as well as have it display the now playing info. Would that work? I don't think so. I would imagine that all the control would be through the Mac-mini / iTunes.

My thought (if I add a Mac-mini like my original thought) would be to keep the connection as ethernet. That way I could still listen to internet radio without having the mini on, and fire it up when listening from my library. Hopefully the interface will continue to improve with SqueezeCenter, and add some features that I like. Also on the hopefull side would be that Apple will put a Blu-Ray drive in a new version of the Mini. Turn it into a true HT-PC.

(on that note, I recently read that Apple is either discontinuing the Mini, or giving it a serious overhaul. This is rumored to be happening in the next couple of weeks. I hope they do the overhaul/direction change and bill it as what it seems to be most commonly used for)

Sound quality was the driving issue that led me to the Transporter, and away from a mac Mini directly in my system, not that it would be bad sound but I think the DACs in the TP are the best available.

AppleTV has also made some significant improvements since it was introduced, and should be considered as an option for those of us with combined HT+music systems. Another streaming device (as far as I can tell) but uses Apple's intuitive user friendly interface's. Just throwing this one out there, I really do not know much about apple TV.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #3 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Now the question is in order to retain the sound quality I am getting from the TP, and be able to use the features that I like in iTunes, will an optical hookup from Mac -> TP give me the best of both worlds (using the TP as a DAC)??? I still want to control the music through the Transporter, as well as have it display the now playing info. Would that work? I don't think so. I would imagine that all the control would be through the Mac-mini / iTunes.

My thought (if I add a Mac-mini like my original thought) would be to keep the connection as ethernet. That way I could still listen to internet radio without having the mini on, and fire it up when listening from my library. Hopefully the interface will continue to improve with SqueezeCenter, and add some features that I like. Also on the hopefull side would be that Apple will put a Blu-Ray drive in a new version of the Mini. Turn it into a true HT-PC.

(on that note, I recently read that Apple is either discontinuing the Mini, or giving it a serious overhaul. This is rumored to be happening in the next couple of weeks. I hope they do the overhaul/direction change and bill it as what it seems to be most commonly used for)

Sound quality was the driving issue that led me to the Transporter, and away from a mac Mini directly in my system, not that it would be bad sound but I think the DACs in the TP are the best available.

AppleTV has also made some significant improvements since it was introduced, and should be considered as an option for those of us with combined HT+music systems. Another streaming device (as far as I can tell) but uses Apple's intuitive user friendly interface's. Just throwing this one out there, I really do not know much about apple TV.

FM, I think you're "doubled-up" in a way. If you wanted to stream the SqueezeCenter, the Transporter is the best-sounding way to do so (although for $2k...and I know your Modwright is even more...I'm an advocate of $150 for a Duet Receiver and say ~$1k for any number of good external DACs...PSA, Benchmark, MF, etc.). However, if you want to move over to an iTunes/Mac-based system, I would say just keeping the Transporter around as the DAC is a waste. Do you really feel it is the DAC around...or just the best DAC for a streamer? I would have to strongly suggest I feel it is the latter.

The Modwright is likely to have a good re-sale value. I mean if you want to keep it around, I guess that is your prerogative; but again, for iTunes/Apple-based systems, many are using ATV/MacMini/iPod Touch as their front-end, into good, external DACs with great result.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #4 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks CD, I agree I would be "doubled-up" if I added the Mac-mini. I doubt i will let the Transporter go any time soon. I am actually pretty happy with my current set-up (streaming in music from my iMac) I am just fishing for future ways to grow.

I really like the video-less interface that I get with the Transporter, and don't want to loose that. What I would like is to have the option of connecting my TV into the mix so it could display a "visualizer" and provide some sound sensitive eye-candy to compliment the whole thing. That's not something I would use all the time, just every once in a while... like at a party or something. It would also be nice to have the visual interface of something like "cover-flow" when making music selections on a big display. Yes, I do like iTunes, but I am not completely sold on it... if it had support for FLAC, I would like it even more.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #5 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I use my ipod touch as a remote for the Transporter and can search by album, artist, etc. and get full album art. WAY COOL!
post #6 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use my ipod touch as a remote for the Transporter and can search by album, artist, etc. and get full album art. WAY COOL!

Works with the Transporter???? No way, really? what software to run it? Are you using SqueezeCenter via iTunes? Details my friend, I need details...

Thanks

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #7 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Liked: 10
I will have to agree that coverflow is a pretty cool feature, but I tend to agree with CDLehner. If you want true coverflow through a Mac/Apple interface you would be money ahead to sell your MW Tp. With the money you probably have in your Transporter, you can get ATV, use the same drives you are now for the TP, have Max convert them all the ALAC, and buy a $2500 external DAC and be at a break even. Then, if you have an iPod touch or iPhone you even have an interactive remote control.

It's funny, I now find iTunes missing some features I like that Squeezecenter has. The big one was MusicIP. Of course iTunes now has Genius, but I still don't think Genius is as customizable as MusicIP. On the flip side you have nothing to configure in Genius. The next best example would be genre tagging. I multi-tag almost everything. As an example of what I like about multi-tagging: when I am listening to Elliot Smith I can hyperlink myself to a list of Indie artists, Folk aritists, or guitarists. I can go from Smith to Wes Montgomery then to Miles Davis as I listen in Squeezecenter without actually deciding that first. I have yet to do that in iTunes.

Of course, iTunes has some of the best UI features I have seen. The ability of Apple's software to sort through GB's and TB's of data is really quite something. I can make a playlist of songs that are under 120 seconds much more quickly than I can in SC 7. The ability to sorth through an entire collection that quickly is something I don't think Squeezecenter can equal iTunes at doing. So, I do understand why you might yearn for some of the Apple software features as well. But, ultimately SC is open source. Even now it is more customizable than iTunes and it will only grow in that regard.

-Michael
post #8 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Works with the Transporter???? No way, really? what software to run it? Are you using SqueezeCenter via iTunes? Details my friend, I need details...

Thanks

I would assume Rydenfan is using something along these lines: iPeng. It is what I use.

Enjoy that, it does get you very close.

-Michael
post #9 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Funk
Thanks for the new thread!

As an aside, what does everyone think of the Sonos? I'm looking at a Cullen modified Sonos Zp90, Zone bridge, and Zone player 120 for the bedroom. I love the interface, and want something as an interim (who knows could be my long term transport) until I can get the "new" MW transporter.

Has anyone had any experience with the Sonos?
Thanks
Mark
post #10 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm new to the whole music server thang, but I'm a pretty quick study of technological things, so here is how I see it at the moment.

What is the Slim Devices Transporter? It's a device that is intended to stream music from a computer or server to your home stereo system. It includes good quality DACs, an assortment of digital outs, and a basic fluorescent display on the face of the unit to see what's playing and to make other selections. It also allows for streaming of inet radio.

The SD Transporter makes sense when A) your computer / server is located away from your AV rack, B) you use something other than iTunes to manage your music files and C) you need good DACs to process the digital signal before it is sent to a preamp.

Since I use a laptop as my primary computer, which has far too little HD space to hold all the music files I plan to store and I don't use a desktop PC of any sort that would have the space for larger hard drives, I purchased a mac mini and two external HD's to store all of my music files on.

Now I could have tucked the mac mini system away in my den and put a slim devices transporter in the AV rack. Or I could have used an apple TV, or I believe I could even use an Apple Airport to get the wi-fi streamed audio from the mac mini server to my prepro.

However, I got to thinking, the mac mini and the two HD's are small enough to put right in my rack and it cuts out the middleman (a streaming device like the transporter).

Plus, I can send the video out from the mac mini to my prepro (which is then sent to my TV) so that I have a much more user-friendly graphical iTunes interface that I can view on my TV. And if I want to take something like Pandora for a spin, I can do that too. I don't believe the SD Transporter allows access to websites like Pandora and if your rack is enclosed like mine, it would be less convenient to use its fluorescent display as an interface.

Plus, I can expand the ease of use of an Apple iTunes based music server in the future by purchasing an ipod touch to use as a portable graphical interface. This sort of thing comes in handy when you are entertaining guests and don't want to have to go to the room with the TV to make a new selection.

Besides, in my case the much of what you pay for with the SD Transporter (high quality audio components) is at best redundant, and at worst inferior to sending the digital signal directly to my Classe prepro. While it is clear that Logitech has put a lot of effort into making the Transporter suitable for an audiophile system, it just doesn't make sense if you can hardwire the digital out directly from the server to a high-end prepro like the Classe. Logitech is after all a computer peripheral company and Classe specializes in high-end audio equipment. Which one you gonna put your money on for having the better DACs and analog output stage?

Now if you were running a two channel pre, like the Modwright, you needed a good DAC to feed it your streamed music, the SD Transporter is the way to go.
post #11 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Plus, I can send the video out from the mac mini to my prepro (which is then sent to my TV) so that I have a much more user-friendly graphical iTunes interface that I can view on my TV. And if I want to take something like Pandora for a spin, I can do that too. I don't believe the SD Transporter allows access to websites like Pandora and if your rack is enclosed like mine, it would be less convenient to use its fluorescent display as an interface.

Sponge, couple of comments: one, I would say that hooking the video out from the Mac Mini, to your TV so that you can control the GUI, is one of the reason most looking for an audio-only solution do not like using a PC to stream music; I happen to agree with the notion who wants to turn the TV on when you're listening to music, and with certain systems there is no way to navigate without it. OTOH, if you happen to consider it a plus, then PC direct is obviously the easiest and most cost-effective way to go.

The Transporter (as well as all SB devices) does support Pandora. And as far as controlling the Transporter once it's inside your rack, and out of IR reach, that's where the new (Duet) Controller comes into play! I've had SB devices for many years now, and IMO the remote was a necessary evil; great product, so you tolerated the remote. Well, the new Controller, which does work with the Transporter, is a big leap forward; it's got an LCD screen, for navigation and cover art, and it's wireless. However, in general, I agree wholeheartedly with you; rather than spend $2k on a Transporter, I'd much rather get the $150 (Duet) Receiver...because as you said, all it needs to do is get the music, either wired or wireless, from here to there...and then spend anywhere from ~$500 to the balance of $1850 on a great, external DAC (which in fact, I did). IMO, you're going to get anywhere from the same to much better SQ at the same, or as much as a third of the price.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #12 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Tim,

First off, you are spot-on with your assesment of the TP. I came to the same conclusion pretty quickly and immediately started looking at my options. For me, the upgrade path to the MW was simply what took me that way. I completely understand why you have chosen the route you have. It makes complete sense, especially since I imagine you will be using the fancy multi-channel processing of your Classe SP-800, bringing your stereo music to you in 5.1. I know how much you enjoyed Logic7 on your Lexicon, so I am just expecting you will go with the Classe equivalent.

The biggest thing that kept me off the ATV/Mini path is I don't want my TV on when I am listening to music. And I have my AV equimpment on an easily viewable rack (sometime down the road on my easily viewable plasma stand). Plus, I have no interest in taking my stereo stuff and broadening it to MC. I have never heard it pulled off so far (though I have never listened to Logic7 critically).

I am going to have to disagree with your assesment of Logitech vs Classe though. No doubt, Classe makes wonderful gear, but Logitech bought Slim Devices out. SD was not a PC peripheral company. What you suggest would be like saying Revel surely cannot build speakers because they are owned by what is, primarily, the parent corp of Pre/pro & Amp companies. This assesment of Revel would be ridiculous. Slim Devices employed many digital geniuses and whereas I won't endorse the first product developed under the Logitech name, I will wholeheartedly do so on a product designed before the buyout. Saying that, it is still possible your Classe will out DAC the TP DAC. The Classe will certainly do the Multichannel and Sub crossings better with a digital input than through an analog one. So, again I understand your decision. It is the best choice for you.

-Michael
post #13 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

I dont use itunes at all for my TP since everything is FLAC. I use ipeng software. It works very well, but will be even better soon. Right now it is a download but I am currently (along with others) beta testing the software as a native app for him Once that is completed it will be available through the App Store.
post #14 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well said Michael. The MW mod is the main reason I went with the TP as well. Other wise I would have stuck with my original plan of mini -> Onkyo and let their Burr-browns to the DAC, and wham-O tasty tunes served-up simple and sweet. But as is my usual way with things, I research, and research and look for the best. Which usually entails some over-complication on my part, but I am used to that. And like you I am interested in only a two channel (for music) solution.

...and thanks for the iPeng link.

I haven't delved into MusicIP yet, but it sounds like it might be along the lines of something I am looking for. Thanks.

Tim- again, I agree with what Michael said about your decision on your set-up. It aligns perfectly with what my own original plan was (except yours electronics are of a much higher grade than my plan called for ) I think that is going to work great. Did mention what format you are going to rip your music into?

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #15 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont use itunes at all for my TP since everything is FLAC. I use ipeng software. It works very well, but will be even better soon. Right now it is a download but I am currently (along with others) beta testing the software as a native app for him Once that is completed it will be available through the App Store.

I remember when you told me about using the iPod-touch/iPhone as a remote, I guess I just assumed that you were using it to control your computer... which is what Tim will be doing with his set-up.

Thanks
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #16 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Funk, I had meant to give you the link in my last post to you

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/
post #17 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well said Michael. The MW mod is the main reason I went with the TP as well. Other wise I would have stuck with my original plan of mini -> Onkyo and let their Burr-browns to the DAC, and wham-O tasty tunes served-up simple and sweet. But as is my usual way with things, I research, and research and look for the best. Which usually entails some over-complication on my part, but I am used to that. And like you I am interested in only a two channel (for music) solution.

...and thanks for the iPeng link.

I haven't delved into MusicIP yet, but it sounds like it might be along the lines of something I am looking for. Thanks.

Tim- again, I agree with what Michael said about your decision on your set-up. It aligns perfectly with what my own original plan was (except yours electronics are of a much higher grade than my plan called for ) I think that is going to work great. Did mention what format you are going to rip your music into?

Michael & Greg -

I hope I didn't come off too strong, I was only trying to state that given my situation, going hardwire digital to the prepro and using Apple itunes as the interface made the most sense *for me*. I also get why both of you would choose the Transporter as your solution.

Now that I no longer have the Lex and the Logic 7, my music listening will mainly be a two-channel affair, though because it is dependant on a sub as well, again it makes the most sense for me to go with a straight digital connection rather than having an outboard DAC or a device with one in it.

Funk - I was planning on taking the easy route and just ripping everything in Apple Lossless. I'd really rather not have to deal with a learning curve, but if FLAC or something else is better for some reason, please advise.
post #18 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Tim,

Nah, you were fine. I probably came across as an avenger for Slim Devices there, lol. On the FLAC v ALAC front, using iTunes it would be tedious to utilize FLAC as your ripped file format. ALAC is bit-for-bit perfect just like FLAC is, but is natively supported by iTunes. FLAC, on the other hand, is natively supported by the TP/Squeezecenter. In order for you to use FLAC you would have to run a script within iTunes to convert to ALAC on the fly since iTunes doesn't have a codec for FLAC presently. ALAC all the way, in other words. In fact, for those that intend to use Lossless files on our iPods, ALAC would be a better option than FLAC. The difference between FLAC and ALAC on the Transporter is completely non-existant whereas the same cannot be said on the Apple front. I love Apple, but they really don't want you using anything that isn't proprietary to them.

-Michael
post #19 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

edit: Michael beat me to the punch on most of this...

I really don't know that FLAC is any better (or worse) than Apple Lossless. I chose FLAC because it was native on the TP, Apple Lossless would have worked just as well. I did read somewhere that FLAC files are slightly smaller than Apple Lossless but I am not sure that, that is true. (something to consider when ripping 1500 CD's though) If you are going to use iTunes (ONLY) for your interface, I would stick with Apple Lossless. iTunes is the only one that Lossless works natively on (that I know of), everything else (if there is anything) that can utilize Apple Lossless converts the files to WAV, or something (I think this is part of Apple's plan for world domination ). and I am a devote' , fanboy, advocate, and shareholder for Apple!

If my situation changes I can always use MAX to convert the FLAC files to something else.

...and no you didn't come off too strong. I started this tread for all of us to find out more about what options there are, and what's best for each of us...

hopefully we will get some input from some server geniuses out there.

Cheers,
Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #20 of 98 Old 10-25-2008, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, what is "ATV"? Don't know that acronym yet.
post #21 of 98 Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 AM

I was using it to denote Apple TV.

-Michael
post #22 of 98 Old 10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenamc View Post

I was using it to denote Apple TV.

-Michael

Shoot, I was hoping it was something a little more exciting, like All Terrain Video.

Thanks!
post #23 of 98 Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funk, I had meant to give you the link in my last post to you

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/

Cool- thanks

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #24 of 98 Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shoot, I was hoping it was something a little more exciting, like All Terrain Video.

Thanks!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #25 of 98 Old 10-26-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are you guys using external CD/DVD drives to make the rips? Or the stock drive built in the computer?

I am still using the stock drive in the iMac and, MAN, that thing is S L O W sometimes... most of the time it is pretty good but every once in a while I come across a disk that takes an hour(or more) to rip...

Another thing (and this has been reported elsewhere) I have found the occasional disk that when ripped to FLAC using MAX, set to CD Paranoia, I get nothing but white noise when I try to play it back... So far I have only come across The Lee "Scratch" Perry box set that didn't work with the CD Paranoia setting. The iTunes ripper worked fine for mp4 (128kbps) for iPod use. I haven't gone back to re-rip it yet using one of the other rippers in MAX, though I am told that they should work... just an occasional quirk of CD Paranoia.

There have been a couple of other disks that won't rip, period! My iMac just spits them back out at me... and some that iTunes won't touch, but MAX is okay with... WEIRD!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #26 of 98 Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Funk, I thought I got you off of the internal drive months ago

I use an external drive for a couple of reasons. First, I had so many discs to burn that I did not want to burn out my internal drive. I found a great external drive for like $60 ( will find the link for you). The other major reason was burn times. I was averaging about 12-15 minutes a disc with my internal burner; I know average 2-4 minutes with the external MAJOR time savings over the course of hundreds of discs.
post #27 of 98 Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, you did... kind of. I searched around and found a LaCie DVD drive that would work on both my iMac and my wife's HP. Her's will read but won't burn anymore, so a multi platform solution made the most sense to me... I am sure there are many others but that one got some good reviews, and specificaly stated that it would work for both Mac and Windows OS machines. It has been out of stock for the last month (everywhere I found a listing for that model)... Just got a notice today that it is back in stock, so I may order one up, or might just stick it out on the internal... still not sure. (my wife says I spend too much money on this stuff already )

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #28 of 98 Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just came across this page via Wikipedia: Comparing lossless encoders.. interesting stuff, much of it I had learned already (from various sources) which led me to the decision to encode my CD's in FLAC... and I learned some new stuff too. great resource to have all in one place...

Tim, I thought this might be beneficial for you before you get started.

Cheers,
Greg

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #29 of 98 Old 10-31-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just came across this page via Wikipedia: Comparing lossless encoders.. interesting stuff, much of it I had learned already (from various sources) which led me to the decision to encode my CD's in FLAC... and I learned some new stuff too. great resource to have all in one place...

Tim, I thought this might be beneficial for you before you get started.

Cheers,
Greg

Thank Greg. Going to read it right now.

PS - got my two Mini 750GB HDs yesterday and will have the Mac Mini on Monday. It will probably be a week or so before I will have the chance to set it up though. I have to strip my rack and install a new cooling system.
post #30 of 98 Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems that FLAC is the clear winner, but being new to this, can I store those FLAC files in iTunes? I really want to have a nice user-friendly interface to manage my library.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page