Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

1. Yes, has both 50 & 60 settings in video output.
2. Yes 100-240/50-60hz Need adapter for pins.
3. don't think so.

Thanks a lot. You've been very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 06:41 AM

Incidentally, has anyone noticed any audio/video sync issues on some files? I can't recall which file types I was viewing when this happened, but on more than one occasion, I noticed some definite problems with sound not matching the visuals. (Pausing/unpausing fixed the issue, however.)
post #273 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonoob View Post

Mine plays 1080p mkvs just fine.

So far I've tested about 25 MKV format movies, 1080p rips from usenet. About 2/3 work perfectly. A couple are completely unwatchable with massive blocking or stuttering. Rest have intermittent blocking artifacts that are too annoying. This is a big issue and I'm on the fence about whether to keep it. But my HTPC can't handle any 1080p, intel integrated video is weak. Ugh.

I tested about 20 MKV format movies, 720 rips from usenet, they ALL play fine. It seems that some people use more aggressive encoding options for 1080p and that is causing problems.
post #274 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigton View Post

(Pausing/unpausing fixed the issue, however.)

I'm pretty used to this because of how Philips Divx/USB dvd players work...common occurrence and fix on them as well... would be nice if WD fixed this, but after including 4-5 of the features others have listed in this thread already (sequential file playback option inside of a folder, able to use mkv encoded subs w/o extracting srt, etc etc)

Another nice blog review of this player...

http://topnotch.net/blog/2008/11/02/...-unboxing-pix/
post #275 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkunitzero View Post

its reading isos for me just fine. i am disappointed that it doesn't do embedded subs for mkvs.

are your iso's just the movie in a iso format or the whole disc directory? all my iso are either full disc dvd or blu ray backup. i believe it will play iso if its just the movie not a full disc.
post #276 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM

Shouldn't the vobs play continuously if you put them in the same folder?
post #277 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot View Post

are your iso's just the movie in a iso format or the whole disc directory? all my iso are either full disc dvd or blu ray backup. i believe it will play iso if its just the movie not a full disc.

I realize this question isn't directed at me; however, my personal experience with the 4 ISOs that I tested -- it played them all with no problems -- were complete DVD rips made with DVD Decrypter.
post #278 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 AM

Thinking of this unit, a small HTPC, or a Playstation 3. My 21 year old son (does not live with us) is pushing me to get the PS3. Says it will do everything this does PLUS has the wireless to stream with and the USB ports to plug in a thumb drive or external HD... Any reason not to go the PS3 route? It can be had for a bit over $300.....
Oh, and it will play Blu-ray movies and browse the internet... Hmmmmmm
post #279 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM

I posted my issue with audio synching (actually audio drift over time and gets progressively worse overtime) with a XVId file encoded from a 1080i OTA broadcast....Has anyone else had this problem with their video file playback.

When I play that same file on my computer with VLC or KMPLayer ,I do not see the audio drift problem.

Just curious...
post #280 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post

See this review, the person who wrote it is experiencing the same issue/bug if you look down at his cons/negs

http://maddhat.com/?p=31

'A few miscellaneous issues:
Sometimes the video won't completely fill the screen at first. It's easily fixed by zooming in, then back out. But for some reason, the decoder just doesn't scale the video properly. This doesn't happen always. It seems to happen completely randomly. Once I zoomed in and out to fix it, it would play properly for the rest of the file. This issue is pretty annoying, and hopefully it can be fixed.'

I haven't had any zooming problems from the short time I've had the wdtv (knock on wood). Could this be a problem with your TVs? My tv has an Auto setting that adjusts to the signal coming in. Maybe you guys with the problems should try setting the input to FULL or whatever the standard resolution of the tv is.
post #281 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinv View Post

So far I've tested about 25 MKV format movies, 1080p rips from usenet. About 2/3 work perfectly. A couple are completely unwatchable with massive blocking or stuttering. Rest have intermittent blocking artifacts that are too annoying. This is a big issue and I'm on the fence about whether to keep it. But my HTPC can't handle any 1080p, intel integrated video is weak. Ugh.

I tested about 20 MKV format movies, 720 rips from usenet, they ALL play fine. It seems that some people use more aggressive encoding options for 1080p and that is causing problems.

I agree this is a big issue. The main reason I'm interested in this player is for HD, if it can't play a great many of the 1080p movies, that's a deal breaker for moi.

Harold
post #282 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM

It played the 3 .VOB files I tried last night with no issues. I'm going to return it today, however, since it won't play subtitles off of those .VOB files. This is a huge issue, since even with domestic films there are occasional subtitles which are an integral part of the story. And you have no idea when they're going to show up. I'm not liable to go through all of my DVDs and re-rip them to reformat the subtitles. Does anyone know if Popcorn Hour will read them off .VOB files?
post #283 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qthai99 View Post

I haven't had any zooming problems from the short time I've had the wdtv (knock on wood). Could this be a problem with your TVs? My tv has an Auto setting that adjusts to the signal coming in. Maybe you guys with the problems should try setting the input to FULL or whatever the standard resolution of the tv is.

I doubt it have playted will all the setting on my optoma HD70 & the WDTV they both are set to 720P/60hz and no matter what I do it is magnify x2 then back to nomal and issue gone. Strange anyone else her having this issue?

Trying to figure out if i should return it for another one to A/B test
post #284 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM

I tried a .iso of a full dvd movie (menus, special features and all), and the WD TV will play the main movie, but nothing else. Additional audio tracks as well as subtitles are all accessible. Special features are not.

The big thing for me on this unit is the ability to set and play a video playlist, which it apparently cannot do yet.

Another major drawback is the inability to play multiple files in sequence. I loaded a folder full of playable files (xvid) and only the file you physically select in the menu will play. As soon as it stops, the unit reverts to the folder again.

The reason I wanted this unit is so I can rip all my existing TV and Cartoon DVDs onto it in individual files. Then, I could play an entire folder or a playlist of pre-selected vids continuously. Apparently, it can't do this yet.

Ah well, if anyone has a workaround, let me know. Otherwise, at least I have a month to wait to see if WD updates the firmware to address these issues. If not, back to Best Buy it goes!
post #285 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrettb View Post

It will work. If your receiver can decode audio via HDMI, then you should be getting full 5.1 through HDMI.

With my setup, I have the optical from my TV going to my AVR. So, if I have just the HDMI connected from the WD to my TV, and nothing else, would it still pass DD/DTS audio along via HDMI, which my TV would then send along to the AVR via its optical connection with the TV? Or will I be forced to take the optical away from my TV and use it on my WD? I only have one optical input on my receiver.
post #286 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigton View Post

Which would be doable with a somewhat inelegant workaround: Just buy an X10 remote power switch for about $20. I've got one that has a remote and four power receptacles. I use one of them to do power-cycles of my wireless router when it's acting up. Saves a lot of running up and down stairs.

My idea was to plug the WD TV into the switched power plug on the back of an AVR, that way it's only getting power when the AVR is on.

post #287 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logon2008 View Post

Reviewer writes:
---------------------
"I hooked up an external drive to this unit with a Ethernet port. Dragged and dropped divx files from my pc to my drive and it automatically saw the videos without having to power cycle...
---------------------
Can anyone figure out what drive this guy has?
Is it some NAS with USB port? AFAIK, this port on NAS is usually for USB printer. In our case, we need concurrent (or may be switched) access to NAS as a client via USB port. He claims "without having to power cycle..."

I want to know this info as well. I purchased a WD, but I'm waiting to set it up because this is exactly what I'm looking to do.
post #288 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thet do
post #289 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts0004 View Post

So, if I have just the HDMI connected from the WD to my TV, and nothing else, would it still pass DD/DTS audio along via HDMI, which my TV would then send along to the AVR via its optical connection with the TV?

same setup I am using as I test this thing out.

the audio passes fine (via optical out from my Sammy) to my avr and in 5.1, if available. . . but if I keep the unit, I will climb behind my equipment rack and give the WD HD a permanent HDMI input to my AVR (4 HDMI inputs on it, Onkyo) and only rely upon the HDMI connection for audio.

I would have done the later setup with hdmi right to my avr, if true-hd , dts-ma , 7.1 was avail for pass through and decode (by the avr of course) from the get go.

Quote:

thank you for that info... same situation, just haven't had time to test my various mkv's i've collected over the past yr ... so this is pretty helpful in my overall evaluation. I agree, scene standards haven't really been set for mkv rls's (at least not that I know of, and by no means am I claiming to be part of 'the scene') thus adding to a wild west full of variations in 1080p rips/encodes...

...however, mkv is such a versatile container, I find it still pretty impressive that the WD is playing a good amt of folks melting pot of mkv's out there (that are L4.1 and not L5.1)
post #290 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

My idea was to plug the WD TV into the switched power plug on the back of an AVR, that way it's only getting power when the AVR is on.

I have a WD My Passport 320GB attached. When powered off, I could feel the external hdd spin for a while. And then I checked back later, the hdd seems to feel completely silent (although the indicator light in the back still on). So, I think I am pretty alright with just having the WD TV in standby...

But I experienced a problem last nite with the WD TV failed to power on from the remote. I hope this does not happen frequently...
post #291 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 AM

For those having problems playing some 1080p AVC files, the rule seems to be that the width X height X # of ref frames must be equal to or less than 8,294,400 for them to play well on the WD player (1920*1080*4). I posted about this a couple of days ago over here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929-30.html#1904507
if you're interested.
post #292 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM

So there's no way to network connect, or anyway to FTP to the drive, I don't want to move the thing back and forth just to put files on it if I elect to to get one.
post #293 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

So there's no way to network connect, or anyway to FTP to the drive, I don't want to move the thing back and forth just to put files on it if I elect to to get one.

You don't move the unit. You move whatever USB storage device you have connected to it.
post #294 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayesFSS View Post

It's cheap, plays all the video ph does, less than 1/2 the price, available locally so no paying shipping, much much bigger name. Most people do not have a NAs, adn if they do most are not over 1-2 TB which can easily be eaten up by Usenet. Just keeping a computer as the main downloader and moving movies over to a different drive to watch is wicked easy and will even save energy because you won't have to keep all your **** on all the time. I'm still stunned as to why anyone wouldn't be interested unless they've already payed for a ph.

Well, I'm not just comparing it against PH; PH just happened to be what one of the early posters compared it to, in saying he thought that was a better choice. I'm comparing it against PH, Netgear, TViX, XBMC, PS3, and all the other popular streamers out there. Granted, most of those machines cost a little more (although NetGear and XBMC doesn't), but I think in some cases they do a little more too; namely, they are networkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayesFSS View Post

You keep saying it doesn't offer anything new, well you've been overlooking the fact that it's available right down the road for most of us. Is much much cheaper and is a company that people have heard of, all of these things the ph is not. While it's one of the best network media tanks, a lot of people don't want to spend that much to see if it will work for all of our movies.

OK, again, I don't have a horse in this race, so I don't want to continue to argue, but if your case for it is "it's cheap and you can buy it locally", ok...conceded. But when I say it doesn't offer anything new, I mean capabilities-wise; not the fact that you don't have to pay shipping for it.

As for WD being an established company...not when it comes to media streamers they're not. Frankly, you are making my point for me; I said this was a cheap, cute, little box for new streamers to try out. You said, by way of argument, almost exactly the same thing: "While it's one (and I assume you meant to say while it's not one) of the best network media tanks, a lot of people don't want to spend that much to see if it will work for all of our movies". So again, you're agreeing it's not as good as some others, but it is a less expensive way to try something that might work for your streaming needs. And if the subsequent posts, after only 5 days from the OP, are any indication, it doesn't seem to be working out all that well for them. Even after many of them are involved in the very un-nontechnical (in response to your argument that this device was for nontechnical types) processes of remuxing, reformatting, re-zooming, and the such.

I just don't get it. Yes, it was cheap; but even an inexpensive product is a waste of money if it doesn't do what you want, or is going to be obsolete in about 4 minutes.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #295 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:

What is your setup? WD TV to TV or reciever? etc.
post #296 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 AM

List of compatible USB devices (not only HDD) on WD website:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ers.search_fnl

Even more here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ers.search_fnl
post #297 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios View Post

Is vc1 in a .ts or .m2ts confirmed?

Someone said There Will Be Blood (vc1) .m2ts didn't work...

I've tried a bunch of VC1 WMV files. None worked I have many of these. Sucks! Anyone figure out how to play these?
post #298 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I got noticeable blocking with 1080p files on my TV in the front room (JVC 56" HD-ILA 1080p), then moved it to my game room TV which is a Sony 50" SXRD 1080p. The settings on the unit on both TV's were set to 1080p 60hz. I have no idea why it blocks on my JVC, but I did have problems with it when I was running my computer on the JVC with a DVI > HDMI adapter, and running 18xx X 9xx resolution @ 60hz. The problems were less intermittent, but still noticeable even as low as 30hz with my computer when hooked up to the JVC. Point being, it could be your TV.
post #299 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot View Post

I tried both and they play just fine with anydvd and dvd shrink.

I just noticed a problem with my WD TV, when I turn it off (power button on remote) it sometimes fails to power back up unless I unplug it. Quite annoying, anyone else experiencing the same?
post #300 of 9960 Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkunitzero View Post

I tried both and they play just fine with anydvd and dvd shrink.

I just noticed a problem with my WD TV, when I turn it off (power button on remote) it sometimes fails to power back up unless I unplug it. Quite annoying, anyone else experiencing the same?

Happened once to me last night... I read that someone else also have the same problems...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page