*New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 9960 Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, newbie here. I'm confused about something and really need to know something before I buy this device.

My DVD Home Theater has only one HDMI out and No optical sound capabilities. My Philips LCD has 4 HDMI inputs.

What would be the best option for me to get the highest quality video and sound? Will it work if I connect the WD TV to my LCD through HDMI and connect WD TV to my Home Theater through composite? (HT is connected to the LCD TV through HDMI).

Or would you recommend any other setup? I'd appreciate if you could give me some opinions on this. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9960 Old 11-09-2008, 04:38 PM

My DVD player broke in my minivan and I've been looking for something new to play my kids' movies with. I bought this last week and completed the install over the weekend. It's nice that it's 12V so that I didn't need a brick to connect it to my van's power supply. I've been been running it with and 8GB flash drive and so far it's great for my application. Will probably buy a passport next. The only downside I've found is that I need to make sure that I don't have any DTS encoded files as it won't play those out the analog ports.

I also have a popcorn hour for my main home theater and although this thing doesn't have as many features, I would say that it's great for the price!
post #363 of 9960 Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouse View Post

My DVD player broke in my minivan and I've been looking for something new to play my kids' movies with. I bought this last week and completed the install over the weekend. It's nice that it's 12V so that I didn't need a brick to connect it to my van's power supply. I've been been running it with and 8GB flash drive and so far it's great for my application. Will probably buy a passport next. The only downside I've found is that I need to make sure that I don't have any DTS encoded files as it won't play those out the analog ports.

I also have a popcorn hour for my main home theater and although this thing doesn't have as many features, I would say that it's great for the price!

Two things... first, download the popcorn hour video converter. It can transcode DTS audio to AC3 quickly without touching the video. Second, I'm not sure I'd put a hard drive in a vehicle... vibration, even though it may seem minor, seems like a recipe for early drive failure.

post #364 of 9960 Old 11-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Can anyone tell me how the subtitles are filled in the screen?
Is it IN the movie or below? Can you move it up or down?
Can someone make a screenshot of it?
post #365 of 9960 Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 PM

Ok I thought this thing can play PS3AVCHD Files, I extracted the mt2s stream file and it plays the video fine but Audio which is DTS stops after a bit? Has anyone else had this problem?
post #366 of 9960 Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post

Are you saying dvr-ms is supported for playing?

Martin

I'm able to play dvr-ms files that were created by GB-PVR, a program I use to record HD programs (http://www.gbpvr.com/), but I could not fast forward or reverse (pause/resume is ok).

I don't know if it makes any difference that the only USB drive I have at this point is an 8GB thumb drive.
post #367 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 AM

I've been using mine for about a week. I was using a refurb Philips DVD player with USB port to play files off an 8gb DOS formatted thumb drive, but was running into the 4gb file ceiling. Nice to have all my files on a 750gb drive and just hit play. I tried a Buffalo 1tb RAID drive formatted to HFS+ journaled, but the WD wouldn't recognize it. Dumped all my videos to a WD 750GB I had lying around. There was an initial hiccup where I'd hit play on VIDEO_TS/.mp4/.avi files and nothing happened. Reset the player and it recognizes almost everything I've thrown at it in Media Library mode, even some 720 .mkv files. It choked on my ISO of Brazil (two seconds of video, then pixelated skips), but I extracted the VIDEO_TS files and those played just fine. Interface is snappy; able to shuffle between alternate audio tracks without a hitch. Unable to turn off English subtitles on the Family Guy Star Wars Special for some reason, but no big deal because my 5-year-old is learning to read anyway and she prefers subtitles.

Pushed via HDMI to my Sanyo PLVZ2000 and a 120" screen, this looks great. Very satisfied for my $99. This will tide me over until I either put an HTPC together, or there's an AppleTV that will play everything I have without having to hack it.
post #368 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinv View Post

I have at least one that exceed that range and plays normally.
Miami Vice.2006.1080p.mkv, 12.2gb, 1920x800, 6 reframes = 9216000

Checking the other 1080p files that played normally, they do fall below 8294400. Typically 1920x800 with 4 or 5 reframes, High@L4.1

The ones that are somewhat to very garbled were encoded at High@L5.1

Does not play correctly:
Superbad.2007.1080p.mkv, 7.9gb, 1920x1040, 5 reframes = 9984000
Life of Brian.1979.1080p.mkv, 7.9gb, 1920x1040, 5 reframes

Others have 8, 10 even 12 reframes... too complicated for this box. Any chance the number of reframes it handles can be upped through a firmware patch (assuming WD is going to continue supporting theset things, maybe not) - or is it a hardware limitation? If so I imagine Popcorn Hour owners would have the same problem since they both use the Sigma 8635.

Correct. It's SDK related. But Sigma made a workaround in their SDK to give some minor support for High@L5.1 profile
post #369 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatel View Post

Can anyone tell me how the subtitles are filled in the screen?
Is it IN the movie or below? Can you move it up or down?
Can someone make a screenshot of it?

When playing a movie I pulled off of one of my DVDs, the subtitles loaded up exactly as they look when the physical DVD plays in a DVD player. They appeared at the bottom of my screen. I did not try to move the subtitles, but I don't know that I saw anything along the way that would suggest it's an option, either.
post #370 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xintensex View Post

Ok I thought this thing can play PS3AVCHD Files, I extracted the mt2s stream file and it plays the video fine but Audio which is DTS stops after a bit? Has anyone else had this problem?

similar occurrence with Tranformers 2 part 18 gig AVCHD , didn't happen through 9 gig Rambo (new one) , but hiccuped again on a 9 gig rip of Apocalypto about 1 hour in

all avchd extracted to mt2s and put on to a seagate NTFS 7200 32mb drive.
post #371 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts0004 View Post

When playing a movie I pulled off of one of my DVDs, the subtitles loaded up exactly as they look when the physical DVD plays in a DVD player. They appeared at the bottom of my screen. I did not try to move the subtitles, but I don't know that I saw anything along the way that would suggest it's an option, either.

Thanks!
That would be great because with aspect ratio 2.35:1 it is very annoying to see the subs in the movie.

Can anyone try this with a xvid or mkv movie?
post #372 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Regarding the power cycle issue (that it doesn't power on from the remote and has to power cycle it), I contacted WD and they got back to me saying that I should have it replaced from the store I bought it from...

Is it true that only a small number of us get this power cycle problem?
post #373 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts0004 View Post

I think alcatel was talking about SRTs.. DVD subtitles are images and their position is fixed.
post #374 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namartlu View Post

Regarding the power cycle issue (that it doesn't power on from the remote and has to power cycle it), I contacted WD and they got back to me saying that I should have it replaced from the store I bought it from...

Is it true that only a small number of us get this power cycle problem?

I have the power cycle issue, 3x in the last 4 days. I haven't tried resetting it yet, but if that does not work I'm exchanging it. Otherwise it's a great addition to my movie viewing experience.
post #375 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpalomine View Post

I have the power cycle issue, 3x in the last 4 days. I haven't tried resetting it yet, but if that does not work I'm exchanging it. Otherwise it's a great addition to my movie viewing experience.

Thanks wpalomine for replying so I know I am not alone. I tried resetting it, it won't help. Too bad Bestbuy is backordered on this now so I couldnt' get an easy exchange... I will wait a bit and see...
post #376 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Question if i have a hard drive attached to one of the usb port on the wd tv, can i plug a usb drive into the other port and copy whats on the usb drive to the hard drive or do i have to take the hard drive and upload them via my pc?
post #377 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Question if i have a hard drive attached to one of the usb port on the wd tv, can i plug a usb drive into the other port and copy whats on the usb drive to the hard drive or do i have to take the hard drive and upload them via my pc?

Dont' seem to have this feature for the time being, I believe...
post #378 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post

similar occurrence with Tranformers 2 part 18 gig AVCHD , didn't happen through 9 gig Rambo (new one) , but hiccuped again on a 9 gig rip of Apocalypto about 1 hour in

all avchd extracted to mt2s and put on to a seagate NTFS 7200 32mb drive.

Damn I hope there is a fix for this soon ??
post #379 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if you can connect to a USB port on your PC and access media files from any HDD in the PC?

Thx
bnw
post #380 of 9960 Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namartlu View Post

Thanks wpalomine for replying so I know I am not alone. I tried resetting it, it won't help. Too bad Bestbuy is backordered on this now so I couldnt' get an easy exchange... I will wait a bit and see...

Got another follow-up email from WD that the symtom seem to be thermal related. Well, I haven't removed the plastic wrap from the player yet... (thinking that I might return it and wanted it to look nice if I do...) Anyway, I removed the plastic wrap now, hope the problem goes away...
post #381 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey for those using a western digital passport external hard drive when you turn off the wd tv does it also turn of the drive attached or does it put it in standbuy?

Also can someone try this in dvd shrink make an iso image(make sure in pref., you dont split into 1 gig chunks)

After the iso is made using the command line to rename the iso to mpeg and check if it will play that and what the quality is like
post #382 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 AM

I have no longer a AV receiver and my question is, will I get sound through
the hdmi from my tv when playing a dolby digital avi/mkv? Will the
output be pcm converted from DD.
post #383 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman77 View Post

I have no longer a AV receiver and my question is, will I get sound through
the hdmi from my tv when playing a dolby digital avi/mkv? Will the
output be pcm converted from DD.

You will get sound (I ran the HDMI directly to my Toshiba LCD). Not sure about the rest of your question.......
post #384 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Hi, I extracted srt file from MKV because the media player does not recognize embedded srt or ass files. When I display the subtitle from the extracted srt file it shows up on the screen roughly at 40% height from the bottom. This is annoying. I don't see any obvious setting in the option menu to lower the position of the subtitles. Anyone having the same issue as me, or have a solution? Thanks.
post #385 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm0325 View Post

Hi, I extracted srt file from MKV because the media player does not recognize embedded srt or ass files. When I display the subtitle from the extracted srt file it shows up on the screen roughly at 40% height from the bottom. This is annoying. I don't see any obvious setting in the option menu to lower the position of the subtitles. Anyone having the same issue as me, or have a solution? Thanks.

Does this only show in this particular mkv file or all other avi and mkv files?
Too bad, it isnt like BS player. So far thats the only player which you can easy move the subs up or down.
Maybe a mail to WD for a firmware upgrade.
post #386 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I think you push subtitle on the remote a couple times to get to location, then you can adjust it that way using the up/down arrows or right/left, not entirely sure.
post #387 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:

When you extracted the srt did you manage to get subtitles on the movie while playing it on the WD media player? How did you do that?

I have few MKVs on foreing languages that have subtitles when I play them on my PC, but show no subtitles when playing them on the WD HD media center.

I will appreciate any help on how to get subtitles to correctly appear on the WD HD media player.

Thanks
post #388 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatel View Post

Does this only show in this particular mkv file or all other avi and mkv files?
Too bad, it isnt like BS player. So far thats the only player which you can easy move the subs up or down.
Maybe a mail to WD for a firmware upgrade.

Hi, I've only had to deal with srt's for MKV files so I can't say if I have the same problem with AVI. I sure would like for WD to update their firmware to play embedded srt's or ass's.
post #389 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post

I think you push subtitle on the remote a couple times to get to location, then you can adjust it that way using the up/down arrows or right/left, not entirely sure.

Neat, where did you find that out? I'll try that when I get home. Thanks.
post #390 of 9960 Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv-newbie View Post

When you extracted the srt did you manage to get subtitles on the movie while playing it on the WD media player? How did you do that?

I have few MKVs on foreing languages that have subtitles when I play them on my PC, but show no subtitles when playing them on the WD HD media center.

I will appreciate any help on how to get subtitles to correctly appear on the WD HD media player.

Thanks

Here's how I did it. I renamed the srt filename to match the mkv. When I play the file I press the option button on the remote and then move over to the subtitle option to select it.

Just in case your problem may be with non-srt subtitle files you may have to convert them to srt. For example I have a few MKVs that have ass subtitle streams and when I extract them the media player does not recognize them.

You can use a utility program call DSRT to see which streams you have. If you do indeed have a ass file you can convert to srt from the same program. That's what I use.

Good luck.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page