*New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see a lot of people having problems with the remote. I have the same issues.

An email exchange with WD tech support states that a firmware update in the near future will correct that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvforme View Post

I see a lot of people having problems with the remote. I have the same issues.

An email exchange with WD tech support states that a firmware update in the near future will correct that problem.

I wonder whether it's the remote's problem, or actually it's the unit fails to respond some times. E.g. if I fastforward x16 for say... 3 mins, sometimes the unit simply does not respond to the remote, just keep fast forwarding.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does the "resume" feature work like my Time Warner PVR?

The PVR will always remember where I stoped a video.

I could have a dozen videos all partially watched and each video will resume right where it was stopped.

This feature is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Do you have to use the ArcSoft MediaConverter software to load the files onto your media drive? If not, is there any advantage to doing so?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter View Post

Does the "resume" feature work like my Time Warner PVR?

The PVR will always remember where I stoped a video.

I could have a dozen videos all partially watched and each video will resume right where it was stopped.

This feature is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

Yes, as long as you keep the hard drive plugged in, it can resume playback where you stopped it on any movies.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What happens if I remove the HD to add some new files?

Assuming you need to detach the HD to connect to a computer to transfer new videos.

Will I loose the saved "resume" points?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

I have two tvs I want to use this on. Do I need to get one device for each tv and then take files via usb drive to whatever one I want to watch it on? Is this almost like a glorified USB drive for a tv? I mean that in the best way just trying to get a feel for what this does as i`m new to this streaming stuff and looking for the best option right now...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You can carry the WD from one location to another without any hassles. To get those most enjoyment, use HDMI connection. Is this a glorified USB drive for tv? IMO, it's more like a mini(make that TINY!)-HTPC, minus the storage. Plug in most external USB drives with the supported media files (Music, Photos, Videos) and be prepared to be amazed! For $99 (earlier BB sale)I was floored! Now I can stream my media from WD HD TV via a 2' HDMI cable, instead of 25' HDMI and coaxial from HTPC to Onkyo 605. The presence of "ScottWD" representing the manufacturer in our forum, sweetens the deal.(BTW ScottWD, please hurry up and fix the remote problems and wer'e good to go).
Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter View Post

What happens if I remove the HD to add some new files?

Assuming you need to detach the HD to connect to a computer to transfer new videos.

Will I loose the saved "resume" points?

Yes.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
Question maybe some of you all can help me w/...

I have an MKV movie with DTS audio.

The unit is connected directly to my TV w/ just HDMI.

I am not getting any audio at all.

If I change the container to just mpeg4, and convert the audio to AAC stereo it is fine and I get sound.

Shouldn't something along the way (in the WD TV HD, or my TV itself) be able to take the DTS stream in that MKV file and convert it to something my HDTV can use though without re-encoding the audio?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
There is no internal DTS decoder so, as such, there is no way to decode a DTS stream. There is, however, a piece of software on the Popcorn Hour website that will convert DTS audio to AC3 without touching the container or video. That should fix your problem.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

There is no internal DTS decoder so, as such, there is no way to decode a DTS stream. There is, however, a piece of software on the Popcorn Hour website that will convert DTS audio to AC3 without touching the container or video. That should fix your problem.

Thanks, I saw that link in this thread but at the time didn't understand what they were talking about. Looks like it is Windows only. I can bootup VMware on my Mac and try it out though. Anyone know of a way to do this in OS X?

So when they say passthrough, it means if I run the optical cable to my DTS receiver it could decode the audio stream?

UPDATE: this seems to have some answers to my question about DTS to AC3 in OS X.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
A DTS capable AVR would be able to decode the DTS stream if passed over either optical or HDMI.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmarkowitz View Post

Thanks, I saw that link in this thread but at the time didn't understand what they were talking about. Looks like it is Windows only. I can bootup VMware on my Mac and try it out though. Anyone know of a way to do this in OS X?

So when they say passthrough, it means if I run the optical cable to my DTS receiver it could decode the audio stream?

UPDATE: this seems to have some answers to my question about DTS to AC3 in OS X.

I'm also a Mac user, I use the audioconverter from the popcorn site. I don't use it through VMWare though. I picked up CrossOver a couple weeks ago when they were giving it away free, audioconverter works perfectly with CrossOver.

I also wanted to thank Scott from WD for answering questions from the community.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:27 PM

I returned this, it doesn't handle any animation files well, or subtitles.

It fails to play wmv, some iso, and lots of other codecs.

Also lots of audio dropouts, and stuttering with 1080p.

I rather get a popcorn hour, that has frequently updated firmware, and networking so I dont have to keep moving back and forth computer to TV to add/delete files.

Plus plays 1080p files, more codecs, and has more inputs.

PLUS NETWORKING like I've said before.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:35 PM

The regular remote they give you sucks, and has no range. Take forever to navigate.

My Harmony remote worked 100x better then that remote, and was able to control the WD device with ease.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

The regular remote they give you sucks, and has no range. Take forever to navigate.

My Harmony remote worked 100x better then that remote, and was able to control the WD device with ease.

I programmed my Harmony 550 to fire up the LCD, switch to HDMI 2 and turn on the WDTV. At first things did not work completely. But after an email session to Logitech, the 550 now controls everything nicely.

I agree, the Harmony remote works better than the included remote.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 PM

What i experienced was way beyond most other users who seems to be able to navigate around the menues with some glitches.Like i said before,i had to press a button on the remote up to 100 times to get a response on the unit.This happened exactly the same on all 3 units that i tried.Today i went back and was going to try a 4th one but Best Buy did not have any more left.I am trying to become a customer and would overlook some of the other anomalies mentioned in this thread until new firmware is released but this product is just unusable right now.

If ScottWD is reading this there will be at least 3 returned units from Best Buy on La Brea i LA and i did not record the serial # on the first two but the third one had serial #WNT184002994 so you can take a look at that particular unit and see how bad it is.

We have clearance, Clarence.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM

The more I've played w/mine the more annoying glitches I've encountered. Not sure if a FW update will fix it, but right now this thing is not ready for prime time.

It did, however, wet my appetite for a media player. I've ordered the Popcorn Hour A-110 and will return the WD.

I still think the WD is a good device for the price, if they work out the current problems.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaindelon View Post

What i experienced was way beyond most other users who seems to be able to navigate around the menues with some glitches.Like i said before,i had to press a button on the remote up to 100 times to get a response on the unit.This happened exactly the same on all 3 units that i tried.Today i went back and was going to try a 4th one but Best Buy did not have any more left.I am trying to become a customer and would overlook some of the other anomalies mentioned in this thread until new firmware is released but this product is just unusable right now.

If ScottWD is reading this there will be at least 3 returned units from Best Buy on La Brea i LA and i did not record the serial # on the first two but the third one had serial #WNT184002994 so you can take a look at that particular unit and see how bad it is.

Um... that's weird. Please allow me to ask a silly question, did you remove the plastic wrap on the unit?

Or perhaps the whole batch from your local bestbuy have problems...
Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namartlu View Post

Um... that's weird. Please allow me to ask a silly question, did you remove the plastic wrap on the unit?

Or perhaps the whole batch from your local bestbuy have problems...

Yes i did,and i even tried brand new batteries of my own to no avail.

We have clearance, Clarence.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm using a Western Digital 320GB External HDD being controlled by RF from my Harmony 1000. I'm having two major issues.

I can't turn the unit on sometimes. I had to unplug the unit a few times before it would finally come on (By OEM remote provided and my RF connector). Is anyone having this same issue. (BTW where is a good place to put my rf cable on this unit? I can't find a solid spot on this unit with a consistent result of control)

And two I'm having issues of the WD hard drive connected to be recognized. It seems to have connections issues with my hard drive to be recognized. I turned off the unit and the HDD and after a few times powering on and off and switching the usb cable to slot 1 to 2 and vice versa, it finally picked it up. Very annoying especially when I not only bought the WD media streamer but also their external hard drive.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 AM

Did anyone ever figure out a NAS-enabled HDD that works with this media player?

If I could find one, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Has anyone had trouble reading from FAT32 external USB drive?

I have an external (powered) 160GB USB drive that works fine connected to PC, but when connected to WD TV Media player, it has strange problems. The first is, folder names are all non-printable characters and files simply don't show up. Second problems is, the unit displays "Storage cannot aggregate", with no further explanatory text. If it matters, I still have 20G of free space left on the drive. I don't know if these two are somehow related. I have no problems with viewing media from a USB flash key.

The tech support person insists that WD TV Player doesn't support regular internal 3.5" drive which are enclosed in external USB enclosure. I find that somehow hard to believe, otherwise I'd have read pretty harsh words on unit's capability on this forums . He further suggested to try and reformat the drive, but even my old Philips 5982 DVD player can read from the drive perfectly.

Anyone encountered similar problem?

TIA

P Adhia
Old 11-16-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

I returned this, it doesn't handle any animation files well, or subtitles.

It fails to play wmv, some iso, and lots of other codecs.

Also lots of audio dropouts, and stuttering with 1080p.

I rather get a popcorn hour, that has frequently updated firmware, and networking so I dont have to keep moving back and forth computer to TV to add/delete files.

Plus plays 1080p files, more codecs, and has more inputs.

PLUS NETWORKING like I've said before.

I was tempted by the popcorn machine, but if you thought the WD was buggy, go check out forums talking about popcorn...

i guess i'll just have to wait until somebody comes out with a better product. i really like the idea of both the wd and the popcorn and i'm willing to wait.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsg View Post

I dont think the remote has worked once to turn it on. I always have to unplug the power cord and plug it back in. Then it turns on right away. Otherwise I love it.

The same thing is happening to my unit.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 PM

This device works at basic level. There are real issues with this device.

1. DVD menus are not possbile for ripped DVD folders.
2. Forwarding is at worst. After forwading @ 16x or 8x then the movie starts randomly from some location not from the forwarding stopped. This is a real problem. 32x forward is very much needed. Can't want 12min to get last few minutes of a 3 hour movie.
3. Some times video wobbles and does not happen with other players.

Glad to hear that WD support manager is looking into our problems.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario66 View Post

Still cannot get it to see cover art for MKV tried Folder.jpg, filename.jpg, cover.jpg nothing works butthe sample MP4 that come included have cover art and show up. Does it have to be MP4 for cover art?

The couple of CD albums I have added cover art works though it shows cover art for each song, not for the folder.

This is very frustrating a long with the constant magnifying back and forth for it to format correctly to screen.

Has anyone got cover art to work please share the steps.

Any updates on thumbnail art. Can't get any artwork to show.

TIA.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM

This thing runs hot on standby!!

When I turn it off using the power button on the remote, I check back in a few hours and the base is hot (I have it lying lengthwise on carpet). Now I am wondering how much power it draws while on standby. And how this affects the long term life of the unit.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I was tempted by the popcorn machine, but if you thought the WD was buggy, go check out forums talking about popcorn...

i guess i'll just have to wait until somebody comes out with a better product. i really like the idea of both the wd and the popcorn and i'm willing to wait.

At least popcorn hour has frequently updated firmware.