Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 9960 Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa1 View Post

Since you already returned yours I guess your just frustrated that many of us are having success with our units.
Or just trolling

Well, if enjoy running 720p Hollywood movie rips, then this you device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9960 Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

i've read your posts and they sound awfully like a fanboi. you should've have known whether or not this device had networking.

and you can't talk about weak firmware support because it's barely been out there on the market.

and you just seem to be spouting what others are say. i even doubt whether you ever own a wdtv and are just trying to get people to buy a popcorn machine.

I've had the device, I was trying it out for awhile. I've already listed what's wrong with it, and it doesn't suit my needs.

But for recap -

1080p MKV files it stutters a lot

Animation movies pixelate

The audio dropouts frequently during a movie, no sound

No subtitles

Tired of unhooking external drive, and rehooking it.

Needs networking support of some kind.

Can't play .WMV files, or some .ISO files

ECT. ECT. ECT.
post #543 of 9960 Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM

WD should come out with a new model that's more powerful, features more codecs, and supports networking then I wouldn't to buy from china.
post #544 of 9960 Old 11-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

No it's only $100 with shipping, and my PCH has already shipped.

Thanks for playing.

So it has shipped? So this means that you do not have one currently. You bad mouth the WD TV and say that the PCH fixes all those problems and you don't even have one yet. Haha... that's pretty funny.

The problems you list are kind of suspicious like being tired of unhooking the external hard drive. Did you know it does not house an internal hard drive when you bought it? It's more like you're trying to show people the difference between the WD and the PCH.

I think someone nailed it on the head. You seem to be a PCH mouthpiece.
post #545 of 9960 Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM
gdc

Quote:

No it's only $100 with shipping, and my PCH has already shipped.

Thanks for playing.

Buh bye, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, but please make sure the door CLOSES.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #546 of 9960 Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfan2k View Post

You should be able to select the 2nd audio track from the options button once the video has started. I've done this with mkv's with 2 audio tracks.

Thanks! It really works, I'm happy.
post #547 of 9960 Old 11-18-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber View Post

I'm using a Western Digital 320GB External HDD being controlled by RF from my Harmony 1000. I'm having two major issues.

I can't turn the unit on sometimes. I had to unplug the unit a few times before it would finally come on (By OEM remote provided and my RF connector). Is anyone having this same issue. (BTW where is a good place to put my rf cable on this unit? I can't find a solid spot on this unit with a consistent result of control)

And two I'm having issues of the WD hard drive connected to be recognized. It seems to have connections issues with my hard drive to be recognized. I turned off the unit and the HDD and after a few times powering on and off and switching the usb cable to slot 1 to 2 and vice versa, it finally picked it up. Very annoying especially when I not only bought the WD media streamer but also their external hard drive.

Had the same problem, but figured it out. Make sure you eject the last usb from the port on the wd tv and same for your hd when you disconnect it from the computer after download. Then make sure the wd tv hd is turned off before you connect your HD to it, then turn on the WD Tv Hd and it will recongnize it. Has worked for me. I am using a 1tb Seagate Freeagent. I have not had alot of the problems with playback and remote issues that others have been having. I have mine hdmi connected to my 65' mitsu 65736 then regular red/white audio cables to my 12yr old Sony Home Theater. The sound comes out perfect and I am watching 720p and 1080p bluray rips on it.
post #548 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicke View Post

Here you go - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822136325

newegg.ca has it listed as a deactivated item? I wonder how long before we see them popping up at best buys or futreshops here in canada, i would buy online but its much easier to return to a store then an online retailer if i don't like it.
post #549 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 AM

Well popcorn hour has been out for 2-3 years, and then WD decided to copy them and take some shortcuts, and offer it for a little cheaper.

post #550 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Well popcorn hour has been out for 2-3 years, and then WD decided to copy them and take some shortcuts, and offer it for a little cheaper.

What is the point of making a post if you have not got something constructive to say. Why are you wasting your life posting rubbish when you could be doing something useful for the community like licking envelopes or windows. I don't normally care when people do this, but for some reason this seems extra childish. Go back to your kindergarten and play with your PCH.
post #551 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 AM

erdie,

I went to my UserCP (at the top of this page) and used "Edit Ignore List" to add D-I-G-I-T-A-L to it. Problem solved!
post #552 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 AM

Liked: 11
OK, this thread has turned into a pissing match between some PH users and WD TV HD users.

If you are using a PH (or something else), I hope you enjoy it. If you have anything to bring to the table about the WD TV HD, please share. If it is just to discuss the merits of another device, please take it to a different thread so we can actually stay on topic here.
post #553 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

erdie,

I went to my UserCP (at the top of this page) and used "Edit Ignore List" to add D-I-G-I-T-A-L to it. Problem solved!

wattsup
Good idea. Why do I always forget about that.

Thanks
post #554 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrefb View Post

To people who are having problems with remote... this post could maybe help you solve your issues.

I got one unit about a week ago and it worked as advertised on a 47" Philips LCD (47PFL9732).

This weekend I bought another one for my brother who had another 47" Philips but a different model (47PFL5603). When I plugged the device, the remote was acting so weirdly that we almost couldn't control the device.

I was thinking that we definitely got one of the units with a defective remote which some people were talking about.

Then, I came across a message on a French forum by a user who had exactly the same model of Philips. Even though I don't speak French, a google translation made me understood that he also had the same kind of remote problems, apparently due to Infrared signals coming from the LCD interfering with the remote. He solved it by moving the unit further away from the TV and shielding it in some way.

I tried the same by moving the unit close to the ground and even turned it backwards so that it faces the wall. And all of a sudden it started to work flawlessly and we didn't have any problems since.

If this is not specific to just one model of TV then I'm guessing that some of you guys could have a similar interference problem. You may try this solution and see if it makes a difference.

Hope that helps.

I'll give this a try. My TV is a HP LC3700N which came with a philips remote control. I do have intermittent remote powering problems. The WD TV is a foot an a half below my TV. I'll play around with the location of the WD TV and pointing the remote directy in its direction instead of the pointing it at the TV (a habit i have with remotes when the TV is on)

On a side note, I returned my Philipps 5992 DVD player a week ago and since I've had a lot less remote issues. I originally had the WD TV on top of the DVD player.
post #555 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 AM

Hello All,
I've been experimenting with Handbrake on the Mac and discovered that ac3 5.1 audio in an mp4 container isn't supported. I've been able to get the ac3 audio to work in the .mkv and .avi containers, though.

Anyone else have the same experience, or discovered a workaround?
post #556 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Well, if enjoy running 720p Hollywood movie rips, then this you device.

I realize your a rookie here and have much to learn but it's not wise to
be a nusiance your first month.

Is it LIVE or is it on a Sony XBR 65X950B
post #557 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinv View Post

Someone else suggested changing the video profile but that won't help. The video profile is just an informational tag that summarizes the encoding options that were used. Problems with 1080p movie rips are generally due to them being encoded with options that the WDTV's chip - Sigma 8635 - can't handle. WDTV can decode 1080p movies made using settings consistent with Main Profile 4.1, however many scene-release 1080p movie rips are made using High Profile 5.1 settings since it is slightly more efficient and the playback target is assumed to be a high end PC.

Use MediaInfo to check the current video profile. Also see what the number of "reframes" is - higher than 4 or 5 on a 1080p rip and it won't play on the WDTV.

So far I find about 1/3 of the 1080p rips I have tested don't work on the HDTV. Only thing to do is re-encode one of those videos if you really want to play it on the WDTV. Or download a different 1080p release and see if that works.

I tried changing the profile on ESIR's 1080p rip of LEgend, and unfortuantely it did'nt improve. I also tried changing the profile and converting to .m2ts quickly with TSmuxer, and it plays exactly the same way, poorly. I should mention that I did have luck changing the profile with 720p movies and them playing back nicely, but like said above, it seems to be more than just that.
post #558 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM

I was under the impression that a Firmware release will be out this week , after reading the post from the WD rep, my anxiety interpreted it as being this week. I assume that it will be posted on the WD site?
post #559 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedj View Post

I was under the impression that a Firmware release will be out this week , after reading the post from the WD rep, my anxiety interpreted it as being this week. I assume that it will be posted on the WD site?

The Rep posted in here 2 time so far, but didn't mention that an update was out this week. 'Soon' was mentioned which could be January or never for all we know..

i'm having a blast with this $99 toy, but would be quite surprised if they actually continued to update / support it.
post #560 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 AM

zombie10k you know what, I was thinking the same thing. The Rep mentioned that they're working on the 2nd generation WD and that kind of led me to think that most of the manpower will be allocated towards the new player and not the existing one.
post #561 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 PM

We never discussed here yet another powerful source of perfectly legitimate files: TiVo DVR.
TiVo allows users to transfer recordings to their PC using TiVo Desktop or any freeware product. Recordings come as files with tivo extension and are actually mpg files wrapped in TiVo’s proprietary container. To either view them directly or to extract mpg user must enter MAK or Media Access Key unique for each TiVo.
This should be done only once, at first usage. After this, freeware application like T2Sami easily extracts mpg file and can concurrently extract srt file with subtitles. Mpg file keeps all audio settings and plays perfectly on WD TV (with external srt subtitles if needed).

To view later externally stored (original) tivo files user can transfer file back to TiVo. He/she can view file during transfer. This procedure works fairly well for SD recordings and fails for HD. TiVo input throughput is inadequate to allow concurrent viewing so user must wait for several hours until 10-20 GB file gets to TiVo completely.

WD TV alleviates this pain but only if original tivo file has been previously converted to mpg.
I own TiVo HD and use this option a lot with my WD TV.
However, remember that I need to convert each downloaded recording from tivo to mpg.

WD TV is not only for advanced users, who have access to super fast internet connection, are familiar with dark secrets of matroska and can afford powerful home computers. WD TV is also for laymen who only want to store some videos and view them later, their computers are often slow and old, they pay for their cable TV, they pay for their TiVo but that’s it. They cannot go through hassles of conversions and extractions, many of them even don’t suspect this is possible because they never heard about avsforum

I suggest to WD TV team to add support for tivo files. With TiVo available now in Canada and Australia this is the opportunity that should not be missed.
post #562 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedj View Post

zombie10k you know what, I was thinking the same thing. The Rep mentioned that they're working on the 2nd generation WD and that kind of led me to think that most of the manpower will be allocated towards the new player and not the existing one.

Maybe the posts were edited, but I looked at both of posts by ScottWD and neither mention anything of a second generation player. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of tech companies product roadmaps, but one would imagine that with their first venture into the Media Streamer game, they will likely wait a while to see how the product fares in the market prior to committing resources to the development of a second generation player.

One thing that you have to appreciate about this product, despite its few shortcomings is the fact that it's a large reputable company putting out a product that isn't designed to be handcuffed by DRM just to make a dollar in the media department (AppleTV, etc). Sure there are niche players like Popcorn Hour who have larger feature sets (as D-I-G-I-T-A-L has constantly reminded us), but to the best of my knowledge this is the first high profile company to release a product that allows customers to easily watch a variety of HD video on their home displays.

I for one hope that it inspires other companies to get into the game as competition.
post #563 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM

Anyone else have this playing issue?

I have a few 720p and 1080p MKV's...I notice at times when I stop playback midway through the movie and then play it back again, the default screen that asks you to choose "Cancel" to start where you left off or "OK" to play from start does not play the file and says it cannot play the file and to convert the file using the packaged software (kinda the message you get when a codec is not supported).

After I get that message, it cannot play any video files...and when I shut down WDTV and restart it, it works just fine as it starts playing the file from the start (obviously it does not ask whether I wish to start from the beginning or where I left off as it seems to lose that information from its memory).

Anyone else having this issue??

Another issue I have seen on a 1080i MPEG transport stream (.ts), when I try to playback fast (2x, 4x etc.) and then press play to pick up playback where the movie is at, it jumps back to the start of the file instead of where I pressed play to resume playback.
post #564 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
gdc

Quote:

Aren't you gone yet???

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #565 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM

I bought one of these yesterday to replace my extremely poor Mediagate 450HD which died on me a few weeks ago.

Overall, i'm impressed with it, especially the interface.

This is some stuff that I would like:
- Full DVD menu support for ISOs and video_ts folders (pretty standard, i'm not sure why this was left out)
- A chapters/skipping feature is really needed for skipping through long movie files. I think a combination of a user-configurable option for that (e.g. 1 min, 3 mins, 5 mins, 10, 15, etc), as well as a 'go to minute' function would be perfect
- Faster loading of slideshow pictures; it's a lot better than other devices but still pretty sluggish. Not sure if this is a limitation of the chipset though
- More slideshow options: other transitions, zooming and panning, as well as when using the list view to be able to do a slideshow spanning folders/subfolders
- The lack of internal DTS decoding on the mkvs is a bummer, but i'll figure out how to use the Popcorn Hour audio converter.
post #566 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM

First it plays a lot of files including some undocumented ones. This includes Nero Digital. I have version 9 ultra and dvd rips look great and have the added value of being compressed. But, with storage so cheap, and recompressing so timely, and 5.1 surround not making it through even with the Nero plugin, I found that an ISO works the best for plain old DVD rips, preserves the ac3 5.1 surround audio, although I miss the chapter feature. Plus xvid, nero digital etc take a long time to rip. Iso's take about 20 minutes on my machine.

I Rip to ISO with nothing but the main movie. Copy to the hard drive. Sub-titles are fine and can be turned on or off through the WD TV HD option menu and if they are included in the rip other language sub titles will make it through. Ac3 5.1 audio makes it through to but you have to enable the Toslink by activating digital audio with the remote through "Options". Nothing in the docs mention ac3 5.1 working but it works only through ISO rips so far.

This switch in turn drops out the 2 channel analog from what I found. There is no difference in picture quality between the original and the ISO rip and the motion is smoother than with all of the other more compressed rips I tried. It gets my vote for the best way to archive DVDs on this device.

Vobs are too clunky. I also did rips to plain MPEG2, xvid,avi, etc.and also fiddled around with video bit rates etc on Nero. Too much time to get the final outcome. Iso's seem to be the best choice.

The enclosed Arcsoft Media Converter 2.5 works on one of my PC's and not the other. WD told me the softwre was corrupt. So I exchanged everything. It wasn't, it does not work my AMD machine, works fine on both of my Intels. Its nothing special and MOVAI or Nero are much better.

I can also confirm that it does not like some hard drive enclosures that you add the drive to. It will work with those plugin in IDE cable sets that lack an enclosure but they make a lot of video interference. My Maxtor one touches all work with it.

Next week I will experiment with HD.
post #567 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Just received this (purchased from Dell) today. Connected to Sony 42" LCD TV using HDMI cable. Had an old 3.5" Seagate IDE HD filled with video in various formats. Plugged it in and tried playing every one of them. Here are my observations after about 4 hours of tinkering.

1. Remote works OK. It is a pretty slow when you are scrolling through files/folders in the list view. Lack of pageup/pagedown buttons are a pain.
2. Played xvid and divx encoded avi files, vob files, x26f mkv files just fine.
3. Played 720p and 1080p h264 MKV files as well regardless of whether the profile was High@L4.1 or High@L5.1. The only ones with blocky video were the ones that had high Ref Frames (10, 12, 16). Others with up to 6 Ref Frames played just fine even with a profile of High@L5.1.
4. I don't have a receiver and so it's up to the TV to handle the audio. My TV only plays PCM streams - anything with AC3 or mp3 audio plays fine. I had a few vob files with MPEG-1 Audio layer 2 audio streams and these don't play - the video plays but, with a "No audio source" message. Am guessing this is my TV's shortcoming.
5. The on-screen user interface is pretty nice - simple, yet functional.

Improvements that I really need via a firmware update (not in a new model!):
1. Subtitle support - This is a must have. The ability to play sub/idx files as well as subs within mkv containers.
2. Every time I turn on the WD TV, it defaults to the PictureViewer mode - I'd like to be able to aways default to Videos and to the last folder played, or, at least, the root folder when there is a single usb drive attached. Too many clicks required now.
3. A way to turn off the hard drive when WD TV is switched off.
4. PageUp, PageDown buttons on the remote (this is obviously not a firmware upgrade and should probably wait until the next model).
5. Retain bookmarks even if the hard drive is unplugged from WDTV. Since it writes to the hard drive now, shouldn't be hard to save the bookmark information to the hard drive and read from it later.
6. The ability to use DVD Menus when ripped DVDs are on the srive with full Video_ts folders.
7. Audio - decode DTS and MPEG-1 Audio layer 2 audio.
8. Use Chapters defined within mkvs for skipping/rewinding.
9. Better fast-forward, rewind control.

So far, it looks like a keeper. I just hope WD doesn't abandon us early adopters and release all the fixes in a new model. Looking forward to a firmware update that fixes these issues and makes this a killer device!
post #568 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 07:32 PM

So I got this player recently, here are a few of my observations.

It upconverts on all video, even if I change the video output to 720P,
which causes way too much sharpening on my 720p MKV's, in fact HD video played directly from my computer looks much better than when played on WDTV. I'm kinda surprised no one bought this up before.

On the flip side DVD ISO's shows much better when played on WDTV. The upconversion sharpens em up. ISO's played on my computer are very blurry
in comparison.

This upconversion also seems to take place when photos are being displayed.

It would be nice if upcoversion only took place on SD video.

It would not play my .mov files, would not play digital audio from some files, and subtitle support needs to be better.
post #569 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinzer View Post

It upconverts on all video, even if I change the video output to 720P,
which causes way too much sharpening on my 720p MKV's, in fact HD video played directly from my computer looks much better than when played on WDTV. I'm kinda surprised no one bought this up before.

It was commented upon early in the thread.
post #570 of 9960 Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM

according to a guy on forum.videohelp.com WD is testing an updated firmware... can't wait
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page