*New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all, does anybody know who can I personally ask for support for polish language ? There is a lot of people who want to buy this unit but they are worry they can not use it with polish language subtitles. The missing letters are like: ą, ę, ó and son on..
Thanks in advance for your help.
PS. A new firmware should solve this problem, isn't it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoladoGuy View Post

Came back from MicroCenter. I found this:

DriveStation FlexNet 640GB Network Attached Storage
A revolutionary marriage of an external USB drive and a network attached storage solution...

Considering I was going to purchase a WD 500GB Passport for near the same price I may go forward and get this guy. Use my passport for the typical portable device it is. I can just leave this Buffalo device connected, switched to network (load it up), and when I'm ready to watch stuff on the TV just flip the switch and have the WD TV pick up off USB. Basically keep everything together in one place without disconnecting.

Sorry to ruin the fun :-( but this has been posted on forums.buffalotech.com by forum moderator (I just corrected typo):

"the unit has to be in FAT to keep dual functions"

That means 4 GB cap on file size... not much of revolution in this marriage...
post #633 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernet View Post

hi all, does anybody know who can I personally ask for support for polish language ?

Just convert you subtitles to UTF-8.
post #634 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logon2008 View Post

Sorry to ruin the fun :-( but this has been posted on forums.buffalotech.com by forum moderator (I just corrected typo):

Yea that sucks haha. However, I am awaiting final confirmation from Buffalo Tech's direct support. I found 2 knowledge base articles about the DriveStation devices that indicate it can be setup for NTFS with having both NETWORK and USB work. However, the latest article indicates that the FlexNet can be formatted, but does not specify to NTFS.
post #635 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Well mine finally arrived today, I loaded up an older external drive with a few 720p and 1080p MKVs and all are working flawlessly from the few test viewings I have done. I'm going to try a few action scenes and see if there's any issue, but so far I'm extremely happy with the unit.

The remote made me laugh when I opened up the box though... Very tiny.
post #636 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Hi all,

I'm wondering if people are having issues with the ff/rewind when playing VOB/iso files. Everytime i try to use those functions and press play I end up in some random spot in the movie. I'm using mactheripper; could its output files be the problem or is wdtv the problem? All the rips work fine on computer and burned dvds. so i'm hoping the firmware update will fix this issue but is anyone else having the same problem?

Additionally on several rips frames are being dropped every couple minutes. Someone else mentioned this for an iso file and said in VOB it worked fine but I have the same problem regardless. Any help appreciated.
post #637 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just got our unit for evaluation. We have a strange video artifact, horizontal pin width lines bleeding from light areas to dark. We're running HDMI to a DVDO VP-50pro to an INFocus IN-82 projector. This is even occurring on the WD Menu. Also running VOB file with either HDMI or Toslink we seem to get stereo only coded up to DPL II by the processor instead of DD. We have the audio setting on digital. Any answers. Thanks, Norm
post #638 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 PM

i've been waiting for something like this, didn't know it existed!

I like that it has a simple remote - and seems simple to use. Only thing holding me back from buying one is that it does not seem to support thumbnails for video files. I don't even have itunes or a lot of mp4 files and even if i did have both of those i'm still not sure the thumbnails would work...

With working thumbnails it would be more family friendly. If the only thing the interface can display is the filename "h.264 720p movie.title [release group] 24fps . mkv" its not slick looking and the name may even be cut off because it is too long.

thing looks cool though, very tempting, but i think i'll be able to hold off - for now
post #639 of 9960 Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:

That most cost 2x more then popcorn hour.
post #640 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 03:01 AM

Give it a R-E-S-T

We have clearance, Clarence.
post #641 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernet View Post

hi all, does anybody know who can I personally ask for support for polish language ?

Just convert you subtitles to UTF-8.

Unfortunatelly simple converting to .srt with Unicode encoding (UTF-8) won't work because WD TV's system and subtitle font doesn't include polish diacritical marks (ą, ć, ę, ł, ń, ó, ś, ź, ż). Here's proof - jablecznik.com/Przez_szklo_widziane/Galerie/Pages/WD_TV_Media_Player.html#20 (I'm sorry but I don't have 3 post and I can't post clickable links). Subtitles in this picture should look like this:

/Zaczynam się martwić,
/że nie dostałeś naszych wiadomości.

I don't think that is a big problem for WD developers (ScottWD, I'm talking to you :-)) - all they need to do is to swap current font with one that supports central european languages.

Please WD, do this and make me and many others your new happy customers :-)
post #642 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:27 AM

and please add support for hebrew subtitles and i'll be happy too.
post #643 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:34 AM

There are problems with swedish subtitles also. å,ä and ö
If the srt file contains å,ä,ö it dosent play the file at all..
post #644 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 AM

I need arabic subtitles support to be added to the next firmware that's will be great
post #645 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:39 AM

WD is working on VOBSUB support. Dont know if that would help other exotic languages
post #646 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:43 AM

Here is the Popcorn Hour thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1060708 It seems a lot less popular. It also has some issues. I think this WD TV could put Popcorn Hour out of business, at which point there would be no more firmware updates...

Is there a thread for Plex here? http://www.plexapp.com/ A mac mini costs $500 refurbished, but it is a very powerful solution and of course does a lot more than show media.
post #647 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:51 AM

ScottWD: urgent that you add support for Nasarian, Niuatoputapu, Guliguli, Kamasa, Mulaha, Yoba, Zire, Chavacano, Katabaga, Mapoyo, Chamicuro, Omurano, Panobo, Taraino, Kakauhua, Kunza, Tunebo, Jabuti, Kamba, Kreya, Miriti, Uru, Ona, Puelche, Tanaina, Unami, Wintu, Yana, Yurok, Tubar, Zoque, Chetco, Clallam, Pentlach, Kiliwi, Lenca, Pipil, Tol, Xinca, Manx, LIv, Umbrian, Sorbian, Lycian, Yugambal, Wulna, Mara, Mbara, Gunya, Giyug, and Kamu languages!
post #648 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 04:52 AM

Ok, so I'm not a total Noob I know a little about this... so i got this thing 2day from BB, here's what i've found so far:

Plays Most HD 720p MKV files back flawlessly @ 60fps
Does a good job of upconverting SD to HD.

Issues:

any mkv file I play that has AAC HE audio codec does not play audio
any mkv that has a resolution such as:
960x544
852x720

Forces a 4:3 aspect ratio, or distorts letterbox to fit 16:9.

Also some of my 1080p files are really choppy, others not so much.

anyone else having these issues, is this something that can be addressed within the relm of firmware updates? If these isues can't be fixed with firmware updates i'm gonna have to take the unit back to BB.

I got this as a stand in until i can get my Popcorn Hour a-110, and as my HD on the road companion. so if it can't fix these issues idk about keeping it, i mean i know what it handles well now and can get that from now on, but that doesn't help me with all the content I have already that is not playing correctly.

Lataz all, thx in advance for ur input.

You must have very Big rat, You need Hotari Hanzo's Steel" ~Hotari Hanzo~
post #649 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Just hooked mine up lastnight and watched a .mMKV file.. OMG what a picture.. It was fantastic... Looked way better than my pita Media Player..

Can VC1 WMV files be converted to a compatible format?
post #650 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Seagate 1TB (NAS) USB 2.0 External Hard Drive ( STM31004SSA20G )
External 1TB HDD Capacity, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Interface w/ 480Mbps Data Transfer & 7200RPM Spindle Speed, Network-Attached-Storage (NAS)
Price: $166.99

Since the Buffafo drives appear not to work, I wonder if this Seagate unit would (allow both the USB connection to the WDTV and a Network connection to the home network)?

Price from ECost.
post #651 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmozer View Post

Seagate 1TB (NAS) USB 2.0 External Hard Drive ( STM31004SSA20G )
External 1TB HDD Capacity, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Interface w/ 480Mbps Data Transfer & 7200RPM Spindle Speed, Network-Attached-Storage (NAS)
Price: $166.99

Since the Buffafo drives appear not to work, I wonder if this Seagate unit would (allow both the USB connection to the WDTV and a Network connection to the home network)?
Price from ECost.

About price: At buy.com and amazon.com price is $300+.
At $167 this item could be refurbished.
Check here

About usb: Looks as usb ports are for usb printers or expansion drives only.

Review posted on amazon.com clarifies a lot:

"While it usually works OK for small and moderate sized files (<30 mb) it is much slower than I had thought it would be. It never works for the big files I have to push around (~500 mb), it just can't seem to get to the end of the file before crashing. Supposedly it can run over a USB cable as well as over the network, but I have not been able to get this to work (after going to 3 stores to find a simple USBA-USBA cable). The additional USB drive that you can attach to it must be FAT 32 formatted and completely empty, so no reusing my other Mac formatted and partially full hard drives, another big disappointment"
post #652 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:

About price: At buy.com and amazon.com price is $300+.
At $167 this item could be refurbished.
Check here

About usb: Looks as usb ports are for usb printers or expansion drives only.

Review posted on amazon.com clarifies a lot:

"While it usually works OK for small and moderate sized files (<30 mb) it is much slower than I had thought it would be. It never works for the big files I have to push around (~500 mb), it just can't seem to get to the end of the file before crashing. Supposedly it can run over a USB cable as well as over the network, but I have not been able to get this to work (after going to 3 stores to find a simple USBA-USBA cable). The additional USB drive that you can attach to it must be FAT 32 formatted and completely empty, so no reusing my other Mac formatted and partially full hard drives, another big disappointment"

WD would be wise, given the apparent popularity of the WD TV, to offer a NAS/USB or Firewire or SATA combo drive that would work. It sure would make life easier to be able to not only update files on the connected drive, but have them available to share with the rest of the home network!
post #653 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 11:52 AM

Hello all. I'm considering buying this product and was wondering if this would read files with Korean subtitles. Thanks in advance, guys!
post #654 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Tag View Post

ScottWD: urgent that you add support for Nasarian, Niuatoputapu, Guliguli, Kamasa, Mulaha, Yoba, Zire, Chavacano, Katabaga, Mapoyo, Chamicuro, Omurano, Panobo, Taraino, Kakauhua, Kunza, Tunebo, Jabuti, Kamba, Kreya, Miriti, Uru, Ona, Puelche, Tanaina, Unami, Wintu, Yana, Yurok, Tubar, Zoque, Chetco, Clallam, Pentlach, Kiliwi, Lenca, Pipil, Tol, Xinca, Manx, LIv, Umbrian, Sorbian, Lycian, Yugambal, Wulna, Mara, Mbara, Gunya, Giyug, and Kamu languages!

IMHO yes, it is urgent! And no jokes here. WD TV supports Unicode so all that WD developers have to do is to include proper fonts and it's neither complicated nor expensive (correct me if I'm wrong).
post #655 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 PM

I have a .avi (info below) and the WDTV said it was an unsupported format when I tried to play it.

Audio......... MP3 48000Hz 112 kb/s CBR (2 chnls)
Language...... English
Video......... 629 kbps XviD 23.976 FPS
Q. Frame...... 0.157 bits*pixel
Resolution.... 644 x 260
DAR........... 2.477 (52:21)
Subs.......... None
Size.......... 801 MB
Source........ DVD

I tried using the Arcsoft converter but it screwed up all the audio sync I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to how I can get this to play in the WDTV (I uninstalled the Arcsoft stuff cuz it seemed kinda intrusive and annoying... oh and it didn't work for anything I tried so I figured it sucked).

Thanks

WARNING: Do Not Feed The Trolls!
The Net Troll - "Has no special powers and is really mad about it."
post #656 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM

>>>>I have a .avi (info below) and the WDTV said it was an unsupported format when I tried to play it.

...if it can't play an AVI your TV HD must be faulty surely ??? have you tried other AVI's or other formats ???
post #657 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 PM

basically it plays TV shows from EZTV, but none of the movies aXXo uploads. The EZTV files don't have NFO files so I'm not really sure how to figure out what formats and stuff they use.

WARNING: Do Not Feed The Trolls!
The Net Troll - "Has no special powers and is really mad about it."
post #658 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

So far so good with my unit. I've thrown over 20 mkv HD movies at it and they all played just fine. Some have DD and some have DTS audio. Most are 720p but some are 1080p. I've connected the unit to my Onkyo 805 receiver via HDMI and then it sends the video to the TV. I'm very happy with it so far, great product!

Now... bring on the DD HD and DTS HD support!

Love me some HD
post #659 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafejumper View Post

i've been waiting for something like this, didn't know it existed!

I like that it has a simple remote - and seems simple to use. Only thing holding me back from buying one is that it does not seem to support thumbnails for video files. I don't even have itunes or a lot of mp4 files and even if i did have both of those i'm still not sure the thumbnails would work...

With working thumbnails it would be more family friendly. If the only thing the interface can display is the filename "h.264 720p movie.title [release group] 24fps . mkv" its not slick looking and the name may even be cut off because it is too long.

thing looks cool though, very tempting, but i think i'll be able to hold off - for now

You can use folders, or change the names of the files to be more friendly, like "Batman HD" or something instead of Batman.720p.x264.mkv. I keep the names simple, and have an SD, HD, & TV Show folder. For me thumbnails would just be to make it look nicer
post #660 of 9960 Old 11-22-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGg RiE View Post

Ok, so I'm not a total Noob I know a little about this... so i got this thing 2day from BB, here's what i've found so far:

Plays Most HD 720p MKV files back flawlessly @ 60fps
Does a good job of upconverting SD to HD.

Issues:

any mkv file I play that has AAC HE audio codec does not play audio
any mkv that has a resolution such as:
960x544
852x720

Forces a 4:3 aspect ratio, or distorts letterbox to fit 16:9.

Also some of my 1080p files are really choppy, others not so much.

anyone else having these issues, is this something that can be addressed within the relm of firmware updates? If these isues can't be fixed with firmware updates i'm gonna have to take the unit back to BB.

I got this as a stand in until i can get my Popcorn Hour a-110, and as my HD on the road companion. so if it can't fix these issues idk about keeping it, i mean i know what it handles well now and can get that from now on, but that doesn't help me with all the content I have already that is not playing correctly.

Lataz all, thx in advance for ur input.

Same problems that's why I returned back to bestbuy. Maybe after 2-3 years of firmware updates can fix those issues.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming