*New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I've been reading this thread since it started and it's been so interesting, fun and educational that i decided to become a member.

I have to say i have great hopes on this little piece of hardware, since i'm an iStar owner who sadly got the version 1.1 just before it became disscontinued, and learnt it didn't decode DTS either, just as many report on the WD TV HD, and just like the PCH was just before the a-110 version got it's last firmware. It was very dissapointing, mostly because i came to another forum asking for information about it and received a harsh treatment.

My iStar does a great job most of the time, but it's not perfect, just the same as the PCH and many other players including the WD TV HD; what's the difference then? My iStar cost me 200 bucks and i'm not using any network functions, so i paid for something i don't use and will never use, i will rather prefer to have all my HD collection on DVDR-DL media(the ones that fit, of course) than having a NAS server with untrustable HDD's wich by it's nature can and will fail some day, contrary to the DVD's which may last a lifetime if cared properly.

So, a 100 bucks less for something almost the same i have now it's a great deal, cause just a month ago the iStar and all other PCH based players had the same issues addressed here for the WD TV HD: Bad aspect ratios on most movies when zooming, missing character fonts, lack of DTS decoding (yes, not even the A-110 had it a month ago), many MKV, AVI and many others didn't play at all, and they still have issues on some audio codecs, bad subtitle rendering, unsupported subtitles in sub/idx form, hangs in many different ways so bad that it needs to be power cycled. The PCH family doesn't play everythig you throw at it like some try to make the people think, i have a collection of more than 200 HD movies and i can assure you, it doesn't play everything. I don't think i have to mention a month ago it played a lot less media than now.

But now they are ahead of the WD TV HD, many things have been fixed, or been tried to be fixed, some succesfully(true zoom instead of stretching, many audio codecs, many video codecs), some unsuccesfully(subtitles, DTS decoding, some audio codecs, some video codecs, full DVD backups support, etc), so the thing here really is: if any, how often the WD TV HD firmware updates will be? Will they be adding some new functions like external DVD and Blu-Ray units support? Will they extend the list of supported external enclousures? Or will they limit to bug correction?

By the way i had to buy a home theatre to enjoy my movies with DTS audio cause i don't want to transcode anything, many of you will have to do so if WD doesn't pay for a DTS license and don't want to loss quality or struggle with conversions.

I like my iStar a lot just like many people sure likes their PCH or HDX, or Kaiboer or TiVix, or whatever, but if there's something that does the same job without the networking functions, the same including the bugs and everything, and costs 100 less with the same or better (haha) firmware updating, i will definately buy it and recommend it. I hope the WD TV HD is the one. Yes i'm a cinephile

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to see how quickly they release a firmware update and read the comments about it's functionality, i will not make the same mistake as with the iStar, stupidly hoping an update will bring DTS decoding and then being mistrated by some PCH paid reviewers about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

where is the best place to get mkv files, newsgroups or torrents?

I like the private torrent trackers. Many link to IMDB ratings, and also do some quality control. They're easier to use. But of course its all out there on newsgroups if you go to the trouble and expense. See slyck.com for guides.
post #723 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dade7 View Post

I like my iStar a lot just like many people sure likes their PCH or HDX, or Kaiboer or TiVix, or whatever, but if there's something that does the same job without the networking functions, the same including the bugs and everything, and costs 100 less with the same or better (haha) firmware updating, i will definately buy it and recommend it. I hope the WD TV HD is the one. Yes i'm a cinephile

What I'm learning as I get deeper into home theater is what a waste it is to watch a good movie on a TV set. There's a reason half the data on a BR is audio. There's a reason people spend more on the audio system than on the projector. And rips will never be small if they include the full TrueHD or DTS-ma soundtrack. There's a reason for your projector room to just use full BluRay discs. And its easier to rent them than download them. And IMHO not all that many movies are worth owning or seeing twice, and for those I can buy the BR.

But there is still room for a second TV room for the kids showing downloaded 720p mkv rips on an LCD display. And powered by the WD TV. Or, an option not enough people are talking about, plex on a mac mini, free software, $500 (refurbished) hardware. www.plexapp.com I bet that does your DTS.

See also (a bit dated I hear) www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064
post #724 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM

post #725 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 05:03 PM

post #726 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

where is the best place to get mkv files, newsgroups or torrents?

I use newsgroups myself. Unlike torrents you don't have to upload anything back. You also run full speed the whole time.
post #727 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 PM

and 1.080 mkv scene movies, any problem playing this files?
post #728 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dade7 View Post

Hi!

I've been reading this thread since it started and it's been so interesting, fun and educational that i decided to become a member.

Welcome, and thanks for the nice post.

Kostya N.P.
Green is unnatural color for a human being.
post #729 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
how much do you have to pay for newsgroups and what service do you use? torrents are free but you have to maintain a ratio so yeah, that can be painful especially since the upload and download speeds are not equivalent.
post #730 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM

your not alone - many of us registered because of this lower priced hd player

to be sure - if i have 720p mkvs with dts (dts seems to be common in mkv files) and i hook up the wd tv to my 720p samsung lcd tv with hdmi, i will get no sound? I am just using the tv speakers because i cannot put a loud system in the room

if this is true my options are:
buy a receiver - i guess around ~$500?
buy a box with dts support (ph) ~$215
remake the mkv with re-encoded audio using this tool - ~free

w w w.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Convert_DTS_to_AC3

i guess i will try the free way if this is all correct. Anyone tried converting the audio? How long does it take? How painful is it? Does WD TV box succesfully play the audio afterwards? Hopefully the audio is still in sync after its all done?
post #731 of 9960 Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack View Post

It's not about price. It's about convenience. You would have to unplug and replug the power and usb cables whenever you need to copy files. If you have multiple drives, then you would have to deal with multiple power cables. I put one docking station connected to my PS3 and one next to my PC. I don't ever deal with cables again. I eject the drive from the station next to the PS3, and insert into the station next to the PC. Do my thing! Then take the drive back to the PS3 station. The station next to the PC doesn't sit there empty doing nothing, you pop in another drive and your PC has that much more storage. Like I said, it's like dealing with tapes. No need to constantly bend over backwards underneath your table and unplug and replug cables. Not only that, now your obsolete drives that were 40gb or 80gb.. now they can have life rather than tucked away in your drawer.

That's great, whatever works for you. I don't plug or unplug cables either, I have a USB switch, I just press a button to switch my ext hd between my computer and my media player. Nice and simple.
post #732 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

yes

oke great tnx.
post #733 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by obinafla View Post

and 1.080 mkv scene movies, any problem playing this files?

with the current firmware, it has issues playing back several 1080P mkv's. They do play, but get small blocking throughout the image and occassional stuttering.

They have to fix this in a firmware update, otherwise it's a bit of a dealbreaker even for the low cost of the device. I don't want to restrict playback to 720P mkv's when the other NMT's play 1080P files without these issues.
post #734 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

with the current firmware, it has issues playing back several 1080P mkv's. They do play, but get small blocking throughout the image and occassional stuttering.

They have to fix this in a firmware update, otherwise it's a bit of a dealbreaker even for the low cost of the device. I don't want to restrict playback to 720P mkv's when the other NMT's play 1080P files without these issues.

Same issue on my player. Blocking and stuttering (also folder graphic, eastern europe subtitles support urgently needed).
Realy looking forward for firmware update.
ScottWD can you give as estimated date when update will be relased?

Thank You for Great Product!!!
post #735 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 AM

Liked: 14
Why is everyone convinced that ScottWD actually has anything to do with Western Digital? He came on made 2 posts and vanished...starting to question it myself....
post #736 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoptic View Post

Why is everyone convinced that ScottWD actually has anything to do with Western Digital? He came on made 2 posts and vanished...starting to question it myself....

I thought this myself, even at the time he made the post. But I didn't want to be the first one to question whether he was who he claimed to be.
post #737 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Hope is beter than nothing...
post #738 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 07:01 AM

Actually Scott made a total of about (9) post and they were removed ... who knows why? ... probably because his superiors wanted a leash on things. But there was conversations about a 2nd general WD player.

I'm waiting for a firmware update or the tentative 2nd generation player to come out before I get off the fence. If neither of these comes out I'll be joining the PCH club.

Just the fact that the unit is small it can envision this device being implemented directly into future TVs and Monitor panel so one can plug their externals directly into their TV. If Western Digital doesn't pursuit this some one will and make a deal will the TV manufacturers.
post #739 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:

he said he was from western digital over at the apple forums and thanked them for their feedback. He also stated that they were very excited about how popular their little box has become in such a short time
post #740 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Hi ! Greetings from Argentina !

I´m using this tiny device hooked to a My book essential 500GB drive.
I noticed it takes 2-3 minutes to start scanning the usb drive contents.
I wan´t to know if this behavior is normal.

Thank you
post #741 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayesFSS View Post

he said he was from western digital over at the apple forums and thanked them for their feedback. He also stated that they were very excited about how popular their little box has become in such a short time

And to keep it popular they should soon come out with a firmware.
But hey, it is only out here for a month. Better a full upgrade than small ones. Only we dont know if they are working on it.
Don't think a second generation soon will come.
post #742 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 AM

Liked: 14
I will admit this thing did convince me on how much I would use something like this. So in that case I actually ordered a PCH A110. Having an Onkyo 606 I would like something that does do TrueHD and DTS-MA. No fears this is going to my father who loves to watch divx files so this will be perfect for him.
post #743 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner1 View Post

I'm going to try this movie on mine, I wonder if it's because it's the "2 in 1" version? (it has both endings encoded....)

I'll let you know how it goes on my unit.

I had the same trouble with my unit. I might try to re-encode it at some point...

Love me some HD
post #744 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 AM

I posted this earlier, but if you dont have a receiver and your files are dts encoded. Download popcorn mkv audio converter. It will reencode the DTS to ac3 without touching the video. Takes about 5 minutes for me with a core 2 duo.
post #745 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

how much do you have to pay for newsgroups and what service do you use? torrents are free but you have to maintain a ratio so yeah, that can be painful especially since the upload and download speeds are not equivalent.

Also everything is usually uploaded to Rapidshare and similiar type sites. I use Megashares since there no daily limits, files rarely get deleted, and its cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafejumper View Post

i guess i will try the free way if this is all correct. Anyone tried converting the audio? How long does it take? How painful is it? Does WD TV box succesfully play the audio afterwards? Hopefully the audio is still in sync after its all done?

Super quick, easy, and like said above it takes only a few minutes with the popcorn audio converter. I've run into no sync issues with the handful I've tried.
post #746 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 10:47 AM

The new firmware is under development and scheduled for Jan 2009. Quote from WD below:

"Our developers are already working on a firmware update but we don't have any information yet as to which issues this firmware update will address. However when the firmware is available for download on our web site, the issues will be listed. We're not sure if it will include power management yet. The proposed date for this update is January 2009."
post #747 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafejumper View Post

your not alone - many of us registered because of this lower priced hd player

to be sure - if i have 720p mkvs with dts (dts seems to be common in mkv files) and i hook up the wd tv to my 720p samsung lcd tv with hdmi, i will get no sound? I am just using the tv speakers because i cannot put a loud system in the room

if this is true my options are:
buy a receiver - i guess around ~$500?
buy a box with dts support (ph) ~$215
remake the mkv with re-encoded audio using this tool - ~free

w w w.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Convert_DTS_to_AC3

I converted a number of my MKV movies with DTS track to AC3 and usually it takes about 1 hour per movie. I have AMD Athlon64 3200+ so its a very old PC. If you have a more powerful CPU (like Intel or AMD dual- or quad-core CPU at high clock speed) it'll be much faster.

My only issues with this free tool is when I try to convert MKV file with Vorbis audio track it craps out every time. But for DTS audio to AC3 works fine.

And the playback on WD TV is fine afterwards.
post #748 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80watts View Post

Also everything is usually uploaded to Rapidshare and similiar type sites. I use Megashares since there no daily limits, files rarely get deleted, and its cheap.

Super quick, easy, and like said above it takes only a few minutes with the popcorn audio converter. I've run into no sync issues with the handful I've tried.

are you talking about paid rapidshare or megashare? because the free option is terrible. all that waiting... and file deletes...
post #749 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Hi,

Great forum!
Bought the WD HD TV today and tested , like it a lot.

BUT ---- Got lot of ripped DVD's and noticed in a VIDEO_TS folder it makes a big difference using the PLAY button instead of the ENTER button.

Hope they fix this in next firmware, also starting top level instead of drilling down to the actuall .vob files would help

post #750 of 9960 Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM

Liked: 11
I got the WD TV HD mainly for the purpose of playing the 1920x1080 M2TS files from my Sony TG3 camcorder. It seems to serve that purpose fine without showing any blocking or artefacts.

I also had the non-responding remote problem reported by others. However, I managed to narrow it down to IR interference from my Samsung 37M86 LCD TV. It seems to be a known issue with most Samsung LCD TVs. I could sort it out by disabling the "Energy Saving" and Anynet+ features and increasing the backlight to 2. The remote is working fine now.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page