Advertisement

post #182 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

Any idea on the max number of drives via the usb hub?

K

Think it said 2 somewhere
post #183 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southone View Post

Think it said 2 somewhere

Ok, thanks. I thought that it had two usb ports? (one back, one on the side?). I hope it can see more than two via usb....although if that was 2 per usb, at least that would give a possible max of 8TB of local space, which would be ok.

Can anyone confirm this?

K
post #184 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just seen it on play for 79.99 UKP from 17 nov
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/2144/14...archtype=genre

Quote from Play.com website...

"Collect without limits -
There's no limit to the size of your media collection; just add more USB drives for more space."

MMmmm
post #185 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote from Play.com website...

"Collect without limits -
There's no limit to the size of your media collection; just add more USB drives for more space."

MMmmm

I think that means you can plug 2 usb drives in at one time! you can swap those with others, the no hubs bit is plug in block types hubs
post #186 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I tried a number of MKVs. All 720p were good. One 1080p (I am Legend - sample) pixelated. A few others were OK. Thought it might be the flash drive, but it also happened with an external HDD.

Does anybody know if the Sigma chip take advantage of DXVA compliant rips?
post #187 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that means you can plug 2 usb drives in at one time! you can swap those with others, the no hubs bit is plug in block types hubs

Not sure, a techie guy from WD was talking about adding usb hub support....

Lastly, did someone say it does not support TS files? (output from Tsmuxer?)

K
post #188 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 AM

Spend $100 more and get something better like popcorn hour a-110.

It has network support, HDMI 1.3, TRUE HD, DTS, plays 1080p flawlessly, bitorrent, youtube, firmware updates, and everything else this is missing.
post #189 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Any idea on the max number of drives via the usb hub?

K

no, I've just tried 2
post #190 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I tried a number of MKVs. All 720p were good. One 1080p (I am Legend - sample) pixelated. A few others were OK. Thought it might be the flash drive, but it also happened with an external HDD.

Does anybody know if the Sigma chip take advantage of DXVA compliant rips?

Have you tried the same 1080p file on any other media player? Could just be the number of ref frames and might also pixelat on other streamers.

K
post #191 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Have you tried the same 1080p file on any other media player? Could just be the number of ref frames and might also pixelat on other streamers.

K

It plays fine on a PC using many players.
post #192 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

Spend $100 more and get something better like popcorn hour a-110.

It has network support, HDMI 1.3, TRUE HD, DTS, plays 1080p flawlessly, bitorrent, youtube, firmware updates, and everything else this is missing.

I agree...kinda; I mean I don't have an a-110, but I am surprised at how much play this little WD box is getting. When I first saw it here, I thought "hmm...doesn't look as if it offers anything new whatsoever...but I can see why WD would market something like this". To me, and I know I've said this before, this is a little one-off from WD in the hopes of selling more...well, let's see; who's the biggest maker of external, USB drives? Is it Seagate? Is it Maxtor? No, it's...WD!

I haven't followed the thread post by post, but it doesn't seem this unit handles every format users are trying to throw at it, so nothing groundbreaking there. Some keep saying "if only this thing had a network connection, it would be great"! Well, then why didn't you just buy any number of other devices with a network connection? Others that keep hoping for a v2.0 with an ethernet port, I just don't see that happening. And for those who say they like it because they prefer a USB drive to streaming...well, I can't imagine why schlepping a drive around, as opposed to central storage of all your files, to share at every device around the house, would be better, but I suppose you have your reasons.

No, the only thing I see going for this device is it's small, for what that's worth (?), and it's cheap. And I guess the USB thing works for those who can't, just absolutely can't pull hard wire, and are looking to stream files that don't work well (yet) over wireless. But I would say this thing has a shelf-life of about, uh...

Just my .02,

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #193 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I agree...kinda; I mean I don't have an a-110, but I am surprised at how much play this little WD box is getting. When I first saw it here, I thought "hmm...doesn't look as if it offers anything new whatsoever...but I can see why WD would market something like this". To me, and I know I've said this before, this is a little one-off from WD in the hopes of selling more...well, let's see; who's the biggest maker of external, USB drives? Is it Seagate? Is it Maxtor? No, it's...WD!

I haven't followed the thread post by post, but it doesn't seem this unit handles every format users are trying to throw at it, so nothing groundbreaking there. Some keep saying "if only this thing had a network connection, it would be great"! Well, then why didn't you just buy any number of other devices with a network connection? Others that keep hoping for a v2.0 with an ethernet port, I just don't see that happening. And for those who say they like it because they prefer a USB drive to streaming...well, I can't imagine why schlepping a drive around, as opposed to central storage of all your files, to share at every device around the house, would be better, but I suppose you have your reasons.

No, the only thing I see going for this device is it's small, for what that's worth (?), and it's cheap. And I guess the USB thing works for those who can't, just absolutely can't pull hard wire, and are looking to stream files that don't work well (yet) over wireless. But I would say this thing has a shelf-life of about, uh...

Just my .02,

CD

It uses the same sigma chipset as far as I know, if you don't have or need the network capabilities, this player is 115 dollars cheaper, or ~ 135 dollars cheaper after shipping as the a-110 while doing everything that a stand alone popcorn hour does, am I right?
post #194 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayesFSS View Post

It uses the same sigma chipset as far as I know as the popcorn hour which means, if you don't have or need the network capabilities, this player is 115 dollars cheaper, or ~ 135 dollars cheaper after shipping as the a-110 while doing everything that a stand alone popcorn hour does, am I right?

Like I said, I admit I haven't followed the thread closely enough to know if it has the same chipset as the PH, or plays everything it or other machines will. My point was more this doesn't offer anything new or over existing devices, and additionally doesn't have network capabilities.

Again, IMO, all things being equal, don't you think streaming locally from a drive will kinda go the way of playing a DVD locally in a DVD player? I just can't think of any advantage in having a drive in the Family Room, a drive in the Bedroom, a drive in the HT if you have one; a drive in the Office...none of which can communicate with each other...instead of just centrally storing everything on one file server, that can be accessed from every device in the house.

Now, I know all things are not equal; as I said, to me the reason for USB drives is a) you can't hard-wire a network and you're trying to stream files that don't work well wirelessly or b) you have files that are only native if they're streamed locally, ala PS3 (and I'm sure others). But don't you think, in quick time, both those issues are likely to be alleviated; wireless technology will improve to the point where you can stream any kind of HD file, and machines that don't already, will do FW updates that allow those formats to be streamed over a network natively?

I guess I do, which makes me think of this device as nothing but a quick, inexpensive little pit-stop on the way to true, whole-house media streaming. And that's fine; I'm not trying to run down anyone who's bought it. I just said I was surprised it was getting so much interest.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #195 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 07:38 AM

I see your point, myself with only one TV in the house and all it's a great idea, as you say it's nothing new, but everything a stand alone ph at less than 1/2 the price. I keep my movies somewhat on the same machine but it's no big deal to throw over a few on a few hundred GB drives and bring them down to the living room. Still that much better than going down to the mail box or driving to the movie rental place.
post #196 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 AM

To my pleasant surprise, tried a few DVD ISOs, subtitles work fine for all of them!
post #197 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 AM

This looks like a good media player, but I too would like to see the network support so you could use Play On with it.
post #198 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 AM

As someone who already utilizes AnyDVD HD to rip dvds (SD, HD and Blu) and stores them on an external USB drive, this appears to provide a nice way to eliminate the tens of feet of wire and rewiring of the house (my spouse is still reminding me of the damage to the walls and ceilings when I recently rewired). I agree that wireless is on the way; however, it is not here yet. WD gets credit for a first pass at a possible and inexpensive solution for those so inclined. And once downloads take hold, it will address the storage and playback issues most will meet.

I, for one, look forward as a realist. Yes, I bought an A2 and lost, but to me it wasn't a loss - a $99 investment is still going strong and my collection is growing. I don't see a need to double-dip with a device like this. BONUS - once the A2 fails (as all electronics eventually do) I have Plan B. In the world of electronics, there is always something better the day you buy.

post #199 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 AM

For those of you who don't have a receiver capable of DTS processing, and want to hear the audio on that IronMan.1080p.BluRay.Super.Eat.LOL.Rip.mkv you got off usenet, do what I did. Download the mkv audio converter bundled with popcorn hour. Takes like 5 minutes to convert the audio to ac3 without touching the video.

http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...Converter.html

Can't play the subtitles in your mkv? Download the .srt from http://www.opensubtitles.org. Theres a subtitle for practically every scene release. Just drop in the same folder as your mkv and your good to go. I suggest seperating each movie into its own subfolder if subtitles are important.
post #200 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM

Bought one yesterday at BB for $100. I figure it will make a decent Christmas gift if it doesn't work well enough for me. I also have a MediaGate and 2 TViX boxes that play video from hard drive but they are older models and can't do H264/MKV.

Tested the WDTV with about 30 odd scene-release rips from blu-ray, HDTV, etc in 720p and 1080p. These are MKV files encoded with x264 and DD or DTS for audio.

Media was stored on a sata hard drive in a BlacX drive dock. Connected the WDTV to a DLP TV via HDMI and optical out to my stereo.

I didn't have any trouble with 720p videos and most 1080p movies (75%) played normally, but not all. One 1080p movie had severe blocking (Transformers, 12gb), some had minor blocking artifacts throughout (King Kong, 12gb), others played just fine (Miami Vice, 12gb) so it seems like the problem is not bitrate but some encoding options in x264 are not well supported. All of those play fine on my PC using KMPlayer. Playback on the WDTV was smooth in any case, no hiccups.

It does not play subtitles embedded in MKV files. I used mkvextract to rip the SRT format subs from the file, named them the same as the video file, and then they were displayed.

Media management isn't very good but you can browse by file names, and if you hold down the directional button then the scrolling will accelerate so you can get though long list of files pretty quickly.

As others have said the Fast Forward is limited to 16x max, which really isn't enough for a movie length file if you are trying to get somewhere in the middle or end.

DD and DTS pass through works fine.

It boots up quickly, and the GUI looks pretty nice rendered at 1080p, especially compared to the crappy ones you see on a MediaGate or TviX.

Lack of ethernet is forgivable at this price range, IMO. There is Popcorn Hour if you need more options. This is easy enough to use that I'm pretty sure my Mom could handle it.

Unit is small and light, and the power adapter isn't bad either. Throw it in a backpack and you probably wouldn't notice the weight.
post #201 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Over at MacWorld there's an article about this device and an active comments section. There's a WD rep (ScottWD) posting and he mentioned he's compiling a list of possible features for future firmware updates. The requests I listed are:

1.) File copy from one USB device to another (at least within List view)
2.) The ability to read/edit metadata and cover-art for videos (at least from filename.txt and filename.jpg)
3.) Embedded subtitle support (at least for .mkv and .vob)
4.) DVD Menu support (at least for Video_TS folder, if not .iso)

ScottWD PMed me back stating he'd logged my requests, but that's it. The file copy and cover/metadata are my major requests. File copy would allow me to keep a 3.5" HD attached full-time and transfer files using a USB stick as I convert/collect them. Cover/metadata would make this device VERY usable as a DVD/HD-Video Jukebox.

post #202 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonoob View Post

For those of you who don't have a receiver capable of DTS processing, and want to hear the audio on that IronMan.1080p.BluRay.Super.Eat.LOL.Rip.mkv you got off usenet, do what I did. Download the mkv audio converter bundled with popcorn hour. Takes like 5 minutes to convert the audio to ac3 without touching the video.

EdiT: no urls allowed for me yet

Can't play the subtitles in your mkv? Download the .srt from EdiT: no urls allowed for me yet. Theres a subtitle for practically every scene release. Just drop in the same folder as your mkv and your good to go. I suggest seperating each movie into its own subfolder if subtitles are important.

thanks for the tips ... planning to get one of these. Does it play all the files you have tested so far? 1080p mkvs with 5.1 audio?
post #203 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:

http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...Converter.html

Can't play the subtitles in your mkv? Download the .srt from http://www.opensubtitles.org. Theres a subtitle for practically every scene release. Just drop in the same folder as your mkv and your good to go. I suggest seperating each movie into its own subfolder if subtitles are important.

Thanks for the tip goonoob.

Is there a way to convert the audio track to 2 channel and preserve the DTS track? Will you then be able to choose between the 2 audio tracks? I was looking through the Users Guide PDF and they mentioned you can press Enter multiple times on audio while the movie is playing and it will switch tracks if they are available.
post #204 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 AM

Liked: 14
So far the one thing the popcorn hour A-110 advertises is bitstream of HD audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS-MA). I can confirm the WD Media player will not bitstream the codecs as of now. I have not seen any specs anywhere that says what version HDMI that WD went with. Dream world scenario is they went with 1.3 and will enable it some day. Reality is I probably needed to spend another $115 to get with popcorn hour.
post #205 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 AM

I've been searching for the past couple days on an easy solution to network this device. From what I've read on several forums this media player seems to work with a usb hub. I just found Belkin's Network USB hub that lets you share usb devices via Wifi.

belkin.com/

networkusbhub

It seems that to access the device through wifi you have to install software on your pc, but if it acts as a true usb hub, on the back end, would you be able to connect the WD media player to the hub end via usb and have access to the drive which is also plugged in via usb?

Just a thought....
post #206 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4tq View Post

Thanks for the tip goonoob.

Is there a way to convert the audio track to 2 channel and preserve the DTS track? Will you then be able to choose between the 2 audio tracks? I was looking through the Users Guide PDF and they mentioned you can press Enter multiple times on audio while the movie is playing and it will switch tracks if they are available.

Using the converter I linked there is an option to preserve dts track.
post #207 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Please forgive my ignorance but I need to know the best way to connect my WD TV to a HD that I can access wirelessly on my network from my MBP.

Will any of the following combinations below work

1) Can I connect the WD TV to an Apple Time Capsule through the usb port.

2) Can I connect the WD TV to a Mybook World that is connected to a wireless network

Thanks
post #208 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Using the converter I linked there is an option to preserve dts track.

I wish there was an easy way to do this on a mac. Anyone have any ideas?
TIA
post #209 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Hi just got one of the first in UK! very pleased so far,
but iam getting cant play this type of file with .VOBs

these ripped dvd vob play fine on everything else i have any ideas?

Paul

Panasonic AT6000 Projector, oppo BD-93 ,MR DVD + BD ,
Onkyo 1007,Humax" HDR (UPGRADED to 1TB ) 10 ft 2.35 screen
post #210 of 9960 Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by djn2004 View Post

I wish there was an easy way to do this on a mac. Anyone have any ideas?
TIA

Nevermind hopefully this works will report back
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page