I've been playing with my 510 off-and-on for nearly 2 years, but have never really gotten it to work reliably, usefully. I'm not talking about network throughput issues.
I'll explain my set-up and discuss below, but mainly I'm looking for suggestions for HOW to debug the issues and WHAT tools to use. When things go wrong now, it just stops working - I have no visibility into the root cause.
1. DSM-510: w/h A2 f/w v1.07
2. Both wireless (G) and wired.
3. Server: HP MediaVault w/DLNA server, TVersity
4. Routers: Netgear WGR614v6, DLink DGS 2205. Using DHCP but all devices have fixed/assigned IP addresses.
5. HP LC3760N 37" HD LCD TV via HDMI
1. Whether wired or wireless, from any server, VOBs ripped from DVDs hang each HANG at the exact same place every time (different for each VOB). When wired, you can see the LAN link light stop flashing 5 seconds BEFORE the hang. "Unable to play media". I suspect these are at high bit-rate segments.
2. DSM loses connection to server(s), and can't reconnect. Usually have to reboot server, cycle power on DSM, in various combinations to get connection back. DSM's message "Attempting to start server" NEVER succeeds. This is the most serious issue since my wife will not use it if it isn't always available.
The other issues are related to the server features, and file formats, etc., so I can figure those out by experimenting. I have also found a lot of good advice in these forums. But these two (and particularly #2) just frustrate me. So far I have not been able to find a manageable way to convert the VOBs to avoid #1.
Any advice. I'm veteran s/w engineer, mostly Windows, though some limited Linux. I've even tried this with direct-connected (cross-over) cable and still see the issues!
PS I would prefer to figure out how to make the 510 work. My wife has all but lost confidence in this project so I'm not sure how amenable she would be to trying yet another device...