The official VuNow thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone tried torrent video? How does that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid View Post

Is anyone tried torrent video? How does that work?

Like a charm so far. I find it's the best thing about the box.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Pls guide me the steps and top torrent sites

Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 AM

i'm installing it now - 7 packages are downloading over my (tested in vunow) 4.7mbps cable link -- so far about 5 minutes into the update process and on the 4th 'package"

this is my first vunow firmware upgrade -- not sure what to expect, but i'm hoping for some new features

i'll post again in a minute with details if i can find anything new.
-bit

(external link) my blog:vunow pod news and information
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM

the interface seems a bit quicker - when pulling up a screen full of icons in live streaming tv, the delay per icon seems about half as long.

thats the only change i've noticed.

client version: 2.3.1.2.5.0.34
server version (i think client used to be the same as this server version): 2.3.1.2.5.0.29

anyone else able to find a new feature in the firmware update?

what about the "popular sites" section - anyone else noting that several of them say "Coming March 10th"? this is there even with the old firmware - but i'd bet this firmware upgrade has something to do with the upcoming (in 8 days) support for the website in that section...

eagerly watching,
-bit

Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
kkr

Has anyone figured out how to log into an online video subscription and watch videos from there? I see the login option for youtube, but what about other web sites where we may have subscriptions? Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM

anyone else notice the new content in the movies section? There are now 6 entries in here, granted with redundant content. It seems they are rolling out and testing the pay-per-view downloads/streams.

One new entry in particular, "GDBTV Streaming", gives an error when i select it, "Subscribe Live TV channels to play". Looks promising to me - hopefully vunowworld.com will open up with some backend control functions soon so i can subscribe to this and start watching some real movies!

By the way, in the Bollywood section of Movies, has anyone gotten any of these to play? I've never heard of any of these movies, but in the search for content I've tried to download and play several of them and always get the error "Unable to recognize the media format". Anyone else?

-bit

Old 03-05-2009, 04:29 PM

I have tried Orb and Media Center. In media center I could not pause the video. (Am I missing a setting or is there something I can do?) In Orb I can't fastforward, so if I go back to a movie I can skip to where I was. I know it has a resume feature but it wasn't always working for me. (Again am I missing something?) Please advise on a good media stream platform.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 PM

update: link already dead see pic in attachment
LL
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 PM

404 the link says 404 error!
Not able to find the Hulu anywhere in the mini box?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM

alright - we've got the first in a series of content updates on the vunow pod!

right now i'm watching a full-quality officially distributed streaming movie through 'Crackle' via my vunow pod (from the popular websites section).

--- edit: added crackle link ---
http://www.crackle.com/shows/?c=82

What's on? follow that link right there. You see something there you want to watch? that's what's on [your TV]
----------------------------------

Would You Like To Know More?
http://bitflung.blogspot.com/2009/03...streaming.html

this forum, my blog, and one other (http://vunow.blogspot.com) seem to be the best surces for information right about now. bookmark all three and check back frequently over the next few days, I expect to see quite a few content related updates and (as i predicted in my prior blog post) a backend API for content providers to push content to vunow users without requiring verismo networks' efforts.

this should be verismo's big push, they've got to solve the chicken-and-egg problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken-and-egg_problem) and pulling in some premium content is the next obvious path to choose (their first path, imho, didn't work too well: that being selling the PoD with a free codec and feature upgrade with limited but interesting functionality in an effort to get users before really having content).

vunow users, go watch some free TV (next up for me? some martial arts flics and maybe a little sci-fi -- it's great to have new and interesting content!)

-bit

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM

@404 - those pages have been around for quite some time. they are from their previous project (also called a PoD, as i recall) which retailed for more money upfront and would have been based on monthly subscription fees.

best of my knowledge that project was abandoned in favor of the current vunow PoD - i smaller less expensive device, and a more palatable content distribution model (mostly free, with some pay per view content and, based on my predictions, some optional monthly subscriptions as well)

-bit

Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can anyone answer my question?
Can I add custom streaming links to this box? I mean to say the websites that allow live TV streaming.Please guide me.
My email is sarathb@walladotcom
Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher1111 View Post

Can anyone answer my question?
Can I add custom streaming links to this box? I mean to say the websites that allow live TV streaming.Please guide me.
My email is sarathb@walladotcom
Thanks

@kingfisher1111
http://bitflung.blogspot.com/2009/03...eres-your.html

short answer: not yet
slightly less short answer: eventually, as it is an intended feature of the vunow

Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Hi Jared(bitflung),
Good to see your reply?
Can you let me know when this feature will be available??
Or are there any boxes that already have this feature other than vunow??
Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 AM

@kingfisher1111
re: adding user defined streaming video sources to set-yop box like vunow

when: i dont know when it will be rolled out for the vunow, but i am confident it is intended to happen

where: eventually on the vunow; as far as other set-top-boxes... i don't know of any with this as an 'advertised' feature. i would expect that it is fairly obvious to all vendors that this could be a useful add-on and at this point adding it would make their product uniquely more desirable.

get your fix now: there are other ways to get your fix now, albeit fairly convoluted ways.

for example, i can add arbitrary video streams to Video Center on my Nokia N95 mobile phone, and via the TV-out feature i can watch those streams on my TV at SD resolution (640x480). sure, that's almost like bringing a laptop to the tv, but in this case it's a smaller device i already have in my pocket and connects natively to the RCA inputs on my TV. cost? yeah, the N95 is 2 years old and it still costs over $500 new.

so, unless you already have one, the N95 likely isn't a valid alternative to get-your-fix, but you may have something similar to do this already. maybe you've got a desktop that you can setup to relay the stream(s) of interest via UPNP (search for Digital Living Network Alliance; http://www.dlna.org/home -- this is universal plug and play and this is what vunow already supports and i use to stream mp3s, video, and photos from my N95 to my vunow). The vunow will connect to and playback pics, vids and tunes from DLNA compliant UPNP devices. they only test with and provide directions for talking to windows media player in this manner, but if you loo at those directions you'll see that they refer to setting up windows media player -- the vunow requires no setup for this task, any UPNP device on the network just shows up and works. my N95 just shows up and works, and it has nothing to do with windows media player (does NOT run windows of any kind). maybe that will work for you? it's a hack-a-thon to get this sort of feature when it's not officially provided for you, and sadly that's the only direction i can steer you for now.

otherwise, you've got to wait until someone at verismo, roku, or vudu says that they're shipping the feature - and i haven't seen any public information that this is coming soon on any of these platforms. (i'll refer to the content of my related blog post as non-public information; it's not from the website or an official verismo press release).

sorry i can't help more.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM

thanks for your time.I really appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM

@kingfisher1111 (or anyone interested in adding streams to vunow)

FYI - i dont know for sure this will cover the ability to add your own streams, but you should keep an eye on the upcoming roll-out of vunowworld.com.

verismo intends to give us control over what streams are available on our vunow pods, as i showed here:
http://bitflung.blogspot.com/2009/03...eres-your.html

and now the vunowworld.com website is being redone as described here:
http://bitflung.blogspot.com/2009/03...-we-speak.html

the 2 relevant parts of these posts can be summarized as:
1. (this was part of a question, response was positive) users can add new content sources (requires action only from users end-users)

2. (direct quote from vunow official email regarding what vunowworld.com will offer) "Enjoy compelling catalog of rich content ranging from old classics to the latest releases by Subscribing to the Channels"

to me this sounds like we'll at least be able to control what streaming stations appear on our vunow pod. on top of that, they insinuate that there will be content available to ADD, rather than just the ability to remove streams we don't want.

the only remaining question would be, "can we define the channels we want to add, or do we have to pick from predefined options"? to that question, i have no answer. i would expect the answer will be coming very soon however, so keep yours eyes open in the coming days/weeks.

-bit

Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the update
Old 03-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Has anyone tried using the PlayOn app from themediamall website with the vunow ? On their site FAQ page it lists the vunow & PCH as capable devices, which would allow it to access hulu,cbs,and others. I have used PlayOn with my xbox 360 and it works great, but I want a small net/media player for the kitchen.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 AM

@freakydeaky

PlayOn is a DLNA compliant UPNP server - that means it can stream to any DLNA compliant UPNP Client, the vunow is exactly this and so it should work just fine.

note that, like your xbox360 i presume, the client is meant to be playing back a file, not arbitrary content. this is not an issue on the vunow side, but an issue on the playon side. that is, to be DLNA compliant, the server must make the available content appear as though it is a set of files physically attached to the server. i'm not sure exactly how playon handles this, it is certainly feasible, but it is a limitation especially when you consider how the server will expose all of the content available at Hulu (for example).

i'm glad you posted this question - i had never heard of this product, but had recommended to another vunow owner that such a product would be feasible. also, there are alternatives to the playon application, including Orb (see a post regarding orb and vunow here: http://vunow.blogspot.com/2009/02/or...and-vunow.html ).

-bit

Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM

Video Bookmarks for VuNow: http://www.vumarks.com
LL
LL
LL
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Hi,

Can anybody tell me who has vunow if there are any Indian or Pakistan channels? If there are then can you please list them

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM

You need Jadoo TV which is Desi version of VuNow. I have one. The resolution sucks and most channels are down.
It is unreliable.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM

I was looking at JadooTV and just wanted to see if the channels are same on both products because somebody else was saying the same thing about JadooTV not being reliable and picture not being very clear.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 AM

the vunow proper has lots of indian content - specifically i'm thinking of the bollywood movies section. lots of free content that plays quite well; though i doubt there are any new releases in there.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM

@404

great find! i've linked to your post from my blog now as well -- how did you come across this site?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydeaky View Post

Has anyone tried using the PlayOn app from themediamall website with the vunow ? On their site FAQ page it lists the vunow & PCH as capable devices, which would allow it to access hulu,cbs,and others. I have used PlayOn with my xbox 360 and it works great, but I want a small net/media player for the kitchen.

I just got the HD version of the VuNow and I had no problems getting it to work with PlayOn (running on my Vista64 PC). I think some of the Hulu content in particular is encoded at too high a bit-rate for the VuNow - but many of the more classic SD Hulu stuff streams fine via the VuNow.

Also VuNow supports DRM (it would need to for CinemaNow) which neither the PCH-100 nor HDX1000 can do.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:10 PM

Joost coming to vunow in a matter of weeks:
http://bitflung.blogspot.com/2009/04...a-move-ya.html

according to my sources, joost will be available on the vunow in about 2 weeks. yup. joost.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM

a comment was left on my blog linking to 2 videos @ youtube, the first of briefly shows a web browser feature integrated into an OEM version of the vunow POD. You'll notice the device, remote, and UI are all very familiar, but the box is branded for ACT Television, India.

the videos show opening the browser (with subtitles stating it is a webkit based browser) and navigating to youtube.com.

links are provided here:
http://bitflung.blogspot.com/2009/04...-in-india.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owclfmBddxQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFU7dros_o

Sponsored Links
Advertisement