The official VuNow thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 211 Old 04-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joost is availble on the VuNow - NOW

including full episodes of current and popular tv shows like Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother - as well as popular middle-aged shows like Friends.

oh, and NEWS for those waiting for NTFS support: my sources tell me NTFS support for USB drives is right around the corner!

http://bitflung.blogspot.com/2009/04...plus-ntfs.html

(external link) my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 211 Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM

Questions for bitflung and nc_jay:

My main interest in buying Vunow is to watch south-asian channels (indian channels) on TV. I used to have DISH subscription for it and that is just too expensive.
I was planning on buying an online subscription (watchindia.tv) and then watch it on my TV through vunow. But, after reading all the posts, it seems, that may not be
possible -- surfing to website of you choice and logging in and watching the content, on vunow just yet.

That will mean, atleast till this is enabled 'cleanly' on vunow, I will have two options:
a. need to rely on the live channel list from vunow. nc_jay has a nice list on his link.
b. buy jadootv, which apprently is the same product marketed for watching south-asian channels.

The question is, how good is the quality of the live channels already available on vunow and how do they compare to the ones from jadootv? Is vunow good enough that I can buy
it only for watching south asian channels live or is it not worth it, atleast as of now?
Many readers have mentioned jadootv channels are pretty bad/unreliable. If it is same product, how can it be so different for doing live streaming? Does anyone
have a comparative findings between these 2? Are there any other products like these (vunow/jadoo) for watching live tv?
post #93 of 211 Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM

@TickTockTV

for starters, i have to tell you that i have no experience at all with jadootv. sorry, i can't do a side-by-side for you

i can tell you, however, that the hardware itself is clearly capable of playing high quality internet tv streams. the jadoobox surely looks to be an oem version of the vunow and so i would expect that even the jadootv product is CAPABLE of playing fantastic IP TV streams -- that users complain of poor quality indicates, to me, that the streams made available to watch are of a low quality (and possibly unreliable as well, which may be a completely separate issue but still not related to the hardware nor likely related to the firmware).

my sources tell me that a firmware update for the vunow is about little more than a week away - less than two weeks for sure. they have been right in the past (very recently, with the joost launch) so i believe them about this. they haven't been able to determine if vumarks.com integration is coming in this firmware update, but i'm leaning towards it. so, short of saying vumarks.com will go live soon i'm saying you'll know within 2 weeks -- if it DOES go live, that might help you to answer your own questions.

i'm not from india, and i don't speak hindi, etc. - so i don't watch the south-asian content that is available. does nc-jay's list of streaming internet television stations include any interesting content? or is it like north american equivalent: mostly niche programming?

finally i'll point out that the vunow also has quite an large library of streaming and downloadable movies and tv shows available on-demand in the [Movies] -> [Bollywood]. i've played a few of these, the quality seems quite good, though i can't tell the difference (from the listings) between a new movie and an old one, so i can't tell you if any current or popular content is available in there.

if you like, when i get home i can use the 'info' feature of the vunow to list out how many movies are available under [bollywood]. regardless, i would think you will be much better informed after a week or so when the upcoming firmware is released.

-bit

(external link) my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 211 Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for your reply. While the current list of channels does not have very many interesting ones, these are the ones I would like to know about as far as streaming quality (picture and sound) are concerned:

IBN 7 (Hindi language news channel from India)
IBM Lokmat (Marathi language news channel from India)
CNBC Awaaz Live (Indian, local language)
Z News (not always available)
9X (INX Network) (Indian entertainment channel)

As you said, I will wait for 2 more weeks to see how things go.

One more question: While I was looking at options to watch south asian channels, I came across 'jumptv'. They sell a STB called tv-desi for this purpose. THeir set top box is made by Neulion. (ww,neulion,com). THey also make boxes for many other international audience (chinese, cuban etc). Do you or anyone on this forum have any feedback on STBs by neulion?
post #95 of 211 Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Hi all, I am thinking about getting the HD PoD Vunow but I have some questions.

1. What kind of hard drive are you using that connects to the USB?

2. Can you get HBO and/or Showtime boxing? Something like On Demand?

3. With the HD PoD, how much content is HD when downloaded?

4. I have DSL with 1.5 Mbps, is that fast enough to download shows?

5. How does the wireless n handle on it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #96 of 211 Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 AM

I don't have experience with actual Vunow Product but i borrowed the JadooTv from somebody to test before buying it. It's same product as Vunow nothing different except name on it. I am not sure if the current firmware updates also update the JadooTv.

I tested the JadooTv on 4 different Tvs. On 13" tube tv, picture was excellent and on 24" tube Tv picture was ok, on 32" LCD the picture was bad and on 40" LCD picture was horrible. Some of the desi channels don't work and only handful have decent picture. Personally i think it has the to do with the bitrate being very low on these channels that's why the picture is horrible.

I sent an email to the Jadoo sales team asking them for the bitrate on these channels and if these desi channels were streamed by them or not. I never got an answer. I think Vunow as a Product is an excellent idea but i think it's not up to par with dish network to replace desi channels yet. I am hopeful in the future this would change.
post #97 of 211 Old 05-01-2009, 09:38 AM

I also asked them similar question, and their reply was that they do not host any of these channels on their servers. They only provide link to these channels. As a result, they can not 'guarantee' that the channels will always work!

So, yes, neither vunow or jadoo can replace dishtv picture quality. But there is another option. http--www,tv-desi,com

This is a jumptv product. Currently, the link above is in 'works'.

I exchanged a few emails with their support staff. They said they are currently negotiating with a number of desi channels. So, in a few months, they will have a better package. Their current plan offers about 12 channels for $30, you have to buy their STB (~140).
post #98 of 211 Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
TickTock,
I am also from India..Jadoo TV is ripping of people .we need to pay$199 for the normal box and $249 for HD version.I believe getting box from vunow is better and then can add channels later .
post #99 of 211 Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the great info. It is nice to come here and see all the links to the channel lists and the blogs. I am thrilled that the vunow is continually being updated and improved. All we need now is to be able to watch netflix through this device.

Anyway, has anyone subscribed to the vunow demo channel? I am tempted but I wanted to see if anyone has checked it out. Is it worth it? I would love to cancel cable and just use this for my television.

Thanks for all your great work.
post #100 of 211 Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Hey Kingfisher,

You are right, spending that kind of money on unreliable links is not a good idea. Vunow is defintely a better choice. But I am still debating about the jumptv product. I will wait till they get back with a better channel selection/offerings. That is the only one offering 24*7 indian channels at a much cheaper rate than Dish.
post #101 of 211 Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 PM

All,
I have some flash based URL's .Can I add this in my VUMARKS and will I be able to play these channels in vunow??can I add all my MMS urls and still play these in vunow?/If I add these channels under my vumarks,Can I mark this as private only so that only I can see those URL's?
Please guide me..
thanks
post #102 of 211 Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbonnett View Post

All we need now is to be able to watch netflix through this device.

You can now - although not without a PC running. The VuNow works with UpNp programs like PlayOn and PlayOn supports Netflix. Run PlayOn on a PC, the VuNow will find it on your network and start streaming from Netflix!
post #103 of 211 Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca_Space View Post

Hi all, I am thinking about getting the HD PoD Vunow but I have some questions.

responses inline with questions below

1. What kind of hard drive are you using that connects to the USB?
- any usb drive will do, formatted FAT32 or (coming soon) NTFS

2. Can you get HBO and/or Showtime boxing? Something like On Demand?
- not HBO or SHOWTIME, but some movies ondemand. content is still rather limited, but growing. for now, the most accessible ondemand content that has a broad targt audience is (in my opinion) the Crackle.com content. the movies in that section number about 20 perhaps, and have not changed in a month.

3. With the HD PoD, how much content is HD when downloaded?
- i don't know the answer to this myself, having only the SD unit - though i'm not sure how anyone could answer this properly considering nothing on the device (to my knowledge) actually states the resolution of the videos played...

4. I have DSL with 1.5 Mbps, is that fast enough to download shows?
- i think it's not enough HD, if/when shows are available in HD. over wifi i get about 1.7Mbps average throughput in the linkspeed test on my vunow. this is over wifi with the router connected to 5Mbps cable service. shows play nicely for me, but i've noticed some shows re-buffer more often now over wifi than they did using wired ethernet (connected in that fashion i got between 3.5 and 4.5 Mbps in the linkspeed tests). i would say that 1.5Mbps should work well for SD, but more bandwidth would be ideal.

5. How does the wireless n handle on it?
- well, i have a wireless b/g router, so i can't say anything about wireless n

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(external link) my blog:
post #104 of 211 Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher1111 View Post

All,
I have some flash based URL's .Can I add this in my VUMARKS and will I be able to play these channels in vunow??can I add all my MMS urls and still play these in vunow?/If I add these channels under my vumarks,Can I mark this as private only so that only I can see those URL's?
Please guide me..
thanks

flash and mms based urls should work, but vumarks.com is still in internal beta testing -- there is no conduit from the vunow to those urls on vumarks.com yet.

this is clearly a feature intended to come soon/eventually, but there are have been no promises from verismo regarding exactly what feature set vumarks will provide.

(external link) my blog:
post #105 of 211 Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Hi,

I ordered the VN1000HD Hi-Def POD yesterday and today VuNOW announced version 3.0

You will have to search for the article (VERISMO LAUNCHES NEW SOFTWARE ) - I cannot post a URL until I have three posts.

I will let you know how the install goes.

Anything you want me to test?

JimBob
post #106 of 211 Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM

the news says 50 new channels have been added, can you post which ones are these? or may be we will just wait for nc-jay to update his list...
post #107 of 211 Old 05-08-2009, 01:24 PM

They might be counting the "recently" added channels. There have only been a couple of new additions within the last couple of weeks, and a bunch of non-working ones were weeded out. Update coming when I can get to it.
post #108 of 211 Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 AM

I have a SD PoD. The remote stopped working. When I opened the back. I found that it was a model KZG 129 remote made in China. I would like to program a Universal remote to run the PoD. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have a code that will work?

Thanks, MikeC

Update 5/13/09
I was never able to find a pre-programmed code, but I was able to program the 17 codes into a Sony remote after Verismo sent me a replacement. I suggest you do this if you have a remote with learning capabilities. The PoD is useless without a remote.

MikeC
post #109 of 211 Old 05-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob4334 View Post

I ordered the VN1000HD Hi-Def POD yesterday and today VuNOW announced version 3.0

You will have to search for the article (VERISMO LAUNCHES NEW SOFTWARE ) -

This is the reply I got from Verismo after e-mailing about them about v3.0:

____________________________________________________________ ___

Hello,

A recent online article describes new v3.0 software for the VuNow pod:

http://www.itvt.com/story/4342/veris...op-tv-platform

I have the HD POD version - will the software update automatically or do I have to download something??

Thank you.

Ticket Follow Up : 1

[ 09-05-2009 21:31 ]
Requester: Sneham Bhardwaj
Content:

Upgrades are done at our end.

We will be doing an upgrade at our end to put customers on latest version in few days.

Thank You,
VuNow Support Team
____________________________________________________________ ____
post #110 of 211 Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 PM

I am debating getting this unit, but I dont understand why the website does not list the channels you can get through it, and specifically if any of them will be HD.

Also is anyone using this with playon?
post #111 of 211 Old 05-10-2009, 01:03 AM

Also is anyone using this with playon?

See post #102!
post #112 of 211 Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 AM

I have a standard def box for sale if anyone wants it, it is brand new, I used it for 5 days. I'll sell it for less and ship it fast! Let me know...
post #113 of 211 Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 AM

why are you selling?Interesting ..
post #114 of 211 Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Because I want less VOD (the Vunow has lots of VOD) and more Live TV from the USA. If you are into VOD, this is a good box. Even if you want just news channels and foreign news channels its good. But I just want more live TV. -Ken
post #115 of 211 Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 AM

I have bought a new Vunow HD pod yesterday - its really simple and awesome, my question is that how do I get the latest version 3.0 on it.

It says go to vunowworld.com and register your product, been there, but there is no product info in the registration

Just now went to vumarks.com and registered - it asked for the product details, is this to add new channels and playlists or also for the product updates.

I am at work, so need to go home and see if the new channels and playlist has been updated in my vunow box or not

Also, please let me know is there a way to add new paid channels on the net to my menu (i am interested in telugu language - south asian channels like etv,gemini,maa ...)

Thanks
post #116 of 211 Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM

I have Jadoo TV SD (Desi version of Vunow) fro sale. The price is $215 including the shipping. I have a few left.

PM me or contact me fmbooty@gmail.com
post #117 of 211 Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

I am happy with Vunow, let me know if you can address my actual upgrade issue.
post #118 of 211 Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 PM

I guess, the updates are at the server - we don't need to do anything - sweet
post #119 of 211 Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Can we add our own paid net channels to vupod..I am just waiting for someone to confirm this before i pull the trigger.
post #120 of 211 Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Here is the response I got from the support team regarding the registration issue ...

Problem Description:
Hi,

I bought a new VunowHD pod, it says go to vunowworld.com to register it. However, When I went there it didn't ask any product information in the registration (all it asked was my personal info and a vunow demo channel to register).

Am I missing something. Also can you tell how do I use vumarks.com in my vupod.

Thanks
Kiran

Ticket Follow Up : 1

[ 15-05-2009 20:15 ]
Requester: Sneham Bhardwaj
Content:
Dear Kiran,

At present registration features are not available.

We are working on this.

We will update you with latest.

We also update you on Vumarks in coming days.

Thank You,
VuNow Support Team
Planning: None
support@vunow.com
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page