VuNow from Verismonetworks.com is scheduled to launch on the 15th of Dec '08. Though this product is currently not available this thread would serve a purpose for people waiting to pull the trigger on a media server.
Below are some information available on the product
Website - www.verismonetworks.com
Demo - http://newteevee.com/2008/06/04/veri...-into-your-tv/
They are planning on launching 2 products, one with SD output and one with HDMI output.
Suggested Price would be - $99 for the SD version and $129 for the HD version.
Here are some questions that were answered by verismonetworks support
1. Can the player scan an entire network for compatible media and play it back. Is this true?
=> Half truth. With a UPNP server yes.
2. Can you restrict access to a specific folder or network share? What network protocols does it support (Windows SMB/Apple AFS/Linux NFS)?
=> Currently none of this. We support playback from a USB disk. Except for high-tech guys this are difficult to set up for common people. We had it but had to disable it.
3. Does the player support network filesharing protocols like UPnP or DAAP (iTunes share)? For instance, can the VuNow connect to a UPnP server or an iTunes share?
=>UPNP for now
4. Is there a PC-client required to host media shares or does it just work over network by listing compatible filetypes? For instance, could I point the player to access a network share like a server or NAS device that containts movies and music, and get an index for playback?
=> From any UPNP server such as WMP.
5. Will the optional flash storage be used to record to (save web content) or just read from (host videos & music)?
=> Record is possible only for content provider who authorizes us. We can play back
6. Are there any more detailed walkthroughs of the media center interface? I've seen the video interview on YouTube that takes you through the web content areas of the player, just not the local media center functionality
=> Will post a video of interface
7. What differences are there between the standard and premium versions of the device? Is the hardware identical and the upgrade is simply done via firmware?
=> We have 2 hardware version SD/HD. Both of them have a basic/premium on this 2 HW versions.
8. Will customers purchase the unit directly from your website or via third-party retailers? Is there a final estimate for availability?
=> Both. Our website on 15th Dec – 3rd party depends on our partners.
9. Is the player upgradeable via online firmware downloads?
10. Will the player be able to playback iTunes or NetFlix movie rentals?
=> Not today. But will happen in next release
11. Will there be an open API for developing plugins? There could be a huge market for add-ons such as a Flickr photo interface, weather, RSS readers, etc...
=> Yes. Sometime mid next year.
12. Are there plans for regular software and feature updates to add functionality that is not included at this time?
13. Aside from the partnerships with YouTube, VTAP and **********, what online video content can users expect to find? Is there a published list of web content available? Will sites like Hulu.com (legal, official video service) be usable?
=> We will look into support from hulu. This seems to be hot now.
14. Is there a web browser, or plans to include one? This would make sense and would allow users to access media sites (Hulu, etc) that may not be in your channels list.
15. The demo of the UI looked impressive, however, only the features of the web content functionality was shown in the video, is there a demo of the local media center functionality available and could you please put this up on your website ?
=>Working on it
16. Will this product be usable with websites like Hulu.com and Sling.com ?
=> Hulu is not supported at present but lot of other sites are supported
17. Information on the internet suggests that the price for the Standard base edition would cost $99, and support for various codecs would cost extra ? How much would the cost be for adding support for all supported codecs ? Will this codec support be purchased at the time of buying the PoD or can it be added at a later point in time ?
=>Both options are available
18. Can a stardard wireless g adapter be used to hookup the unit to the home network wirelessly ? Or will it only work with the wirless adapter sold by Verismo ?
=> No – we will sell a wireless adapter
19. Does this product have a built in web browser ?
So how does this stack up to the NMT players and WD player that is currently available?