Odd issue with PCH-A110/TViX 6500A and Infrant ReadyNAS X6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-21-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have both a TViX 6500A and a PCH A110.

I'm storing my video/etc on an Infrant ReadyNAS X6.

For the longest time, I couldn't get my 6500A to play anything. It could see and browse the files on the NAS, but playing them just wouldn't work - it would essentially freeze (video, pictures, etc) - huge delays lead me to believe I had some sort of networking problem.

After ruling out networking (I went through it all, and systematically removed pieces of the network until I had a simple back-to-back cable between the TViX and the NAS), I gave up and got a Popcorn Hour. And to my surprise, it does EXACTLY the same thing...

Until I found out - just last night - that the Popcorn Hour works perfectly when I enable UPnP on the NAS unit. It seems that streaming them using media services/UPnP works just fine, while streaming them using NFS or SMB fails horribly (we're not talking about simple stutters here - we're talking about it BARELY even working).

I assume that if I can get the TViX to talk UPnP (can it do this?), I'd find the same results. This leads me to believe that my Infrant is doing something odd.

Does anyone have any ideas here?

-Y
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
Check out the Infrant forum on the netgear site. That's probably the best place to find an answer. Best way to get there is go to www.infrant.com. The forum link is on the right.

Alan
post #3 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I've posted there as well.

Interestingly enough, I found out last night that, on the PCH, you can use NFS over TCP as opposed to UDP (use nfs-tcp: in the specification used to describe the mount point). So I gave that a try.

Using this yielded better performance - enough to watch the video stutter by. Not nearly watchable, but it seems to be better.

-Y
post #4 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
TVIX does not currently support UPnP, actually I was not aware that the NMTs supported it either. I have a ReadyNAS and don't have the problem you described with either boxes (I use an ioBox, not the PCH).

Could it be an issue with your router?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-23-2008, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

TVIX does not currently support UPnP, actually I was not aware that the NMTs supported it either.

I didn't know that the PCH supported it, either. But I switched on UPnP on the ReadyNAS, and got an additional entry in my PCH's menus. And, since connecting everything back to my network (see below for how I isolated it), the PCH shows my Sonos players as well.
Quote:

I have a ReadyNAS and don't have the problem you described with either boxes (I use an ioBox, not the PCH).

I don't see many who have this issue. I'm trying myself to figure out what it is, since other machines can access both the NFS and SMB mounts with no problem. Trouble is that both the PCH and the TViX show the same problems, so I'm assuming it's isolated to the ReadyNAS at this point.
Quote:

Could it be an issue with your router?

Nope, I've tried everything with hardcoded IP addresses and a crossover ethernet cable - no router or switch are even in the picture at that point... it's just the media player and the NAS.

Kei, would you be able to tell me which options you have enabled on your ReadNAS? I'm wondering if any of the performance options (or service configurations) are causing issues here.

-Y
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page