1M views 3K replies 539 participants last post by  inspiron_l6400 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I want open separate thread only about

+ open source firmware modifications

+ firmware compiling issues

+ unofficial firmware develepment talk

and all about unofficial firmware develepment

The Main thread is place where people talking cross over a lot of topics /upgrade issues/remuxing/etc...

this is the key reason why I want open this thread.

I hope this will help to people from WD/and another

open source firmware developers share own knowledge more efficient

If you need to know somethink about WDTV you should go to this thread New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player

BUGS reports for official firmware

you can post here.... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100499

NEW WDTV Developers WIKI

old location not updated from 28.march 2009 is here and currently is down

See less See more
#2 ·
I want open discussion about networking support in firmware

Wifi/Wire usbnet card. Who have interest about this feature

later streaming support from PC/VLC or IPTV like SettopBox with

saving stream for later playback from HDD on 2nd USB port.

My idea is recompile kernel with usbnet.ko support

bind IP address and implement dropbear(stage1)

later if IP connectivity will be stable use some vlc/mplayer

software for ip-stream saving on HDD(stage2)

if everything will go fine (I am not sure yet) install

everything to gui depends on accesibility gui sources.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc@ /forum/post/15382347

The current firmware can't be edited. Or am i wrong?

I thought that the current GPL code isn't complete, so you can't modify it and use it on your own box.

current sources from WDC are not complette.that's true

but its out firmware 1.01.01 and this is cRFOMfs with

md5 checksum at start

this part is possible uncompress and change

( configs,artwork )

but if you want change kernel you can try compile own

from scratch or try update cROMfs but

there is (I am not sure version check for modules/Libraries) curently not tested

#6 ·
It's unlike that you'll be able to compile your own kernel.

You'd need to be able to recompile this, which appears to be the main driver for the Sigma SMP8635LF

As the license is "propreitary", I doubt you'd get the source code, even if they do actually manage to release *some kind* of sensible source code package. (What they've released so far is frankly a mess, I can't believe that they appear to have just thrown some random compiler in and called this the "toolchain").

chris@thinky:/mnt/lib/modules$ modinfo em8xxx.ko

filename: em8xxx.ko

license: Proprietary

author: Julien Soulier , Emmanuel Michon

description: rua kernel module for em8xxx chips

depends:

vermagic: 2.6.15-TvDock preempt MIPS32_R2 32BIT gcc-4.0

parm: major:Sets the major number (i)

I have no idea what the following kernel modules are either, google doesn't provide many useful hits, but they also appear to be important and would need to be recompiled.

chris@thinky:/mnt/lib/modules$ modinfo proc_pipe.ko

filename: proc_pipe.ko

license: Dual BSD/GPL

author: Joshua Lee

depends:

vermagic: 2.6.15-alpha preempt MIPS32_R2 32BIT gcc-4.0

chris@thinky:/mnt/lib/modules$ modinfo llad.ko

filename: llad.ko

license: LGPL

author: Mambo standalone team

description: llad kernel module for standalone configuration

depends:

vermagic: 2.6.15-TvDock preempt MIPS32_R2 32BIT gcc-4.0

parm: max_dmapool_memory_size:Sets the maximum amount of memory shared by the all dmapools (i)

parm: max_dmabuffer_log2_size:Sets the dmapool buffers maximum size (ex: set 15 for 32kB) (i)

parm: major:Sets the major number (i)

#7 ·
probably pointing objective probably fault

from someone

(person who give package on webpage dont know what's inside)

btw: in main thread give me a nice idea I will check

if exist device or project which is able emulate masstorage

device with compatible FS structure - its only idea

blind workaround way but better then nothing

I am waitting on WDC response about source code package

it will take long time during this x-mas/NewYear

my remark in GLPsource package isdokument

it's look like someone want to know what the must share

is under GPLv2 licence or dont need to share another licence

#8 ·
Sigma Design writes non-GPL code and that is the reason you won't get a working kernel compile, and all the Sigma libraries are proprietary too so working players will be tough.

I think working on the cramfs is the place to start, for those who aren't afraid to brick a machine by flashing this into an mtd. proc_pipe.ko might be what glues MediaLogic DMARender and PICRender together.

Martin

#9 ·
My first post about the WD Media Player. I hope it belongs here. If not, sorry.

Anyway, this latest firmware is supposed to " improve power management "

I don't see any improvement. They really don't say what the improvement was. One of my main issues is that the Player doesn't really power down all the way. My USB Drive Icon stays lit ( MY Passport ) and the drive continues to spin. This thing will wear out in no time!

Also, if you look, the Toslink is also active. You can see red light emitting from the Jack. I can't see how this Device ever left the Factory in this state.

The Player is something I want but it's not ready for prime time...no matter how cheap it is.

#12 ·
I was seriously researching parts for an HTPC and came across this player. I thought I'd give it a try and wow! Very nice product in the price range. I am very satisfied with the product performance, especially with HD files. Thanks!

I updated the device to the latest firmware. Here are my observations:

- Like other people are saying, the device never really shuts down. It stays pretty warm even when it is powered off. I am glad its got 3 yrs warranty

- I noticed occasional random resets

- I liked the white colored subs for MKV files and how they show outside of the main picture (in the black area)

- I would like the remote button presses to be some more responsive

- Photo loads are pretty slow (my 8MP pictures take full 5s to load)

- I liked how audio continues to play even when you exit the Music page (like Windows MC)

Overall good product. I will continue to update here as I use the device further.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by woverin /forum/post/15421533

How do you know whether it is the same or similar ?

It's very likely not the same, I'm assuming Medialogic is a sub-contracted software author and they have ported and updated an older Sigma mrua app for the ARM based EM862x to the MIPS SMP863x platform and have just reused some code that makes it look the same.

Martin

#25 ·
Given the previous discussion, I'm curious if you think it will be possible to re-compile the firmware to support some type of USB network interface?

I'd like to hold out hope for such an enhancement but I'd also like to be realistic. Will the hardware even support such an upgrade or is this a pipedream?

#26 ·
Repost as requested, refer to the posts: 15380840, 15380936, 15495943.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowells /forum/post/15380840

ScottWD,

I was quite interested in this product, particularly when I found out that it ran Linux. However, I believe that you are currently violating the GPL.

* The latest binary firmware is 1.01.01, but you only provide the 1.00.01 source code

* The source code is incomplete and missing the scripts needed to build the product, which you are obligated to provide per section 3 of the GPL v2: "For an executable work, complete source code means [...] the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable". There is no way that anyone could turn the source code that you provide into something that can be installed on the device.

* The binary firmware contains the utelnetd daemon, licensed under the GPL v2, but source code for this does not seem to be provided

* The binary firmware conains the mtd-tools (mkfs.jffs2 etc), licensed under the GPL v2, but source code for this does not seem to be provided

* The source code package contains toolchain-89.tgz, which appears to be an ARM cross compiler. This surely can't be the right compiler, as Sigma SMP8635LF is MIPS-based!

It is important that WDC resolve this ASAP so that users can modify the firmware to their needs and possibly fix problems. Just look how popular the OpenWRT project is, which spun off from Linksys routers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_FATE /forum/post/15380936

Wow... you created an account on an unofficial support forum for a product to tell the manufacturer how they are violating the GPL? As it has already been pointed out to you this is more suited to be given directly to WD using official channels. I doubt their lawyers frequent this forum.

Of course this is an issue for more than just lawyers.

In a product with closed source, if there are bugs, it is often required that you beg the manufacturer for the issues to be fixed (or features added...).

(I'm sure many of you have played this game with various routers and other boxes)

In a product that is based on open source, you can ask the manufacturer to address issues if you wish. But you can also fix the problem yourself or apply the fix of someone else.

If you have switched your routers to OpenWRT, you understand.

The WDTV is linux based. I knew before my purchase that it was missing support for ext2 and ext3, but it is Linux based, so I should be able to add it myself.

However, I downloaded the source, and see that the source is not complete enough to build the Linux kernel or modules.

The build configuration for 2.6.15-TvDock seems to be missing (Though there is a perhaps relevant TANGO2/SMP863X configuration).

The included toolchain is an apparently irrelevant arm build of gcc 2.95 built in 2005, without source.

The kernel modules were apparently built with a MIPS32_R2 32BIT gcc-4.0 toolchain, which is not included.

I just would like to be able to compile and update the open source components as one would expect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.