Newbie to Roku - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-17-2009, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do I know if my current PC/TV setup will work with Roku? I have Time Warner Roadrunner cable. I have Time Warner Digital HD TV service. My PC is line of sight to my TV, about 35 feet away. If I buy the Roku box, what else do I need to get Roku working? Not for me, but my wife likes old movies, and we have a Netflix subscription. She watched some old movies on our PC, but the 17" monitor doesn't compare to the 46" TV.

Thanks for helping a novice understand how it works and what I need.

-No Clue-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you are asking about the ROKU I am familiar with, it has not been made for a few years but used ones may be available. Info on them can be had here http://forums.rokulabs.com/index.php...72d0ba62afc11e
The ROKU is connected to the PC by Ethernet cable and can use windows networking without additional software in the PC. It will play MPEG 2 videos on the PC's harddrive. If that is what you get from NETFLIX it would work, otherwise probably not.
John
post #3 of 17 Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

@tjlamphere - Roku Netflix Player is designed to work with any and all AV configurations. It will connect using composite (yellow) or svideo and stereo (red/white) to older tvs, component, digital audio and hdmi on modern units. It has both ethernet and 802.11g wifi built in to connect to your home network. It takes about 5 minutes to set up and will happily play Netflix Watch Instantly content.

http://www.roku.com/

@ctdish - OP asked about Roku Netflix Player which was launched May '08. It's a current production product - what makes you think it's not being made? It streams content directly from Netflix bypassing your PC. Roku recently added HD streaming from netflix and announced additional integration with Amazon streaming. Both of these are done with automatic firmware updates.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was refering to the HD1000 and not up on the Netflix version.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-20-2009, 06:58 AM

Not to hijack the thread; but I have a question on the Roku. Netflix sells the Roku for $99. No problem. My question is; WHY would the same unit be on ebay with a price of $115 with 22 bids on it???? Also; BUY IT NOW for $110? Is there a difference with these units compared to the one ordered from Netflix? Can they be used with a different service and the netflix one you HAVE TO SIGN with their service; thus the reason for buying on ebay?? Like buying a cell phone without buying service??? Any ideas? thx... mike...

Michael
Hitachi 51UWX20B
Vizio SV470XVT
Panny BD35 Blu-Ray
DirecTv High Definition
Denon LA-2300 Laser
Polk Audio Fronts
Kenwood Rears
Pioneer Center
Pioneer Receiver
Sony Sub
post #6 of 17 Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post

...My question is; WHY would the same unit be on ebay with a price of $115 with 22 bids on it????

Roku shipping charges are rather steep at $15 ground and $20 air. Still, I would rather pay Roku and get direct support and warranty. And they send you update notifications based on the ordering email address.

Now that Roku has announced Amazon Video On Demand support it will be interesting to see if Amazon also begins selling the players (perhaps with free SuperSaver shipping?).
post #7 of 17 Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post

Not to hijack the thread; but I have a question on the Roku. Netflix sells the Roku for $99. No problem. My question is; WHY would the same unit be on ebay with a price of $115 with 22 bids on it???? Also; BUY IT NOW for $110? Is there a difference with these units compared to the one ordered from Netflix? Can they be used with a different service and the netflix one you HAVE TO SIGN with their service; thus the reason for buying on ebay?? Like buying a cell phone without buying service??? Any ideas? thx... mike...

As already mentioned Roku shipping is high. Also some people I know shop only on ebay and never go anywhere else (not sure why, but that is what they do).

And to nitpick, I don't think Netflix sells the Roku, Roku does.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 PM

Well; I received my Roku today via FedEx. Took about 3 minutes to set it up. I wrote down the wireless MAC and gave it a fixed IP address on my network. Fired up the Roku. Put my WEP code for my wireless in it. Took the activation code online with the PC and all was good.

I've only streamed a couple of tv shows, part of 1 documentary, and part of a movie. Quality has been great. Once in one of the tv shows and once in the movie, it rebuffered and dropped from a 4 to a 3 on the signal. But I can deal with that. So far, I am very impressed. Definitely worth the $99 for the box. Especially if I'm going to be paying for the DVD/BD disks anyway. later... mike....

Michael
Hitachi 51UWX20B
Vizio SV470XVT
Panny BD35 Blu-Ray
DirecTv High Definition
Denon LA-2300 Laser
Polk Audio Fronts
Kenwood Rears
Pioneer Center
Pioneer Receiver
Sony Sub
post #9 of 17 Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 11
Bought a roku xs today while on vacation. MInutes to set up. Activated my two free months of Hulu plus and began watchIng stuff. Awesome box...
post #10 of 17 Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Bought a roku xs today while on vacation. MInutes to set up. Activated my two free months of Hulu plus and began watchIng stuff. Awesome box...

I agree, it's really nice. Quite a unique player. My only complaint is their 3 month warranty.

philip
post #11 of 17 Old 09-23-2012, 02:33 PM

good news: VUDU is now on ROKU
bad news: it only works on ROKU 2's, doesn' even work on the 1080p version of the ROKU 1.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by leww37334 View Post

good news: VUDU is now on ROKU
bad news: it only works on ROKU 2's, doesn' even work on the 1080p version of the ROKU 1.

It reputedly does work with the Roku LT,according to Catastrophe girls website,and is also confirmed in the Roku blog. I have a Roku 2XS and it works flawlessly.Both Vudu and UltraViolet are supported if you link the accounts.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Can someone please help me with these questions?

I have Netflix account, I am considering getting a Roku streaming stick. So to watch Netflix movies, will I need to create a Roku account? or from the Roku stick I can log in to Netflix directly?

Thank you!
post #14 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If the stick is set up the same way as the box, I'd bet it will, then you need to setup a Roku account when you first turn on the equipment. It's free, but they will require a CC on file for purchases of apps. Once setup you just sign in to your netflix account. Not too familiar with the roku stick, but unless it has an audio out I see getting 5.1 audio out of it as a problem. Pretty much all displays will only output 2 channel audio from content external to the set.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Can someone please help me with these questions?
I have Netflix account, I am considering getting a Roku streaming stick. So to watch Netflix movies, will I need to create a Roku account? or from the Roku stick I can log in to Netflix directly?
Thank you!
Just so you know, your have to plug the streaming stick into the MHL port of your Roku Ready™ TV (basically any display or device with an MHL ((Mobile High-Definition Link) port. Roku announced a slate of streaming stick launch partners, including Element Electronics, Haier, Hitachi America, Insignia (Best Buy's house brand), Mitsubishi, Onkyo/Integra, Oppo, and TMAX Digital (better known under the Apex TV brand). Compatible products from those companies will bear a "Roku Ready" logo, and some will come packaged with the streaming stick itself. As long as the device (such as an Onkyo pre/pro or receiver or Oppo blu-ray) has the MHL port this should allow you to plug the streaming stick into it and begin streaming audio and video through your home theater system. Missing from that list are any notable A-list TV brands -- no Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG, Vizio, or Sharp so unfortunately, TVs with MHL ports remain few and far between -- especially low-end, non-smart TVs that would most benefit from a streaming stick upgrade.

post #16 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Just so you know, your have to plug the streaming stick into the MHL port of your Roku Ready™ TV (basically any display or device with an MHL ((Mobile High-Definition Link) port. Roku announced a slate of streaming stick launch partners, including Element Electronics, Haier, Hitachi America, Insignia (Best Buy's house brand), Mitsubishi, Onkyo/Integra, Oppo, and TMAX Digital (better known under the Apex TV brand). Compatible products from those companies will bear a "Roku Ready" logo, and some will come packaged with the streaming stick itself. As long as the device (such as an Onkyo pre/pro or receiver or Oppo blu-ray) has the MHL port this should allow you to plug the streaming stick into it and begin streaming audio and video through your home theater system. Missing from that list are any notable A-list TV brands -- no Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG, Vizio, or Sharp so unfortunately, TVs with MHL ports remain few and far between -- especially low-end, non-smart TVs that would most benefit from a streaming stick upgrade.

I've actually considered getting the 3M streaming projector, which supports the Roku stick.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I guess I question the point of the "stick" the regular Roku2 box is so small it could be Velcro'd to the back of a display and you'd never know it was there. True you might have to deal with a small power cable but if you are inventive that is a non issue.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page