Anything faster than HandBrake? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am encoding my Standard DVD's(Non-Hi Def) to my WD TV. I am trying to keep the best video quality & keep the original 5.1 track in one mkv container.

So far DVDFab is by far the fastest doing my sample 1:54min movie in 40 minutes. File size went from 5.1 GB to 1.9 GB, the problam is it is not outputting a 5.1 track but a stereo track.

I then tried HandBrake which did put out a 5.1 track in an mkv container, but encode time of 20 hours is a bit silly. Anything else out there worth giving a try for my non-hi def DVD's?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know what you are talking about. I decided to give up on transcoding DVDs for the same reason (althought my collection is small). Its much easier to just save them as ISOs.

However, try using single-pass. That will be quicker (ofcourse a bit of compromise on quality).

With my 2.33GHz, Dual Core (4MB shared L2), 1066FSB OCd to 1333, 1066Mhz RAM I am able to encode a 1:40hr movie in about 7hrs for a target 1.5Mbps with AC3 audio. I used two-pass encoding. With single-pass, I may get this done in 5hrs.

Is DVDFab using DivX or Xvid codec? Because only those are that fast but not nearly as good as h.264. If I use a simple profile with MediaCoder, I can get a DVD converted in < 1hr.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM

What settings are you using? What are the specs on your pc?
post #4 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You might want to get a better computer... On my machine, it takes me about 10 minutes plus/minus a few minutes to do a complete dvd using handbrake. I think a good chunk of it has to do with the specs of your machine. I could be wrong.

"Me Personally, I want to slay the dragon"
post #5 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post

You might want to get a better computer... On my machine, it takes me about 10 minutes plus/minus a few minutes to do a complete dvd using handbrake. I think a good chunk of it has to do with the specs of your machine. I could be wrong.

You are sure that it only takes 10 minutes to completely re-encode a 114min DVD video? What format and settings are you re-encoding to?
What is your PC setup?
post #6 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

You must have a super computer, I thought I noticed the city lights flickering when you were encoding.

OzzieP, you may want to try different settings on handbrake. I've got a 1.5 ghz dual core with 1.5 gb ram, and I can encode a full DVD (standard def) in about 4-5 hours to MKV file. It should be just as fast as DVDfab.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicool View Post

I know what you are talking about. I decided to give up on transcoding DVDs for the same reason (althought my collection is small). Its much easier to just save them as ISOs.

However, try using single-pass. That will be quicker (ofcourse a bit of compromise on quality).

With my 2.33GHz, Dual Core (4MB shared L2), 1066FSB OCd to 1333, 1066Mhz RAM I am able to encode a 1:40hr movie in about 7hrs for a target 1.5Mbps with AC3 audio. I used two-pass encoding. With single-pass, I may get this done in 5hrs.

Is DVDFab using DivX or Xvid codec? Because only those are that fast but not nearly as good as h.264. If I use a simple profile with MediaCoder, I can get a DVD converted in < 1hr.

I have never been able to tell the difference between 1 and 2 pass encoding.

I completely agree that DivX and Xvid, for a given file size, will not look as good as h264 or wmv. However, h264 and wmv take longer to encode. IMHO it is well worth the extra encoding time.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmediaplayerfan View Post

You must have a super computer, I thought I noticed the city lights flickering when you were encoding.

OzzieP, you may want to try different settings on handbrake. I've got a 1.5 ghz dual core with 1.5 gb ram, and I can encode a full DVD (standard def) in about 4-5 hours to MKV file. It should be just as fast as DVDfab.

What video type are you wrapping MKV around? That will make a big difference in encoding time.

EDIT: Using Handbrake and encoding to h264 using 1 pass it took 46 mins to encode a 201 min DVD. File size went from 4.6 to 2.0GB (Vista Home Premium/Q9550/3GB). I would say that Handbrake is pretty darn fast. It made full use of all 4 cores and pegged my cpu at 99-100%.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-18-2009, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
basically when doing 2 pass encoding my understanding is the first pass is to examine the footage and determine optimum bit rates it then saves this info and uses it on the second pass where it actually encodes the video.
I haven't used mkv but useing h.264 and ac3 for audio on avi I get under 2 hours to encode a DVD. though I haven't timed it exactly.

There are some things that can speed things up.
1. copy the ts_video file to the hard drive.

2. select a smaller out put size. you may not notice much a difference when you play it back. example instead of 854x480 set hand brake to "loose" scaleing and make it 640x[whatever].
doing This I get prety good quailty at around 700 meg a file. [though thats for a 113 min movie ]
post #10 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just upgraded my 4850e/780g Athlon dual core HTPC to a 905e Phenom II quad core. Same MB and 4gb DDR2, both 2.5GHz, no overclock. Handbrake tests (for a high quality SD transcode setting I like):
before 22 fps
after 50 fps

So...double the cores, change nothing else, just over double the speed. I'ze pleased. It settles in my mind "do I pay for 200MHz more CPU speed, or for another core or 2 or 3, even with a little lower clock." With modern apps, cores beats clocks.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

I am encoding my Standard DVD's(Non-Hi Def) to my WD TV. I am trying to keep the best video quality & keep the original 5.1 track in one mkv container.

So far DVDFab is by far the fastest doing my sample 1:54min movie in 40 minutes. File size went from 5.1 GB to 1.9 GB, the problam is it is not outputting a 5.1 track but a stereo track.

I then tried HandBrake which did put out a 5.1 track in an mkv container, but encode time of 20 hours is a bit silly. Anything else out there worth giving a try for my non-hi def DVD's?

Thanks

Why even compress? 5-7 gig is so small and hdds are so cheap.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 PM

I have a Quad Core 2.40GHz Q6600 w/ 3GB Ram, running 2 1.5TB drives with 3.0Gb/s transfer rate.

I just now finished a 1 hour 57 minute SD DVD rip to a 2GB, h.264, 2.5Mb/s bitrate mkv with Handbrake and it took right at 42 minutes. I can do a Bluray rip to an 18GB, h264, 25Mb/s mkv from m2ts in around 5 hours. I do these in single pass because, quite honestly, I cannot tell the difference between single pass and 2 pass PQ other than it takes twice as long even in turbo 1st pass mode.

I would love to have a new Intel i7 3.2GHz machine but that is "just a biiiit outside" my price range right now.

EDIT: Another thing you can do since storage is so inexpensive right now, is to use MakeMKV. Does a straight 1:1 rip. It just repackages the video from VOB to mkv container. Some people have had issues with it, but I have never had a problem.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #13 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Liked: 13
With my 2 Ghz T5750 dual-core CPU, an average length DVD takes around 6 hours to encode. (It can't handle encoding Blu-Rays.) More than almost any other type of activity, video encoding really depends on the amount of cores you have.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyhead View Post

You are sure that it only takes 10 minutes to completely re-encode a 114min DVD video? What format and settings are you re-encoding to?
What is your PC setup?

On average it takes 10 minutes plus or minus it could be 15 minutes...... but it doesn't take long at all. Using the latest build of handbrake 64 bit and ripping so my files are usually anywhere from 3-6 gigs on the high end depending on how well I like the movie. Saving the final product m4v.

I have a mac pro 2.8 with 8 gigs of ram. If I am going to do a bunch in a row I will rip them to the hard drive and then que them up. This takes a little longer, not by much but if I want to do a bunch while I am sleeping, this is what I do.

post #15 of 20 Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 AM

I tried using the Moyea video converting products. I had some issues with them in regards to software not working and Moyea is attempting to address the issue. Better support than most companies but couldnt get product to work, Moyea is wanting me to wait for next upgrade. They even called me to discuss from China...at 5 am (they did apologize). But check refund policy of any company before you buy.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-31-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been using RipIt on my MacBook Pro, and it takes 30-45 minutes. It leaves me with a .dvdmedia extension. I'm looking for something that would give me a .iso file for my Prodigi PD100-N. Any suggestions?
post #17 of 20 Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

Thanks

I have a current duo core machine with Windows 7 and I stopped using handbrake because it did take forever. I know some people will say it takes 30 minutes but go figure...you really can't because BD read speeds aren't even high enough to do in that time frame.

I rip right to ISO now. BUT ran out of room already and have a full 2TB filled up. They are mirrored.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:

On average it takes 10 minutes plus or minus it could be 15 minutes...... but it doesn't take long at all. Using the latest build of handbrake 64 bit and ripping so my files are usually anywhere from 3-6 gigs on the high end depending on how well I like the movie. Saving the final product m4v.

I have a mac pro 2.8 with 8 gigs of ram. If I am going to do a bunch in a row I will rip them to the hard drive and then que them up. This takes a little longer, not by much but if I want to do a bunch while I am sleeping, this is what I do.

that is high for a typical movie. uselessly high infact. 3gb is stupidly big for the majority of films. if you need bitrate that high you are probably using poor settings in x264, which could be why its so fast. why encode at all?

i generally aim around 1/3 of the mpeg2 size. with 'proper' settings it take around 4 hours for the second pass on a q6600.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-01-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

The "math-ability" of the top CPUs are incredible.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

I have an Intel Q9550, stock 2.83 Ghz, OC'd to 3.8 Ghz.
On the above charts, mine would score 5700.
As there are so many charts, to find where yours rank:
Google "cpubenchmark q9550"

- Andy
post #20 of 20 Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao View Post

that is high for a typical movie. uselessly high infact. 3gb is stupidly big for the majority of films. if you need bitrate that high you are probably using poor settings in x264, which could be why its so fast. why encode at all?

i generally aim around 1/3 of the mpeg2 size. with 'proper' settings it take around 4 hours for the second pass on a q6600.

That maybe, however I want the higher bit rates. Using the latest build of handbrake and vlc.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page