Looking for a system with digital outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-25-2002, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in an audio server, and am trying to understand what solutions have what options... and haven't seen any other postings that discusses these.

I don't care if it needs to network connect to my server or has it's own storage. However, I really want digital audio outputs (I couldn't believe the sound quality difference when I upgraded to my digital output CD Changer). LCD display is needed, but the ability for TV menus would be great.

With that being said, I think that HP solution can do it, but I can't quite do $999 right now. Are there other solutions?

I see the Rio Receiver is on sale for $99, but it looks like that does not have digital outputs or on-screen menus.

Ry-man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2002, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should look at Turtle Beach's "Audiotron"

www.audiotron.net

BTW the Rio Receiver's sound quality is not very good
post #3 of 11 Old 01-29-2002, 05:41 AM

the audiotron is great and with the digital out, sounds just great.. highly recommended!

-------------------
Mitsi 55907
Denon 3801
Sony HD-100 STB
DirectTV/HD-DVR
OTA
ROKU
-------------------
post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2002, 07:35 PM

Lansonic DAS with digital outs
and no hard drive is $600+

see,

www.lansonic.com

Paul
post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2002, 08:09 AM

Wow! $695 list with no hard drive for the Lansonic? What's the appeal?

The Audiotron, with no hard drive and digital outs lists for $300. What makes the Lansonic worth twice as much?

Lloyd Lawrence
post #6 of 11 Old 02-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Lloydian,

What makes the BMW and LEXUS twice as much as the Cavalier?

We all know the answer...

I returned my Audiotron to BB. It was not very well built an had software problems. I never did have a chance to compare to the Lansonic for Audio quality.
I currently have a Lansonic DAS750 Pro. The sound quality is excellent and the unit is not PC based. Digital outputs and inputs. Analog outputs and Inputs for recording.
I can control it with a simple IR remote, but there are connections for rs-232 control. I can load all of my CDs into a Changer and have the Lansonic RIP them into MP3s and label them without and intervention. I can easily set the unit up to work on my Home network and stream 4 selections out to other PCs or network devices. The unit has a easy web server interface that allows you to create playlists and save them, but also control the player.
How much did you pay for all those MP3s?
IMO, just spend the money and buy a real Server:
1. Lansonic
2. Audio Request
3. Imerge I1000
4. Arrakis

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #7 of 11 Old 02-28-2002, 07:51 AM

Actually, a BMW or Lexus runs a little more than triple the cost of a Cavalier. It's about double the cost of an Impala, and no, I don't understand why anyone would rather have one Lexus than two comparably equipped Impalas.

As for the features you mentioned, how does your Lansonic record without a hard drive? I suspect we were comparing dissimilar products in that regard. If you have a unit with a hard drive, the cost is well more than triple that of an Audiotron. And if your hard drive is large enough to handle my music collection, it costs as much as five Audtiotrons.

As for streaming information, that's a feature of the AT. Since it is a client, not a server, for the price of a typical Lansonic, I can put in four ATs in various rooms of my house, all with digital outs (digital in is meaningless since the ripping is done on the server, not the client).

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by your question of how much my MP3 files cost. I've been accumulating my music on CD for nearly 20 years now, and my WMA files (better sound quality at the same bit rate than MP3) sound great.

For my purposes, if you need a unit with an integrated hard drive and CD burner, spend the extra money, but for far less money, I can (and did) buy a dedicated server (with CD burner) and two Audiotrons.

Lloyd Lawrence
post #8 of 11 Old 03-04-2002, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry I brought up the car reference. Poor choice on my part.

I was only giving my opinion based on the fact that I have owned both. The Audiotron didn't pass my standards for Quality, ease of use, or my "personality".
My reply to this was based on Ryman's need for digital output.

The Lansonic, without connection to the internet, can rip a whole stack of CDs from a Sony Changer instead of one at a time in a PC based system.
I have no reason to debate sound quality on MP3s or WMAs, I have been in the music business for 20+ years and I find uses for almost all file formats. The 320gb of Storage I have can handle all of my "must have" collection. My Lansonic has 2 60gB internal drives.
The Lansonic can act as a Client or a Server. I have not tried to use it as A Client AND a server, so I can't answer that yet.
I have no reason to debate the Price points anymore. Audiotron is cheaper, the Rio is the Cheapest. I hope one day you will try a Lansonic, Audio request or Iserve machine, but for now, enjoy your Audiotron.

post #9 of 11 Old 03-04-2002, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truaudiophile
The Lansonic, without connection to the internet, can rip a whole stack of CDs from a Sony Changer instead of one at a time in a PC based system.
Is it true that "ripping" from a Cd changer can only be done in real-time, rather than the 2-8x speed you typically get from a PC cd-rom drive? I've heard that's one of the drawbacks of this method.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-04-2002, 12:11 PM

The Lansonic allows you to rip directly at 1x or
via a computer (typically 4x - 8x). Both methods
are available. One thing that I like about the
Lansonic is that it can stream to other devices on
the LAN - the HP for example can't do this.
(Don't know about the others)

Paul
post #11 of 11 Old 03-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

jimre,
The Cd Changer is playing in Real time as the unit rips the music to MP3. I know this is not the quickest way to do it, but the CD changer continues to go without intervention. So while you sleep, a few more CDs were added to your HD. This is nice for people with CD collections that they would like to transfer.

Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page