Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite EVA9150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in a device that can stream Blu-ray from ISO rips on a NAS with as little drama as possible. I've been reading the postings on this forum for a while and it seems like iStar HD and the Dune definitely fit that bill. However, the Netgear apparently (and automagically) does the movie cover art for you, as opposed to iStar and Dune which require a My Lil Movie Jukebox setup.

Any way, reading the specs on the Netgear site, it sounds like the 9150 can play Blu-ray files (M2TS support), but not sure if it supports the ISO rips and cannot tell if all the HD Audio formats are supported (I actually prefer bit stream passthru).

If anyone has more info or opinion on this device, I would appreciate any advice on whether I should throw down for this or not.

Thanks,

Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Evidently, it's not shipping yet. Neither Netgear's web store nor Amazon have any in stock. Amazon, says "usually ships within 3 to 6 weeks."

There were a couple of earlier threads on the same topic:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=eva+9000
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=netgear

It's not yet clear whether it can bitstream DD TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I hope so, but the online specs seem contradictory. Time will tell.

The relevant part of Netgear's website is currently down. Maybe some updates coming--or maybe someone just tripped over a cable.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 PM

From what I can tell the EVA9150 is now shipping from Amazon - at least people on this over at the Netgear forum have annouced they have received the retail unit! Be great to hear some reviews from those who have recieved their units.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-11-2009, 02:06 AM

Yeah, it's been shipping for past week or so.

I too am looking forward to reading what people think of it
post #5 of 18 Old 04-11-2009, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKel View Post

From what I can tell the EVA9150 is now shipping from Amazon - at least people on this over at the Netgear forum have annouced they have received the retail unit! Be great to hear some reviews from those who have recieved their units.

If true, then Amazon's webmaster must be on vacation (or laid off). Same for Netgear.

I'm eager to see some real reviews, not just reptition of feature lists.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's another review that doesn't include much news, other than the fact the TrueHD is not yet supported.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

It's now officially "In stock" at Amazon (but not yet at Netgear?).
post #8 of 18 Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Liked: 11
I ordered one from buy.com last thursday and got it in the mail on Friday. Also tested DVD .iso rips and they work fine. The DVD menu works too.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

It's now officially "In stock" at Amazon (but not yet at Netgear?).

Sometimes it takes them a while to update their website. Amazon is usually pretty quick to do so [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]
post #10 of 18 Old 04-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Jack of mpcclub has posted a review.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Let me start by saying I was NOT looking for a Windows Media Center Extender, I was looking for a device that could handle my library of stored media (movies and music), especially it's ability to play DVD images, including the disc menus. For this purpose (provided you have a wireless N or wired network connection) the EVA-9150 is an awesome device, handling virtually any file format you can throw at it without problems. It's also a great internet radio streaming device, and has a nifty RSS feed reading applet.

The device includes a 500GB hard drive, but unless your home network is slow and you're having buffering problems, I doubt it would be of much use. If it is, you can swap it out for drives of up to 1TB in size.

Output options are plentiful, including HDMI, component and digital outputs, as well as standard composite and analog audio, so interfacing to virtually any home theater system is realatively easy. Wireless and wired networking are built in and easy to use, and software is included to help you catalog the media on the various devices you may have around your house. Overall, I found everything relatively easy to use for a person familar with PCs and home theater, though the sheer number of options may be intimidating to a novice.

The one place where there's room for improvement is it's ability to play streaming video from the Internet. The two biggest omissions are it's inability to stream video from providers such as Amazon and Netflix, and the inability to play Flash videos (such as those provided on Hulu).

If Netgear adds these capabilities to their next upgrade, they'd have a device that would be hard to beat. For now, they merely have the best way I've found to make media stored on PCs and network attached storage devices playable on your home theater system.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0203 View Post

The one place where there's room for improvement is it's ability to play streaming video from the Internet. The two biggest omissions are it's inability to stream video from providers such as Amazon and Netflix, and the inability to play Flash videos (such as those provided on Hulu).

If Netgear adds these capabilities to their next upgrade, they'd have a device that would be hard to beat. For now, they merely have the best way I've found to make media stored on PCs and network attached storage devices playable on your home theater system.

Join the EVA9000 Beta forum and download version 2.2.135. This version can do that via PlayOn software installed on your pc.

QUOTE: "To access your Netflix instant play queue, Hulu playlists, and Amazon On-Demand movies, you need to setup these accounts with the PlayOn service."
post #13 of 18 Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . the EVA-9150 is an awesome device, handling virtually any file format you can throw at it . . . .

"Awesome"? Not until it can at least stream TrueHD. How'd it get out the door this late without it?
post #14 of 18 Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

"Awesome"? Not until it can at least stream TrueHD. How'd it get out the door this late without it?

While I understand your frustration, please don't quote me out of context. Dolby TrueHD is an audio format used on Blu Ray and HD-DVD discs. I too would like to see better support for Blu Ray audio and video file formats as well as other forms of streaming media down the road, but these aren't a high priority for me right now.

As was stated in the review, I was looking for a device to stream my stored DVD media, and for this function the EVA-9150 does a very good job, especially considering its HDMI 1.3 support and Dolby Digital and DTS pass-thru. Hopefully, someone who has similar needs will find the review useful.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As was stated in the review, I was looking for a device to stream my stored DVD media . . .

What you actually said was:
Quote:

I was looking for a device that could handle my library of stored media (movies and music), especially it's ability to play DVD images . . .[emphasis added]

Now you claim that what you're really looking for is a device that will play last-gen media. Well, that is no challenge and there are lots of such products; some have been available for years (and for a lot less than $400). Many are truly "awesome." (Think Xbox/XBMC). This base is covered--and has been for some time--so it is not a priority for me. Such capabilities are neither news nor noteworthy (unless one has spent the last several years under water). They are simply "old hat."

Of course, I know perfectly well what TrueHD is. At this point, in mid-2009, BD is a prioity for me. These are current media, not pie-in-the-sky. The EVA 9150 is a brand-new product that touts support for such media and even delivers some of it -- but not all or some of the most importand parts. Users should not now be hoping for a firmware update to add capability that this product should have had out of the gate. Netgear is at least six months behind the curve, maybe more. (My TViX has played BDs--including streamed HD audio--since last fall; my receiver has decoded such streams since the winter before that.)
post #16 of 18 Old 05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Which TVIX is that? Is it playing BD from ISOs or MKVs?

Looking into the TVIX, Popcorn Hour and Netgear myself and looking for any and all comparisons.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Affiliated
post #17 of 18 Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Which TVIX is that? Is it playing BD from ISOs or MKVs?

Looking into the TVIX, Popcorn Hour and Netgear myself and looking for any and all comparisons.

Thanks

I'm sorry: are you addressing me? If so, it's the TViX M-6500a. (The 7000 supposedly differs only in its case.) It passes TrueHD and DTS-HD MA without problem.

I use eac3to to demux the main video and highest-quality audio streams only and tsMuxeR to remux them to a BD file structure. There is no further processing. (Other than the neatness of a single file, I never saw the point of .ISOs: I want just the movie.) I used to remux to just the .m2ts file itself, which played fine, except that the TViX would recognize the 24 fps cadence only for MPEG-2 encodes. Keeping the full structure allows it to handle AVC and VC-1 properly, as well.

I believe that the Popcorn Hour A-110 performs similarly. (It seems to have a more active third-party developer community.) Both TViX and PCH are more mature products than the EVA 9150, both have been out for months and both have lots of experienced, helpful users and both have active threads on this forum.

Although both models work well, you might not want to run out and buy one right now. We are within two months of a refresh, according to Hi-Jack, the moderator at mpcclub.com (a site specializing in streamers) who also posts here. I was myself trying to decide whether to buy a PCH or another TViX when I read this. Now, I'll wait and see what materializes.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-01-2009, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I dont know what most of the posters above are saying but I have a 9150 and a gigabit ethernet network with draft n. until I installed vista sp2 the 9150 would not work on my network wired [ it doesnt do gigabit and according to reviews doesnt need to ] so I had to try it using wireless N and it works well. now that the ethernet is finally working I have to say this is the box I have been waiting for. I was interested in the popcorn hour til I read some of the dissatisfied postings in their forums. the tvix 6500/7000 was next up but I just didnt feel right about it. read some cnet's review of the 9150 and that sold me. since I do a lot of downloading of tv shows and football games I need to have the format compatibility that this box provides. and since I apparently am one of the few people who rip dvds as iso's, [I will not give up any features or tolerate compression] and I burn the good ones to dual layer dvd verbatim, I need something that will enable dvd playback from digital form without physical media at all when I wish. on that score I say just playback the bolt iso and marvel at what this box can do. very happy owner here who got it for a good price too. highly recommended. now I just need to find someone to buy my un-needed xbox 360 elite.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page