Western Digital - WDTV - NAS USB THREAD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i would like start a thread for the WD TV of known USB NAS servers/drives that work....the other thread is just useless

LaCie Ethernet Big Disk - 1 TB (301156U)
LaCie Ethernet Disk mini V2 - 500 GB (301138U)
Buffalo DriveStation FlexNet (HD-CE500LU2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsccr View Post

i would like start a thread for the WD TV of known USB NAS servers/drives that work....the other thread is just useless

LaCie Ethernet Big Disk - 1 TB (301156U)
LaCie Ethernet Disk mini V2 - 500 GB (301138U)
Buffalo DriveStation FlexNet (HD-CE500LU2)

Hi, I am researching this topic too.

I read that Buffalo FlexNet does not support NTFS or HFS+. With FAT32, it can't be used for DVD ISOs that are larger than 4GB.

For the LaCie, they don't support NTFS, I am still wondering if I could format it to HFS+ with Windows XP. A more critical issue is that the manual said that for USB to work, you need to install a driver on your host (PC), that does not seem to be possible for the WD HD TV...

Any help?
post #3 of 64 Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 PM

I've been using my WDTV with the Airlink 101 NAS I bought from fry's some time ago when they were on sale for $29. Its works great to upload your video and favorite media to it, I usually do the uploading of movies to it right before I go to bed. I've been ripping all my kids DVD's into ISO's using DVD Shrink ver 3.2. But with my NAS I have to disconnect the USB cable from the WDTV in order to use the LAN connection on the NAS. The WDTV won't recognize the NAS drive if it's connected on the LAN. But that's ok with me, it sure beats moving the unit back in fourth to the home office to update the drive every few days. The only other problem I'm encountering with my WDTV, some ISO's I've loaded up to the NAS, WDTV will not seem them all.
But I can see the ISO in the folder when I view the NAS from the network.
Is that an issue with my WDTV or the way DVD Shrink is creating the ISO.
I've started to use ANYDVD, but this software creates 8gig ISO's from the movie when DVD Shrink creates 4.6 or 4.7 GB files.

post #4 of 64 Old 02-17-2009, 02:29 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention, the Airlink 101 formats the drive in Fat32, so your limted to that 4.7gig file limit, so if you're watching those MKV files, you have to break them apart, there is some software I downloaded that lets you split up those large MKV files.
post #5 of 64 Old 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco916 View Post

I've been using my WDTV with the Airlink 101 NAS I bought from fry's some time ago when they were on sale for $29. Its works great to upload your video and favorite media to it, I usually do the uploading of movies to it right before I go to bed. I've been ripping all my kids DVD's into ISO's using DVD Shrink ver 3.2. But with my NAS I have to disconnect the USB cable from the WDTV in order to use the LAN connection on the NAS. The WDTV won't recognize the NAS drive if it's connected on the LAN. But that's ok with me, it sure beats moving the unit back in fourth to the home office to update the drive every few days. The only other problem I'm encountering with my WDTV, some ISO's I've loaded up to the NAS, WDTV will not seem them all.
But I can see the ISO in the folder when I view the NAS from the network.
Is that an issue with my WDTV or the way DVD Shrink is creating the ISO.
I've started to use ANYDVD, but this software creates 8gig ISO's from the movie when DVD Shrink creates 4.6 or 4.7 GB files.

Thanks for the info! I read the manual and got confused though. It says it supports only FAT32, but file size limit is 16GB? I thought FAT32 is limited to 4GB per file... no?
post #6 of 64 Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM

Yea i think it's 4.7GB per file on Fat32 drives
post #7 of 64 Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM

I bought a Netdisk NAS enclosure about 1.5 years ago. I had been using it as a NAS. After I bought the WDTV, I hook it up using the USB port and upgraded the HD to 750GB. I can use either the USB or LAN on the Ximeta but not at the same time. Most of the time this is not an issue as I don't use the computer when I am watching TV (my wife does and she not too happy about it). The USB has priority over the LAN. I ripped my DVDs over LAN and then watch it using USB. This is what it looks like. I think they don't sell direct anymore. http://www.amazon.com/Ximeta-ENCL-1P.../dp/B000E1D36S

I found an OEM product online but I don't know how it works. I don't believe there is a device that will allow you use the LAN and USB at the same time
post #8 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM

I just found this new USB NAS that will allow the user to toggle between USB and LAN. Seems like a "perfect" fit for the WDTV. Has anyone tried it?

Linkhttp://www.buffalotech.com/products/...ation-flexnet/
post #9 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJfan View Post

I just found this new USB NAS that will allow the user to toggle between USB and LAN. Seems like a "perfect" fit for the WDTV. Has anyone tried it?

Linkhttp://www.buffalotech.com/products/...ation-flexnet/

Read some negative reviews on this one, slow performance on ethernet, and no write over ethernet if ntfs... so no go for me.
post #10 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM

Hey guys, just FYI, not sure if you're following some of the other fourms on the WDTV here on AVS firmware section. Some of the other guys have been successful plugging in a USB to LAN connector into the WDTV and you now can stream across your content I will give this a try myself this weekend and see if I can stream across my media from the NAS via the LAN. There is a list of what LAN and wireless USB devices you can use. This will be sweet if this works. From my understanding, the WDTV reads the new Firmware from the USB key, so I guess the Firmware on the actual WDTV is not read
It's bypassed. I think you will need to have your USB to LAN or USB to Wireless stick inserted first, and then plug in your USB stick with the new Firmware. So I guess you loose both USB connections on the WDTV.
post #11 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM

The modified firmware, turns the connected USB HDD of the WDTV into a NAS. You could access it from any device on the network via SMB, FTP, NFS, etc... All you need is the modified firmware and a supported usb-ethernet adapter (like what whe Wii uses for lan). I got mine from a local radioshack for $25.

WDTV owners.
Please visit http://wdtvforum.com for discussion of homebrew, firmware, tutorials, media, help, etc...
post #12 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 12:52 PM

That is sweet Takenover, I'm surprised WD has not done this, or done this in the mass market, they could make some more money selling optional WDTV accessories, maybe they don't want the headache of support issues.
post #13 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM

If I had to guess, I would say they have not done it because they want to sale more harddrives. With this modified firmware, you can stream content from a device on the network. If you wanted to save some $$$, this is one way to use the WDTV with no local harddrive.

WDTV owners.
Please visit http://wdtvforum.com for discussion of homebrew, firmware, tutorials, media, help, etc...
post #14 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 PM

Yeaa, sounds like a good guess, I guess Western Digital Wants to sell as many 2 Terabyte drives as possible. (:
post #15 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 PM

The WDTV needs a hard drive regardless of whether it's networkable or not. So the reason to not have network is probabaly something else.
post #16 of 64 Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM

It does not need a HDD. You could just plug in a $5 pendrive and run the modified firmware.

WDTV owners.
post #17 of 64 Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takenover83 View Post

The modified firmware, turns the connected USB HDD of the WDTV into a NAS. You could access it from any device on the network via SMB, FTP, NFS, etc... All you need is the modified firmware and a supported usb-ethernet adapter (like what whe Wii uses for lan). I got mine from a local radioshack for $25.

Takenover83, do you need to have a PC on to have the WDTV access the NAS? It would be great if the WDTC can access the NAS with the PC being on. Thanks.
post #18 of 64 Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM

From my understanding, you do not need a pc to be on to access your nas via the WDTV. WDTV runs on some variant of linux, and once the modified firmware has been set up properly, it basically will communicate like a pc to your nas.

If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

WDTV owners.
post #19 of 64 Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM

#11, Takenover83 - This is EXCELLENT! ... how did you come across this?
post #20 of 64 Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:

So all we need is to get the usb adapter, download the modified firmware and flash it to WDTV, that is? Thanks a lot!
post #21 of 64 Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is there a list of USB-ethernet adapters that work besides the Trendnet?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #22 of 64 Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Yep, see here for other devices.
http://root.unknown.sk/wdtv/wiki/dok...ed_usb_devices

WDTV owners.
post #23 of 64 Old 03-04-2009, 01:06 PM

takenover

i have a WD TV on the way along with an enclosed 1TB drive...as a newby to the NAS world can you walk me through the steps for this? do i plug the adaptor into the WD TV itself? is this only for streaming? or would i be able to transfer files to the HDD?
post #24 of 64 Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, detailed instructions would be awsome. That firmware topic on this forum is full of giberish to me . Do I just need the kernal thing or all of it?
post #25 of 64 Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Good news and problem.

1. Brought a Airlink 101 USB-to-Ethernet adapter, and connected it to WDTV USB1 port.

2. Downloaded ext3-boot 0.8.5.3 and unzipped to an USB flash drive.

3. Connected a USB hub to WDTV USB2 port, then connected the USB flash drive and my media hard drive to USB1.

4. Started WDTV box, the new firmware was detected by WDTV, then I flashed WDTV with ext2-boot 0.8.5.3.

5. Re-started WDTV box, the startup screen showed my IP address, and both LED on USB-to-Ethernet adapter turns on. I can also see WDTV IP address from my router.

6. I can play files from my media hard drive that is connected to USB1.

7. I can FTP to the WDTV and can see a bunch of files but I can't find the media hard drive connected to USB1. Does anyone know how I can access the HD connected to USB1?
post #26 of 64 Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Look in /tmp/media/usb/usb1

WDTV owners.
post #27 of 64 Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJfan View Post

Good news and problem.

1. Brought a Airlink 101 USB-to-Ethernet adapter, and connected it to WDTV USB1 port.

2. Downloaded ext3-boot 0.8.5.3 and unzipped to an USB flash drive.

3. Connected a USB hub to WDTV USB2 port, then connected the USB flash drive and my media hard drive to USB1.

4. Started WDTV box, the new firmware was detected by WDTV, then I flashed WDTV with ext2-boot 0.8.5.3.

5. Re-started WDTV box, the startup screen showed my IP address, and both LED on USB-to-Ethernet adapter turns on. I can also see WDTV IP address from my router.

6. I can play files from my media hard drive that is connected to USB1.

7. I can FTP to the WDTV and can see a bunch of files but I can't find the media hard drive connected to USB1. Does anyone know how I can access the HD connected to USB1?

Cool! Thanks for the steps you tried, now I am more confident to try it out!
Steps 3, 6, you mean USB2? Why do you need the hub? I could have flash using USB2, then after the flashing, take out the flash drive, and put a usb hdd, right?
post #28 of 64 Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM

No, the modified firmware is not completely flashed to the WDTV. Either use a hub, if you want to have 3 things plugged in (hdd, ethernet, pendrive, etc..) or you can format your hdd, to contain two partitions. One being fat32 and the other being another supported format, such as ntfs, ext3, etc.. The small fat32 partition would host the firmware.

WDTV owners.
post #29 of 64 Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namartlu View Post

Cool! Thanks for the steps you tried, now I am more confident to try it out!
Steps 3, 6, you mean USB2? Why do you need the hub? I could have flash using USB2, then after the flashing, take out the flash drive, and put a usb hdd, right?

I don't think it matters which one you use but you must connect the HD by itself to one of the USB port. The USB flash drive and USB LAN adapter both go to the USB hub. If I connect the HD to the USB hub, WDTV cannot see the HD.

Also, you cannot take the firmware flash drive out. Even though I flash the WDTV with the new firmware it still needs it. I took it out and the WDTV hangs. I thought I fried it!

Don't celebrate yet. The transfer speed is awful. I have a USB 2.0 hub and 2.0 USB to LAN and I am getting write speed of around 500 kbs (NAS ---> WDTV Portable HD). Read speed (WDTV Portable HD ---> NAS) is better at 1500 kbs.

Anyone know why?
post #30 of 64 Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:

No, the modified firmware is not completely flashed to the WDTV. Either use a hub, if you want to have 3 things plugged in (hdd, ethernet, pendrive, etc..) or you can format your hdd, to contain two partitions. One being fat32 and the other being another supported format, such as ntfs, ext3, etc.. The small fat32 partition would host the firmware.

Oh, I see, thanks for the clarification and the suggestion, the two-partition trick seems good as I don't want to add a hub...

Probably a dumb question, why is the modified firmware not completely flashed to the WDTV like the official firmware does?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page