WDTV firmware with dvdrom enabled - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 128 Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. If you have a wdtv you might be in the group I am that was annoyed that western digital didn't allow usb dvd drives. Well in case you haven't followed the firmware hacking thread I coded something, cd-manager, that allows you to use a dvd drive with your wdtv. Until now you had to use Zoranders ext3-boot, which maybe requires a bit of finesse. Well today i remixed both official firmwares with cd-manager, so now you can flash your wdtv with my firmware and use external dvd drives.

NOTE: you must have a supported drive/flashdisk inserted and media library turned ON. Since dvd drives are officially unsupported the wdtv will report 'no storage present' without a supported drive in. no way around this. All drives must be attached at boot to be detected at this time.

I've also added support for ext2, ext3, xfs, and reiser partitions IF they are inserted at boot time. Hotplugging will come eventually.

There is an issue or two that i'm working out mentioned on the page below, so keep in mind this is just a beta release of sorts

This thread is for people to say if their drive does/doesn't work and general questions/issues. ** This is just a beta and there are minor issues atm, note them at the linked page **

For the record my dvd drive is a Plextor 716A and it allows fast forward, reverse, subtitles, and resumes.

http://b-rad.cc/wdtv-firmware-dvd-enabled

***NOTE*** I have tested both versions multiple times and they work correctly, but I make absolutely no guarantees about anything and am in no way responsible for anything, should something go drastically wrong for who knows what reason. it really shouldn't, but...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Great work, but link is down (The uploader has removed this file from the server)
post #3 of 128 Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Great work, but link is down (The uploader has removed this file from the server)

Sorry, after I posted it and continued messing around I seemed to have thrown the player in a loop somehow...not sure why it happened after having worked all day, but perhaps i did something in my final prep. I had to use my serial cable to recover, so I pulled everything down to prevent this from happening to someone else...if it happens to you you are not bricked, just looping.

I am fixing today and will update soon, sorry about the false start

<<< edit: totally unable to reproduce the freeze today, so I'm thinking it was something I randomly did >>>

post #4 of 128 Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Hi, very nice job!

Soon i'll test it with Samsung SE-S084B and i'll notice about it.

But a question: is it possible to read original DVDs with CCS & C.?
The limitations of this firmware, there's a possibility to be removed someday?

Bye.
post #5 of 128 Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 AM

Wonderful release!
But, is hotplugging no longer available at all? Also with FAT32 hdd/pendrive?
post #6 of 128 Old 03-07-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayami View Post

Hi, very nice job!

Soon i'll test it with Samsung SE-S084B and i'll notice about it.

But a question: is it possible to read original DVDs with CCS & C.?
The limitations of this firmware, there's a possibility to be removed someday?

Bye.

Thanks!.

&...no. Western digital didnt pay to license css i imagine as this is not a dvd player, so I'm not going to open any can of worms. Plus whereas I might be able to get it working it would probably be illegal where I am, so no again.

The point of this is to be able to watch x264 mkv's or xvid off dvds, buy a $10 dvd player if you want real dvds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodocet View Post

Wonderful release!
But, is hotplugging no longer available at all? Also with FAT32 hdd/pendrive?

Thanks!. I have not done anything to the functionality of officially supported drives. FAT32, NTFS, and HFS can all still be ejected&hotplugged whenever...just not external dvdroms, ext2, ext3, xfs, or reiser drives. I'll work that out when I have time.

post #7 of 128 Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM

This looks very interesting. I need to get an external USB to try it.
You should post this here as well: wdtvforum.com

The best source for WDTV tips and homebrew WDTVforum.com
post #8 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 05:12 AM

Would this firmware work with BD-ROM drive or just DVD-ROM? I have an external BD-ROM Liteon which would be cool if it would work with this firmware.

Cheers
post #9 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM

I´ve noticed i have to keep plugged the usb stick with the firmware after having flashed the WDTV with the dvd enabled firmware, is it normal?. Great work!!.

PHILIPS ED16DVDRK/00 working fine.
post #10 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velow View Post

I´ve noticed i have to keep plugged the usb stick with the firmware after having flashed the WDTV with the dvd enabled firmware, is it normal?

YES.

LG GDR8164B over AKASA CASE, PERFECT PLAY jijiji

thanks b-rad.cc for your work
post #11 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I´ve noticed i have to keep plugged the usb stick with the firmware after having flashed the WDTV with the dvd enabled firmware, is it normal?. Great work!!.

You mean the firmware is not flashed into WDTV, same as ext3-boot firmware?
If I unplug the usb stick with firmware, then plug in other usb drive, the firmware will fail to load?
post #12 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Hello, (excuse my english, i am French). I've a question : I've just buy a WDTV and i have a problem with some video. It's possible to read rv9 or rv10 mkv with the WDTV ?
post #13 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:

If I unplug the usb stick with firmaware, then plug other usb drive, the firmware will fail to load?
post #14 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis113 View Post

If I unplug the usb stick with firmaware, then plug other usb drive, the firmware will fail to load?

This a permanent flash, once its flashed you may remove the key that contained it and not reinsert it again. This is the whole point.

post #15 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad.cc View Post

This a permanent flash, once its flashed you may remove the key that contained it and not reinsert it again. This is the whole point.

In my case , i flashed my WDTV with the enabled dvd firmware, it restarted after it got the 100% of the flashing bar....if i switch off the key with the firmware my dvd unit disappeares, it appeares again when i plug it again. When i check the firmware version installed i get "firmware 1.01.02". May be something was wrong during the flashing.....

"After the wdtv has booted if media library is on go to Video Folders and you’ll see everything you have connected! If media library is not on, you will not see anything connected..." Media library on?....i dont understand.
post #16 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

NOTE: you must have a supported drive/flashdisk inserted and media library turned ON. Since dvd drives are officially unsupported the wdtv will report 'no storage present' without a supported drive in. no way around this.

Quote:

In my case , i flashed my WDTV with the enabled dvd firmware, it restarted after it got the 100% of the flashing bar....if i switch off the key with the firmware my dvd unit disappeares, it appeares again when i plug it again. When i check the firmware version installed i get "firmware 1.01.02". May be something was wrong during the flashing.....

"After the wdtv has booted if media library is on go to Video Folders and you'll see everything you have connected! If media library is not on, you will not see anything connected..." Media library on?....i dont understand.

In case you miss the bold up there, have you tried sticking a different key/drive in? Or maybe just deleting the firmware off of the stick and reinserting it. You need something supported in to see anything.

I don't change what the firmware internally thinks its version is, so no suprise there. If it went to 100% and rebooted *AND* you used my modified firmware, then your dvd drive will work *ONLY* when anything supported is inserted...like it does currently it sounds like.

post #17 of 128 Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:

flashed successfully.
my LG dvd-rom is recognised by this new firmware.
However, are subtitles are not supported at the moment? Hope it can be solved soon.
anyway, thanks for the great work, much better than WD team.
post #18 of 128 Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 AM

The first post says subtitles work
post #19 of 128 Old 03-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Just tried it with my external LITE-ON EZ-DUB dvd player ... it wasn't recognized.

post #20 of 128 Old 03-10-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaints View Post

The first post says subtitles work

yours working?
I tried several of my discs not working.
Maybe it refers to embedded subtitles. I don't know.
Hope brother b-rad.cc can help us.
post #21 of 128 Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:

In case you miss the bold up there, have you tried sticking a different key/drive in? Or maybe just deleting the firmware off of the stick and reinserting it. You need something supported in to see anything.

I don't change what the firmware internally thinks its version is, so no suprise there. If it went to 100% and rebooted *AND* you used my modified firmware, then your dvd drive will work *ONLY* when anything supported is inserted...like it does currently it sounds like.

Ok i found the answer to my problem, everything was right. I didn´t know you have to plug the dvd unit "AND" a HDD at the same time. That´s because when i plugged the pendrive with the firmware started to work, it wasn´t the firmware inside the pendrive which makes it work, was the pendrive itself plugged. I proved some others HDD without the firmware decompressed inside and it works, recognizes the dvd unit.
Thanks a lot. Nice work!!!.
post #22 of 128 Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Hi all,
I was hoping that this firmware could solve my problem with acessing the WDTV box to my XFS formated server. But i have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me?
post #23 of 128 Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Liked: 11
Thank you for all your efforts! Nice work.

Please someone let me know when an X-Box 360 external HD-DVD add-on will work with this firmware.

I don't expect it to play the HD-DVD's directly from the disc through the WD TV. I know it would only work to read DVD recordable discs with files on them compatible with the WD player.

But some might not want to buy a separate external DVD drive if they already have an X-Box HD-DVD add-on. These can be had on the cheap these days, for about $25-30.

I don't have an external DVD, but I might rather pick up an X-Box HD-DVD add-on for like $25, if it could work with the WD TV HD.

The only downside of course is that the X-Box add-on will only read DVD's and will not burn, like other DVD externals. But it reads HD-DVD's as well which is a bonus.
post #24 of 128 Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Please someone let me know when an X-Box 360 external HD-DVD add-on will work with this firmware.

I have both xbox360 HD-DVD add-on and Samsung external writer, all can be recognized by this dvd enabled fw.
But the only strange thing is ext .srt subtitle can not be displayed yet, only the embedded subtitle show well.
post #25 of 128 Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 AM

confirmed now, only embedded subtitles working.
post #26 of 128 Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsscc View Post

I have both xbox360 HD-DVD add-on and Samsung external writer, all can be recognized by this dvd enabled fw.
But the only strange thing is ext .srt subtitle can not be displayed yet, only the embedded subtitle show well.

Thanks! That is good to know. I might have to pick one of these up. Is there ever any hope that one could play the content directly off an HD-DVD through the WD? I'm guessing no.

First of all, the WD doesn't support the .evo extension, which is what I think the video container is on HD-DVD's. But let's say in a future firmware upgrade WD added support for .evo

I'm assuming it still would not work, because of encryption?

What happens when you put in an HD-DVD movie in your X-Box add-on and feed it to the WD via the USB cable?

I'm assuming you cannot browse or see the file structure? Does the HVDVD_TS folder or the .EVO files even show up?

Thanks for all your help.
post #27 of 128 Old 03-14-2009, 09:14 PM

could u explain the way u got the device out of the looping mode?
post #28 of 128 Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Works off the USB port.

Which was nice.
post #29 of 128 Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM

hello everybody, long time reader, second time posting. hoping someone could explain exactly the process of flashing this device. i downloaded the firmware and it goes through the motion of updating, but every time it reboots, it tells me that i have a new firmware on the usb stick that im using. Is there something that im missing? Im trying to use a xbox 360 hddvd addon and it is not recognizing it. Thanks if anyone could help me with this.
post #30 of 128 Old 03-17-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnunn128 View Post

hello everybody, long time reader, second time posting. hoping someone could explain exactly the process of flashing this device. i downloaded the firmware and it goes through the motion of updating, but every time it reboots, it tells me that i have a new firmware on the usb stick that im using. Is there something that im missing? Im trying to use a xbox 360 hddvd addon and it is not recognizing it. Thanks if anyone could help me with this.

If you have flashed with DVD mod you don't have to put the usbkey with DVD mod/Boot ext3 firm... just a usbkey, empty also.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page