Dedicated Music Streamer FLAC + NAS + Pandora REQ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mwaarna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wanting to get a Digital Music player for my home theater.

I currently have a ps3/360/Popcorn Hour..

They do not play FLAC files and do not work with Popcorn Hour...

I have a Promise NAS which I would like to stream FLAC Files from to listen to.

I have been using the ps3 to play music cds, but I want to get rid of all my CDS and convert to FLACs.

Two players which I have seen are:

1) Logitech Squeezebox Duet
2) Sonos

Any other players I should be looking at?

My main question is Can both units stream from a NAS?

My HT:
Onkyo Pro 885
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amp
Polk LSI speakers
SVS PB12/+2 SUB
mwaarna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

I am wanting to get a Digital Music player for my home theater.

I currently have a ps3/360/Popcorn Hour..

They do not play FLAC files and do not work with Popcorn Hour...

I have a Promise NAS which I would like to stream FLAC Files from to listen to.

I have been using the ps3 to play music cds, but I want to get rid of all my CDS and convert to FLACs.

Two players which I have seen are:

1) Logitech Squeezebox Duet
2) Sonos

Any other players I should be looking at?

My main question is Can both units stream from a NAS?

My HT:
Onkyo Pro 885
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amp
Polk LSI speakers
SVS PB12/+2 SUB

Well, Squeezebox and Sonos are both excellent audio streamers, and offer many advantages over units like the PS3 and PCH. However, both PS3 and PCH will play FLAC; PS3 requires a transcoder like ps3mediaserver, and PCH does it right out of the box.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mwaarna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Well, Squeezebox and Sonos are both excellent audio streamers, and offer many advantages over units like the PS3 and PCH. However, both PS3 and PCH will play FLAC; PS3 requires a transcoder like ps3mediaserver, and PCH does it right out of the box.

CD

I would prefer not to use any sort of transcoder in between..

The PCH plays video files just fine, but it was never meant to be used as a music player.. It chokes quite often, and it doesnt have a good media player...

Plus One thing That is a requirement is the ability to use Pandora...
Which neither of those do..
mwaarna is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

I would prefer not to use any sort of transcoder in between..

The PCH plays video files just fine, but it was never meant to be used as a music player.. It chokes quite often, and it doesnt have a good media player...

Plus One thing That is a requirement is the ability to use Pandora...
Which neither of those do..

Yup, I understand the workings of PS3 and PCH; I have both, as well as 3 Squeezeboxes. As I said, Squeezebox and Sonos are great; the argument in the Sonos camp is it is very easy to set-up, but of course it costs a bit more. I don't find Squeezebox hard, but that's a relative term; compared to your avergage bear, I'm pretty good with PCs, networking, devices like this, etc. Pick your poison. If you've got about a week of free time on your hands, you could always wade through the Squeeze v. Sonos thread, but I wouldn't recommend it; it's not for the faint of heart.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
pglover19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Yup, I understand the workings of PS3 and PCH; I have both, as well as 3 Squeezeboxes. As I said, Squeezebox and Sonos are great; the argument in the Sonos camp is it is very easy to set-up, but of course it costs a bit more. I don't find Squeezebox hard, but that's a relative term; compared to your avergage bear, I'm pretty good with PCs, networking, devices like this, etc. Pick your poison. If you've got about a week of free time on your hands, you could always wade through the Squeeze v. Sonos thread, but I wouldn't recommend it; it's not for the faint of heart.

CD

I have the Sonos music system. I was able to find 3 of the BU130 bundle packs at BestBuy for 1/2 price which is a great deal. Sonos has introduced new models and has discounted the older models. In my opinion, the older models are better than the newer models. Most all BestBuy store are sold out, and nothing is available now..

The system itself is great. Easy to setup and the Sonos controller is well built and user friendly. My wife can even operate this system. It is that easy.. My setup does include a NAS on my network where all my FLAC music files are located. FLAC is definitely the way to go... The sound is crystal clear, and the 50 watt zoneplayer (ZP100) is really good. I have some Speakercraft AIM8 Two connected to the system and the 50 watt amplifier drives these speakers very well.

All in all, this is a great system at a great price if you can find the older BU130 bundle packs.. Easy to setup, easy to navigate with the controller.
pglover19 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mwaarna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

I have the Sonos music system. I was able to find 3 of the BU130 bundle packs at BestBuy for 1/2 price which is a great deal. Sonos has introduced new models and has discounted the older models. In my opinion, the older models are better than the newer models. Most all BestBuy store are sold out, and nothing is available now..

The system itself is great. Easy to setup and the Sonos controller is well built and user friendly. My wife can even operate this system. It is that easy.. My setup does include a NAS on my network where all my FLAC music files are located. FLAC is definitely the way to go... The sound is crystal clear, and the 50 watt zoneplayer (ZP100) is really good. I have some Speakercraft AIM8 Two connected to the system and the 50 watt amplifier drives these speakers very well.

All in all, this is a great system at a great price if you can find the older BU130 bundle packs.. Easy to setup, easy to navigate with the controller.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175902414896

They have the BU130 for Half Price, which is at 500 dollars online...

The Squeezebox Duet is going for approx 220 on ebay new and sealed....

For my main uses for now.. I only need a 1 Zone player for my apartment..
Non-powered since I will be plugging it in directly to my Pre-Amp

But What I have seen/read the Sonos theres no software to install and it can just hit up any SMB/NFS share and read files....

Where as the Squeezebox you need to install software...

I already have 2 Promise NAS's that I would like to take advantage of.....

Also do either of the Units interface with the iphone/ipods?

And either take external Drives directly?
mwaarna is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175902414896

They have the BU130 for Half Price, which is at 500 dollars online...

The Squeezebox Duet is going for approx 220 on ebay new and sealed....

For my main uses for now.. I only need a 1 Zone player for my apartment..
Non-powered since I will be plugging it in directly to my Pre-Amp

But What I have seen/read the Sonos theres no software to install and it can just hit up any SMB/NFS share and read files....

Where as the Squeezebox you need to install software...

I already have 2 Promise NAS's that I would like to take advantage of.....

Also do either of the Units interface with the iphone/ipods?

And either take external Drives directly?

Don't be fooled by that link; the price is advertised online, but says only available for local pick-up at the store...and as someone else mentioned, they are almost certainly all gone by now.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
pglover19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Don't be fooled by that link; the price is advertised online, but says only available for local pick-up at the store...and as someone else mentioned, they are almost certainly all gone by now.

CD

Yes.. They are definitely gone.. I was very lucky to find 3 of these bundles. This is an awesome price and the system works flawlessly.
pglover19 is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175902414896

They have the BU130 for Half Price, which is at 500 dollars online...

The Squeezebox Duet is going for approx 220 on ebay new and sealed....

For my main uses for now.. I only need a 1 Zone player for my apartment..
Non-powered since I will be plugging it in directly to my Pre-Amp

But What I have seen/read the Sonos theres no software to install and it can just hit up any SMB/NFS share and read files....

Where as the Squeezebox you need to install software...

I already have 2 Promise NAS's that I would like to take advantage of.....

Also do either of the Units interface with the iphone/ipods?

And either take external Drives directly?

Only Sonos accesses the music directly, as long as the NAS is SMB (which is 99.9% of them out there). Squeeze requires you run a server, either on your PC, on the web (syncing is lacking with the webserver), or on your NAS. Not all NAS units are capable of running the server, not all run it efficiently, and some are easier to set up than others. If you decide on the Squeeze, be prepared for some medium to difficult NAS setup, depending on the NAS you puchase. If you aren't up for that; or like me, you are up for it but don't want to do your work at home, then take a look at the Sonos.

I own a Sonos, and they are literally plug in, install software (optional), point the Music Library to your music share(s), push two buttons on each player, and go. That's it. Plus, you get a free iPhone/Touch remote application, which makes your iPhone/Touch a Sonos remote.

Edit: About interfacing with the iPhone/iPod - Every Sonos player has an analog line-in that can take any analog input, digitize it, and stream it to any other zone. Squeeze does not have analog in, and neither have a dedicated iPod port. But you really don't need it if you have your music library on your NAS.

The Sonos also has 2 network ports on the back of the players. Some just plug their NAS drive into this port, that way all streaming is limited to the Sonosnet, freeing up bandwidth on your router. I use one of mine for my Blu-ray player's internet access. I can actually stream Netflix over this connection via Sonosnet.
Jgatie is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mwaarna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that the Squeezebox is over a year old.. How long inbetween refreshes?

How old is the Sonus model? the 130 is old, but how long ago did the 150 mode debut?

Any other competitors for this type of device out there now?

Anything announced to be new and upcoming?
mwaarna is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

I noticed that the Squeezebox is over a year old.. How long inbetween refreshes?

How old is the Sonus model? the 130 is old, but how long ago did the 150 mode debut?

Any other competitors for this type of device out there now?

Anything announced to be new and upcoming?

Linksys, to not very good reviews.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/KWHA700

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1107152

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 03-07-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

I noticed that the Squeezebox is over a year old.. How long inbetween refreshes?

How old is the Sonus model? the 130 is old, but how long ago did the 150 mode debut?

Any other competitors for this type of device out there now?

Anything announced to be new and upcoming?

The 150 debuted in 2008. Please note Sonos is more of an appliance than a gadget. Their philosophy is they expect Sonos products to be in service for 10 years or more. They are really made that durable.
Jgatie is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mwaarna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie View Post

Plus, you get a free iPhone/Touch remote application, which makes your iPhone/Touch a Sonos remote.

I have a iPhone...

Sonos - ZonePlayer 90

That is the product equivalent of the Squeezebox receiver right?

Because I want to just get 1 Zone up and running I wouldn't need the bundle setup.. The Bundle from what i see comes with a 90(which is just a receiver), 120(which is a receiver with a built in50x2 amp), and the remote control.

But if I could use my iphone as a remote control for the Sonos, then All i would need is the ZonePlayer 90?
mwaarna is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

I have a iPhone...

Sonos - ZonePlayer 90

That is the product equivalent of the Squeezebox receiver right?

Because I want to just get 1 Zone up and running I wouldn't need the bundle setup.. The Bundle from what i see comes with a 90(which is just a receiver), 120(which is a receiver with a built in50x2 amp), and the remote control.

But if I could use my iphone as a remote control for the Sonos, then All i would need is the ZonePlayer 90?

That's right. IMO, the iPhone/Touch app makes the Sonos a much more approachable option.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 03-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Jonnio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

I have a iPhone...

Sonos - ZonePlayer 90

That is the product equivalent of the Squeezebox receiver right?

Because I want to just get 1 Zone up and running I wouldn't need the bundle setup.. The Bundle from what i see comes with a 90(which is just a receiver), 120(which is a receiver with a built in50x2 amp), and the remote control.

But if I could use my iphone as a remote control for the Sonos, then All i would need is the ZonePlayer 90?

You will likely have to hard wire the Sonos, but yeah, that would be a good way to go.

For one zone with the ITouch, I would probably recommend Sonos too. For me, the cost difference was huge, but I am running many zones, so the couple hundred bucks per zone adds up fast. (Plus now that I have 2 booms I would never go back to something without an equivalent)

I wouldn't even look at a Duet in your situation, really more of an SB Classic vs Sonos -- unless you want to get off dirt cheap and buy an SB Receiver and do the hack to set it up without a controller.
Jonnio is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post

You will likely have to hard wire the Sonos, but yeah, that would be a good way to go.

For one zone with the ITouch, I would probably recommend Sonos too. For me, the cost difference was huge, but I am running many zones, so the couple hundred bucks per zone adds up fast. (Plus now that I have 2 booms I would never go back to something without an equivalent)

I wouldn't even look at a Duet in your situation, really more of an SB Classic vs Sonos -- unless you want to get off dirt cheap and buy an SB Receiver and do the hack to set it up without a controller.

Or use an SB Receiver with your already existing iPhone/Touch; total out of pocket, $149!

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Senior Member
 
brubacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Or use an SB Receiver with your already existing iPhone/Touch; total out of pocket, $149!"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that you had to have one logitech remote for the initial setup of the receiver... Does the iTouch replace this also?
brubacca is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 03-15-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubacca View Post

"Or use an SB Receiver with your already existing iPhone/Touch; total out of pocket, $149!"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that you had to have one logitech remote for the initial setup of the receiver... Does the iTouch replace this also?

That's a good question...one I'm not 100% sure about. Thinking about it logically, you're probably right in that while the iPhone/Touch can run an interface to handle file browsing/switching, etc., it likely doesn't run the initial set-up software. And since the SB Receiver has no display of its own...

OTOH, I wonder if you might not be able to accomplish the set-up of the Receiver through SqueezeCenter; you know, if you had to. Like I said, it's a good question, and if I were considering this route, I would think it was worth a quick call to Logitech to find out.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Jonnio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubacca View Post

"Or use an SB Receiver with your already existing iPhone/Touch; total out of pocket, $149!"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that you had to have one logitech remote for the initial setup of the receiver... Does the iTouch replace this also?

The ITouch doesn't replace remote setup (as far as I know) I am pretty sure the only way to setup a receiver without an SBC is to use the NetUDAP utility.

It is a fairly easy process (I have played with it to enable one of my SBRs to be a wifi-ethernet bridge), but it takes more than plug and play install knowledge and is considered a "hack".
Jonnio is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 03-15-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post

The ITouch doesn't replace remote setup (as far as I know) I am pretty sure the only way to setup a receiver with an SBC is to use the NetUDAP utility.

It is a fairly easy process (I have played with it to enable one of my SBRs to be a wifi-ethernet bridge), but it takes more than plug and play install knowledge and is considered a "hack".

Jonnio, I think you made a simple typo here...you mean without an SBC, right?

So you're saying it is possible to set-up an SBR, without an SBC, and then just control it with an iPhone/Touch (or even SC), but you need to be proficient enough to achieve this "hack"? Hey, a hack that saves you $200-250 is a hack worth trying IMO. Good to know; too late for me, and not the way I would have wanted to go anyway...but I like knowing it's something I can suggest to those on a budget.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Jonnio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Jonnio, I think you made a simple typo here...you mean without an SBC, right?

So you're saying it is possible to set-up an SBR, without an SBC, and then just control it with an iPhone/Touch (or even SC), but you need to be proficient enough to achieve this "hack"? Hey, a hack that saves you $200-250 is a hack worth trying IMO. Good to know; too late for me, and not the way I would have wanted to go anyway...but I like knowing it's something I can suggest to those on a budget.

CD

Yeah, it was supposed to say without and SBR -- honestly, the hardest part of the NetUDAP hack is getting it installed on windows. I ended up just saying screw it after adding in various repositories and things and just rebooted the laptop to Linux making the install a lot simpler.

I might have done it that way if IPeng was out as a native app when I started buying stuff, but I love having the remote as a walk around player with headphones, so no regrets here.
Jonnio is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 03-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna View Post

I have a iPhone...

Sonos - ZonePlayer 90

That is the product equivalent of the Squeezebox receiver right?

Because I want to just get 1 Zone up and running I wouldn't need the bundle setup.. The Bundle from what i see comes with a 90(which is just a receiver), 120(which is a receiver with a built in50x2 amp), and the remote control.

But if I could use my iphone as a remote control for the Sonos, then All i would need is the ZonePlayer 90?



Correct. I just recently jumped into the Sonos fold and it's one of my single best audio purchases ever. I bought a ZP90 and control it with an iPod Touch and my pc's. I had my zoning all set with my AVR before I bought the ZP90 so I had no real need for additional units. It's very simple to setup and use. I have the analog outs to an unused input on my AVR for my multiroom audio (AVR won't allow a dig input to be used in rooms 2 and 3) and I have a digital connection to CD in on my AVR for highre quality listening in my main room.
Mark F is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mwaarna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just Out of Curiosity....

What programs are you guys using to Convert your CDs to FLAC?

I have a few albums that I ripped a while ago.. I think I used Easy CD pro, or something along those lines.. But I cant seem to find the program now..

Also as of Yet, I have not made any decisions to purchase one system or the other....

For Now I am still either playing CDs or using my PC to play music..
mwaarna is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Member
 
ghislain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) but there are others that do an excellent job too.
EAC needs some fiddling to configure it but once done you can save the settings to a profile and forget about it.

Have only recently decided to go for the Sonos solution myself - hassle free and works fantastic (although I am no slough with networking).
ghislain is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off