post #31 of 39 Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

your not.... Sonos and Slingbox are nothing alike... He probably meant squeezebox/duet.....

Ah, you're probably right. Jgatie certainly thinks so...lol.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jgatie got the most of your questions - I will hit on reliability a little bit. Individual product reliability is going to be about the same, but system reliability has a chance to be better with Sonos. That is because Squeeze products depend on your local network and its ability to handle the traffic. This is the root of the majority of squeeze problems and an issue that Sonos doesn't have since they are on their own network.

What I mean by product reliability is that in two setups that are both working equally well, they both have about the same chances of a hardware failure that is going to cause issues.

Also on system reliability, squeeze updates can, on occasion, cause problems. Since they occur at a much more regular rate there is an increased chance of failure there too. (Note, I have not had any issues with software upgrades, but some people have so YMMV)
post #33 of 39 Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Hey guys, before we start doing another Squeeze v. Sonos comparison, why don't we confirm he actually meant Squeezebox...and not Slingbox, like he said.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #34 of 39 Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Hey guys, before we start doing another Squeeze v. Sonos comparison, why don't we confirm he actually meant Squeezebox...and not Slingbox, like he said.

CD

Yes, I meant Squeezebox Duet.

I've been messing around with SoftSqueeze and have found that when it can't connect to an Internet Radio station it just goes back to standby - as opposed to specifically stating there is a problem. Can anyone who uses the Squeezebox confirm what the display says if it can't connect to a music source?

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #35 of 39 Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
SimpleTheater,

Using a NAS box is exactly like any other network file system. If you've setup multiple users on your box[es], it's simply a matter of creating those accounts on the NAS, or organizing a common user to use for such access. If you indeed have created separate users, it's probably prudent to keep the same IDs/passwords on the NAS, and use ACLs to setup any shared areas.

The music can go into one spot on the NAS; many systems (Sonos in particular) will scan the directory periodically to see if there are changes. As long as the "last accessed time" attributes are updated on the files/directories, Sonos will pick up the changes.

You are correct - there are no perfect systems that I know of for your situation. I'm sure that you are - like I am - used to such a situation by this time; we both seem to be specific and picky in our requirements. I know that I have gotten used to being disappointed by technology

My wife uses Sonos with no problem. She is not very technical at all. Mostly, she just dislikes the multiple remote situation. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could buy a PIC with an ethernet interface, add an IR box, write some code on the PIC (gee, Atmel and some of the Rabbit boards probably have most of these built for me) and send UPnP packets at the Sonos to control it, but it's a losing battle for me. Just too much effort.

Let us know what you end up using. I'm curious to hear how it all turns out for you.

BTW, the forums at Sonos are great - if you have specific questions, I'd highly suggest you post there. Or, as a previous poster indicated, give them a call. It may only take a few minutes, and should help address many of your concerns.

All the best,

-Y
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who
post #36 of 39 Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Why not more of a 'conventional' distributed audio system, interfaced to a computer, if you're already wired?

Russound and Nuvo both have solutions for streaming digital music, with metadata at the keypads.

And I believe you could get there for <$5K.

I'm leaning toward the Nuvo GC myself, with the Nuvo Music Port for digital content access. A 7.1 sound card gives you 3 music streams. I'll buy a dedicated PC or home server as a source.

The Russound CAV, the new Russound C-Series, and the Nuvo GC units would give you the option to stream video, in the future, if you like. I would have no use for this, but the GC gives me more zones (compared with audio-only units - Essentia EG6, Russound CAA).

Nuvo GC with CasaTunes is another option.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #37 of 39 Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Why not more of a 'conventional' distributed audio system, interfaced to a computer, if you're already wired?

This might work if Microsoft ever decided to allow more than one version of Windows Media to play at a time. That's why I'm focused on SONOS and Squeezebox Duet at this time.

post #38 of 39 Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It took a long time, but I finally bit the bullet and bought a Sonos system. I have to say I'm absolutely in love with it.

The only negative thing I can think about is that your computer (which has the Sonos Desktop controller) can't be part of the Sonos groups.

It would be nice if one of the Zone Players had a digital clock built in so my kid could see the time. He really wants to get rid of his Sony Cube clock and with the Alarm function already built into the software, just seeing the clock at night would be a nice touch.

Thanks for everyone's input.

post #39 of 39 Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 AM

Liked: 12
You can add your computer folders to the Sonos music library. But yes, it cannot be a 'zone' like the ZP90 or ZP120.

The controller CR200 has a clock display that you can use while setting it on its charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

It took a long time, but I finally bit the bullet and bought a Sonos system. I have to say I'm absolutely in love with it.

The only negative thing I can think about is that your computer (which has the Sonos Desktop controller) can't be part of the Sonos groups.

It would be nice if one of the Zone Players had a digital clock built in so my kid could see the time. He really wants to get rid of his Sony Cube clock and with the Alarm function already built into the software, just seeing the clock at night would be a nice touch.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page