Does anyone have a LinkTheater™ HD Digital Media Player? Your thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does anyone have a Buffalo LinkTheater HD Digital Media LY-H90LAN Player?
Your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Liked: 10
I have the Linktheater LTH-90WN which is the wireless version. I have had it about two weeks here are the pro's and con's based on my personal experience.

PROS
Nice unit slim fits under the TV, remote neatly laid out, USB on front and two usb's on rear.

802.11n Wireless works great and without connection issues to my linksys AP.

I stream movies from my DLINK 323 NAS without any problems, it just discovered it!

Video performance for the most part is excellent over HMDI. The unit has a maximum resolution of 1080i and will also do 720p and 576i/p and PAL, by pushing the video button repeatedly.

Plays my Divx collection fine without any issue but initially playback was jerky and I spent tons of time figuring out why. If the Divx file is encoded using progressive and the video mode is set to an interlaced setting playback is indeed jerky, also if the resolution of the encoded file is greater than 720*480 it is also jerky, apart from this all is well with the video. However you cannot fast forward the video more than 2x or it locks up.

H.264 using AVC is brilliant on this player. I use Nero to encode high def video and the picture quality is awesome. No limitations on resolution and no issue on ff and rewind.

CONS

Divx/Xvid only supports MP3 sound, no AC3 or AAC passthrough. I have a SP/DIF connection to my amp and if the source file only has AC3 then reading lips is your only choice.

H.264 also will not pass through the AC3 sound and will play AAC in stereo.

WMV9 also will not pass through the AC3 sound.

MPEGII is the only format which will allow you to pass through AC3 but only AC3. If the soundtrack is DTS you are out of luck.

The literature on the product is misleading in this respect. It does clearly state that Xvid/Divx has a limitation of only MP3 playback but does not mention the other codecs as well.

SUMMARY
This is a good product for the price. Overall I'm impressed with the video quality and the flexibility of formats. The GUI is easy to use and my wife can view photos, watch video and listen to music without bugging me.

The only downside is the sound options, if your video collection is MPEG VOB files then you are OK, AC3 will pass through. But if you are like me and most of your collection is Xvid/Divx then you are confined to stereo.

I can't help but think a simple firmware update from Buffalo would fix this. Here's hoping.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Thanks for the info. But I cheaped out and got the WDTV. It is limited, but plays what ever I stick in it with a pen drive. Would be nice to pick it off my computer, but what are you gonna do.

Looks like these devices are in their infancy. When I get tired of this thing, there will probably be better ones out there that will do what I want with ease.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-2009, 06:03 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Jhon,

It's just the surround sound (or lack of) I have a problem with.

It plays HI DEF H.264 over wireless without a glitch, I can live with the sound problem until a update comes out.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page