Can i put my DVD collecting to a hard drive and watch from that? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anything i can quickly put my complete DVD library (about 350 dvds) on to a hard drive that i can just watch from there? Im not interested in putting them to back up disks or anything just a way to quickly access my movies when ever i want.

Would be nice if i could dub them some how quickly to the drive then i could put the originals away somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 01:40 AM

Hi, you will need at least 2000 GB free disk space and a lot of time to grab your disks, but its possible. You can do it with the free DVD Shrink (link to the software and user guide). Use "No compression" settings for untouched quality, Good Luck!
post #3 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungi View Post

You can do it with the free DVD Shrink (link to the software and user guide). Use "No compression" settings for untouched quality, Good Luck!

I second this motion. I rip just the main feature and soundtrack(s) to a single large file. Figure on an average of 5GB per SD movie. Though you can keep the .vob container (DVD file), I convert most to .mpg.

You may also need AnyDVD, which works really well but is not free (but has a free trial, though).

Where do you plan to store them and how do you plan to play them?
post #4 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well i wanted a small single unit if i wanted to drag the unit to a friends and watch on his tv i could just plug it into the front, or side of his tv and go.

After i posted this i started reading the WD tv posts and i think somthing like that is what im wanting but it sounds like its slow as far as the transfer rate from the PC to the HDD.

I thought the WD tv was a single unit but i guess it is just the player and not the storage also.

I thought ide get the WD tv and then a 1TB USB drive, the movies dont need to be the best quality better then VHS but dont have to be as good as DVD

It would be nice if it had a neat display with little icons of the DVD covers i could upload or somthing to better help identify each movie.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #5 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 02:05 PM

I have a 750GB external USB drive with about 450 DVD's that have been converted to MP4/AAC format. It works wonderfully with the WDTV for a portable movie archive.

I use AnyDVD (paid) and HandBrake (free) to convert the main movie from DVD to MP4. I use Tag&Rename (paid) to add the DVD cover art (from NetFlix.com) to the MP4 file so it will show up in the thumbnail mode on the WDTV.

ETA: AnyDVD and Tag&Rename both have a free trial.

Stan

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841"
post #6 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post

I have a 750GB external USB drive with about 450 DVD's that have been converted to MP4/AAC format. It works wonderfully with the WDTV for a portable movie archive.

I use AnyDVD (paid) and HandBrake (free) to convert the main movie from DVD to MP4. I use Tag&Rename (paid) to add the DVD cover art (from NetFlix.com) to the MP4 file so it will show up in the thumbnail mode on the WDTV.

ETA: AnyDVD and Tag&Rename both have a free trial.

Sweet, so you store the netflix movies on the external drive? Im using blockbusteronline.

What was the cost of the dvd artwork? why couldnt you do that yourself? I thought maybe i could just search for the dvd title and just chose my own artwork that i like and put it on the movie folder or what ever it lets me do.

450 movies sounds sweet on just a 750 gig drive.

What about the power supply? does each unit need its own power pack? can it be rigged up to 1 plug powers both units?

Also i read on youtube that people thing the transfer is slow. from the PC to the storage unit?

What would you guess is the total time per movie to rip to MP4 then transfer to the HDD?

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #7 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

Sweet, so you store the netflix movies on the external drive? Im using blockbusteronline.

I guess you could rip netflix movies, but all of mine are ones I own.

Quote:

What was the cost of the dvd artwork? why couldnt you do that yourself? I thought maybe i could just search for the dvd title and just chose my own artwork that i like and put it on the movie folder or what ever it lets me do.

I use NetFlix.com to get the artwork in a small jpg for free. There are a multitude of sources for DVD/Movie artwork.

Quote:

450 movies sounds sweet on just a 750 gig drive.

What about the power supply? does each unit need its own power pack? can it be rigged up to 1 plug powers both units?

The WDTV uses a little wall-wart power supply, my external USB hard drive has a slightly larger wall-wart power supply. I guess you could rig one power supply for both devices, but I've never had a problem finding two plugs.

Quote:

Also i read on youtube that people thing the transfer is slow. from the PC to the storage unit?

USB 2.0 transfer from the PC to the USB external drive isn't as fast as an internal drive, or over a network.... but you only have to do it once for each movie. USB transfer from the external drive to the WDTV is plenty fast for normal DVD movies, it should be fine for HD/Blue-Ray movies too, but I haven't tested that.

Quote:

What would you guess is the total time per movie to rip to MP4 then transfer to the HDD?

On my 2.4GHz Pentium4 Windows XP box, it takes about 20-30 minutes for AnyDVD to remove the copy protection and store the video_ts structure on the internal hard drive, it then takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours per movie for HandBrake to transcode from the DVD MPG2 format to MP4 format. It just takes a few minutes to have Tag&Rename to insert the cover art into the MP4 file.

I usually use AnyDVD to rip 3 or 4 DVD's, then queue them up in HandBrake and let it work overnight to transcode them.

Stan

post #8 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post

I guess you could rip netflix movies, but all of mine are ones I own.

I use NetFlix.com to get the artwork in a small jpg for free. There are a multitude of sources for DVD/Movie artwork.

The WDTV uses a little wall-wart power supply, my external USB hard drive has a slightly larger wall-wart power supply. I guess you could rig one power supply for both devices, but I've never had a problem finding two plugs.

USB 2.0 transfer from the PC to the USB external drive isn't as fast as an internal drive, or over a network.... but you only have to do it once for each movie. USB transfer from the external drive to the WDTV is plenty fast for normal DVD movies, it should be fine for HD/Blue-Ray movies too, but I haven't tested that.

On my 2.4GHz Pentium4 Windows XP box, it takes about 20-30 minutes for AnyDVD to remove the copy protection and store the video_ts structure on the internal hard drive, it then takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours per movie for HandBrake to transcode from the DVD MPG2 format to MP4 format. It just takes a few minutes to have Tag&Rename to insert the cover art into the MP4 file.

I usually use AnyDVD to rip 3 or 4 DVD's, then queue them up in HandBrake and let it work overnight to transcode them.

wow, thats alot of time per movie. I think mine takes about 30 minutes toremove the copy protection then transcode to a 4.7G file size. I could transcode them directly to the external drive though couldnt i?

If it takes 2-4 hours at 350 movies that would take days to convert them all just to save a little space. I do have 3 machines though. 1 like yours over clocked to 3.0G and then 2 older AMD 2G machines.

Thanks for the info

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #9 of 21 Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 AM

yes... it will take some time.
if quality is not your issue, i would just use (dvdshrink + anydvd) and backup movie only target the backup as ISO. wd will play that with no problem. this way each dvd will be 4gb and there is no need to convert them to mp4.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well i like the price of the WD but i like that one popcorn gui that has the full pages of covers and i also like how the drive slides into the popcorn.

Ide rather have 1 unit, one plugin

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #11 of 21 Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 AM

I use DvdFab to copy the main movie portion of the dvd to an .iso image. If you connect the usb hard drive that you will be using with the WDTV to your computer, then you can rip and copy to your wdtv's hard drive in one shot. My wdtv is up to the latest firmware 1.02.04 and i have no problems watching my dvds in .iso format. Just change your audio settings to stereo unless you are using the Toslink cable to your stereo.
I like this also because these .iso images are my actual backups which i can always burn back to DVD if I had to. As for time, my computer has an old socket 478 Pentium4 2.2 GHz with 1 Gb of RAM and I can rip a typical 4.7 GB DVD to .iso in about 20 minutes. If the DVD is dual layer (8.5 GB) it will take just a little longer to rip the main movie which always in both cases ends up smaller than the 4.7 or 8.5 GB. Good luck with however you decide to do it!!
post #12 of 21 Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well im leaning more tward the WDtv now that i find out the $250. popcorn does not have a drive. I could probobly get the WD and a 1TB drive for less then the popcorn hour. I like the idea of 1 unit but not for that price.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #13 of 21 Old 04-18-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:

wow, thats alot of time per movie. I think mine takes about 30 minutes toremove the copy protection then transcode to a 4.7G file size. I could transcode them directly to the external drive though couldnt i?

If it takes 2-4 hours at 350 movies that would take days to convert them all just to save a little space. I do have 3 machines though. 1 like yours over clocked to 3.0G and then 2 older AMD 2G machines.

Thanks for the info

Yeah, it takes time to transcode, but since it is happening overnight, and it is queued up, I didn't worry about it. I would generally rip a few DVDs while watching evening TV, then let the transcoding work overnight... It took about a month to do the main part of my collection at a rate of 3-4 a night. I finished up the rest of it over the next few months. Now I have a routine that I do every time I get a new DVD. It doesn't take much "face time" in front of the computer, and I have a converted file waiting for me in the morning.

Most of the movies went from 4-7GB down to 1-1.5GB when transcoding to MP4. That let me put them all on my network RAID5 box, with my external 750GB USB drive being a backup.

My TiVoHD can also play the MP4 movies, and when using a current version pyTivo, I can push the MP4 movies to the TiVoHD easily and quickly. That is what I use on my main TV.

When I'm away, I can use the WDTV and the external drive to watch any of my movies... Many hotel TVs have a composite input, and most flat panels have an HDMI input.

Stan

post #14 of 21 Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM

for my WDTV i use "make mkv" http://www.makemkv.com/ its free for dvd use.

rips the dvd to mkv, keeping audio/video/subtitles untouched.

simply add a .jpg to give you the cover art. you wont have genre or imdb rating or anything like that, but if you own the dvd you usually know what its about!
post #15 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm using DVDFab HD Decrypter (the free version) in Windows for ripping my DVDs. It can work through any of the copy protections that make backups difficult. I then boot into Ubuntu Linux and use Handbrake to encode to MKV files. Of course Handbrake is available on Windows as well, but the Linux and Mac versions are more feature rich.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wich file type is better? ISO? MKV? it would be nice to be able to burn to a disk if i need to.

I thought ide just use 1click dvd copy wich im using now. I read it can read VOB file types right?

Im really more concerned with the time it takes over space and ide like it to keep the surround audio because i plan to use the player on my own setup as well as a friends.

I dont have an HD dvd drive on the computer i plan to rip the DVDs on will i need one to convert these?

I have an HD-A3 and i wanted to get a few HD disks but my computer DVD wouldnt read that dvd type.

I only wanted to spend about an hour on each movie if its possible to convert them in that amount of time as small as i can.

1click does it in about 30min but its about 4.7G per movie.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #17 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao View Post

for my WDTV i use "make mkv" http://www.makemkv.com/ its free for dvd use.

rips the dvd to mkv, keeping audio/video/subtitles untouched.

simply add a .jpg to give you the cover art. you wont have genre or imdb rating or anything like that, but if you own the dvd you usually know what its about!

I just tried that program, it was fast but the file was about 2X as large as what im using now. Im sure it looks better but so far the 1click dvd is working good enough i cant tell any difference between and original disk and one i backup so so far ill stick with what im using for now.

The program im using also has a slide and i can move it and use maximum compression, chose wich files i want to convert and pick 6ch audio or 2ch wich can save some space also.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #18 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Wich file type is better? ISO? MKV? it would be nice to be able to burn to a disk if i need to.

I thought ide just use 1click dvd copy wich im using now. I read it can read VOB file types right?

Im really more concerned with the time it takes over space and ide like it to keep the surround audio because i plan to use the player on my own setup as well as a friends.

I only wanted to spend about an hour on each movie if its possible to convert them in that amount of time as small as i can.

1click does it in about 30min but its about 4.7G per movie.

An ISO file is basically just a disc image (like a DVD) in another format. MKV is a container made for different types of media files -- sort of like a bucket that you can pour your chosen video and audio into.

If your trying to save time, but not as much concerned about space, then I would definitely go for the raw DVD in ISO or VOB format. If you are happy with 1click program then stick with that. I've had excellent results with DVDFab HD Decrypter (google for the free version). It usually takes 20 minutes or less for a full DVD disk rip (of course it depends on your drive and condition of your DVD). Add another five or less minutes in DVDShrink if you want to convert it to ISO format and your still way under your hour target. In both DVDFab or DVD Shrink you have the option of choosing if you want to strip out language files or sub files or even just rip the main feature.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Hi, I've ripped a dozen DVDs using DVDFab HD Decrypter. What is the purpose of DVDShrink (convert VOB to ISO?). Sorry, I'm a noob at this.

Once in ISO, WDTV can play the file, yes?

If I had a NMT like PCH, it would just play whatever's in the Video_TS file, yes?

I think the clouds are slowly parting, but I should wait for confirmation first

Thanks
post #20 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM

In iso format it keeps the files neat inside a container instead of an army of different lil vod's of 1 gig each. I'm using Handbreak to make my 5-10 gig movies into 1-2gigs with h.264. Works amazing same quality and all only problem is it takes 2-4 hours to process each movie O_O average of 15 frames per second so u get the idea (using a core 2 duo 6600) getting a new 4 core phenom II 940 hopefully it will cut the time by half. I use subrip to convert(extract actually) the DVD's decrypted .vod's into an .srt text subtitle( dvd subs are pictures so it needs a program that reads pictures and transfer them to text, this program is amazing) Both programs are free.

After converting the vod's into a non subtittled .mkv with the h.264 video frames and ac3(handbrake doesnt put soft subs only print them on the screen for ever(hard subs) if you want with it) i use mkvmergeGUI and unify the .srt and the new mkv with the h.264 video/ac3 audio inside into a new .mkv.

End result, a file 1/4th the size, same quality and with digital subtitles
post #21 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I do this, only I convert all my files to h.264 for use with my hacked apple tv. Rip dvds to HDD using dvd shrink and convert using handbrake. Like said before, this takes ~2 hrs per movie. You dont actually have to rip them using dvd shrink first, reason I do is b/c handbrake can que up a bunch of files if I rip them to hdd first, and then I can run it overnight or while I'm at work. Fantastic quality, and the apple tv now has all my music and movies right there. And the external hdd I use to store them can be transported anywhere - its great.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page