Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikNYC View Post

Please make an option so people who don't use subtitles, had ability to shut it OFF by default!!!

Please...Please....Please...i'm on my knees, begging-----these subs drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Optional features shouldn't be on by default!!!!!!!

I am 100% behind you on this one.

I mean it can't be that hard, can it?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:03 AM

Can anyone confirm if the broken Rewind from 1.02.04 is fixed in 1.02.06?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udax View Post

Can anyone confirm if the broken Rewind from 1.02.04 is fixed in 1.02.06?

Yep, I can confirm it's fixed in this release.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:52 AM

Fixed items on 1.02.06:

*Subtitle outline needs to be thicker > check!

*Drives don't spin down when ejected in 1.02.03 > check! hooray!!

*Thumbnails don't refresh to reflect changes until House is powercycled > haven't tested yet

*"Now Playing" screen doesn't show up > uhn?

*2x Reverse goes very fast > check!

re- re-EDIT: NOT Fixed B]Extra s p a c i n g between letters[/b]
Old 04-18-2009, 01:01 AM

Liked: 14
Scott i am a greek guy.

Thanks for the update but please fix the greek subtitles!

They are complete out of sync and are not readable at all! They were fine in your first official release (1.02.02)...

Thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 AM

With the release of this 1.02.06 i think it's about time to take a look back at the bugs compiled by Monkeyface66 at the BUG LIST & feature request thread. It will show that WD has in fact made progress with our little machines and that, although there's still a long way to get to perfection, improvements have been made.

OTOH, it is also funny to remember the days when the naysayers thought that ScottWD and GuyWD were not from WD, and that no bugs would be crushed, and so on.

Here it is, then:

* External subtitles (srt, ass, ssa) are out of sync most of the time. - SOLVED

* If external subtitles have two or more lines inside them, the -last- line is not centered. - SOLVED

* Embededed subtitles stop being displayed approx. 10 seconds before the end of the video file is reached. - Solved? Can someone confirm this, please?

* Embededed subtitles are rendered a lot uglier than external subtitles - SOLVED

* Words are cut right in the middle and continued in the second line when subtitle lines exceed the display width. - Solved? Can someone confirm this, please? (my subs are all trimmed previously in Subtitle Workshop)

* Embedded subtitles disappear, when the "displace image" function (repositioning of the picture) or the "zoom" feature is used during video playback with activated subtitles. - STILL AN ISSUE.

* In "1080p 24Hz" display resolution mode, 23.976 fps video files (e.g. .M2TS) suffer a short stuttering/juddering in an exactly 40-seconds cycle. - STILL AN ISSUE.

* In "1080p 24Hz" display resolution mode, 23.976 fps video files in .MKV containers stutter extremely hard every ~25 seconds for about 10 seconds. - SOLVED

* USB power is not entirely cut off when USB storage drives are ejected or the WD TV is shut down via remote. - STILL AN ISSUE.

* There is a weird "black level" issue that affects the HDMI video output in a different way depending on 1) the selected resolution in the settings menu (AUTO or a fixed resolution) and 2) the video file. - Solved? Can someone confirm this, please?

* Skipping/stuttering DTS audio issue through digital optical out about every 10 seconds in many .MKV container video files. - SOLVED

* FF and REV (+10 minute jumps) do not work properly during playback of many .MPG, .MPV, .M4V, .VOB and .M2TS files. - Apparently solved, please someone confirm.

* The correct "display aspect ratio" should be read out off the provided .IFO file when a DVD-VIDEO .ISO file or a DVD-VIDEO folder is played back. - Unlikely to be solved for ISO files, they are not officially supported. Still and issue with vob files.

* The "Scanning the attached USB device ..." notification does pop-up when "media library" is set to ON, but NOT when "media library" is set to OFF. - NOT AN ISSUE, apparently.

* The "disk volume name to folder navigation in list mode" feature seems not to work properly. (Or there is a misunderstanding in its real function). It still says "USB1" and "USB2". - STILL AN ISSUE.

* System fonts sizes and subtitle font sizes are too small when COMPOSITE output is used on a CRT TV. - Solved for some who are happy with the 40 size subs, others still believe it's too small.

* It seems that a fixed gain is applied to the audio tracks during playback. - STILL AN ISSUE.

* 24bit/96KHz FLAC audio files get internally down-sampled to 48KHz through digital optical out whereas they should be passed through untouched. - STILL AN ISSUE.

* The WD TV sometimes sounds “jittery” during playback of lenghty audio files (e.g. flac image files bigger than 100.000 KBytes or large WAV files). - Solved? Can someone confirm this, please?

* The CURSOR buttons on the remote react inverted (left = right, up = down) when the "displace image" function (repositioning of the picture) is used during photo and video playback. - STILL AN ISSUE.

* The screen shows "Please select the device you would like to eject" when the previously selected drive is being ejected instead of something like "please wait while the drive is being ejected" - STILL AN ISSUE.

Stats:
20 bugs
Solved - 5
Unsure - 6
Not yet solved - 8
Partially solved (some users still not happy) - 1

Ok folks, please help me confirm the unsure ones
Old 04-18-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Scott i am a greek guy.

Thanks for the update but please fix the greek subtitles!

They are complete out of sync and are not readable at all! They were fine in your first official release (1.02.02)...

Thanks

Hi Polakis,
I've sent the link for my video where the problem with greek subs is plain to see to GuyWD and he confirmed me that it's clear now for them and that he will forward the video to the dev team
Old 04-18-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

Well I noticed one thing.

WDTV now scans my 2 HD's alot faster.

Things still broken I can confirm.

Subtitles in MKV still default to on all the time.
2 or more HDs on a USB hub still doesn't sort the HD by alphabetical.

Scanning my Drive Mybook elements 1TB took before 7 minutes.
Now its around 2 minutes. Great job WD .
Yes, subs are on and would be not a big deal if they were in dutch hahaha.
There was some other weird thing.
I was starting a mkv movie(720p) and I forgot to change the resolution.
After I changed that, and resumed the movie, it was frozen.
So I tried to start another movie, but it still returned to the movie that was frozen
The only way to start all over again was to reset the WD-TV
Old 04-18-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote Wicker_man

* USB power is not entirely cut off when USB storage drives are ejected or the WD TV is shut down via remote. - Apparently solved, please someone else confirm, mine are cut off now.

NOT Solved, after shutdown my WD mybook elements is still spinning
Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdad View Post

Quote Wicker_man

* USB power is not entirely cut off when USB storage drives are ejected or the WD TV is shut down via remote. - Apparently solved, please someone else confirm, mine are cut off now.

NOT Solved, after shutdown my WD mybook elements is still spinning

Really? My 2,5'' does... i think
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

Well I noticed one thing.

WDTV now scans my 2 HD's alot faster.

Me too, back to 15 seconds to detect and scan my 1TB Elements drive

Much better than the 60-90 seconds that it had been.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 AM

Thanks to WD for the great support so far.

My obvervations of this new firmware.

Positives

1) Scanning of drives is now incredibly fast, less than 1 min for 2x1.5TB drives (Originally took over 5mins in 1.02.00)

2) Thumbnails appear to be even faster now, & refresh once new media has been added, without having to be reset. Menu's appear more responsive.

3) Powering down, never had any issues with this due to using a docking station with its own powering down. Just tested with a seagate freeagent, and can confirm that it does spin down.

However:

When output is set at 1080p\\50hz Blu-ray m2ts files now suffer from some stuttering/Juddering when panning. If the output is set @ 1080\\24p or 1080\\60hz this stuttering is not evident & playback is very smooth. Does anybody else see this?

Previously had no such problems on any of these output settings

Thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post

However:

When output is set at 1080p\\50hz Blu-ray m2ts files now suffer from some stuttering/Juddering when panning. If the output is set @ 1080\\24p or 1080\\60hz this stuttering is not evident & playback is very smooth. Does anybody else see this?

Thanks

I believe 99% of bluray films ARE 24Hz so it is normal it is smooth at 24Hz or just micro-stuttering at 60Hz...I'm puzzled at why it was smooth at 50Hz before, unless it's a video source 50Hz bluray (some concerts and shows) or you TV does something to smooth out stuttering...

but theoretically, 24Hz and NOT 50Hz should be smooth for bluray movie releases...
Old 04-18-2009, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post

However:

Thanks

23.976 @ 50hz SHOULD be jerky, the frame rates aren't compatible. 23 @ 24p should be perfect panning, and 23 @60Hz should have 3:2 pulldown.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 AM

Important "offtopic"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16291646

My last post on this forum! Goodbye everyone! Being nice to be here with some people!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

I believe 99% of bluray films ARE 24Hz so it is normal it is smooth at 24Hz or just micro-stuttering at 60Hz...I'm puzzled at why it was smooth at 50Hz before, unless it's a video source 50Hz bluray (some concerts and shows) or you TV does something to smooth out stuttering...

but theoretically, 24Hz and NOT 50Hz should be smooth for bluray movie releases...

Agreed.

If anything 50hz was smoother than 24p until they fixed it in the last firmware but there definiately wasn't any noticible juddering @50hz previously. Oh well I'm not too bothered as I switch from 50 to 24 for blu-ray anyway Just thought I'd point it out, and see if anybody else had noticed.

Thanks for the reply - Cheers.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao View Post

23.976 @ 50hz SHOULD be jerky, the frame rates aren't compatible. 23 @ 24p should be perfect panning, and 23 @60Hz should have 3:2 pulldown.

Thanks for the reply, makes sense, just never noticed it before on 50Hz.

Cheers.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:30 AM

Here I am again trying to put some order in the chaos. :-) Actually, it's not so chaotic at the moment, but anyway

Let's work together to put some structure in the WDTV discussion on this Forum:
-> bugs, findings and comments SPECIFIC to beta firmware 1.02.06 -> separate thread: WD HD TV -1.02.06 Prerelease (you're in it)

-> end-user questions (how to...) and discussion about the WDTV in general -> main thread *New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player

-> long term feature requests and discussion about missing features (anything not announced in the 1.02 release notes) -> main bug thread: BUG LIST & FEATURE REQUEST thread Thanks... from everyone

WD TV Wiki: info for users, by users
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 AM

In my case, my WD mybook essential 1T does spins down when USB storage drive is ejected but doesn't when the WD TV is shut down by remote.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Pupkin View Post

I'm out of the town for the weekend. Can somebody please post a picture showing the new subtitles?

+1 please

I thought the screenshot of 1.02.04 subs outline was just fine, so I'm afraid when I hear it's now a lot thickened.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 AM

Ok, I see user "trouble2000" posted a screenshot in the 1.02.04 thread comparing the subs. I'm attaching it here, to keep discussion on the right thread...

I think 1.02.04 (thin outline) is much better in this screenshot, than the fat 1.02.06 . But I'll need to see it on my own TV before I start complaining

Old 04-18-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_be9300 View Post

+1 please

I thought the screenshot of 1.02.04 subs outline was just fine, so I'm afraid when I hear it's now a lot thickened.

+2 I also think the blacks around the text is now to thick and blocky... Maybe 30% more than 1.02.04 would be nice...
Old 04-18-2009, 03:03 AM

I guess the outline problem seems to stem from the fact that we all have different tvs, using different technologies. With 1.02.04, on my (CRT) tv, the outline was barely visible.

Now, with 1.02.06 it's visible, and doesn't appear as thick as in trouble2000's picture - maybe he has an LCD or Plasma tv.

All of this basically shows that there is the need for a menu item, on settings, to choose different outline thickness.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidarta View Post

Yes my friend. You´re right. By the way, .ISO files are not "officially" supported too, and alll my files are in ISO format and plays well! But, as matter of fact, did you saw any "official improvement" about ISO files on afficial releases? I don´t think so! DVD chapters support or DVD menu support in ISO files would be great, but how it could be done if the format isn´t officially supported yet? Anyway, i was thinking to buy 2 external drivers (1.5 Tb each one) to use with a good USB hub (external powered hub, to more compatibility). With your experience, do you think that my HDs (2 x 1.5 = 3Tb) will be recognized "overlapping" limitation of 2Tb per USB port? As you said, things "on paper" are quite different than real life... Would be great if works...

there is no 2gb limit per usb port... i have had 4.5 TBs of hard drives hooked up on one port with a powered USB hub...works just fine! the only catch is you have to view each hard drive as a folder...you cant view all at once on one page(view all movies) not a big deal, at least we are able to expand the size of our library...we cant have everything people!! be happy USB hubs work period! hubs work when they werent supposed too...and now we have people complaining that they cant view all movies at once...boo hoo hoo maybe it will be fixed/added later...but for now, be happy with what we got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikNYC View Post

Please make an option so people who don't use subtitles, had ability to shut it OFF by default!!!

Please...Please....Please...i'm on my knees, begging-----these subs drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Optional features shouldn't be on by default!!!!!!!

100% agree!! its not fair for users who dont want subs to have to turn them off every freakin time we play a movie...and it is not fair for users who need subs to have to turn them on everytime! simple solution is to add auto subs option to be turned on/off by user! this is the only logical solution to let all be happy...but if they had to go with one option... it would have to be turned off by default! i have never had subs autostart on ANY dvd or bluray player i have ever owned! it was always an option i had to turn ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_man View Post

With the release of this 1.02.06 i think it's about time to take a look back at the bugs compiled by Monkeyface66 at the BUG LIST & feature request thread. It will show that WD has in fact made progress with our little machines and that, although there's still a long way to get to perfection, improvements have been made.

OTOH, it is also funny to remember the days when the naysayers thought that ScottWD and GuyWD were not from WD, and that no bugs would be crushed, and so on.

Here it is, then:

* Skipping/stuttering DTS audio issue through digital optical out about every 10 seconds in many .MKV container video files. - Solved? Can someone confirm this, please?

DTS playback is 100% resolved! I only had 3-4 files out of 600+ MKVs that had stutter problem...all of them play perfect now with last 2 firmware betas! Even 2 files that had stutter problem were AC3...those were also fixed...so in general.. Audio playback has been significantly improved

* The "Scanning the attached USB device ..." notification does pop-up when "media library" is set to ON, but NOT when "media library" is set to OFF. - STILL AN ISSUE.

this was never a problem...if you have media library turned off...the WDTV is NOT supposed to scan the drive...lol that is the whole point of media library.. to scan the drive for new movies,new thumbs,new playlists, and to index all movies, so it can perform functions such as SEARCH, and show RECENTLY VIEWED files,etc... when library is turned off... it doesnt scan for these changes... instead, it does the scan of the folder you are in as soon as you enter it...it does it on the fly... so it is NOT supposed to show the "scanning hard drive" when media library is TURNED OFF..

* It seems that a fixed gain is applied to the audio tracks during playback. - STILL AN ISSUE.

never heard of this?? i have an input level adjustment for my fiber optic input on my AVR... so i have never experienced a gain that was unwanted..

* The screen shows "Please select the device you would like to eject" when the previously selected drive is being ejected instead of something like "please wait while the drive is being ejected" - STILL AN ISSUE.
people just have to be smart enough to wait until the spinning icon goes away...simple enoughStats:

Ok folks, please help me confirm the unsure ones

Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 AM

thanks dandaman, i've updated my bug post according to your info and my own thoughts on those subjects.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:44 AM

THERE IS STILL A BUG WITH SUBTITLES
When I move the image up or down the subtitles disappear. With the version WDTV_FW_1_01_02 this didn´t happened.
I hoppe that will be solved in a future firmware.
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrixbat View Post

THERE IS STILL A BUG WITH SUBTITLES
When I move the image up or down the subtitles disappear. With the version WDTV_FW_1_01_02 this didn´t happened.
I hoppe that will be solved in a future firmware.
Thanks.

are you sure it didn't happen with that firmware? I thought there was no fw that allowed for that... maybe i'm mistaken.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:56 AM

There are still some issues playing MKVs.

Media Info and kind of problem is attached.

Stuttering Audio every 2-3 secs for a split second:
Quote:

General
Format : Matroska
File size : 6,95 GiB
Duration : 2h 9min
Overall bit rate : 7 699 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-04-07 13:57:43
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.1 ('Use Me') built on Dec 5 2008 18:30:05
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Ja
Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 6 294 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 6 628 Kbps
Width : 1 280 Pixel
Height : 720 Pixel
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23,976 FPS
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : progressiv
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.285
Writing library : x264 core 58 r798M 17e5dac
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=10,2 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=6628 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.5:13.0
Language : Deutsch

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : konstant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 Kanäle
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48,0 KHz
Title : AC3 5.1 - 640 Kb/s
Language : Deutsch

Audio #2
ID : 3
Bit rate mode : konstant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 Kanäle
Sampling rate : 48,0 KHz
Title : AC3 5.1 - 640 Kb/s
Language : Englisch

Text
ID : 4
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Language : Englisch

Stuttering Audio every 2-3 secs for a split second:
Quote:

General
File size : 7.35 GiB
Duration : 1h 31mn
Overall bit rate : 11.5 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-02-10 19:21:50
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.2 ('Oh My God') built on Jan 18 2009 17:30:28

Video
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Bit rate : 10.5 Mbps
Nominal bit rate : 11.5 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.400
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Original frame rate : 25.000 fps
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.286
Writing library : x264 core 65 r1074M b6bb3d4
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=11500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=20000 / vbv_bufsize=20000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Language : German

Audio
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Playing choppy:
Quote:

General
File size : 7.95 GiB
Duration : 1h 46mn
Overall bit rate : 10.7 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2008-02-03 13:00:43
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07

Video
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@5.1
Bit rate : 9 476 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 9 904 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 040 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.198
Title : Video
Writing library : x264 core 57 svn-714
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=hex / subme=6 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=9904 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30

Audio
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 768 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Title : German (DTS)

/cheers
Old 04-18-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwk View Post

the size is ok now, but the black should be less and the white should me more...

+1 Less black outline (and a little smoother), and more white would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwk View Post

Plz. make the subtitles look more like this :

I like them. Another example of good done subtitles (from XBMC - XBox Media Center):

And thank you for the FW update. Fast and good job ;-)