What do you think of ION? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
vanylapep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


http://hothardware.com/News/First-NV...er-AspireRevo/

http://en.expreview.com/2009/04/20/z...the-works.html

Killer product? I'm wondering if the video output is better quality than Bluray players and WTDV..?
vanylapep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sean_w_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Altos, CA and Huntsville, UT
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Its looks to be a promising platform..

your question is a SW question?

and since the platform has not shipped yet and no one has released software for it. we will just have to wait or see....

but then again that never stopped idle speculation on the internet before...

Sean
sean_w_smith is offline  
post #3 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Member
 
MrMod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's just another SFF computer that could be turned into a HTPC. So more flexibility but I'm sure it'll cost more than a dedicated media player.

-Mod
MrMod is offline  
post #4 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
vanylapep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In a press briefing today NVIDIA commented that while the Acer AspireRevo offers a single-core Atom implementation, that dual core Atom-based Ion products will be forth coming. In addition, NVIDIA plans to foster VIA-based Ion designs as well. Pricing for the AspireRevo, though not confirmed just yet, is expected to be around the $299 mark. Availability for the AspireRevo is TBD currently but we will update this news release as more details become available -- and of course, we're looking forward to giving you a hands-on view of the AspireRevo in the weeks ahead as well.
vanylapep is offline  
post #5 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Member
 
ovexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
here's a review of the ION platform: w w w.guru3d.com/article/nvidia-ion-platform-review-preview/6
It doesn't look like it's going to replace the dedicated HD players like WDTV or PCH due to lack of X264 support in their GPU.
ovexi is offline  
post #6 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Member
 
ex2014jf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBMC for linux is getting Nvidia GPU decoding support (at the moment it is still in development) but eventually once released XBMC Live (which is a XBMC disto) could be the killer app for this box as the GPU will do the video decoding & handle the UI.

If it all works out then it could be a very good competitor to networked media tanks which have generally poor UI's compared to the slick one(s) in XBMC.
ex2014jf is offline  
post #7 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
simpleHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post



http://hothardware.com/News/First-NV...er-AspireRevo/

http://en.expreview.com/2009/04/20/z...the-works.html

Killer product? I'm wondering if the video output is better quality than Bluray players and WTDV..?

If it can play BluRay and H.264 without stuttering, yes it's a killer product. I'll scrap my HTPC to make room for this one.
simpleHT is offline  
post #8 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
high_definitely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

If it can play BluRay and H.264 without stuttering, yes it's a killer product.

It will be able to, thanks to hardware acceleration by the graphics chip.

ION has huge potential, and is a real threat to all the more expensive streamers like Popcornhour etc. It won't be that much more expensive (starting around ~$300; dual-core Atom will be more expensive), but much more powerful and flexible. And it seems like the XBMC community is going to port their software to this platform in future, making it an excellent choice for a streaming / HTPC solution - relatively cheap, powerful and low energy consumption
high_definitely is offline  
post #9 of 217 Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sean_w_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Altos, CA and Huntsville, UT
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yep, I'm giddy like a school girl thinking of XBMC on this playing BD rips with lossless audio and 24 bit FLAC files all with the super sweet interface and functionality of XBMC. can't wait....

Sean
sean_w_smith is offline  
post #10 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have had a Zotac IONITX-A-U motherboard for a couple of weeks now.

http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx...therboard.html

i built a pc using this case...

http://www.mini-box.com/M350-univers...-itx-enclosure

total cost of the pc was $265 including shipping.

- motherboard $190 from amazon
- RAM $20 newegg
- case $55 including shipping and screws to mount on back of tv/monitor.

Note: pick whatever hdd you want to add. i left it out in case you want to compare price to popcorn hour or other devices that come without hdd. i paid $240 for popcorn hour including the shipping.

i am running windows 7 rc 32bit. I also setup a dual boot drive with win7 64bit and ubuntu linux. IMO when this board has been around for a while so that more people can get involved, it should be possible to easily use linux free o/s. so, the o/s should be free once things get going. however, win7 IMO is a killer o/s. I think it will be worth the extra $. win7 should be out in oct/nov.

my short answer:

I am very impressed with this pc. It plays 1080p mkv files no problem... and all other files i throw at it. my popcorn hour is going on ebay.

lets get this one out of the way....

one flaw: there is no bitstreaming of hd audio. however, since i am a long time htpc user, i couldn't care less about this. if i rip movies i convert the audio to flac lossless audio. the pc converts the flac to up to 7.1 LPCM over hdmi. it sounds exactly the same.

my long answer:

advantages over an nmt-type devices...

1) - yiou can choose whatever case you want (note: popcorn hour has a mobo only option also but it is not cheap)

i chose to use a case (m350) that mounts on the back of the tv. it also has a compartment for usb devices. it comes with no power supply which is perfect since the zotac a motherboard already includes the power supply.

BTW zotac has another version that doesn't include the onboard power supply....

http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx...therboard.html

- motherboard $170 from amazon
- RAM $20 newegg
- case $40-$60 or more if you prefer - look at mini-itx cases with power supply from whatever retailer you prefer.

System cost for this setup is lower than mine because you can get a case with power supply for what i paid for the M350 case. So, with this configuration (and a bigger case) the total would be about $240.

2) choice of cpu

both of these boards mentioned above include the N330 dual core atom processor. Zotac also makes versions of the board for less $ that include the slower single core processor. I have no experience with those boards. i have attached a copy of the windows "experience index" for my pc.

3) includes...

- gigabit ethernet
- wireless 802.11 b/g/n
- esata port
- 3 sata ports on the board
- 6 usb ports (4 more on mobo pins)
- hdmi, dvi, vga outputs. supports dual displays if one is vga.
- SPDIF coax and optical
- 5.1 analog out
- 7.1 over hdmi

4) addons...

i installed a usb tv tuner in the usb compartment of the m350 case (one reason i wanted that case + it is tiny).

full support for addon rom drives (obviously since it is a pc). i tested with a $50 rosewill usb powered external dvd burner and an lg bd/hddvd combo drive.

it will play bd/hddvd/dvd off disc with the right software... if you want to do that.

etc.....
LL
oliverjg is offline  
post #11 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sean_w_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Altos, CA and Huntsville, UT
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Once the XBMC Live gets stabilized for this and they get 7.1 Lossless audio pass through I can sell the PCH and retire some old xboxes..... until then I am waiting not so patiently.

can't wait for lossless audio and support for 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC from XBMC
sean_w_smith is offline  
post #12 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Member
 
pege63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why dont use Zotac N330 motherboard there u have it all
LL
pege63 is offline  
post #13 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Member
 
mvallevand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a ASRock ION 330 for $400 CDN and while it works well with mpc hc with Win 7 RC1, you don't have the integrated feeling of running on an extender. The free ride with Win 7 hides the fact a Windows solution is not cheap solution. Add in an MCE remote the OS, and PowerDVD or whatever you need to run BluRay (excluding the external BD-ROM) I figure it will cost $600.

I expect XBMC Live will be great, but since you lose being able to surf Windows Silverlight crap and other M$ online content only available via IE that is so hard to play with Linux, I think at the end of the day be forced to Windows to get value in the ION over an extender. I still figure on using my PCH more than the ION.

Martin
mvallevand is offline  
post #14 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post

I picked up a ASRock ION 330 for $400 CDN and while it works well with mpc hc with Win 7 RC1, you don't have the integrated feeling of running on an extender. The free ride with Win 7 hides the fact a Windows solution is not cheap solution. Add in an MCE remote the OS, and PowerDVD or whatever you need to run BluRay (excluding the external BD-ROM) I figure it will cost $600.

I expect XBMC Live will be great, but since you lose being able to surf Windows Silverlight crap and other M$ online content only available via IE that is so hard to play with Linux, I think at the end of the day be forced to Windows to get value in the ION over an extender. I still figure on using my PCH more than the ION.

Martin

martin,

why are you excluding linux for ion? the ion platform can run on linux just as well as a pch if you take the time to configure the software. imo what is needed is a step by step instruction for installing the software from somebody that has done it. a full media center on linux has been done by at least one person. i recall a post about it in the htpc forum.

an mce remote costs $20. how much would it cost to add 802.11n and/or gigabit ethernet to the pch? they want $37 + shipping on the pch website for wireless adapter.

you can't even add powerdvd to the pch to get bd playback at all. you are adding cost to the ion pc for things the pch can't even do. keeping it apples to apples, leave that stuff out and just consider the possibility of adding those features later as a bonus with ion (not a cost penalty as you have presented it).

ion has huge advantages in io hardware (sata raid, esata, usb [10 ports], gigabit, wireless, etc.) vs. pch has an ir remote. personally, i would rather choose a remote that i like.

I don't know where you come up with $600. i paid $265 us for top of the line zotac version with equivalent hardware to pch (see my earlier post). moving down the zotac product line the system cost is actually less than pch. only thing missing is ir remote of your choice + hdd. pch is missing hdd and wireless. giving pch benefit of the doubt i called that a wash.

do YOU have the skills/knowledge to configure the software? i think that is the biggest issue. if you don't have any software configuration skills/patience then you need win7 or a pch. (BTW i have win7 playing 1080p mkv files in media center, not just mpc-hc as you stated) if you want low cost and have software skills you can use ion with linux and have just as good or better as the interface on the pch... for about the same cost or possibly less.

the ion platform has "headroom" ... that is, a lot of untapped potential. for example, you can start with linux and choose to use win7 later. you can add bd playback from disc later. tv tuners, hd pvr, etc.
oliverjg is offline  
post #15 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Member
 
mvallevand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

why are you excluding linux for ion? the ion platform can run on linux just as well as a pch if you take the time to configure the software. imo what is needed is a step by step instruction for installing the software from somebody that has done it. a full media center on linux has been done by at least one person. i recall a post about it in the htpc forum.

Linux is always behind Windows when it comes to online content, I am sure there a going to be many drawn to Boxee. Working BluRay, BD-J, Silverlight and scores of web-sites that play online content that you can only get through IE are my proof of this.

I hate the Microsoft control and I am a linux user if I only wanted linux content a modern media centre is going to be comparable if not better. If figure if you are going to pay the premium for a PC you might as pay the additional premium and get everything

Don't get me wrong I love Plex and probably would like XBMC Live too, but the incremental saving isn't proven.

Quote:


an mce remote costs $20. how much would it cost to add 802.11n and/or gigabit ethernet to the pch? they want $37 + shipping on the pch website for wireless adapter.

I consider wireless a waste of time for HD. I added the same TPLINK USB dongles for the PCH for $22 CDN locally.

Quote:


you can't even add powerdvd to the pch to get bd playback at all. you are adding cost to the ion pc for things the pch can't even do. keeping it apples to apples, leave that stuff out and just consider the possibility of adding those features later as a bonus with ion (not a cost penalty as you have presented it).

In my mind I was comparing the announced BD-ROM capability of the C200 and not the A110. I figure it will cost about $400 too. I also think it will cost a bit more than a minimal XBMC system.

Quote:


ion has huge advantages in io hardware (sata raid, esata, usb [10 ports], gigabit, wireless, etc.) vs. pch has an ir remote. personally, i would rather choose a remote that i like.

There is no doubt in my mind that that ION is a better platform as a computer. I am not sure that will translate into a better media extender for the majority of the content people want to play.

Quote:


I don't know where you come up with $600. i paid $265 us for top of the line zotac version with equivalent hardware to pch (see my earlier post).

(CDN $) ASRock ION 330 $400 (w 320GB drive and DVD).
Win 7 (with the great h264 support) $120, TANSTAAFL
MCE remote $30
PowerDVD/THC $80.

Quote:


do YOU have the skills/knowledge to configure the software? i think that is the biggest issue. if you don't have any software configuration skills/patience then you need win7 or a pch.

Yes I think so. I wrote an alternative native client that runs on the PCH, that streams livetv etc from GB-PVR. Building XBMC, ffmpeg, kernels etc from scratch is nothing.

Quote:


(BTW i have win7 playing 1080p mkv files in media center, not just mpc-hc as you stated) if you want low cost and have software skills you can use ion with linux and have just as good or better as the interface on the pch... for about the same cost or possibly less.

I installed the haali spliter and can play 1080p mkv in WMP, but mpc hc with EVR has much better performance. DTS downmix and it is close too and probably surpasses the PCH in some ways. There is also the audio issue. I disagree that FLAC is a general solution I consider it a good mask for the limitation of HTPC.

Quote:


the ion platform has "headroom" ... that is, a lot of untapped potential. for example, you can start with linux and choose to use win7 later. you can add bd playback from disc later. tv tuners, hd pvr, etc.

It too will be obsolete every year like every computer. A better PC today will be more future proof, so the issue now is strictly value. If I wanted TV Tuners, an HDPVR I'd buy a cheaper more powerful backend. The PCH client I wrote already has access to analog and digital TV capture, even the HDPVR via GBPVR from a $175 EGreat.

Martin
mvallevand is offline  
post #16 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post

Linux is always behind Windows when it comes to online content, I am sure there a going to be many drawn to Boxee. Working BluRay, BD-J, Silverlight and scores of web-sites that play online content that you can only get through IE are my proof of this.

I hate the Microsoft control and I am a linux user if I only wanted linux content a modern media centre is going to be comparable if not better. If figure if you are going to pay the premium for a PC you might as pay the additional premium and get everything

Don't get me wrong I love Plex and probably would like XBMC Live too, but the incremental saving isn't proven.



I consider wireless a waste of time for HD. I added the same TPLINK USB dongles for the PCH for $22 CDN locally.



In my mind I was comparing the announced BD-ROM capability of the C200 and not the A110. I figure it will cost about $400 too. I also think it will cost a bit more than a minimal XBMC system.



There is no doubt in my mind that that ION is a better platform as a computer. I am not sure that will translate into a better media extender for the majority of the content people want to play.



(CDN $) ASRock ION 330 $400 (w 320GB drive and DVD).
Win 7 (with the great h264 support) $120, TANSTAAFL
MCE remote $30
PowerDVD/THC $80.



Yes I think so. I wrote an alternative native client that runs on the PCH, that streams livetv etc from GB-PVR. Building XBMC, ffmpeg, kernels etc from scratch is nothing.



I installed the haali spliter and can play 1080p mkv in WMP but mpc hc with EVR has much better performance and is closer and surpasses the PCH.



It too will be obsolete every year like every computer. A better PC today will be more future proof, so the issue now is strictly value. If I wanted TV Tuners, an HDPVR I'd buy a cheaper more powerful backend. The PCH client I wrote already has access to analog and digital TV capture, even the HDPVR via GBPVR from a $175 EGreat.

Martin

true. linux is always behind. that is why it makes no sense to me that you are saying linux is ok on an nmt and not ok for the much more powerful ion hardware platform. if anything, it will work better with more powerful hardware.

what premium for the pc? the low end zotac version would be about $200 with the same basic hardware as egreat (mobo, cpu, memory, case). egreat is just a basic linux box with no hdd. linux is free. add it to ion. what is the problem?

you keep adding cost to the ion pc while not requiring the same functionality from the egreat/pch.

if you are going to add a hdd then add that cost to egreat also. you saying you can't use hdd with egreat? i could boot linux on ion with a 4gb usb drive i received for free promotion...or pay $9. but, you don't need this if you want your hdd anyway.

you don't need dvd or hdd. my setup needs no dvd or hdd. if you want these, add the same parts to both systems. for egreat you need external hdd enclosure in that case.

ion mobo (base model, no wireless, no onboard psu) $140. case $40. ram $20= $200. + hdd $60

egreat $175. external hdd enclosure $20. = $195. + hdd $60

your sticking with egreat remote and calling that an advantage is personal choice. many people would throw it in a box and use a universal. BTW i noticed an mce remote on ebay $10.80 free shipping.

all i am saying is that if you want to give a value credit of $20 for a remote then to be fair you need to give a corresponding value credit to ion for all the extra usb ports, estata, sata, etc. for example, i could say egreat needs a usb hub because it doesn't have enough usb ports. so add $20 for a usb hub.

adding $120 for windows os you don't need makes no sense. if anything it is a strike against egreat that it can't run windows if you want it. win7 is really slick imo.

the issue isn't strictly value, it is about putting together a low cost low power tiny footprint but as capable as possible box. buying a more powerful pc just adds cost, power consumption and size.

did you look at the case i used? mounts on the back of the tv if you like.

your argument that the pc goes out of date makes no sense when you are choosing an nmt hardware platform that is drastically less capable. by your logic the nmt hardware is obsolete before you bought it.

anyway, i don't want this to be an argument. IMO you are just not looking at this new ion platform with a fully open mind. you have preconceptions that i don't think apply to everybody. certainly they do not apply to me.
oliverjg is offline  
post #17 of 217 Old 06-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Member
 
ghislain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^^

Very interesting stuff
I wonder how these compare to the more traditional NMT based on Sigma chipsets? Faster, more powerful?
And how about the software support?
ghislain is offline  
post #18 of 217 Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghislain View Post

^^^

Very interesting stuff
I wonder how these compare to the more traditional NMT based on Sigma chipsets? Faster, more powerful?
And how about the software support?

imo the main issue is software configuration. if nobody else does, i will eventually post a configuration guide for linux here. the pc i built runs win7 with little effort. i was impressed since windows is such a resource hog compared to linux. linux is a pita to configure and i have been having too much fun with win7 so i will get back to my linux config... eventually.

now that i have played with the N330 dual core ion board, i would like to have had one of the single core boards to play with to see if it makes much difference with the slower processor.
oliverjg is offline  
post #19 of 217 Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Member
 
mvallevand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

what premium for the pc? the low end zotac version would be about $200 with the same basic hardware as egreat (mobo, cpu, memory, case). egreat is just a basic linux box with no hdd. linux is free. add it to ion. what is the problem?

The first premium I am talking about is any amount spend more than a PCH for a system that cannot play a BD-ROM. Later you can substitute PCH for a cheaper Xtreamer, ASUS etc if they are proven.

As for Zotac, maybe the CDN $ comes into play but a reasonable price for the low end MB is $180 which is about the price of the EGreat by itself. Adding a case/psu, memory, a boot USB (for xmbc live) and remote is going to cost at least 75$ so that's a 40% premium, for arguably not a lot of extra content. I also figure most be should want to upgrade to the premium Zotac and to an A110 so that is about the same.

To really be future-proof and allow for BD-ROM, there really isn't any guarantee about either a current PCH or a current ION on linux. The PCH C-200 and a full fledged Windows PC with a good video card can easily be better and cheaper than the ION. The premium you are paying for the ION is to have something in a media extender form factor. A netbook is not a laptop and an ION is not a full desktop.

Martin
mvallevand is offline  
post #20 of 217 Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post

The first premium I am talking about is any amount spend more than a PCH for a system that cannot play a BD-ROM. Later you can substitute PCH for a cheaper Xtreamer, ASUS etc if they are proven,.

As for Zotac, maybe the CDN $ comes into play but a reasonable price for the low end MB is $180 which is about the price of the EGreat by itself. Adding a case/psu, memory, a boot USB (for xmbc live) and remote is going to cost at least 75$ so that's a 40% premium, for arguably not a lot of extra content. I also figure most be should want to upgrade to the premium Zotac and to an A110 so that is about the same.

To really be future-proof and allow for BD-ROM, there really isn't any guarantee about either a current PCH or a current ION. The PCH C-200 and a full fledged Windows PC with a good video card can easily be better and cheaper than the ION. The premium you are paying for the ION is to have something in a media extender form factor. A netbook is not a laptop and an ION is not a full desktop.

Martin

base zotac ion board is $140 on amazon with free shipping. i got my board there (one of their first in i guess since it has always said pre-order). EDIT: i did some scrounging around for pricing on case, memory, boot usb flash, psu and remote and came up with $50 total. but, people that have built pcs might have that stuff lying around so they don't even need to buy anything.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ionitx&x=0&y=0

from egreat website.....


Quote:


Order Your Egreat Now!

Order your Egreat products now! Shipping is direct from Shenzhen China. You save dealers' costs!.

Choose your own shipping methods - DHL Express or EMS postal service!

Click here to purchase now!

Egreat EG-M34A
[EG-M34A] $145.00

Zone Rates via DHL Express Delivery. Please allow up to 1-2 weeks before shipment starts.
Shipping to United States: 1.5 kg(s) $29.00

not trying to build something future proof here. just trying to say you can build an ion pc for about the same money as an nmt. you must stick to apples to apples comparison of hardware/software.

i am not even recommending it... just syaing it is possible and i personally prefer that idea for my purposes. given that that ion is a "real pc" and can be used for other things. it uses the same memory, addons and software that other pcs use. for somebody who is used to building pcs... this might be a better option then an nmt.... for about the same $.

EDIT: BTW i am playing my mkv files with flac audio on this... not fully tested yet but no problems to note so far.
oliverjg is offline  
post #21 of 217 Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Member
 
mvallevand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

not trying to build something future proof here. just trying to say you can build an ion pc for about the same money as an nmt. you must stick to apples to apples comparison of hardware/software. don't add on things to the pc that egreat can't even do and they claim it costs less.

I really am trying to do apples to apples. We can agree that that an American can get an EGreat shipped complete for 175. Consider Egreatusa too. Using your prices 140 + 20 (memory) + 50 (case) + 20 (remote) and 5 bucks for the USB I count 235 so that is close to 40% assuming no shipping on the Zotac set.

I am not a PCH fanboy and I like a PC solution but it isn't perfect. We haven't talked about SD output which often is a question in a house with several extenders. When you talk 3 extenders each $50 can be important

I am also jealous of US shipping costs we never get the prices you see. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a picoLCD from mini-box for my PCH and because they made a mistake and mailed it UPS, it is going to cost me about $40 shipping for a $50 item.

Martin
mvallevand is offline  
post #22 of 217 Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post

I really am trying to do apples to apples. We can agree that that an American can get an EGreat shipped complete for 175. Consider Egreatusa too. Using your prices 140 + 20 (memory) + 50 (case) + 20 (remote) and 5 bucks for the USB I count 235 so that is close to 40% assuming no shipping on the Zotac set.

I am not a PCH fanboy and I like a PC solution but it isn't perfect. We haven't talked about SD output which often is a question in a house with several extenders. When you talk 3 extenders each $50 can be important

I am also jealous of US shipping costs we never get the prices you see. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a picoLCD from mini-box for my PCH and because they made a mistake and mailed it UPS, it is going to cost me about $40 shipping for a $50 item.

Martin

actually the numbers you used were my first quick scan for prices. after a bit more research. i figured out a way to put it all together for $190. hint: you need to start with the zotac board that costs $160 with the integrated psu.

i didn't think you are a fanboy. you sound like you know your stuff.... IMO you just seem used to trying to build full featured pcs instead of seeing how low you can set the bar and still have something that works.

EDIT: BTW i gave up on sd. for small tv i used an acer 1080p monitor and put the ion on vesa mounts on the back.
oliverjg is offline  
post #23 of 217 Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
here is a link for howto install linux xbmc on zotac ion...

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56305

you can get the low end board from newegg now for $110..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500029


edit: some info. about xbmc on other platforms...

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236

Quote:


Clearly, Sigma isn't interested in releasing their sources.

So, for XBMC to happen on a Sigma-based platform, the following would have to happen:

1. Port XBMC to compile on ARM and/or MIPS
2. Sigma has to release their tarballs
3. These drivers have to support some type of 3D acceleration
4. If this 3D acceleration is not OpenGL compatable, or doesn't have an OGL wrapper, XBMC would have to change it's code to support this new acceleration
5. If all this happened, the ffmpeg project would have to support the video acceleration in the same way that they support VDPAU (as there's no way ANY video can run on a 200Mhz ARM processor, not even SD)


In short, it's not bloody likely.

oliverjg is offline  
post #24 of 217 Old 08-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a new ION platform from Packard Bell. This one is sold in Portugal for 199€... Popcorn hour is 209€.



In its interior it has a processor Intel Atom, graphical plate NVIDIA ION, HD of 160GB or 250GB, card reader "4-in-1" and 2GB of memory RAM. It has six USB, HDMI, Wi-Fi and LAN, without forgetting a small one wireless keyboard, an optic mouse and a wireless game pad, that allow to transform this iMax Mini into a true machine of games. iMax Mini is available in versions with Hard disks of 160GB or 250GB and operative system Windows XP (199€) or Windows Vista (249€). All they include the game SEGA Sonic Heroes and the game SEGA Crazy Taxi 3.

This is the non Dual core version!

So... you get much more for less...

Then if you install XMBC Live, you can even read easily the Killa sample, surf the web, check email, play games, etc... all in your couch!
Afrsa is offline  
post #25 of 217 Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Member
 
strafejumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the ready made ions are looking pretty attractive already



http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/l...s-thinnest-q1/
strafejumper is offline  
post #26 of 217 Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sean_w_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Altos, CA and Huntsville, UT
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

There is a new ION platform from Packard Bell. This one is sold in Portugal for 199... Popcorn hour is 209.



In its interior it has a processor Intel Atom, graphical plate NVIDIA ION, HD of 160GB or 250GB, card reader "4-in-1" and 2GB of memory RAM. It has six USB, HDMI, Wi-Fi and LAN, without forgetting a small one wireless keyboard, an optic mouse and a wireless game pad, that allow to transform this iMax Mini into a true machine of games. iMax Mini is available in versions with Hard disks of 160GB or 250GB and operative system Windows XP (199) or Windows Vista (249). All they include the game SEGA Sonic Heroes and the game SEGA Crazy Taxi 3.

This is the non Dual core version!

So... you get much more for less...

Then if you install XMBC Live, you can even read easily the Killa sample, surf the web, check email, play games, etc... all in your couch!

Thats pretty sweet. comes with the keyboard and all... hopefully they offer this in the US
sean_w_smith is offline  
post #27 of 217 Old 08-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Member
 
ghislain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forget about the single core ION's. They are not up to the task when it comes to handling 1080p streams.
I'll be getting this one tomorrow (which is dual core) and plan to use it with Ubuntu and XBMC. http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp
There is also a version with a BD drive available. To round things up, an even faster ION platform is expected to become available by the end of this year.
ghislain is offline  
post #28 of 217 Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Member
 
JoshG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Single core ION's are more than enough for 1080p streams. I have both a single core and dual core Zotac ION board running XBMC Live and can't tell the difference when playing extremely high bitrate 1080p streaming over the network. In fact I am buying another ION board for XBMC Live and decided the N330 is a waste of money and I'm buying the cheaper single core board.
JoshG is offline  
post #29 of 217 Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oliverjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshG View Post

Single core ION's are more than enough for 1080p streams. I have both a single core and dual core Zotac ION board running XBMC Live and can't tell the difference when playing extremely high bitrate 1080p streaming over the network. In fact I am buying another ION board for XBMC Live and decided the N330 is a waste of money and I'm buying the cheaper single core board.

you beat me to it.

n330 needs hw accel for 1080p just like the single core. since the same hw accel is on both setups, there is no difference for 1080p.

the difference would come in some lower quality content case with no hw accel where the n330 squeaks by and the single core doesn't quite make it. those cases are going away as more and more software uses hw accel.

my next ion will be single core because i want to get rid of the damn fan i need to cool the n330. at first i put it together without the fan and it worked but it got scary hot (on open bench no case with ceiling fan on). i used an ssd so it was very slick having a pc that was absolutely dead silent... no fans.. no drive ticking. that pc has the supplied zotac fan and a normal laptop hdd now. ssd needs a new home....
oliverjg is offline  
post #30 of 217 Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Member
 
strafejumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ssd and ion sounds pretty slick
strafejumper is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off